• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Redskins stunk for 2 seasons under Mike and it helped them land RG3. Seahawks took a chance on Wilson, and then a bigger chance by naming him a starter, and it worked out wonderfully. But he had to be available and it all had to work out. There is no exact science.

Not really, they gave up 3 firsts and a second to move up to draft him.

There is no real reason for there to be one since he's done absolutely nothing in the NFL, unless a team had high marks on him prior to the 2011 draft and was worried about his character issues, which seem to have been largely resolved in New England. Apparently Mike Lombardi had him ranked as his #1 QB in the 11 draft, so there's hoping he'll now trade him for with the Browns.

If they can get Mallett for a song (relatively speaking) then that would at least give Weeden some competition. Which I wouldn't necessarily mind.

effzee

Not really, they gave up 3 firsts and a second to move up to draft him.

They did suck for 2 seasons and had no answers at QB. Meant more that they were in a position of need to draft RG3, not that their draft position helped necessarily.

They needed a QB when Mike took over and they still two years later. It just so happened to be that it was the year of Luck and RG3.

squicken

I can't imagine anyone trading for Mallett, but then I couldn't imagine Alex Smith being worth a second and a fourth. Seems like Cassell should go back home, though. He had a couple of decent years when managed well by Haley

LevelNth

Banned
With this additional almost 1st round pick, I wouldn't be opposed to franchising Goldson and then trading him as well; safety franchise tag is one of the most attractive in the league, even if his will be 120%.

JCizzle

I can't imagine anyone trading for Mallett, but then I couldn't imagine Alex Smith being worth a second and a fourth. Seems like Cassell should go back home, though. He had a couple of decent years when managed well by Haley

I'm seeing a 2nd + 3rd. The 3rd can become a 2nd if chiefs win enough games.

Striker

There's some decent players at Safety this year - I'm not sure why anybody would spend a 1st on Goldson along with giving him a big contract.

mr2xxx

Banned
WTF Chiefs?

Matt Cassel - 58.9 completion %, 13,495 yards, 82 TD, 57 INT, 24 Fumbles, 80.4 Passer Rating

Alex Smith - 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 81 TD, 63 INT, 36 Fumbles, 79.1 Passer Rating

You have Andy Reid who is going to pass 40 times a game and you get Alex Smith? The Alex Smith who only looked good under a great O-Line and running game, and had a great D to boot. Somehow he will carry a team now without those 3 other things? I just don't see him being much of an upgrade over Cassel. I'm just sad there are no Chiefs fans here to laugh at.

WTF Chiefs?

Matt Cassel - 58.9 completion %, 13,495 yards, 82 TD, 57 INT, 24 Fumbles, 80.4 Passer Rating

Alex Smith - 59.3 completion %, 14,280 yards, 81 TD, 63 INT, 36 Fumbles, 79.1 Passer Rating

You have Andy Reid who is going to pass 40 times a game and you get Alex Smith? The Alex Smith who only looked good under a great O-Line and running game, and had a great D to boot. Somehow he will carry a team now without those 3 other things? I just don't see him being much of an upgrade over Cassel. I'm just sad there are no Chiefs fans here to laugh at.

Cassell his Patriots year boosted his stats a bit, and he wasn't THAT bad in his first 2 years in KC. Plus from what I read, the Oline isn't all that bad over there, and if they use the first overall pick on it, it will be even better.

Their D is pretty good, with a solid LB group, including 2 pretty darn good pass rushers.

And they still have Jamaal Charles who seemed to be doing fairly well last year after his knee injury.

Deals don't happen in a vacuum. Smith's value was inflated by current market conditions.

You realize he played, very successfully, in a 3-4 correct???

If this wasn't already clearly spelled out for you when your original statement was made I'll do it here - the Eagles signed him from the Packers where he played on the 2010 Super Bowl squad. He was THE anchor on their line.

He doesn't need to prove he can play the 3-4. He's already done it and has been extremely productive as a 3-4 DE and more.

Yes he played well in a 3-4 years ago. He is older now though. Players skills decline over time. Hell the Eagles even tried to play him some at DE due to their run D being horrible and it failed big time.

Godslay

Banned
Justin_Houston_(cropped).jpg

Now I agree that they have a solid team, and the best young LB in the division, but for them to make it to the WC, they would need to finish with around 8 more wins than this year. They would need to make some serious other moves than only signing Smith to make that happen next year.

Depending on the schedule its possible. If you look at last year their defense held its own. The offense couldn't score or stay on the field so the defense suffered. Smith and Reid will remedy that. It will turn around fast imo.

mr2xxx

Banned
Cassell his Patriots year boosted his stats a bit, and he wasn't THAT bad in his first 2 years in KC. Plus from what I read, the Oline isn't all that bad over there, and if they use the first overall pick on it, it will be even better.

