• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

My only thought for why the Chiefs could be doing this is that John Dorsey thought there was no way anyone else could win the division while Peyton was around, so they decided to use Smith for two years while grooming someone to take over once Peyton's gone in 2015. If that's the case, then I guess it works, since I'd rather have Smith as the bridge QB than Cassell.
I think the decision was to help them win games (at least in the short term). The QB situation in KC was/is hilariously bad. Smith can at least provide some stability and ability to win some actual games while the program progresses. He's not the long term answer and there will no doubt be an eye towards a franchise QB in the future (possibly the next draft) but if I were a fan, I'd be happy to at least have a guy under center that can pass the ball efficiently. That's gotta go a long ways towards healing the wounds of watching Matt Cassel and Brady Quinn attempting to play QB!

eznark

Banned
My only thought for why the Chiefs could be doing this is that John Dorsey thought there was no way anyone else could win the division while Peyton was around, so they decided to use Smith for two years while grooming someone to take over once Peyton's gone in 2015. If that's the case, then I guess it works, since I'd rather have Smith as the bridge QB than Cassell.

I see it as a guy coming in trying to change the culture and get the team to winning. They've been real, real bad. I imagine it's a nightmare trying to sign free agents. This is Reid trying to get off on to a winning start with some rapidity. I think with Smith the Chiefs have a legit shot at 6-7 wins. It lays the groundwork for Kansas City being a serious football franchise and not one that is going to take 4 years to rebuild. It's a smart move and will make them competitive.

Of course, if they come out and guaranty him $35m on the 12th then it's fucking dumb!

squicken

It's not trading for Alex, it's what they gave up. There's no way there was a market for him. He was a FA last year and no one wanted him. Now it takes a 2nd and a 4th to acquire him? It's so stupid.

Tamanon

Banned
I thought they would switch 2nd round picks, not just flat out give their second for Smith.

Wow, glad the Jags didn't do the trade then.

It's not trading for Alex, it's what they gave up. There's no way there was a market for him. He was a FA last year and no one wanted him. Now it takes a 2nd and a 4th to acquire him? It's so stupid.

A 2nd and possibly another 2nd. It is nuts that just last year only 1 team even brought him in for an interview, and they decided to go with Matt Moore. Alex gets benched this year and now there is a line of teams dying to trade for him and have to pay him $9m this year? Reid got duped for sure.

brentech

Glad they're moving him. Screwed him early in his career, finally gets somewhere and they benched him.
Wouldn't feel bad if he didn't turn a leaf, but damn. It does has to hurt.

Chiefs seem to have injury concerns with him. At 70+ games started at tackle I don't blame them.

I forgot about his back injury. Just reinforces you can never truly get a stud LT on the market. No team will ever let them go and if they do, it's due to injury as the player wants their next big contract. Long and Albert on the market and both are high risk, sigh.

Steelers have restructured Lawrence Timmons:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

Steelers have completed their restructuring with LB Lawrence Timmons. Convert base and roster bonus to $7M guar as a signing bonus ...

Timmons went from counting $11.1M vs. cap to $5.8M in 2013, but now counts $11.8M in 2014. Big Ben and Woodley will get redone as well

eznark

Banned
A 2nd and possibly another 2nd. It is nuts that just last year only 1 team even brought him in for an interview, and they decided to go with Matt Moore. Alex gets benched this year and now there is a line of teams dying to trade for him and have to pay him $9m this year? Reid got duped for sure.

If the 49ers end up getting two seconds it's safe to say that this was a great deal for the Chiefs.

If the 49ers end up getting two seconds it's safe to say that this was a great deal for the Chiefs.
...but there's no market for him. Despite Jacksonville being apparently in the mix for the trade and recently the Cardinals supposedly had an offer on the table as well but the Niners weren't going to trade him to a division rival according to several sources.

The Alex Smith trade is not with Arizona, to be clear again. The Cards offer was weak. 49ers told people its not AZ. KC remains likely team

...but there's no market for him. Despite Jacksonville being apparently in the mix for the trade and recently the Cardinals supposedly had an offer on the table as well but the Niners weren't going to trade him to a division rival according to several sources.

So since they werent going to trade him to the Cards that left 2 teams, and we dont even know that the Jags made an offer. So Reid was indeed bidding against himself. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I won't mind the Chiefs being good again. They were pretty good in the 90s.

