• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Well, I've already lived 31 years without my team winning anything of consequence, what's another 4 or 5? Let the neverending cycle of collecting other teams' quarterbacks continue.

Holy shit, I charisma'ed the balls off of everyone at that interview. East coast charm goes over really well in the West coast, it's almost unfair. I'll be shocked if I don't get this job.

Fire Emblem is great; totally worth buying a 3DS for. Which is what I did.

Narag

Holy shit, I charisma'ed the balls off of everyone at that interview. East coast charm goes over really well in the West coast, it's almost unfair. I'll be shocked if I don't get this job.

Fire Emblem is great; totally worth buying a 3DS for.

I credit the Ravens' win to providing you with this newfound confidence. Flacco turned your life around, dude.

I credit the Ravens' win to providing you with this newfound confidence. Flacco turned your life around, dude.

I've always had too much confidence, which gets me into trouble, ie fights I don't win. If anything, being wrong about Flacco humbled me, but in the most awesome way.

Fire Emblem is great; totally worth buying a 3DS for. Which is what I did.

LOL. East coast charm. Okay.

LOL. East coast charm. Okay.

It's a fact. At work, socially, with women, I've just done better since I moved out here. It could be the fact that I was using heroin when I lived on the East coast which hindered those things, but I like to attribute it to the Charm City charm. They should do a study.

It's a fact. At work, socially, with women, I've just done better since I moved out here. It could be the fact that I was using heroin when I lived on the East coast which hindered those things, but I like to attribute it to the Charm City charm. They should do a study.

your best friend also has a way with women you are married to as well. i need to obtain this east coast charm!

Maybe its just because your from a different area. Its like when I went to Rome. I'm American, they were all over me.

squicken

Well, I've already lived 31 years without my team winning anything of consequence, what's another 4 or 5? Let the neverending cycle of collecting other teams' quarterbacks continue.

Better to not reach on a bad QB and let Alex or Kolb mind the store for a year. I actually think KC could have a heck of a turnaround next year. Awful division and weak conference. Playoffs are unlikely, but 7 or 8 wins are possible

Better to not reach on a bad QB and let Alex or Kolb mind the store for a year. I actually think KC could have a heck of a turnaround next year. Awful division and weak conference. Playoffs are unlikely, but 7 or 8 wins are possible

You're crazy. They say that every year. About the eagles too. They will be hot garbage next year

This will probably be uninteresting babble, but...

A few years ago I would agree, but with the rookie cap, drafting a QB doesn't financially handcuff your team. I admit, it does probably hold you to playing him for two to three years, but only because most franchises aren't bold enough to cut their losses on a quarterback.

By bringing in A. Smith/Kolb/etc, you probably hover around .500 in the first year, maybe get a playoff birth within two to three years. While this is happening, you're now hoping that either a QB drops to you, or that you can package the picks to trade up.

The top two QBs in this class (in my opinion Geno Smith & Tiny Hands Tyler Wilson) obviously aren't Luck/RG3, but the "no qb worthy of the first round" narrative is insane to me, especially with how terrible a lot of teams QBs' are.

cdyhybrid

The top two QBs in this class (in my opinion Geno Smith & Tiny Hands Tyler Wilson) obviously aren't Luck/RG3, but the "no qb worthy of the first round" narrative is insane to me, especially with how terrible a lot of teams QBs' are.

A lot of teams' QBs aren't or weren't worthy of going in the first round, though.

bionic77

its like any other fight. if you're playing the MANS version and death = permanent... even in this skirmishes!
You have to play the game with perma death. It is not fire emblem without that.

I am playing on hard as well. Which is doable but I was surprised at some of the earlier stages, which really require you to be careful and plan things out carefully so as not to lose anyone. Normally the first third of the game is super easy and you are just using it to level up your weak characters (who usually become awesomest).

squicken

Holy Shit! Dredd is fucking awesome. Over under on Oscars is 15

This will probably be uninteresting babble, but...

A few years ago I would agree, but with the rookie cap, drafting a QB doesn't financially handcuff your team. I admit, it does probably hold you to playing him for two to three years, but only because most franchises aren't bold enough to cut their losses on a quarterback.

By bringing in A. Smith/Kolb/etc, you probably hover around .500 in the first year, maybe get a playoff birth within two to three years. While this is happening, you're now hoping that either a QB drops to you, or that you can package the picks to trade up.

