• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Surprised you didn't already know this. Bledsoe got a collapsed lung from that hit.

I sort of gave up football for a few years after we lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

I gave up on Favre because I felt like he was always going to choke in the big games. I got back into it during the playoffs in 2007 when I got trolled by Favre again. 2008 was the first season I jumped back into it. Rodgers just looked like something completely different and was doing some pretty great things. I never, ever feel like Rodgers is going to choke like Favre did every single year.

*cue Arizona-GB references*

edit: I largely and often credit our Super Bowl win in 1997 to Desmond Howard and Reggie White. Having the best defense in the league was great!

It's a dangerous way for a quarterback to live. I know my butthole clenches up every time Rodgers tucks it and runs. I'm not saying they should Schoob it and quit instead of running it but it's a dangerous thing to put an offense on. Someone should ask IRG3 or Vick how it works out.

Tom Brady's season ended in the pocket. Peypey never ran. The list goes on. It's a dangerous position to play.

And again I say: sometimes the threat of the run is more valuable than the run

It's interesting that we see this trend in QBs.

Remember Kordell Stewart? Randall Cunningham? Steve McNair?
Michael Vick?

I was noticing in one of the games that the D started to just hit the QB. You wanna run the option? Ok, we're going to have one guy whose job it is to hit the QB whether he still has the ball or just let go of it.

If your QB takes 30 hits per game, I hope you have a good backup.

The interesting thing about all the QBs mentioned above is that none of them won a Super Bowl.

Yep. I think this will end the new running QB "revolution" just like it always has. The Ravens were really physical with Kaep and you could easily see that it started to get to him. He really had no cause for hesitation when he played the Packers D and took advantage of it. The rules are more in the QBs favor now, sure, but if they're going to run the ball then they're subject to be hit. Harbaugh/Roman do a great job of keeping their QBs from harms way as much as possible, but if other teams try to emulate it there's no doubt QBs will start getting demolished on a more regular basis.

Roto:
Citing a league source, Profootballtalk.com reports Georgia OLB Jarvis Jones' neck injury (spinal stenosis) is causing "multiple teams" to shy away from him, particularly in round one.
PFT reports Jones is being removed from draft boards, ostensibly after Combine medical exams confirmed the stenosis. Jones received a clean bill of health at Georgia and dominated the SEC, but he's opted out of Combine drills and "multiple teams" have "already decided to avoid him." We witnessed a similar situation in the 2011 draft. Widely expected to be a top-ten pick, Da'Quan Bowers slipped all the way to Bucs' second-round selection (No. 51).
Maybe Jakncoke does have a chance

Holy Shit! Dredd is fucking awesome.
iEjGHi2Jd45Hh.gif

On the football front some of the beat writers and rumors have the Giants interested in DE Dion Jordan and OL Barrett Jones at the combine.

I sort of gave up football for a few years after we lost to the Broncos in the Super Bowl.

I gave up on Favre because I felt like he was always going to choke in the big games. I got back into it during the playoffs in 2007 when I got trolled by Favre again. 2008 was the first season I jumped back into it. Rodgers just looked like something completely different and was doing some pretty great things. I never, ever feel like Rodgers is going to choke like Favre did every single year.

edit: I largely and often credit our Super Bowl win in 1997 to Desmond Howard and Reggie White. Having the best defense in the league was great!

You gave up on football the year after a Super Bowl win?

Gimme a L...

effzee

Vick also took a dump on defenses in 2010 and look where that ended up.

One of two things happened with Kaep:

1. He was a flash in the pan like Vick
2. He completely revolutionized the way quarterbacks play

I think he has the ability to perfect his pocket passing to be more similar to the typical "elite" quarterback. I'm just not sold that Wilson, Kaep, and RG3 to some extent are trailblazing a new way to play the game that Brady and Manning couldn't hope to do when the sample size for these QBs is one year (half a year for Kaep).

As FMT says it will all depend on how these guys evolve. Vick was never a pocket passer or an accurate passer as a compliment to his insane ability to run. Very one dimensional. But what these young guys have shown is the ability to do more than just run or threaten to run. They can be accurate, read a defense, and make the right throws.

Vick did that for about 8 games in 2010. Then when defenses decided to just all out blitz him he never figured it out or recovered from it. These guys will have to go through something similar and it will all depend on how they react. If they fail to counter on their own to whatever the D does then yeah the style will just fade away. These guys don't seem like failures though.

