• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

What's the market value for a 40-year-old quarterback? Is it $15 million guaranteed? I don't know why anyone with real knowledge of football contracts is fawning over this deal.

Peyton. Structured so it's all salary and no bonus pro-ration

Age 36: 18m guaranteed
Age 37: 20m (2013-2014 guaranteed if passes March physical)
Age 38: 20m guaranteed (pending)
Age 39: 19m (guaranteed if on roster at end of previous year)
Age 40: 19m no guarantee

Brady is 5 years 57m guaranteed. Cap hit in age 40 year is 15m

If you want to very narrowly definite it as Brady getting over-payed as 40 year old, then yes, it's possible he will be over-payed. But his comparable is Peyton. What's the better deal?

edit: wow Alex to Chiefs. Better not have done something stupid KC

eznark

Banned
Peyton. Structured so it's all salary and no bonus pro-ration

Age 36: 18m guaranteed
Age 37: 20m (2013-2014 guaranteed if passes March physical)
Age 38: 20m guaranteed (pending)
Age 39: 19m (guaranteed if on roster at end of previous year)
Age 40: 19m no guarantee

Brady is 5 years 57m guaranteed. Cap hit in age 40 year is 15m

If you want to very narrowly definite it as Brady getting over-payed as 40 year old, then yes, it's possible he will be over-payed. But his comparable is Peyton. What's the better deal?

edit: wow Alex to Chiefs. Better not have done something stupid KC

How are you calling money that requires a physical and a roster spot guaranteed??

squicken

Technically Brady has to be on the roster at the start of 2014 for the last $27m of his deal to become guaranteed.

And Peyton's roster kicker is at the end of the previous year, not the start of the new year, like all other contracts. And his injury clause is limited to his neck.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU chiefs. Niners get a second and 9m in cap relief? They were going to cut him probably. Could have had him for a 6th if they waited. Reid is already a failure. Took less than 6 weeks

eznark

Banned
Technically Brady has to be on the roster at the start of 2014 for the last $27m of his deal to become guaranteed.

So he only really got an additional like $6m of guaranteed money?

Browns must feel like real idiots. A first rounder for 45 year old Brandon Weeden or a second rounder for 28 year old Alex Smith?

So he only really got an additional like $6m of guaranteed money?

Browns must feel like real idiots. A first rounder for 45 year old Brandon Weeden or a second rounder for 28 year old Alex Smith?

So they added $6m to the guaranteed he was already getting, plus if he can last 1 year he gets another $27m added on. So it is $33m of new guaranteed money, but his total guaranteed is now $57.

Quikies83

I think getting Smith is a good idea, but a 2nd round pick is is kinds crazy especially that high of a pick
Edit: plus a 2014 pick possibly?! WTF !!!!!
Zooted should be on suicide watch

Zooted, myself, and all of ChiefsPlanet are on suicide watch.
#34 pick this year and a "similar" pick next year for Alex Smith? FUUUUUUUUU

We've casseled ourselves!!

That's the killer right there. It's a top of the round second round pick. If the Chiefs make little headway and end up at the top of the draft again next season.......wow. Niners made out like bandits....

That means it isn't guaranteed.

You really think the Pats will cut him next year? BB does seem cold but I just can see any chance of that happening.

Reid is a fucking fool for making that deal. 1st pick in the 2nd round this year, and a really high pick next is a crazy overpayment. They should have waited for the 9ers to cut him and just outbid any other teams. This is Carson Palmer trade levels of bad. I relly feel bad for KC fans. They had a real chance to improve the team this year and next and they gave up 2 high picks for a guy that is a stopgap.

Yeah, seems like the second round stuff may be a bit premature but its apparently for multiple picks according to Schefter:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Ad @JayGlazer reported, 49ers have agreed to trade Alex Smith to Chiefs. Trade will be for draft picks - as in plural, per NFL sources.

Also:

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN

The NFC champion 49ers will have 15 picks in the April draft after the Smith trade. Wow. Lots of room for dealing.
Rich get richer indeed.

I'm so sorry.

I like the Chiefs, but damn, how stupid is Reid? Signing him probably wasn't the best idea to begin with, but trading away not only 2 second rounders but also 2 real early first rounders...

At least you still have Justin Houston.

So they added $6m to the guaranteed he was already getting, plus if he can last 1 year he gets another $27m added on. So it is $33m of new guaranteed money, but his total guaranteed is now $57.

You're just mad that the Patriots and Brady are smarter than your shitty franchise, who gives Mike Vick a 5 year 80 million dollar deal with 40 million guaranteed.