Was Lamar Hunt's death detrimental to the franchise or something?

So since they werent going to trade him to the Cards that left 2 teams, and we dont even know that the Jags made an offer. So Reid was indeed bidding against himself. Thanks for clearing that up. :)
If you honestly think Smith was going to be released by the Niners outright and not traded for value to another club, then your observation is about as useful as your assessment of Cullen Jenkins ability to play the 3-4.

Colasante

I also don't understand why Alex Smith would be considered that much of a better option than Matt Moore. Smith is going to get an extension that will probably be a comparable contract to what Moore will get in FA and signing Moore in FA wouldn't have cost any draft picks.

squicken

The only way you can even possibly rationalize it is if Alex provides some of sort of culture change, and I'm not even sure that was needed. He's not Peyton walking through the door. He is the cast out, benched QB from a good team. Another misfit toy

eznark

Banned

lol, aren't you the one always crying about teams over-valuing picks? I understand that you are trying to pump up your new team, but the "value" of the pick is what it derives. Alex Smith will provide more wins over the short term than any pick would have. It's a good deal for a team trying to re-establish itself as serious.

If you honestly think Smith was going to be released by the Niners outright and not traded for value to another club, then your observation is about as useful as your assessment of Cullen Jenkins ability to play the 3-4.

lol

squicken

lol, aren't you the one always crying about teams over-valuing picks? I understand that you are trying to pump up your new team, but the "value" of the pick is what it derives. Alex Smith will provide more wins over the short term than any pick would have. It's a good deal for a team trying to re-establish itself as serious.

lol

But it's not valuing Alex and the trade vs the player at #34. Value it vs what they could have acquired him for. They got played. I like Alex. Good move to get him. Perfect placeholder QB. Just not a 2nd a 4th QB

We will see. I really hope Cullen does sign with a 3-4 team. I watched him every game the last 2 years and he would just be a guy to take up a blocker now. He is to small to play nose and he is to slow to make plays as a DE. I do absolutely believe that the 9ers would have had to release Alex. No way would they pay him $9m to sit on the bench, and there were at best 2 teams interested in him, but even the Jags already have a younger cheaper QB. I really think Reid got tricked in this case.

eznark

Banned
But it's not valuing Alex and the trade vs the player at #34. Value it vs what they could have acquired him for. They got played. I like Alex. Good move to get him. Perfect placeholder QB. Just not a 2nd a 4th QB

Deals don't happen in a vacuum. Smith's value was inflated by current market conditions.

We will see. I really hope Cullen does sign with a 3-4 team. I watched him every game the last 2 years and he would just be a guy to take up a blocker now. He is to small to play nose and he is to slow to make plays as a DE. I do absolutely believe that the 9ers would have had to release Alex. No way would they pay him $9m to sit on the bench, and there were at best 2 teams interested in him, but even the Jags already have a younger cheaper QB. I really think Reid got tricked in this case.

You realize he played, very successfully, in a 3-4 correct???

Me too. Solid talent throughout the team. Now they have a capable QB. Could be a wildcard team if things work out imo.

Justin_Houston_(cropped).jpg

Now I agree that they have a solid team, and the best young LB in the division, but for them to make it to the WC, they would need to finish with around 8 more wins than this year. They would need to make some serious other moves than only signing Smith to make that happen next year.

Wonder if all this means the Browns go after Geno if/when he's available at no. 6. Banner has said they don't expect to take a QB, and they do have greater needs defensively to address, so I hope not.

yankeehater said:
We will see. I really hope Cullen does sign with a 3-4 team. I watched him every game the last 2 years and he would just be a guy to take up a blocker now. He is to small to play nose and he is to slow to make plays as a DE.
If this wasn't already clearly spelled out for you when your original statement was made I'll do it here - the Eagles signed him from the Packers where he played on the 2010 Super Bowl squad. He was THE anchor on their line.

He doesn't need to prove he can play the 3-4. He's already done it and has been extremely productive as a 3-4 DE and more.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wonder if all this means the Browns go after Geno if/when he's available at no. 6. Banner has said they don't expect to take a QB, and they do have greater needs defensively to address, so I hope not.

No way we spend our pick on a QB. There is already talk that Weeden barring something unforeseen should be the starter next year. There aren't really any guys in this draft you look at and say they are leaps and bounds better than him.

