• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Just entered a random nextgen thread in gaming side.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaamn.

I've never see so many people visibly upset and tightrope walking the ban ledge.

The next couple months are gonna be crazy. Why did SNES have to blow his fanboy load too early twice? He could have potentially went out in a supernova of glory.

His posting days are a grim reflection of the Wii U right now. Done.

squicken

Speaking of poors and fancy folk, any of you bros watch Downton Abbey? Really surprised how much I enjoy this. I figured it was Anglophile wankery but there are some good characters and I can't stop watching!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Speaking of poors and fancy folk, any of you bros watch Downton Abbey? Really surprised how much I enjoy this. I figured it was Anglophile wankery but there are some good characters and I can't stop watching!

I've said before that it's probably one of my favorite shows right now!

Everything that Maggie Smith says is quotable. It's great!

Gobias

Banned
You'd love it. About some rich lordy folks in England in the early 1900s and their servants. Very idealized but soap opera-ish. Rich folk using their wisdom and smarts to helps the poors be better, while learning humanity in return

I always see it on Netflix and think about watching it, but I'm always bored to death with that setting. I found Gosford Park boring, for example. I've seen comparisons to Mad Men though. Are they similar?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I always see it on Netflix and think about watching it, but I'm always bored to death with that setting. I found Gosford Park boring, for example. I've seen comparisons to Mad Men though. Are they similar?

Not entirely. Mad Men is a lot edgier and more depraved by comparison. Mad Men is really boring to me....I never got the appeal.

Downton Abbey is more about class conflict and the sociology around it. There's also your typical drama mixed in along with some historical happenings (like WW1) as time progresses.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
You'd love it. About some rich lordy folks in England in the early 1900s and their servants. Very idealized but soap opera-ish. Rich folk using their wisdom and smarts to helps the poors be better, while learning humanity in return

So like a medieval Different Strokes?

bionic77

That sounds horrible.

What other shows do you like?

squicken

It's got a real Harry Potter thing. All trappings of that era that people are wistful over. The formality and language and castles and all the crap. But people hate the social division and sexism and racism so everyone is all progressive and shit. The employment of the servants is early on couched as either giving them a job and a purpose or putting them out of the street.

I like Mad Men. Just watched Strike Back. S1 is amazing and S2 is poop. Love Archer. Like Fringe but haven't seen the current season yet. Same with Boardwalk Empire. I mostly don't watch current stuff. Let everyone else sort through what's good so I can just burn through the BluRays or Netflix one after one

squicken

Is it all coal miners v. vestigal royalty?

Not so much social class struggle but there is some of that and it's usually groan inducing (only into S2 so far so maybe it gets worse). They seem to throw it in there just to remind the viewers that they are aware of it but then usually it's back to unrequited love etc

It's more inter-personal conflict and scheming and stuff that make it good. There's also this super-villian who I just hate and it makes me keep watching to see him inevitably crushed

squicken

He got arrested as a freshman and was suspended this year for drugs, so pretty big red flags. Still probably doesn't slip past the second round

brentech

5 year engagement available on HBOonDemand, so my wife wanted to watch. I'm a fan of Jason Segal so what the hell. Some great hunting scenes and various bits with him, but a long movie that drones on too long for what it is.

Anyways, a scene with Allison Brie and what's her face doing cookie monster and elmo voices was pretty funny. I'm sure he's scene it, but SNES would approve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvps0Q9-UqQ

eznark

Banned
Not so much social class struggle but there is some of that and it's usually groan inducing (only into S2 so far so maybe it gets worse). They seem to throw it in there just to remind the viewers that they are aware of it but then usually it's back to unrequited love etc

It's more inter-personal conflict and scheming and stuff that make it good. There's also this super-villian who I just hate and it makes me keep watching to see him inevitably crushed

This sounds like a show for Tom Brady.

House of Cards is great!!

Quazar

So niner fans, whats our chance of signing a good WR to help Crabtree? Are the likes of a Harvin, Cruz, Welker, Amendola, Wallace a possibility ?

Quazar

Amendola? Lulz. He wouldn't get many looks in our offense. He isn't better than manningham or even Kyle Williams.

Really? I could agree with a valid criticism like high injury risk. I think he'd work great with Colins accuracy. And please forget KW already, fucking garbage. Mario is highly questionable after this injury.

The 31st pick? Sure why not. We threw a similar pick away last year on aj jenkins
So you think we've seen enough of AJ Jenkins?

Striker

You guys are going to give up that first rounder for Cruz?
From some tidbits I'v read from Pat Traina, Cruz and Bennett seem to be likely re-signed to deals. Doesn't sound good for both Boothe and Beatty, though, so it seems like we'll be looking Boothe (at least I hope so, rather than Beatty) leaving. The guard situation can't get any uglier once he departs.

squicken

So you think we've seen enough of AJ Jenkins?

STL fans have this argument about Brian Quick. The assumption is that he'll still be good in year 2, even if he showed nothing in year one. STL had bad WRs so it's a little different, but by the end of the year, SF's WRs were pretty depleted. It means something that Jenkins couldn't even make the gameday roster

jakncoke

Banned
"I'm going to make that happen and come back bigger, faster, stronger," said Jenkins. "I'm going to be accountable this offseason and make myself the kind of player that they want me to be." Jenkins was active for just three games in 2012 after being a first-round pick, catching zero passes. He's expected to have a much bigger role next season with Randy Moss and Ted Ginn being free agents. Feb 5 - 4:55 PM

lol''d

I wasn't on GAF the last time the console wars were in full swing so this is a new experience for me. It seems pretty crazy, can't wait until stuff gets revealed!

jakncoke

Banned
I wasn't on GAF the last time the console wars were in full swing so this is a new experience for me. It seems pretty crazy, can't wait until stuff gets revealed!

I like console wars, the biggest annoying fanboys get taken behind the shed and shot. Makes thing a little easier reading. Although there some that happened to make it through the whole generation somehow.

Top Bottom