• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

-Profootball Talk

Mayhew is playing his chips right this offseason with focusing on restructuring Staffords deal. Everyone else is disposable.

I'd love to resign Delmas and I think we will considering he's a Michigan native and has taken to being a leader on this team since we picked him in the 2nd round of the 09 draft. Like Bob Sanders there play is similar but so is there knack for injuries.

Priorities this offseason:

1.) Restructure Staffords contract for the long term
2.) Sign Reggie Bush
3.) Grab a decent DB or two in free agency
4.) Hope that Luke Joeckel falls to us at #5. If he doesn't, no big deal, go with a DE, Dee Milliner or Jarvis Jones.

I'm already getting pumped for next season. This team for cocky after the 2011 season. We're coming out focused and disciplined with our eyes on a Super Bowl.

Reggie Bush? Why hitch your hopes to that guy. Probably could find his equivalent in the 5th or 6th round.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Does the entire team just pretend like 2012 never happened?

Yes. Its a fresh new start, with the bad apples gone (Titus Young, Cliff Avril) and new players coming in via our cap room and the draft.

The core of Stafford, Megatron, Suh and Nick Fairley means the foundation has been built. That is the hardest part about building a team.

Yes. Its a fresh new start, with the bad apples gone (Titus Young, Cliff Avril) and new players coming in via our cap room and the draft.

The core of Stafford, Megatron, Suh and Nick Fairley means the foundation has been built. That is the hardest part about building a team.

Isnt the coach himself one of the bad apples? I dont see how they can change the culture with him around.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Reggie Bush? Why hitch your hopes to that guy. Probably could find his equivalent in the 5th or 6th round.

He fits our offense perfectly in terms of how he plays off of draws/screens and how he can line up in the slot.

Kind of a Jahvid Best/CJ Spiller gamebreaker type of RB.

This draft seems pretty weak in terms of RBs and we've already spent two 2nd round picks on RBs the past two seasons. I think Mayhew will look elsewhere in the draft.

tumblr_m7uxjoynS31rzrbozo1_500.gif
:lol
That's more like it Kave.

Also you guys checking out British TV shows must watch Luther and also Sherlock.
I've been meaning to check out both on Netflix

He fits our offense perfectly in terms of how he plays off of draws/screens and how he can line up in the slot.

Kind of a Jahvid Best/CJ Spiller gamebreaker type of RB.

This draft seems pretty weak in terms of RBs and we've already spent two 2nd round picks on RBs the past two seasons. I think Mayhew will look elsewhere in the draft.
Reggie Bush is not CJ Spiller. Never was, never will be. The only time he's a "gamebreaker" is when the opponents' front seven is horrible.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Reggie Bush is not CJ Spiller. Never was, never will be. The only time he's a "gamebreaker" is when the opponents' front seven is horrible.

He's been more consistent than Spiller throughout his career since coming into the league in 06.

Id personally rather have Spiller but Bush is the best out there right now.

He had a great season and like I said would fit our offense perfectly.

New theory, you're actually Nate Burleson.

Speaking of which, Burleson is taking a paycut to stay with us this season. <3

Love the guy as a leader on and off the field. His season ending injury last year hurt us almost as bad as anything else IMO.

He's been more consistent than Spiller throughout his career since coming into the league in 06.

Id personally rather have Spiller but Bush is the best out there right now.

He had a great season and like I said would fit our offense perfectly.
He had two games rushing over 100 yards last season --- against the Raiders and Jaguars. The most receiving yards he had in a game was 46.

He had a good year but he didn't really show that he can be a big contributor against a legitimately solid defense.

eznark

Banned
I don't see how Reggie Bush occupying a linebacker helps turn those hail mary prayer interceptions to Johnson into receptions.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
He had two games rushing over 100 yards last season --- against the Raiders and Jaguars. The most receiving yards he had in a game was 46.

He had a good year but he didn't really show that he can be a big contributor against a legitimately solid defense.

A lot of that was probably due to defenses focusing on him with a lack of playmakers on the Dolphins offense and an average rookie QB at the helm.

You pair him up with Megatron, Burleson, Pettigrew, Ryan Broyles with Stafford handing/throwing the ball and I promise he'll do more damage.

We don't need him to be a 1000 yard rusher. Just a guy who can keep defenses on check and free up Megatron and other playmakers.

I don't see how Reggie Bush occupying a linebacker helps turn those hail mary prayer interceptions to Johnson into receptions.

Yeah it is funny to think that a team that has a QB throw 50 times a game, with a large % of those being deep passes, would have a RB as their biggest need.

Vio-Lence

Banned
We need to put Kastrioti on who ya crapping with all this crazy super bowl and reggie bush talk. The lions are going to be trash until they get rid of Schwarz.