A third this year and a fourth next year seems totally reasonable to me.
Agreed. Smith is a reasonable upgrade over the garbage that is Matt Cassel despite the protestation of Chiefs fans. Reid can get some good work out of Alex, IMO as long as he keeps him in that game manager role and doesn't ask too much out of him. If it does end up being two second round picks though.....:jnc I don't know what Reid is thinking.

eznark

Banned
Agreed. Smith is a reasonable upgrade over the garbage that is Matt Cassel despite the protestation of Chiefs fans and Reid can get some good work out of Alex. If it does end up being two second round picks though.....:jnc I don't know what Reid is thinking.

Schefter is saying a 2nd and a mid-rounder next year. A bit of an overpay but not atrocious as long as it's a 4th.

effzee

Wow, shocked Reid would want him. Reid has always been a guy that wants to get the ball down the field and have big plays come from the passing game. I dont see small hands fitting in there at all.

My fear is, and I think I mentioned it when he was hired and started assembling a competent coaching staff as opposed to what he did his last 3-4 seasons in Philly, is that now Reid will do everything right. Now he will hire an actual DC and he did. That he will go back to the basics, like when he first arrived in Philly, and build the franhchise the right way from the trenches out.

Then again he is so in love with throwing the ball, going deep, and and hating the running game, I don't see how Alex Smith fits for that type of system.

La Canfora didn't have the team name (though he speculated the Chiefs were it) but was on the money that the deal was in place.

We'll see if Reid can work can work similar magic with Alex Smith that Harbaugh did.

Here is the big question. The reason Alex Smith worked for Harbaugh is because Harbaugh never forced Alex Smith to do anything he can't. In fact they protected him and asked him to only make the plays he could make. Reid doesn't give a shit who his QB is. He wants to pass, go deep, and regardless of OLINE protection, RB talent, and or game and down situation, he runs the same system with little to no adjustments. Basically the opposite of what Harbaugh did.

Very interesting to see how it works. I do believe KC has some talent on that team and the D is underrated. I can see them competing in that division for a wild card spot.

You're just mad that the Patriots and Brady are smarter than your shitty franchise, who gives Mike Vick a 5 year 80 million dollar deal with 40 million guaranteed.

Neither franchise has won anything of note for a long time so they are both shitty. At least the Eagles wont be paying Vick millions when he is 40. Also Vicks guaranteed money was $32.5m, and only $3m of that was guaranteed against injury.

Of the amount, $32.5 million is fully guaranteed, and $3 million is guaranteed for injury only.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/30/vicks-real-deal-five-years-80-million/

That sounds more like it. It better not be for a 2nd...if so, the Chiefs would become more irrelevant than they are now.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
Chiefs will trade second-round pick this year - the top pick in second round - as well as another conditional mid-round pick in 2014.

eznark

Banned
That sounds more like it. It better not be for a 2nd...if so, the Chiefs would become more irrelevant than they are now.

Eh, they need a QB and Smith is better than any QB in this class. If it means they don't have to reach for Geno then I think it's a very, very smart move.

They were going to blow one of their first two picks on a QB, they must have decided they liked Smith more.

Look at it this way, their first two picks are now Luke Joekel and Alex Smith instead of Geno and the 10th best OL.

Wow WTF Chiefs way to make the 9ers a better team, I think I hate you guys. I like squicken said though feel free to squicken to another team.

effzee

Schefter confirming second this year. Mid round next year. The 49ers converted Alex Smith to Harvin or Revis. Unreal

Revis to 49ers would be huge. What kind of pick would it take to land him? I know the Jets said something about a first round pick but for a guy coming off an ACL injury and someone who will command top dollar?

A 2nd round pick would be the highest I would go.

Schefter is saying a 2nd and a mid-rounder next year. A bit of an overpay but not atrocious as long as it's a 4th.
Just saw it come through. 2nd this year and a mid-rounder next year. Definite overpay considering the position of the 2nd rounder but better than what was previously reported. We'll see what Reid can do with Alex before crapping on the deal too much.

Andrew Siciliano ‏@AndrewSiciliano
If the @49ers get the Chiefs 2nd rounder, SF will have 15 picks in 2013, including 5 in the top 93.

that's the stuff of Belichick's dreams

effzee

Eh, they need a QB and Smith is better than any QB in this class. If it means they don't have to reach for Geno then I think it's a very, very smart move.

They were going to blow one of their first two picks on a QB, they must have decided they liked Smith more.

Plus I am sure they are banking on one of the top prospects from this years class being there in the 3rd or 4th round. And if not? They roll with Smith and worst case scenario they have to settle for drafting a QB next draft from a much better class.

Top Bottom