Yep. I think this will end the new running QB "revolution" just like it always has. The Ravens were really physical with Kaep and you could easily see that it started to get to him. He really had no cause for hesitation when he played the Packers D and took advantage of it. The rules are more in the QBs favor now, sure, but if they're going to run the ball then they're subject to be hit. Harbaugh/Roman do a great job of keeping their QBs from harms way as much as possible, but if other teams try to emulate it there's no doubt QBs will start getting demolished on a more regular basis.

did you watch the falcons game? they were much more physical with kap. they literally had their end go straight for him every play and hit him. how'd that work out?

squicken

Eifert kind of separating from Ertz physically. Kind of expected the opposite. Really don't watch enough ND or PAC-10 to really know their relative speed vs competition

bionic77

Are all Packer fans this fairweather?

This might shame squicken...

Eifert kind of separating from Ertz physically. Kind of expected the opposite. Really don't watch enough ND or PAC-10 to really know their relative speed vs competition
How so? Haven't really been paying attention to combine today, besides the weigh ins and they seemed pretty similar besides the arm lengths

squicken

How so? Haven't really been paying attention to combine today, besides the weigh ins and they seemed pretty similar besides the arm lengths

Eifert's vertical: 35 1/2". Ertz: 30 1/2". Eifert broad jump: 9'11". Ertz: 9'3".

Both are 6'5". Eifert has longer arms and is more explosive. In RZ, having those tall TEs working behind the LBs, they have to be able to elevate. Gonzo leaping TD in playoffs the perfect example

did you watch the falcons game? they were much more physical with kap. they literally had their end go straight for him every play and hit him. how'd that work out?

Good point. The question is whether all teams will adopt the "hit the QB on this stupid read-option nonsense" regardless of whether he has the ball. Can Kaep or any QB last a full season taking those hits that frequently?

My point is that defenses will adapt. The offense thinks "hey, we have our magic bullet" and they see Kaep, Wilson, etc. having success. Then teams like Cleveland say "we don't want a pocket passer; we want to run the read-option." In a couple years the D's will all have adapted and you'll have a few teams who are running this thing with a QB who doesn't have the arm strength, and the guy is gonna get killed.

We all know how the NFL works. Teams flock to the latest successful fad and try to duplicate it, regardless of whether they have the personnel. (Exhibit A: all the teams that try to go to a 3-4 D and fail because they don't have the personnel.)

It's quite possible that Kaep -- because of his arm strength -- will succeed and eventually win a SB. But I also suspect that Harbs will try to keep him healthy by limiting the number of times he runs the read-option if D's adopt a "kill the QB on read-option plays" mentality.

Eifert's vertical: 35 1/2". Ertz: 30 1/2". Eifert broad jump: 9'11". Ertz: 9'3".

Both are 6'5". Eifert has longer arms and is more explosive. In RZ, having those tall TEs working behind the LBs, they have to be able to elevate. Gonzo leaping TD in playoffs the perfect example

Here come their 40's. Eifert - 4.60 Ertz - 4.72

Eifert looks a lot more fluid.
Really? Surprising, I would of thought Ertz was the faster/ more athletic of the two.

If the Browns can trade down I'd love to try and get one of the two
I know we already Interviewd Ertz

squicken

Here come their 40's. Eifert - 4.60 Ertz - 4.72

Eifert looks a lot more fluid.

No reason why anyone should want Keenan Allen over him.

edit: BG I was like you, but I am thinking I could have been thrown off by Stanford being more friendly to Ertz than ND was to Eifert. ND's offense was often pretty pathetic, with Eifert really being their only threat. Reminded me a bit of Oklahoma when they ran the wishbone and had to throw to Keith Jackson

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Really? Surprising, I would of thought Ertz was the faster/ more athletic of the two.

If the Browns can trade down I'd love to try and get one of the two
I know we already Interviewd Ertz

Steelers will give the Browns their first for the Browns second and next year's first. DO IT!

Roto:
Stanford TE Zach Ertz ran forty times of 4.65 and 4.72 at the NFL Scouting Combine.
According to CBS Sports' Dane Brugler, "several NFL people" in Indianapolis have stated how much more athletic Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert looked on game tape compared to Stanford's Ertz. The measurables bear it out. Eifert beat Ertz in the vertical, broad jump, and forty-yard dash. Ertz is shaping up as more of a day-two prospect while Eifert asserts himself as a sure first-rounder.

