• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

The truth is, no one wanted Moss besides the Pats and Packers. Not really sure where this revisionist history is coming from but a ton of people thought he was done.
You're revising history bro. Acting like Moss was a monster pickup. Everyone in the league thought he was washed up. That's why the Pats got him for nothing.

Dragon

Banned
You're revising history bro. Acting like Moss was a monster pickup. Everyone in the league thought he was washed up. That's why the Pats got him for nothing.

Uh no. First you implied the Patriots got Moss for 'nothing', as if they game the system or something. I'm just proving basically no one wanted him. A 4th round pick for a supposedly washed up former superstar is a lot, considering the amount of bitching that went on in here regarding the Talib trade.

Striker

Lord of No Rings may be joining the Redskins front office:

Word is Smith will join the Redskins soon as an adviser/consultant in the personnel department. Smith's son, Kyle, is a scout for the Redskins. Smith has laid extremely low since being fired the day after the season. But he did have a preliminary interview with the Jacksonville Jaguars, which I'm told is the only GM job he coveted. He actually had three more job offers as well, but he was in Indianapolis to finalize something with the Chiefs, Patriots or Redskins.

https://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/feb/25/Chargers-draft-free-agency/?page=2#article-copy

Uh no. First you implied the Patriots got Moss for 'nothing', as if they game the system or something. I'm just proving basically no one wanted him. A 4th round pick for a supposedly washed up former superstar is a lot, considering the amount of bitching that went on in here regarding the Talib trade.
K

Wes

venison crêpe
This is turning in to a really fun draft because there's no elite QB and the next dozen or so are about the same level, relying purely on combine and work out performances to boost their current board placing.

Anyone could go anywhere it seems.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Holy shit @ Tyrann Mathieu only being able to bench 225 lbs four times. Id use a 7th round pick on him but that's it.

Dee Milliner is impressive but Id rather get a decent DB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. This class has a good amount of solid DBs.

I hate the combine. I mean, I love it, because it's football stuff when there is no football stuff, but I hate it because it's such a tease. We get to watch all these prospects do their thing, get all hyped for the draft.....except it's two months away still.

Holy shit @ Tyrann Mathieu only being able to bench 225 lbs four times. Id use a 7th round pick on him but that's it.

Dee Milliner is impressive but Id rather get a decent DB with a 2nd or 3rd round pick. This class has a good amount of solid DBs.
7th round pick?! HA! You'll use the 5th pick on him!

I wouldn't mind maybe using a 4th on him

I'd rather scoop Milliner up right then and there but that's just me wanting to pick a corner in the 1st round for the longest time.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
7th round pick?! HA! You'll use the 5th pick on him!

I wouldn't mind maybe using a 4th on him

I think the fact that he only could bench 4 times tells me he hasn't done shit this offseason which is going to cause him to fall from 4th or 5th to 6th or possibly 7th round.

Wrayfield

I think the fact that he only could bench 4 times tells me he hasn't done shit this offseason which is going to cause him to fall from 4th or 5th to 6th or possibly 7th round.

Bench pressing isn't that important for his position, he ran a good 40 that automatically makes him go a bit higher.

Come to think of, wasn't there a punter or kicker in one of the recent combines who pressed more than many linemen? Forgot who it was....

Bench pressing isn't that important for his position, he ran a good 40 that automatically makes him go a bit higher.

Come to think of, wasn't there a punter or kicker in one of the recent combines who pressed more than many linemen? Forgot who it was....

Stevan Ridley (RB) bench pressed more than Nate Solder (LT) during their combine.

What that means? I don't know.

Wrayfield

Stevan Ridley (RB) bench pressed more than Nate Solder (LT) during their combine.

What that means? I don't know.

The really tall/long armed linemen struggle sometimes with it. That LT the Bengals drafted didn't even press 20 times iirc. Turned out alright after his rookie season.

I know were you're coming from but at the same Time I think him being a Db makes his bench alittle less important and the fact he ran a 4.4 really helps his stock at his position.
I'm personally more worried about a guy like Damontre Moore benching like 12 reps at his position, I just expect more.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Yeah it's pretty obvious the honey badger has missed the benefit of a football season. (or a stacked LSU defense)

Isn't the rep only 225? High school players bench that a dozen or so times!

BigAT

You're probably talking about David Buehler.

"At the Combine, Buehler opted to participate in areas not required of kickers, and recorded results on strength and speed tests that were better than other regarded linebackers and offensive linemen; he recorded 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press test, better than USC teammate Rey Maualuga, linemen Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe, and equal to Aaron Curry, and ran 4.56 and 4.63 seconds in the 40-yard dash, better than teammates Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews III."

