• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I would rather watch the Chiefs draft a quarterback at #1 overall and run the risk of him being a complete bust than have to watch the next 3 seasons of Alex Smith-Cassel take this team nowhere. And they paid a high price for the privilege.

I really don't think it'll be any worse than a one year band-aid. If Smith does great, you're out a 2nd rounder. If he's awful, you grab a QB in next year's draft where it statistically won't be as awful (meaning that it's unlikely you have two straight years of suckitude for QBs).

edit: And it sounds like Cassel is being shipped out. A 2nd and a 3rd isn't that high of a price for a QB that can start day one.

i fucking hate the new regime. so,so much

Already?

Heh, you've been all over Justin for quite a while now. So glad he decided to smoke up before the draft and fall to us.
Having him and Hali on the edge works great -- and he's pretty good in coverage and has great instincts.
He'll be a Chief for a long time.

He's a fucking stud. I'll send you wooden shoes and Gouda cheese for the rest of your life if you convince Reid to trade him to NE. Hali got all the press, but Houston outplayed him throughout the season.

LevelNth

Banned
I wouldn't be shocked if Smith's contract is heavily weighted to the first year effectively being a one year deal.
Third and final year on his deal, which is the 2014 season, has nothing guaranteed, so no cap penalty to release him outside of remaining SB portion.

Who does that card game, seriously? I was able to sell my Amazon-exclusive Ultimate Team cards on the Bay for like $20 right after 13 came out, so I'm not complaining, but what is the appeal here?

League will investigate questioning of Nick Kasa at Combine

On Tuesday, Colorado tight end Nick Kasa told ESPN Radio Denver that he was asked, by at least one team at the Scouting Combine, “Do you like girls?”

The NFL does not like that.

Spokesman Greg Aiello tells PFT that the NFL will investigate the situation.

“We will look into the report on the questioning of Nick Kasa at the Scouting Combine,” Aiello said. “Any team or employee that inquires about impermissible subjects or makes an employment decision based on such factors is subject to league discipline.”

Apart from the breaking of league rules, teams who ask those questions could be breaking the law.

“Like all employers, our teams are expected to follow applicable federal, state and local employment laws,” Aiello said. “It is league policy to neither consider nor inquire about sexual orientation in the hiring process. In addition, there are specific protections in our collective bargaining agreement with the players that prohibit discrimination against any player, including on the basis of sexual orientation.”

Kasa appeared on Wednesday’s edition of The Dan Patrick Show to discuss the questions. And while Kasa suggested it was asked jokingly, the league offices realizes it’s no joke.

3 things

1. Teams openly preach about that it's okay to come out, and how they wouldn't care, but we all know they do, how much would it affect a players draft stock if he was indeed openly gay?

2. He's not going to the 49'ers that's for sure.

3. Wonder how many teams asked Manti this question.

squicken

-Vontae Davis tweets Sean Smith told him he is talking to the Chiefs (which is tampering)

-Davis says his account was hacked

-Smith says Davis was lying about his account being hacked

Good day for the Chiefs. Also, still not sure Vontae Davis firing on all cylinders

-Vontae Davis tweets Sean Smith told him he is talking to the Chiefs (which is tampering)

-Davis says his account was hacked

-Smith says Davis was lying about his account being hacked

Good day for the Chiefs. Also, still not sure Vontae Davis firing on all cylinders

Ahahahaha, god damn those two are fucking dumb.

eznark

Banned
This is the tampering window. Not a big deal. Surprised it hasn't been formalized yet. I think they tried to a couple years ago.

mr2xxx

Banned
But our O-line and running game are "on par" with SF... 49ers were number 4 in team rushing while the Chiefs were all the way at number 5... Charles averaged 5.8 yards per touch.

5.1 ypc vs 4.8 ypc, but the big one is 17 vs 9 rushing TDs. While Cassel is to blame for most of the lack of production there are other issues. Like how many of those running yards were garbage time since your team did go 2-14? Another unbiased metric is football outsiders who has SF OL at #1 in run blocking while KC is #19, then in pass blocking SF is #29 while KC is #27.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Someone was telling a combine story where there was a written question that stated "Do you like tall girls?". The test taker crossed out the t and answered yes.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
How is EA going to force micro-transactions into Madden?

Look at how they handled Madden for iOS this year. You had to pay to play the actual games. You could play, like, one half then there was a timer or that would count down before you could play the other half. You could pay to decrease the timer.

From their FAQ. Check the enthusiastic "yes" as to how they believe we view microtransactions

3. Why is there Energy and how does it work?
Energy is spent to start a new drive. Energy reloads over time, so if you run out, just wait a few minutes for a recharge. If you don't want to wait, get more Energy in the Shop!

