• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

bionic77

The heat is on Woodley to perform better in the offseason.

Guess the Steelers are finally tired of Woodley taking his annual 6 game vacations.
Fuck Woodley. Dude has been a bum since 2011. He was supposed to take over as Harrison got old. Harrison really gave us everything, no one can say that of Woodley. You can't take plays and games off when you are our best pass rusher.

Also, fuck you ez. Show some respect to the great Dr. Buss! He won more championships and fucked more hot chicks than anyone else in history! The dude was still banging out championships and hot 18 year olds in his 70s!

Sanjuro

Also, fuck you ez. Show some respect to the great Dr. Buss! He won more championships and fucked more hot chicks than anyone else in history! The dude was still banging out championships and hot 18 year olds in his 70s!

Bill Russell?

EDIT: Oh, shit. He's dead.

eznark

Banned
Fuck Woodley. Dude has been a bum since 2011. He was supposed to take over as Harrison got old. Harrison really gave us everything, no one can say that of Woodley. You can't take plays and games off when you are our best pass rusher.

I only knew him from Celebrity Poker.

brentech

I would have thought it would have happened with this vita conference, then i remembered no one gives a shit about Vita. Not even Sony.
By something that popped up out of nowhere? People got unrealistic expectations for a random ass event that clearly wasn't meant for the west anyways.
Would have been cool if something came, but absolutely did not expect anything to come of it on the notice given.

eznark

Banned
By something that popped up out of nowhere? People got unrealistic expectations for a random ass event that clearly wasn't meant for the west anyways.
Would have been cool if something came, but absolutely did not expect anything to come of it on the notice given.

I love the Vita but that announcement screamed Clearance Sale!

brentech

I love the Vita but that announcement screamed Clearance Sale!
I guess I just assumed it was nothing since it wasn't touted like the Feb 20th event.

Would really like to see more coming to it, that's for sure. I just didn't understand people being underwhelmed by an event that seemingly came out of no where and wasn't really directed towards the western market to begin with.
The list of things people started making of what the expected was absurd for something like that.

If nothing huge is announced at E3 or another scheduled event before then, I see plenty of problems for the future of it.

Kirwan goes over the current ILB prospects for those interested:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/p...many-teams-fishing-for-middle-linebacker-help

Kevin Minter, LSU: Kevin is physical, can run and easily drop in the Tampa-2 scheme. He has solid tackling skills, can strike a blocker and disengage and plays under control. He fits in any scheme and can be a 3-down linebacker. In the Washington game, he lined up to the third receiver in trips and covered him well in man coverage calls.

Alec Ogletree, Georgia: Alec was suspended four games for a failed drug test, which is a red flag for some teams and a yellow flag for others. He has range and is fluid in his movements. I like him more in a 4-3 front where he has a shaded nose tackle in front of him so he can run and hit. His former safety skills show up in coverage and speed. He has the skills to be a 3-down linebacker.

Nico Johnson, Alabama: I watched Johnson for a week at the Senior Bowl, including the game, and had multiple conversations with him about football. He is a conscientious person with good football instincts. He is a better pass dropper than advertised and went to the Senior Bowl to show he can stay on the field in all situations. He should be considered a 2-down linebacker in any scheme and reminds me a little of Takeo Spikes.

Arthur Brown, Kansas State: Brown may be a little light for some schemes but his instincts and production (192 tackles during the last 2 seasons) make him an excellent MLB candidate for teams that need speed on defense. I watched the Oregon and Texas games and he was in on over 20 tackles combined. He may move to WLB but has the aptitude to handle the middle.

Manti Te'o, Notre Dame: I was disappointed in his performance against Alabama so I went back and looked at other game tapes. The Stanford game raised as many questions as answers. He is aggressive but he struggles to disengage. It almost seems like he has to come down hill so fast just to beat the blocker to the point of attack or he's tied up. He takes chances trying to make plays and it doesn't always work out. At times he reminded me of when Junior Seau first came in the NFL. At other times he would overplay a run and miss the tackle. There was a lack of awareness in zone coverages at times when he didn't 'feel' the receiver in his zone. I had some concerns about how often he leaves his feet to make a tackle and miss. He needs to be in a 4-3 defense and the middle may be too much traffic for him to sift through to make plays.