I have seen the idea floated that KC takes the BPA at #1, then moves back up to take their QB late in the first. Since it's a deep but not star-studded draft, the cost of moving up should be lower than usual. I would say that all of the rookie QBs will be flawed, and probably not ready to start. Tanniehill and maybe even Weeden would have gone ahead of all these guys

So you will need Kolb or Alex for a year or two while Reid coaches up the new guy. I would just hope they don't do some dumb trade for Foles

excerpt From Claytons Mailbag: Combine observations
1. The Cleveland Browns may not be aggressive in hunting for a new quarterback: New Browns management hasn't hushed rumors that the team would like to upgrade the quarterback position.

While Brandon Weeden was the first-round choice of the Mike Holmgren administration, he wasn't the pick of the Jimmy Haslam ownership group. New Browns management would like to get a read-option type of quarterback, mirroring the current trend of mobile quarterbacks. That's one of the reasons the Browns hired Rob Chudzinski as coach, because he could go well with a read option. Chudzinski, who worked with Cam Newton the past two seasons, is an aggressive playcaller.

Trading for Alex Smith would make sense because of his background with new Browns' offensive coordinator Norv Turner, whom he worked with during their days in San Francisco. Smith wouldn't be an option for the read option. He's a pocket passer and rollout quarterback.

The Browns' interest in a read-option QB also doesn't help West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith, who said he has the ability to run a read-option offense, but that isn't really his game.

As for Weeden and Colt McCoy, Chudinzki said, "I've been looking at that quite a bit in conjunction with some of the other things we've been working on. I'm excited about those guys.

"They have interesting skill sets. They've made improvements. They've been able to win games, and I'm excited."

In short, that means the Browns might be patient in the quarterback market. They might not dangle too high of a draft choice to acquire Smith. It's not out of the question for the Browns to stick with Weeden and McCoy and then wait for something in the next year. The Browns want read option, but they might wait.
This kinda goes with what I've been saying for awhile that I think we want a read option Qb for the future.

It's interesting that we see this trend in QBs.

Remember Kordell Stewart? Randall Cunningham? Steve McNair?
Michael Vick?

I was noticing in one of the games that the D started to just hit the QB. You wanna run the option? Ok, we're going to have one guy whose job it is to hit the QB whether he still has the ball or just let go of it.

If your QB takes 30 hits per game, I hope you have a good backup.

The interesting thing about all the QBs mentioned above is that none of them won a Super Bowl.

Remember Kordell Stewart? Randall Cunningham? Steve McNair?
Michael Vick?

I was noticing in one of the games that the D started to just hit the QB. You wanna run the option? Ok, we're going to have one guy whose job it is to hit the QB whether he still has the ball or just let go of it.
In today's NFL I think it's alittle harder to get away with blatant hits like that to the Qb. And although they might have never won a SuperBowl alot of those guys were great Qbs, steve McNair had a pretty good career. Not all great Qbs in history have won Superbowls.

You kinda sound like Matt Barkley :p

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Well I'd imagine that after quitting heroin, you probably have the confidence to do anything so that probably translates when you talk to chicks and people.

In today's NFL I think it's alittle harder to get away with blatant hits like that to the Qb. And although they might have never won a SuperBowl alot of those guys were great Qbs, steve McNair had a pretty good career. Not all great Qbs in history have won Superbowls.

You kinda sound like Matt Barkley :p

Well Barkley has a point. Until one of these read-option / run-capable QBs actually wins the SB, then your standard pocket passing QB is winning them.

While I agree some of these guys had great careers, that's not why teams are in the NFL. The goal is to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying it won't happen for a read-option QB, but you can be damn sure that defensive coordinators are watching film right this very minute and figuring out ways to stop the read-option.

I guarantee Barkley never approaches kaps passing stats even. People keep focusing on the read option or pistol or whatever... It's just a formation!

It's like saying oh well Peyton manning can't succeed because he plays out of the shotgun so much!

It's not the wildcat where you have a guy that can't throw running the formation

effzee

Well Barkley has a point. Until one of these read-option / run-capable QBs actually wins the SB, then your standard pocket passing QB is winning them.

While I agree some of these guys had great careers, that's not why teams are in the NFL. The goal is to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not saying it won't happen for a read-option QB, but you can be damn sure that defensive coordinators are watching film right this very minute and figuring out ways to stop the read-option.

Not all pocket passers win a SB. And there have been very few run capable QBs who have enough talent to also throw. So you are comparing a hand full of QBs who can run to majority who are pocket passers.

Doesn't mean every QB now needs to be or should be run capable but its obvious that if you can run and throw you can be really good, especially if the coaching staff is smart enough to design an offense around those skills. Ravens didn't simply win because Flacco is a pocket passer and Kap isn't.