4. Is there a Shop and are there in-game currencies? Is there an Auction house?
Yes! For more information on the in-game Shop, Coins, Madden NFL Social Cash, and Auctions, head over here!

https://help.ea.com/article/general-faq-for-madden-social-on-ios#top

Quikies83

5.1 ypc vs 4.8 ypc, but the big one is 17 vs 9 rushing TDs. While Cassel is to blame for most of the lack of production there are other issues. Like how many of those running yards were garbage time since your team did go 2-14? Another unbiased metric is football outsiders who has SF OL at #1 in run blocking while KC is #19, then in pass blocking SF is #29 while KC is #27.

So we got our yards from garbage time (cause you typically don't throw the ball when you're down big, right?) and rushing game is only really important if it's in the red zone.
gotcha

cdyhybrid

I heard about the Kasa thing yesterday. Interesting story. It could be a legitimate question or it could be a shit test to look for a reaction. Maybe they're legitimately curious - maybe the locker room has a few Cullivers and they don't want to upset chemistry.

Colasante

eznark

Banned
I heard about the Kasa thing yesterday. Interesting story. It could be a legitimate question or it could be a shit test to look for a reaction. Maybe they're legitimately curious - maybe the locker room has a few Cullivers and they don't want to upset chemistry.

It's ostensibly a job interview so I can't imagine it's a legal question.

bionic77

I would rather watch the Chiefs draft a quarterback at #1 overall and run the risk of him being a complete bust than have to watch the next 3 seasons of Alex Smith-Cassel take this team nowhere. And they paid a high price for the privilege.
Or just use those draft picks to shore up other deficiencies and wait for a better draft for a and pray you get lucky or a better free agent class.

Desperation only makes sense if you are trying to win a SB. Desperation to be mediocre is rarely well rewarded.

jakncoke

Banned

lol wut, if anything being down 70% of the time would lead to decrease rushing and increased passing. also bravo sir you are the first to make a case for garbage time rushing yards

The Chiefs have been shoring up their deficiencies and waiting for the perfect quarterback my entire life. And by trading for and starting Alex Smith for at least the next two years, the Chiefs are obviously desperate to be mediocre.

Also, this trade likely means letting Branden Albert walk, tagging Bowe and drafting Joeckel/Fisher.

The Chiefs will have essentially traded the first overall pick, pick #34 and a pick next year for Alex Smith.

eznark

Banned

I'm considering ":buttfumble" for posts too stupid for further response. Like, everytime yankee talks football it gets :buttfumble. It feels too long though so after a week or so I'll have to shorten it, just not sure what I should use. :bfb, :bfm...I just don't know.

It's just in consideration mind you. You guys are lucky, getting a rare glimpse into my process.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I'm considering ":buttfumble" for posts too stupid for further response. Like, everytime yankee talks football it gets :buttfumble. It feels too long though so after a week or so I'll have to shorten it, just not sure what I should use. :bfb, :bfm...I just don't know.

It's just in consideration mind you. You guys are lucky, getting a rare glimpse into my process.

:bff butt fumble forever

mr2xxx

Banned
lol wut, if anything being down 70% of the time would lead to decrease rushing and increased passing. also bravo sir you are the first to make a case for garbage time rushing yards

Who wouldn't want the hands in Charles's hands instead of Cassel's. They did score more TDs on the ground than through the air in the entire season. Cassel only avg. 200 yds per game despite being in garbage time so the question isn't far fetched.

I like to think my :bfb post earlier helped inspire this process.

eznark

Banned
I like to think my :bfb post earlier helped inspire this process.

Shit I missed it! I'm not trying to steal your lines! Sometimes brilliant ideas are just birthed at different places at the same time due to fantastic circumstances. Can you really blame me for being so inspired:

sanchez-butt-fumble.gif

Shit I missed it! I'm not trying to steal your lines! Sometimes brilliant ideas are just birthed at different places at the same time due to fantastic circumstances. Can you really blame me for being so inspired:

sanchez-butt-fumble.gif
Well to be fair I only played a part by making a post so stupid that I had no other option but to self-label it a personal buttfumble. So at the most my stupidity was a catalyst or something, haha.

Thread needs more bfb.gif, though.

sanchez-butt-fumble.gif

eznark

Banned
Eznark is in that troublesome period if the year between the Super Bowl and opening day. Stay out of his way.

It's really the fucking worst. March can die. I have no idea if I even like the Alex Smith trade I just want to yell at people for being idiots.

You already fucked it up! The point is the post is too dumb for anything else!

Christ one post and it's already "TAINT!!!!!!!"

I was trying to help you have it catch on. Didnt realize there were rules and shit involved. I would think wanting Holmgren to run your team is a fairly silly point but what ever.

squicken

The Chiefs have been shoring up their deficiencies and waiting for the perfect quarterback my entire life. And by trading for and starting Alex Smith for at least the next two years, the Chiefs are obviously desperate to be mediocre.

Also, this trade likely means letting Branden Albert walk, tagging Bowe and drafting Joeckel/Fisher.

The Chiefs will have essentially traded the first overall pick, pick #34 and a pick next year for Alex Smith.

Well letting Albert go, you don't know what you use that money on. I see your point, but it's not quite fair. It's a bad trade, but hopefully they draft a developmental guy they can let sit a couple of years

Top Bottom