• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

What is the Monday night Miracle?

In 2000 on a monday night The Jest were down 23 points to the Dolphins at the start of the 4th and managed to win in OT.

They tied the game late in the 4th by throwing a TD to an offensive tackle.

The Euro ESPN always shows highlights like that of older games, during commercial breaks.

cajunator

Banned
In 2000 on a monday night The Jest were down 23 points to the Dolphins at the start of the 4th and managed to win in OT.

Didnt the reverse happen against the Jets with Marino? The fake spike?
Doesnt that make them a bit even?

The Euro ESPN always shows highlights like that of older games, during commercial breaks.
I was around 12 at the time and I remember watching the first three quarters and then going to bed thinking it was over. I woke up and instantly (relatively anyway, since dial-up was a thing) jumped on ESPN.com to see how it ended only to be greeted by the headline "Jet Fueled Comeback." I'll never forget it, man.

No number of buttfumbles is enough to forgive that day.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
My favourite game of this past season (non Browns) had to be the infamous Buttfumble game.

The gift that keeps on giving for years to come.

squicken

Good synopsis of the past two years frankly, though a little heavy handed.

Steelers are rebuilding. Championship run is over. Offense is young, and defense is old. That leads to bad football games.

And though they do have a takeaway problem, the numbers show that all the low takeaway teams are from recent years. Turnovers have been on a steady decline. Short passing game and QBs drilled since HS to not throw picks

And though they do have a takeaway problem, the numbers show that all the low takeaway teams are from recent years. Turnovers have been on a steady decline. Short passing game and QBs drilled since HS to not throw picks

Yeah, I was never terribly worried about interceptions. Steelers were never big on ints - most of the ones we did get came from Troy making a play.

the big loss is forced fumbles. Steelers defense relies heavily on that pass rush and without it everything suffers, nothing more than forced fumbles. Steelers went on a run to end the season when Harrison finally got back to form. Doubt he has much left in the tank though.

Suddenly all my Browns news is going towards Browns getting a TE.

BG must be so happy right now.
Did someone say and Tightend and BlackGhost in the same sentence?!
329.gif

But I only want one high in the draft if we end up trading down and getting picks

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I missed this yesterday:

Reggie Bush reportedly has interest from Detroit Lions

Kastrioti's dream team to assemble?

If Reggie Bush wants to win he needs to come here. Its perfect for both parties.

Bush would work wonders for this team just based on the fact he'll keep defenses on check with potential screen/draw plays. That'll work wonders freeing up Megatron, Burleson, Pettigrew etc. Plus its awesome that Bush can line up in the slot as a WR which I don't think any RB in the league can do.

Bush or a RB like him is one of the few pieces we need to make us legit contenders. Another piece would be a playmaking DE or DB which we'll get with our #5 pick.

If Reggie Bush wants to win he needs to come here. Its perfect for both parties.
The Dolphins won 3 more games than the Lions last season and are in a great position to improve drastically in terms of draft picks and cap space, plus it will be the second year for the head coach and QB which should lead to even more improvement. What makes you think the Lions are so much better?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
The Dolphins won 3 more games than the Lions last season and are in a great position to improve drastically in terms of draft picks and cap space, plus it will be the second year for the head coach and QB which should lead to even more improvement. What makes you think the Lions are so much better?

Because Matthew Stafford is leading this team and the foundation has been laid around him in terms of young talent on both sides of the ball. The Dolphins had a decent year but we're infinetly more talented with Stafford, Megatron, Suh, Fairley, Louis Delmas etc.

Last year was an anomaly due to cockiness, bad luck and injuries. It humbled this team and I know will make us better for it. As long as Stafford has the right talent surronding him on offense, and the defensive line wreaks havok on opposing QBs we will be a team no one wants to play.

eznark

Banned
Matt Stafford has won 37 % of the games he has started in. In that same time frame, the Dolphins have won 42% of their games.

Lions are truly, totally abysmal. They are the Detroit of football.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
17-28 lololololololol

Pretty damn good for a 21 year old who took over possibly the worst team in NFL history. He's won us at least 6 of those games with clutch, comeback victories.

IMO Staffords career started at the start of the 2011 season when he was finally healthy for a whole season and his stats have been close to the best in the league.

Let's not forget he is only 25 years old and he played with pretty much no RB last year. Take some of that pressure off him with Reggie Bush and watch out.

The stars are aligning for this young team. If we were being led by Shaun Hill I wouldn't hype this young team. Stafford is one of those QBs who has it* and God given talent.

*It is that successful component or it factor that all the great QBs throughout league history have had.

Pretty damn good for a 21 year old who took over possibly the worst team in NFL history. He's won us at least 6 of those games with clutch, comeback victories.

IMO Staffords career started at the start of the 2011 season when he was finally healthy for a whole season and his stats have been close to the best in the league.

Let's not forget he is only 25 years old and he played with pretty much no RB last year. Take some of that pressure off him with Reggie Bush and watch out.

The stars are aligning for this young team. If we were being led by Shaun Hill I wouldn't hype this young team. Stafford is one of those QBs who has it* and God given talent.

*It is that successful component or it factor that all the great QBs throughout league history have had.

Lulz

eznark

Banned
Lions won 60% fewer games in 2012 than in 2011.