KingGondo

Banned
GLORIOUS WEEDEN FUTURE (sorta) CONFIRMED

Cleveland Plain Dealer said:
Browns CEO Joe Banner said a quarterback at No. 6 "is not the focus of our thinking'' and that the Browns are leaning toward Brandon Weeden as their starter for 2013.

He said the club wants to give quarterback Weeden "the best chance to succeed. We see potential there we're going to try to work with.''

He said "the biggest thing for Brandon is going from year one to two year two.'' He added that the team thinks he'll be better with Norv Turner as his coordinator and with some better talent around him.''

He said Weeden's success will depend on "how bad he wants it.''

He said "if we thought there was a top quarterback at No. 6 we've have to consider it.'' but he repeatedly gave the indication the Browns will not go QB there.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/team/1361635352-996-497/browns-ceo-joe-banner-says.html

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I guarantee Barkley never approaches kaps passing stats even. People keep focusing on the read option or pistol or whatever... It's just a formation!

It's like saying oh well Peyton manning can't succeed because he plays out of the shotgun so much!

It's not the wildcat where you have a guy that can't throw running the formation

I think Kaep will come back down to earth this season once defenses scheme for those formations. He'll still be good though so I'm not a complete hater!

On the other hand, you can't fix Barkley's garbage arm.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Anybody play Dishonored?Is it worth $40?

It's kind of blah. I've played it for 6 or 7 hours and I probably won't go back to it. You get "evil points" more or less for killing people. To be "good" you have to use stealth but stealth in the game is wonky and sort of broken (also incredibly time consuming in a not fun, non-Splinter Cell kind of way).

The high point of the game is the setting.

I think Kaep will come back down to earth this season once defenses scheme for those formations. He'll still be good though so I'm not a complete hater!

On the other hand, you can't fix Barkley's garbage arm.

Didn't Atlanta and Baltimore already do that? He didn't have big running games.

Even against the packers I would say aside from the legendary run he hurt you guys most scrambling, not from the read option.

People want these qbs to regress because its "not fair" to have qbs like this. Unfortunately for the rest of the league most of these guys can pass and defenses having to prepare for the read option is just more time they aren't preparing for something else

It's kind of blah. I've played it for 6 or 7 hours and I probably won't go back to it. You get "evil points" more or less for killing people. To be "good" you have to use stealth but stealth in the game is wonky and sort of broken (also incredibly time consuming in a not fun, non-Splinter Cell kind of way).

The high point of the game is the setting.

think I'll pass on it for now then

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Didn't Atlanta and Baltimore already do that? He didn't have big running games.

Even against the packers I would say aside from the legendary run he hurt you guys most scrambling, not from the read option.

People want these qbs to regress because its "not fair" to have qbs like this. Unfortunately for the rest of the league most of these guys can pass and defenses having to prepare for the read option is just more time they aren't preparing for something else

Vick also took a dump on defenses in 2010 and look where that ended up.

One of two things happened with Kaep:

1. He was a flash in the pan like Vick
2. He completely revolutionized the way quarterbacks play

I think he has the ability to perfect his pocket passing to be more similar to the typical "elite" quarterback. I'm just not sold that Wilson, Kaep, and RG3 to some extent are trailblazing a new way to play the game that Brady and Manning couldn't hope to do when the sample size for these QBs is one year (half a year for Kaep).

Vick also took a dump on defenses in 2010 and look where that ended up.

One of two things happened with Kaep:

1. He was a flash in the pan like Vick
2. He completely revolutionized the way quarterbacks play

I think he has the ability to perfect his pocket passing to be more similar to the typical "elite" quarterback. I'm just not sold that Wilson, Kaep, and RG3 to some extent are trailblazing a new way to play the game that Brady and Manning couldn't hope to do when the sample size for these QBs is one year (half a year for Kaep).

It's not about a revolution of running qbs. If that's what this was about then tebow and Dixon and josh Johnson and whoever would've already set the league on fire. These are QBs that are very athletic but also skilled passers. There will always be pure pocket passers but why not have the ability to run too?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
It's not about a revolution of running qbs. If that's what this was about then tebow and Dixon and josh Johnson and whoever would've already set the league on fire. These are QBs that are very athletic but also skilled passers. There will always be pure pocket passers but why not have the ability to run too?

It's a dangerous way for a quarterback to live. I know my butthole clenches up every time Rodgers tucks it and runs. I'm not saying they should Schoob it and quit instead of running it but it's a dangerous thing to put an offense on. Someone should ask IRG3 or Vick how it works out.

Top Bottom