Steelers will give the Browns their first for the Browns second and next year's first. DO IT!
We have no second, but throw in Batch and a bucket of wings and you have a deal

Good point. The question is whether all teams will adopt the "hit the QB on this stupid read-option nonsense" regardless of whether he has the ball. Can Kaep or any QB last a full season taking those hits that frequently?

My point is that defenses will adapt. The offense thinks "hey, we have our magic bullet" and they see Kaep, Wilson, etc. having success. Then teams like Cleveland say "we don't want a pocket passer; we want to run the read-option." In a couple years the D's will all have adapted and you'll have a few teams who are running this thing with a QB who doesn't have the arm strength, and the guy is gonna get killed.

We all know how the NFL works. Teams flock to the latest successful fad and try to duplicate it, regardless of whether they have the personnel. (Exhibit A: all the teams that try to go to a 3-4 D and fail because they don't have the personnel.)

It's quite possible that Kaep -- because of his arm strength -- will succeed and eventually win a SB. But I also suspect that Harbs will try to keep him healthy by limiting the number of times he runs the read-option if D's adopt a "kill the QB on read-option plays" mentality.

but there is no magic bullet. the niners run a variety of formations. there are already teams that have stopped the read option so there is no "cactching up" that defenses need to do. The scheme to stop it is already there. The problem is do you have players that are disciplined enough to stop it? it's like me saying "oh defenses are going to catch up to peyton manning! you'll see!" well yeah.... i mean if you have a defense with enough talent and discipline then of course they will. not every defense does. and not every defense will have the personnel to completely stop the read option.

we ran the read option less than 20% of the time in the playoffs and got to the superbowl. the read option is just another formation and play type. if you have a QB who knows how to read the defense, then he can pick the best play off of that. kaepernick and some of these other guys are good at doing it. no one wants to see their QB hit but a QB can be hit in the pocket too. if all you're doing is playing scared then whats the point?

Draxal

You have to play the game with perma death. It is not fire emblem without that.

I am playing on hard as well. Which is doable but I was surprised at some of the earlier stages, which really require you to be careful and plan things out carefully so as not to lose anyone. Normally the first third of the game is super easy and you are just using it to level up your weak characters (who usually become awesomest).

Big thing about casual is the mid battle saves, I'll reset the battles if I love my characters but in the later chapters 17 and on when there's a million reinforcements, fuck wasting hours of my time because I didn't notice a warrior had counter, or I missed a reinforcement spot. Not to mention the future dlc is going to be stupid hard.

This fire emblem is an odd ball due to the grinding, some of the kid chars can get insanely strong and the levels to recruit them are much harder then the normal level.s

mr2xxx

Banned

Offenses will adapt to the whole "hit the QB on this stupid read-option nonsense". Redskins had that issue early in the season because of how well RG3 faked having the ball. Defenders figured they would just light his ass up because they could claim he had the ball. RG3 quickly learned to throw his hands up once he saw a defender coming at him and it didn't become a problem. The only issue with this is that it will work during the regular season but it might not work in the playoffs due to lack of officiating.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Norv offenses have always featured TEs. You need help there before WR

His pants were tight before we even got Norv. BG has always wanted a TE.

I understand the need but there are more crucial areas we need to focus on before spending potentially a high pick on a TE.

And we have one that I'm kinda curious to see how he does in Jordan Cameron.

squicken

Will have to re-watch, but I guess Bama had Millner on Eifert most of the game. Had separation issues b/c he was against CBs more than Ertz.

they should get delaine walker. if they could teach him how to catch he'd be a top 10 TE in the league

Some guy from ARK ran a 4.4. Third day guys supposedly. Cheaper to get than Walker.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Will have to re-watch, but I guess Bama had Millner on Eifert most of the game. Had separation issues b/c he was against CBs more than Ertz.

Some guy from ARK ran a 4.4. Third day guys supposedly. Cheaper to get than Walker.

Milliner normally plays on one side of the field (Boundary). ND put Eifert out there. Maybe if they had kept the TE near the line, they'd have had more production from him that game. But he still has exceptional leaping ability and the ability to high point the ball and catch it.

Top Bottom