The Giants have got to have the most jacked special teams unit in the league between him and Steve Weatherford.

Steve-Weatherford-11.jpg

The Giants have got to have the most jacked special teams unit in the league between him and Steve Weatherford.

Steve-Weatherford-11.jpg
Weatherford is fun to follow on twitter cause he's such a workout junkie. Posts all kinds of workout tips and other stuff. Not to mention he seems like a genuinely funny guy.

I'd kill to be that cut though. Cripes...

According to Mark Maske and Mike Jones of the Washington Post, the Redskins are spreading the word in Indianapolis that they’re considering legal action aimed at delaying the start of free agency while litigation proceeds regarding the question of whether the Redskins’ legal rights were violated. The Redskins are telling agents that any contract talks will be delayed until the situation is resolved.

If the Redskins proceed, it would be a big deal. And if they delay the start of free agency until their claims are resolved, it would be a huge deal.

I hope we fucking sue the league. Goodell can't keep going unchecked.

Weatherford is fun to follow on twitter cause he's such a workout junkie. Posts all kinds of workout tips and other stuff. Not to mention he seems like a genuinely funny guy.

I'd kill to be that cut though. Cripes...

You're old and busted though, so that dream of being cut will forever remain a dream.

Sucks to be old.

Wrayfield

You're probably talking about David Buehler.

"At the Combine, Buehler opted to participate in areas not required of kickers, and recorded results on strength and speed tests that were better than other regarded linebackers and offensive linemen; he recorded 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press test, better than USC teammate Rey Maualuga, linemen Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe, and equal to Aaron Curry, and ran 4.56 and 4.63 seconds in the 40-yard dash, better than teammates Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews III."

Steve-Weatherford-11.jpg

Yeah, that's him. Looking at that pic, it makes sense he did so well Nvm, thought that was Buehler, so there is two workout kickers/punters! Nothing beats a beer-belly kicker like Janikowski though. Can't run 5 yards without collapsing but will kick a football to the moon if drunk enough.

I wonder what would happen if NFL Gaf had our own personal combine hmm.....

A lot of benchpressing accidents and torn hamstrings :)

You're old and busted though, so that dream of being cut will forever remain a dream.

Sucks to be old.
I know! It's all down hill after 30.

Scott Wright @DraftCountdown

Unofficial times of 4.59 and 4.64 for Mississippi St. CB Johnthan Banks at the #NFLCombine. Ouch.
Not a great 40 time for Banks.

Honey Badger apparently having a pretty good day today outside of the bench at least according to Wellie..

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks

Matthieu is having a great day. Very natural in positional drills. Great hands and ball skills.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member

Sucks to be old.

Eh, more like who wants to put the effort out? Every guy I've known who looks like that acts like a disciple of some sort of weight lifting cult and feels the need to spread the message of high protein diets and workout regimens to the fat unwashed masses. Have yet to meet a weightlifter who can go more than an hour without talking about it!

Wrayfield

Me too.

Still, if he was strong he could have made up for his short stature in some ways. Short and weak is not something you want in your secondary. Believe me, I know what it's like to watch a secondary where most of them are afraid to tackle except the 35+ year old.

Honestly though, strength and the will to tackle are not necessarily comparable. You have a lot of scrawny guys who just have the balls and dive and claw to make a tackle, then you have some buffs safeties and even LBs who can't tackle for shit or just want a big hit on a receiver who is in the air (everyone can jack someone up like that).

Eh, more like who wants to put the effort out? Every guy I've known who looks like that acts like a disciple of some sort of weight lifting cult and feels the need to spread the message of high protein diets and workout regimens to the fat unwashed masses. Have yet to meet a weightlifter who can go more than an hour without talking about it!

Shut up! I'm trying to hurt his feelings!

I know! It's all down hill after 30.

You look more like 40 than 30, from what I've heard.

brentech

Was looking to see if any NFL players went to same high school I did(our football team was pretty bad when I was there, they blew it up and restarted the program one year with just 30 kids, even though the school was fairly large). Not sure what brought it to mind, but I knew AJ Hawk and few others went to Centerville high school which was a district rival for us.

Anyways, apparently Kurt Coleman went to my high school. No idea of his story, but I guess he tackled Gentry at spring practice at OSU and paralyzed the kid. Almost quit football because of it. That shits crazy.
Lists him as the only NFL player on Wikipedia

I think I went to Kindergarden and 1st grade with JPP. I remember this black kid named either Jason or James, we're also the same age, and we're from the same hometown. Can't find anything that confirms he went to Deerfield Elementary though.

Top Bottom