STARS ARE ALIGNING!!!!!!

That's a fucking tailspin. In four of his seasons, Stafford has won fewer than 4 games. That's "cut bait" territory.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Yeah, I give up.

"infinitely more talented"?

richielol.gif

Let me know when Tannehill has back to back Pro Bowl seasons where he throws for 10000 plus yards and 60 TDs at a 2:1 ratio at 23-24 years old.

NFL GAF and most of the media has been consistently wrong about Stafford.

I remember getting in debates with dudes who would say Sanchez and Freeman were better QBs and getting laughed at.

He's proven all his doubters wrong since he came into the league and will continue to do so.

Let me know when Tannehill has back to back Pro Bowl seasons where he throws for 10000 plus yards and 60 TDs at a 2:1 ratio at 23-24 years old.

I remember getting in debates with dudes who would say Sanchez and Freeman were better QBs and getting laughed at.

He's proven all his doubters wrong since he came into the league and will continue to do so.

Kap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> stafford

Who cares about Pro Bowls and useless numbers when you win 4 games in a season?

eznark

Banned

Despite having a fuck-awful year, Freeman was able to lead his team to almost twice as many wins as Tubby McCrisco.

brentech

Quit bringing up his age like it means he's going to make a drastic improvement. He ain't a fucking rookie. If anything he'll break and be out of the league before some of the 30yo QBs.
And still beat Favre's INT record. We all know that's what he's shooting for.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Who cares about Pro Bowls and useless numbers when you win 4 games in a season?

This is true, but our down year was not because of Stafford. It was because of bad coaching, shitty special teams, and bad play from our secondary/defensive ends. Not to mention Staffords second option toward the end of the season was his friend and walk on, who had no business being in the NFL.

We're going to have to wait for the 2013 season so Stafford can prove you guys and the media wrong yet again.

Gotta start work today fellas. This debate will continue, but all you have to do is watch film on Stafford and look at his stats. He's a gifted QB and that's all there is to it.

Bush would work wonders for this team just based on the fact he'll keep defenses on check with potential screen/draw plays. That'll work wonders freeing up Megatron, Burleson, Pettigrew etc. Plus its awesome that Bush can line up in the slot as a WR which I don't think any RB in the league can do.

Bush or a RB like him is one of the few pieces we need to make us legit contenders. Another piece would be a playmaking DE or DB which we'll get with our #5 pick.

I was going to jump on you for the stupidity about someone who wants to win coming to Detroit, but it seems like everyone has that covered. Instead I will focus on how little football you must watch to think that Bush is the only RB that can line up in the slot. Eagles use Shady as a WR all the fucking time. Jesus the Eagles have even played the Lions 2 of the last 3 years, so you have had plenty of chances to see how they use Shady.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This is true, but our down year was not because of Stafford. It was because of bad coaching, shitty special teams, and bad play from our secondary/defensive ends. Not to mention Staffords second option toward the end of the season was his friend and walk on, who had no business being in the NFL.

We're going to have to wait for the 2013 season so Stafford can prove you guys and the media wrong yet again.

Gotta start work today fellas. This debate will continue, but all you have to do is watch film on Stafford and look at his stats. He's a gifted QB and that's all there is to it.

You never truly leave the shame circle...

Stafford had over 60 more attempts last year, but less then half as many TD's, and fewer yards. Even if you only care about stats he was still way down. The arrow is pointing downwards for Stafford.

squicken

Really think Stafford is poorly coached. Same with Cutler. I just don't think a good coach lets their mechanics falter like they have

cajunator

Banned
Its kind of hard to judge Stafford. didnt they lose like 7 WRs last year to injury?
At least Megatron was healthy, but they were starting a bunch of scrub receivers at some points.

squicken

God damned legend

I don't want to talk about this on the radio or anywhere else for that matter," Brady wrote in an email to WEEI-FM. "Athletes are always talking about money at a time when everyone else is struggling so badly to make it. We all make way more than our fair share. And I just think it reflects poorly on myself and my teammates. I really do just want to win, and that has and will continue to be the reason that motivates me and is the biggest factor in my decision-making process."

Really think Stafford is poorly coached. Same with Cutler. I just don't think a good coach lets their mechanics falter like they have

I think you are right about it being coaching. I remember being super impressed by him when he first came into the league, but now he just chucks it up into double coverage and hopes Megatron will bail him out. He makes so many poor throws and poor decisions each game. Lions should have fired Schwartz and hired Reid, I think he could have worked wonders with Stafford.

God damned legend

Why do you keep trolling GAF with this? Brady got the most guaranteed money any NFL players ever has. He is going to get $60m no matter what now. He seems like a guy that is going to just fall off a cliff in terms of production, we can already see his arm strength evaporate. This is a crazy good deal for him. I highly doubt he would have gotten another $60m on his old deal, before the Pats cut him.

cajunator

Banned
I think you are right about it being coaching. I remember being super impressed by him when he first came into the league, but now he just chucks it up into double coverage and hopes Megatron will bail him out. He makes so many poor throws and poor decisions each game. Lions should have fired Schwartz and hired Reid, I think he could have worked wonders with Stafford.

This seems to be Schaub's problem as well. An over-reliance on an elite WR to make all the plays. Brings the whole offense down.

Top Bottom