Kevin Reddick, North Carolina: At the Senior Bowl he demonstrated he can be a thumper when it comes to stopping the inside run game. He will probably play pro football at close to 250 lbs. He is a good fit in a 3-4 defense as the strong inside backer taking on a guard. Some questioned his motor during the season, but his effort in Mobile was more than satisfactory. If your run defense has problems, especially against power-run teams, Reddick could be your answer. The guy makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. I talked with him and he acknowledged he can be overly aggressive (penalties), but he is a two-year captain and a solid 2-down player.

Jon Bostic, Florida
: He dropped out of the Senior Bowl, which was disappointing, but his film study revealed a lot about his NFL potential. He is not the striker Minter, Johnson and Reddick are but he sees things well and wants to play more of a finesse style. In the Ohio State game he didn't convince me he has the physical strike to neutralize blockers but he did show some sideline-to-sideline run skills. Bostic needs to be covered up in a 4-3 front.

Kiko Alonzo, Oregon: Another MLB who doesn't always have the explosiveness at the point of attack. He is not the athlete Minter or Te'o are and appeared a step slow at times. Some would say he does not possess the fast-twitch required to win in the middle. After watching the Kansas State game I felt like he might be more suited to a Sam linebacker spot in a 4-3 defense. Another issue that surfaced was the easy way with which blockers got into his legs.

Drakeon

Flying to LA and back from San Francisco, might hit Vegas as well (And see the Grand Canyon) but I'm 20 so don't know how much fun Vegas is.

Is San Diego fun?

Well, San Diego is a nice place to live, but I haven't been there in so long (grew up there), so I'm not sure what there is to do when you're just visiting. I'm sure LA/San Fran probably have more attractions.

Come visit me.

Where do you live? I also find the whole pants less/pill popping thing a bit intimidating...

But if you're close, and if you and I have time, sure. I already missed out on 2 meetings, so maybe third time's a charm.

Well, San Diego is a nice place to live, but I haven't been there in so long (grew up there), so I'm not sure what there is to do when you're just visiting. I'm sure LA/San Fran probably have more attractions.

I really wanna visit San Fran, excited at the moment.

Make sure to take (non-threatening, non-violent, non-creepy) revenge on BLarry!

I will hug him to death.

cdyhybrid

Flying to LA and back from San Francisco, might hit Vegas as well (And see the Grand Canyon) but I'm 20 so don't know how much fun Vegas is.

Is San Diego fun?

Holy crap you are a baby! Are you and Gata twins?

California is a land of godless heathens, criminals, hipsters, and in general a wretched hive of scum and villainy. Vegas is cool, though
if you're 21

ChanHuk

Banned
Dutch I live in OC a suburb of LA. We can meet up but I'm not wearing any pants per tradition. I might be drunk but not high.

Bowser

Cam at All Star game last night:

camlol_medium.gif

...smh Cam, close your mouth

squicken

Mayock is saying Cooper and Warmack are guys who should go top 10. We heard all last year that DeCastro was a generational OG, and he fell. Why won't these guys?

bluemax

Banned
Barkley will NOT throw at the combine and he says he MIGHT run according to Schefter.

What a little bitch, hope he becomes a Jet.

Lets ignore the fact that he's still recovering from a shoulder injury and probably can't throw at full strength.

He's gonna throw at his pro day next month.

Mayock just said that there is basically no difference from 5-25 so it could be a fun draft.
I remember a few GM's feeling the same about last years draft. Especially the middle of the first draft on.

Saints update:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

Saints have asked end Will Smith to take a big reduction in salary for 2013, as expected. Vilma could end up in same boat with cap issues

Wes

venison crêpe
Mayock just said that there is basically no difference from 5-25 so it could be a fun draft.

I've been saying something similiar for months. Mayock is a fraud!

Mayock is saying Cooper and Warmack are guys who should go top 10. We heard all last year that DeCastro was a generational OG, and he fell. Why won't these guys?

I've read multiple reports that Warmack is miles ahead of DeCastro was coming out. He's the most complete plug and play guard for a long time - or some other vernacular along those lines.

squicken

Both he and Gil Brandt (and I'm sure others) say Warmack is the best player in the draft. No one said that about DeCastro, so that may be something. Have no issue w/Rams taking him at #16

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He also doesn't think Werner or Moore are top 10 picks either.

Werner isn't top 10 material either. He's a run of the mill DE who shouldn't be a first round pick but because of the need for DEs will go in the top 10.

Nothing Werner does from clips I've seen pops out.

Top Bottom