Weeden will most likely be the guy for the next year or two as they decide who the future QB will be.

bionic77

Steelers have restructured Lawrence Timmons:
Timmons has earned his money. He was just average the year after the SB loss, but he was the only LBer had with any athleticism and seemed to lead the team in tackles every week.

Woodley can go eat a giant bag of dicks. That fat fuck was out of shape and didn't do shit. I think old man Harrison on a bum knee had more sacks in less games.

No way we spend our pick on a QB. There is already talk that Weeden barring something unforeseen should be the starter next year. There aren't really any guys in this draft you look at and say they are leaps and bounds better than him.

Weeden will most likely be the guy for the next year or two as they decide who the future QB will be.

I agree that they probably won't do it, just idle speculation. Hopefully Weeden gets better at reading defenses and fits well into the new offense.

JCizzle

Baalke beast mode. A super early second for Alex PLUS MORE?! Yes please!!!

Too bad fuck football bc it sucks. Fuckkkkkkkkkk

Colasante

I was thinking about it, and with Brady's extension, the Mallett era might be over before it has even begun :(.

We can stash him in Cleveland for a couple of years and then he can come back.

I'm getting worried that there's no market for him. Another 2nd this year would do wonders to shore up the defense. I was hoping Pioli would stay in KC so we could dupe him again. I'm surprised Arizona isn't interested. Arians loves a strong armed quarterback and Mallett might be a top 5 QB in the league in terms of arm strength.

Colasante

Why would there be a market for Ryan Mallett?

There is no real reason for there to be one since he's done absolutely nothing in the NFL, unless a team had high marks on him prior to the 2011 draft and was worried about his character issues, which seem to have been largely resolved in New England. Apparently Mike Lombardi had him ranked as his #1 QB in the 11 draft, so there's hoping he'll now trade him for with the Browns.

effzee

It took Pete Carroll and John Schneider 3 seasons to completely rebuild the Seahawks. How many front offices and fan bases have that kind of patience?

Hell, people were starting to call for Pete's head earlier this season.

Well like I said in the case of the Redskins and now with the Seahawks too, it does take the right timing and luck too.

Redskins stunk for 2 seasons under Mike and it helped them land RG3. Seahawks took a chance on Wilson, and then a bigger chance by naming him a starter, and it worked out wonderfully. But he had to be available and it all had to work out. There is no exact science.

Even-though I think overall Reid is a moron, made the only possible logical move. There is no QB in this draft that anyone really cares for. And whoever is there will still be there later where the Chiefs can still pick them up. They still have the #1 overall and can trade down to get more picks.

And while they have sucked, they aren't completely talent depleted. 6 pro-bowlers on a 2 win team. Some good young talent on the defensive side. I'm no big believer in Smith and think he can only work when managed really well, but he is instantly an upgrade over Cassel. Allows them to use this draft and off season to work on the other needs and see how it plays out with Smith. It just might be that they need another new QB next off season but at least then they will have actual options in the draft.

Quite similar to how I reacted to Vick being brought back to the Eagles on a 1 year deal.

Two 2nd round picks does seem high but overall I think people overvalue the draft, and rounds of the picks way too much. The draft is a complete crapshoot at best 50/50. And with Reid and his recent track record of terrible drafts, especially 2nd round picks, probably better off going with a known veteran commodity than banking on an unknown.

If they actually end up giving up 2 second round picks, it will mean Alex Smith performs really well this coming season and then the Chiefs won't really have a problem with that. Essentially they gave up a 2nd round pick this year for a guy did lead the league in QB rating and wasn't playing bad on a SB caliber team. At 28 that isn't a bad deal.

More cause for alarm is how anti-Reid his skill set is and how he will handle that.

effzee

I'm getting worried that there's no market for him. Another 2nd this year would do wonders to shore up the defense. I was hoping Pioli would stay in KC so we could dupe him again. I'm surprised Arizona isn't interested. Arians loves a strong armed quarterback and Mallett might be a top 5 QB in the league in terms of arm strength.

Arizone loves Philly back up QBs!

Foles for a 3rd round pick and I will do backflips of joy!

Banner already ruled out Qb at 6 at the combine I don't feel like finding the article though, I think well sign Matt Moore and weeden and Moore will compete for job

Top Bottom