• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
Of course he doesn't want to talk about it. All anybody wants to mention is how he's getting shafted.

lol, that's exactly how he wants to frame it. He's a 35 year old quarterback who just got a guaranteed $30m extension. That's a huge payday anyway you look at it.

Like I said, this isn't Culpepper money, this is guaranteed money. If you ask me it's highway robbery.

The Patriots are now on the hook for a guaranteed $60 million to Brady until he is 40 years old. What a saint!

bionic77

lol, that's exactly how he wants to frame it. He's a 35 year old quarterback who just got a guaranteed $30m extension. That's a huge payday anyway you look at it.

Like I said, this isn't Culpepper money, this is guaranteed money. If you ask me it's highway robbery.

The Patriots are now on the hook for a guaranteed $60 million to Brady until he is 40 years old. What a saint!
What do you think of baseball and basketball contracts?

Also won't it be awesome if they bench Brady and he gets paid anyways?

eznark

Banned
I have no problem with them signing the contract. They paid him a fuck-ton of money to free up some cap space to win while he is still a decent QB. This fucks them down the road but by then maybe the cap will increase. That's the hope and considering Bob Kraft is the commissioner, it is a good bet.

In other news, Walter Football has dropped T'eo out of the first round in their mock.

What do you think of baseball and basketball contracts?

Also won't it be awesome if they bench Brady and he gets paid anyways?

But he already got paid a huge chink of it. Brady can just sit on the sidelines doing his nails now and there isnt a thing the Pats can do. The rest of the league must be furious with them for doing this. NFL owners have fought guaranteed contracts forever.

eznark

Banned
But he already got paid a huge chink of it. Brady can just sit on the sidelines doing his nails now and there isnt a thing the Pats can do. The rest of the league must be furious with them for doing this. NFL owners have fought guaranteed contracts forever.

Players have to be furiously spanking. Not only did Brady get a massive raise, the media is pretending like he is a martyr!

If I'm Flacco I sign a deal for $61m guaranteed today. That's significantly more valuable than the $100m he wants for 6 years or whatever when you factor risks and TVM.

bionic77

I am either stupid or old (or possibly both) but I really can't comprehend these transgender children debates.

Ez I might have to buy a pickup truck, move to a farm and become a Repub. Can I still be a Republican if I have a Japanese truck? Is there some kind of intro guide for this sort of thing?

What? I could understand sexist, but not racist. I really do think we will see more players push for fully guaranteed contracts now. This is going to open the door to contracts like MLB is stuck with.

You missed it.

In his 5 years in the league Joe Flacco has not missed a single game, made the playoffs all 5 years, has 3 AFC Championship appearances, and 1 Superbowl MVP.

Losers brag about their stats, winners hoist trophies and fuck the prom queen.

It's all Brady PR. That email statement is such bullshit look-at-how-honorable-team-first-I-am. The average fan doesn't understand guaranteed money, all they see is a lower number and the media spin. Plus, Brady can talk about all the money football players make compared to the average man, but his breadwinner wife makes 50 mil a year! What a fucking saint.

. Such a pompous dick, and his email offended me because he thinks I'm dumb.

WedgeX

Banned
In his 5 years in the league Joe Flacco has not missed a single game, made the playoffs all 5 years, has 3 AFC Championship appearances, and 1 Superbowl MVP.

...I feel as though Flacco shouldn't be taking Big Ben's advice.

eznark

Banned

Most definitely not the prom queen.

Joe+and+Dana+Flacco.jpg

Tom Brady's generous gesture worthy of scrutiny

It should also be noted that Brady, according to two sources familiar with the deal, did get something out of the extension: With a $30 million signing bonus, he'll be guaranteed $3 million more over the first two years of the deal than he otherwise would have. Additionally, if he's still on the roster following the 2014 season, the other $27 million becomes fully guaranteed against a career-ending injury — a $24 million upgrade on the previous deal.

squicken

Why do you keep trolling GAF with this? Brady got the most guaranteed money any NFL players ever has. He is going to get $60m no matter what now. He seems like a guy that is going to just fall off a cliff in terms of production, we can already see his arm strength evaporate. This is a crazy good deal for him. I highly doubt he would have gotten another $60m on his old deal, before the Pats cut him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tom-brady-s-generous-gesture-worthy-of-scrutiny-003927506.html

I'm not trolling. ez makes a very good point about the precedent for getting guaranteed dollars 5 years out, when teams really only like to do 2 or 3 years, but he is absolutely taking less than market value.

eznark

Banned
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--tom-brady-s-generous-gesture-worthy-of-scrutiny-003927506.html

I'm not trolling. ez makes a very good point about the precedent for getting guaranteed dollars 5 years out, when teams really only like to do 2 or 3 years, but he is absolutely taking less than market value.

It's probably what, 5x more guaranteed money than the next closet 35 year old QB has ever gotten? If Brady hits the open market, there is zero change he gets $60m guaranteed.

That's right, I'm on NeoGaf where a woman is either a stunning specimen of human perfection or a sharp-kneed dog. Though I will say she definitely married up. Just look at that stallion next her! RAWR!

BigAT

What's the market value for a 40-year-old quarterback? Is it $15 million guaranteed? I don't know why anyone with real knowledge of football contracts is fawning over this deal.

He might be getting less in terms of total dollars, and even that is debatable due to his age and declining skills, but he will get $24m more then he would have and it is all guaranteed if he is just on the roster at the start of the 2014 season.

squicken

It's probably what, 5x more guaranteed money than the next closet 35 year old QB has ever gotten? If Brady hits the open market, there is zero change he gets $60m guaranteed.

Peyton is a year older, made 18m last year, and will soon trigger a guaranteed 2 year/40m pickup. Maybe New England tears up the deal, but he could have gotten much more

eznark

Banned
Peyton is a year older, made 18m last year, and will soon trigger a guaranteed 2 year/40m pickup. Maybe New England tears up the deal, but he could have gotten much more

Manning's contract was $18m guaranteed. Every other bit of that contract had stipulations. So it's only 3x more than the next comparable deal. Way to take a discount, Tammy!

Top Bottom