We need to put Kastrioti on who ya crapping with all this crazy super bowl and reggie bush talk. The lions are going to be trash until they get rid of Schwarz.
Valid point, lets go back to the more realistic Browns offseason champs and SuperBowl aspirations this year
"is Chud your Bud"
He's my bud

Valid point, lets go back to the more realistic Browns offseason champs and SuperBowl aspirations this year
"is Chud your Bud"
He's my bud

I don't know. When I look at how bad his offense looked with Cam Newton, Steve Smith, John Stewart, and DeAngelo Williams I don't see how he could do a great job with the Browns' "talent". Maybe I'm wrong, I'm judging the 2012 Panthers by an eye test instead of any stat, but you're hyped about Chud and I'm just sitting here getting Cam Cameron vibes.

Spinluck

A lot of that was probably due to defenses focusing on him with a lack of playmakers on the Dolphins offense and an average rookie QB at the helm.

You pair him up with Megatron, Burleson, Pettigrew, Ryan Broyles with Stafford handing/throwing the ball and I promise he'll do more damage.

We don't need him to be a 1000 yard rusher. Just a guy who can keep defenses on check and free up Megatron and other playmakers.

Free Johnson.

He needs to play with an actual QB like
Luck. All the best QBs are funny looking fucks, Stafford just has the lumps.

Bowser

I don't know. When I look at how bad his offense looked with Cam Newton, Steve Smith, John Stewart, and DeAngelo Williams I don't see how he could do a great job with the Browns' "talent". Maybe I'm wrong, I'm judging the 2012 Panthers by an eye test instead of any stat, but you're hyped about Chud and I'm just sitting here getting Cam Cameron vibes.

To be fair, it's not like we were terribad on offense. We went from having one of the worst offenses in NFL history in 2010 to being top 5 in 2011 through the addition of Chud and Cam. Yes, the offense regressed this past year, but that was more due to Chud/Rivera going all in on the zone-read as a base offense, a mistake. Towards the back half of the season when Cam was placed under center more and we sprinkled in the zone read as a look, the offense looked explosive again.

Chud does have a tendency to go retard on his playcalling from drive to drive (with bizarre would-be kill shots thrown in on 3rd and 1 when we have $88m committed to the backfield), but he's a pretty good offensive mind.

To be fair, it's not like we were terribad on offense. We went from having one of the worst offenses in NFL history in 2010 to being top 5 in 2011 through the addition of Chud and Cam. Yes, the offense regressed this past year, but that was more due to Chud/Rivera going all in on the zone-read as a base offense, a mistake. Towards the back half of the season when Cam was placed under center more and we sprinkled in the zone read as a look, the offense looked explosive again.

Chud does have a tendency to go retard on his playcalling from drive to drive (with bizarre would-be kill shots thrown in on 3rd and 1 when we have $88m committed to the backfield), but he's a pretty good offensive mind.

I can believe it, I know all about playcalling making a good offense look bad ( see the afore-mentioned Cam Cameron).

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

But also factor, based on what has been said Norv is pretty much handling all the playcalling. Of course I'm sure Chud will get a say in it but unlike with Shurmur the OC will actually get to be the OC for the most part.

That could defuse or get rid of some of that bad playcalling you saw.

Ian RapoportVerified account
@RapSheet

#Giants owner John Mara tells me his team will "probably not" administer the franchise tag to any player.
That's really interesting. Common thought was that the Giants would franchise Beatty in an effort to get him signed long term at LT. They must feel like there's a buyers maker on tackles right now or that they can get him signed easily enough.

Free agency needs to get here already. That's when the fun stuff starts...

Bowser

But also factor, based on what has been said Norv is pretty much handling all the playcalling. Of course I'm sure Chud will get a say in it but unlike with Shurmur the OC will actually get to be the OC for the most part.

That could defuse or get rid of some of that bad playcalling you saw.

That's true. It's weird to me that Chud wouldn't handle playcalling duties though. Probably better as a first time HC, but I never saw/heard of anything from Chud that would make me think he functions better as a CEO/overseer type. He seemed pretty quiet, coached from the booth and just didn't exude "future HC" when you saw him. We'll see how he pans out.

Chud is my bud.
I guess everyones having a all day meeting in Berea to really discuss the course the browns will take the rest of the offseason. We need a spy

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Chud is my bud.
I guess everyones having a all day meeting in Berea to really discuss the course the browns will take the rest of the offseason. We need a spy

Yup, that's what I read from Grossi at least.

Then tomorrow they're off to the combine or whatever.

effzee

I like Reggie Bush. He really showed that he can be a complete back once he left the Saints.

But I fail to see how he or RB in general is the top need for Detroit.

Oh well hope someone picks him up. Fun to watch.

Be quiet. Reggie was great this year and is a great HB for a pass first team. I'm sick of the Reggie hate! Here's his YPC and their opponents last season.

@HOU 4.9
vsOAK 6.6
vsNYJ 6.1
@ARI 3.9
@CIN 2.5
vsSTL 1.4
@NYJ 4.2
@IND 4.1
vsTEN 5.2
@BUF 2.0
vsSEA 6.2
vsNE 4.3
@SF 4.6
vsJAX 5.0
vsBUF 3.4
@NE 3.2

Pretty damn good if you exclude 3 games. The only 2 games he had over 100 yards in are also the only 2 games he had 20 carries.

Top Bottom