Their D is pretty good, with a solid LB group, including 2 pretty darn good pass rushers.

And they still have Jamaal Charles who seemed to be doing fairly well last year after his knee injury.

Yeah but Alex had 2 years under Harbaugh so his stats are more inflated. Reid will be Reid and overuse Alex while under utilizing Charles.

Quikies83

WTF Chiefs?

There are a few Chiefs fans here...
And we don't have a o-line or running game? This is news to me and everyone else who follows the NFL.
The defense is also pretty stacked with talent -- it was a bad defensive scheme and offense that couldn't stay on the field that have plagued us. We'll no longer be running the 2 gap 3-4.. We'll be running a 1-gap this year.

Uh oh things might get interesting

Matt Miller ‏ @ nfldraftscout
Relevant time to note that the # Browns reportedly love Geno Smith, but didn't expect him to be available.

Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
Source says # Browns are interested in QB Geno Smith. He will definitely get attention from Cleveland's front office

LevelNth

Banned
Kawakami or whatever his name is in SF has confirmed the trade is for 2nd round in 2013 and 3rd round in 2014. 2014 pick is conditional to a 2nd depending upon performance; unknown whether that's Smith's performance or KC's.

cdyhybrid

Chiefs still the Chefs. Alex is much better than Cassel but not worth a second, let alone a second and another pick.

Doesn't matter though, unless they're using those picks on deer antler spray for half their D Russell is still gonna tear that ass up.

At least this means we'll get compensated nicely if we trade HoFlynn.

And we don't have a o-line or running game? This is news to me and everyone else who follows the NFL.
The defense is also pretty stacked with talent -- it was a bad defensive scheme and offense that couldn't stay on the field that have plagued us. We'll no longer be running the 2 gap 3-4.. We'll be running a 1-gap this year.

I'll help you spread the word of the Chiefs!

Tell them about Justin Houston.

Quikies83

I'll help you spread the word of the Chiefs!

Tell them about Justin Houston.

Heh, you've been all over Justin for quite a while now. So glad he decided to smoke up before the draft and fall to us.
Having him and Hali on the edge works great -- and he's pretty good in coverage and has great instincts.
He'll be a Chief for a long time.

eznark

Banned
hahahaha, ESPN Chicago doesn't think the latest arrest of Webb will result in his getting cut because apparently the new regime think he has a lot of talent!

bahahaha

squicken

Chiefs still the Chefs. Alex is much better than Cassel but not worth a second, let alone a second and another pick.

Doesn't matter though, unless they're using those picks on deer antler spray for half their D Russell is still gonna tear that ass up.

At least this means we'll get compensated nicely if we trade HoFlynn.

Well they can always move up and grab a top flight DT. Pair him up with Aldon and that defense is back on track. I think the smarter move is to trade that Chiefs 2nd for Revis.

mr2xxx

Banned

Didn't mean you guys were horrible in those areas just that compared to the 9ers your D, OL and run game aren't on par. Then you add Andy Reid and your running game will be much worse.

eznark

Banned
Didn't mean you guys were horrible in those areas just that compared to the 9ers your D, OL and run game aren't on par. Then you add Andy Reid and your running game will be much worse.

McCoy averaged about 1000 yard a season (he had 1300+ last year) the last four years and 4.6 yards per carry. Maybe time to relax on the "Reid teams can't run."

Quikies83

But our O-line and running game are "on par" with SF... 49ers were number 4 in team rushing while the Chiefs were all the way at number 5... Charles averaged 5.8 yards per touch.

Excellent.

Dan Graziano @espn_nfceast

RT @AdamSchefter: Giants signed offensive tackle Will Beatty to a five-year, $38.75 million deal, per sources.

Patricia Traina @Patricia_Traina

Beatty's new deal reportedly contains about $19M of guaranteed money.

Also:

@ProFootballTalk: Steelers WR Antonio Brown restructures contract to create cap space, per source

Word on the Marty B front is that the Giants are likely to let him walk. Talk about a TE in the first round of the draft aren't exactly crazy for the Giants. To be frank, if the Giants can get a Tyler Eifert at 19, I won't be complaining.

eznark

Banned
Like it's been said, he's better than anything in the draft. You're getting rid of Cassell on the upside!

I wouldn't be shocked if Smith's contract is heavily weighted to the first year effectively being a one year deal.

He should listen to me. I've already fixed the Browns and am well on my way to fixing the Chiefs.

Like it's been said, he's better than anything in the draft. You're getting rid of Cassell on the upside!

I wouldn't be shocked if Smith's contract is heavily weighted to the first year effectively being a one year deal.

I would rather watch the Chiefs draft a quarterback at #1 overall and run the risk of him being a complete bust than have to watch the next 3 seasons of Alex Smith-Cassel take this team nowhere. And they paid a high price for the privilege.

Top Bottom