• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Has anyone seen Sound FX: Joe Flacco. He comes across pretty confident. A dork, but a confident one.

There is a part where he says to Torrey Smith " you're leading the league in yards per catch, did you know that? That's what happens when you have a mustacheoed gunslinger for a quarterback"

squicken

Joe Flacco: $52 million in total guaranteed money of $120.6 million deal, $62 million payout in first three years, $51 million in 1st 2 yrs

Actually less guaranteed than Bradford got

More Flacco: $29 million signing bonus; Option bonuses of $15M and $7M built into the deal; $30M in Year 1; $51M thru 2; $62M thru 3.

The fourth-year cap hit of $29 million makes this, in essence, a 3-year deal for Flacco. That cap figure will need to be addressed in '16.

2013 cap figure is 6.8m

Joe Flacco: $52 million in total guaranteed money of $120.6 million deal, $62 million payout in first three years, $51 million in 1st 2 yrs

Actually less guaranteed than Bradford got

More Flacco: $29 million signing bonus; Option bonuses of $15M and $7M built into the deal; $30M in Year 1; $51M thru 2; $62M thru 3.

The fourth-year cap hit of $29 million makes this, in essence, a 3-year deal for Flacco. That cap figure will need to be addressed in '16.

2013 cap figure is 6.8m

This is pretty favorable for us, at least to start.

*Exasperated sigh of relief*

The problem is that if he goes back to old Joe you have to keep him. He'll have so much dead money that you can't cut him in 2015. That's why it's bad to pro-rate so much bonus money

We still only have about 11 mil in cap space, with Pitta, Dickson, and Arthur Jones as RFAs to lock up. I don't expect to see Ed, Ellerbe, or Kruger back next year.

Hopefully by 2016 he'll be a hero and restructure.

squicken

We still only have about 11 mil in cap space, with Pitta, Dickson, and Arthur Jones as RFAs to lock up. I don't expect to see Ed, Ellerbe, or Kruger back next year.

He's getting at least 52m and probably 62m. That has to go into some year's cap. So you are committed to him like the Colts and Pats have with Peyton and Brady. Have to constantly restructure with the knowledge that the player will always have the leverage and at some point you will go through cap hell when the player is no longer useful

squicken

Squicken, I'm trying to positive here!! You're pushing towards the edge, man!

Look at it like this. The Colts went through 2011 and 2012 in cap hell. In 2011 they sucked for Luck, and in 2012 they went 11-5. Now they have 40m in cap room and are going to win 5 SBs in the next decade. That can be you guys in a few years!

the-shining-gif-nodding.gif
Yes

squicken

Flacco's 2014 cap number is 21m. Don't really see why they are doing what they are. Cuts will come in 2014 instead of 2013. Meanwhile they waste 2 years instead of one year of Torrey Smith, Flacco, Ngata

edit: My guess is the Ravens and Flacco's agent don't want the big bad. If all these guys get cut to pay him, that's not the best thing for chemistry. So he looks like a guy creating space to sign a teammate, even though functionally his contract will get guys cut next year

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
It feels like it hasn't been as necessary to upgrade for a few years. I have an older system that can do games pretty well and it's packing an older AMD CPU and a 5770. My newer rig has a 6970 with one of those 2500k Intel CPUs. While I love the performance of the newer machine, the older one can still play probably everything and be fine for it.

I remember the period from about 1998 to 2004 being really ridiculous for PC upgrades. A two year old machine was seemingly woefully out of date as far as performance. Not that a 2010 machine has a lot in common with a 2004 machine but it still feels like things have stagnated with this long console generation.

The new consoles will probably change things a lot in the near future. I'm excited for the graphical upgrades on PC if nothing else.
I think they push the upgrades out more quickly right around the beginning of a console cycle. Got to get that separation.
Crazy Carl.
They're all crazy.

eznark

Banned
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ack-joe-flacco-contract/1961189/?sf10098723=1

Only $52m guaranteed for a 6 year contract and only $6.8 million counts against this years cap. Great deal for Baltimore.

My guess is the Ravens and Flacco's agent don't want the big bad. If all these guys get cut to pay him, that's not the best thing for chemistry. So he looks like a guy creating space to sign a teammate, even though functionally his contract will get guys cut next year
Rumor is a pretty large cap bump next year so they are banking on that. Given what King NFL Kraft just did, it's probably a safe bet.

Ravens lose a lot of overpaid guys after the next season. Oher, Boldin, and Leach are all multi-million contracts that will UFA's. Combine that with Stabbin Ray and Homeless Ed and the Ravens won't be in any serious trouble cap wise. By taking a low cap number this year Flacco allows them to go after some free agents or bring back some guys who would walk this year and bonus them to beat the cap later. When you look at their salary breakdown it's the smartest way they could have gone with the money schedule.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/yearly/

Did you retards resign Ray Rice yet?
He is signed through 2017, why would they trade him?

squicken

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...ack-joe-flacco-contract/1961189/?sf10098723=1

Only $52m guaranteed for a 6 year contract and only $6.8 million counts against this years cap. Great deal for Baltimore.

Rumor is a pretty large cap bump next year so they are banking on that. Given what King NFL Kraft just did, it's probably a safe bet.

Ravens lose a lot of overpaid guys after the next season. Oher, Boldin, and Leach are all multi-million contracts that will UFA's. Combine that with Stabbin Ray and Homeless Ed and the Ravens won't be in any serious trouble cap wise. By taking a low cap number this year Flacco allows them to go after some free agents or bring back some guys who would walk this year and bonus them to beat the cap later. When you look at their salary breakdown it's the smartest way they could have gone with the money schedule.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/yearly/

He is signed through 2017, why would they trade him?

I thought both owners and PA wanted a smooth increase, and not a bump, so guys signing now aren't screwed and demanding new deals?

squicken

Damn

Two years ago, the Jags took Blaine Gabbert with the 10th overall pick, and he became the team's starting quarterback early in his rookie season. Since then, every major decision-maker in the building has been replaced with a trio of newcomers: owner Shad Khan, general manager Dave Caldwell and coach Gus Bradley. And when Caldwell and Bradley do their due diligence on Gabbert, they may not like what they hear.

First of all, at the Jags' facility, the 23-year-old is known as Blame Gabbert. "Nothing's ever his fault," said one former Jags assistant. There are internal knocks on Gabbert's intangibles (leadership, attitude, accountability) and, though his pocket presence improved last season, there were still concerns that he gets "scared" under pressure. He also has issues with accuracy (58.3 completion percentage in 2012).

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--s...t--other-2012-nfl-starting-qbs-023017123.html

edit: All sorts of stuff there

-Marc Davis is the push behind hiring Holmgren and evaluating Pryor

-Chud and Norv like Weeden and want to develop him, vs Banner and Lombardi who want to draft a QB

-Cards don't like Geno, Glennon is soft and has been compared to Schoob, may like Barkley despite not being ideal Arians size. Also in market for trades. Maybe Foles but "one AFC personnel executive referred to the strong-armed, slow-footed Foles, who played collegiately at Arizona, as a "poor man's Roethlisberger, without the foot speed." . Generally they are fucked. May have to live with another year of Kolb

-Thinking is Bills like Nassib, but unclear where they would draft him

-Jets and Sanchez: "What Sparano did to that kid set him back," said one AFC personnel executive familiar with the Jets' situation. "They set him up to fail. The system gave him no chance. It was like a grab bag. Every play was recess. He's not near that bad. But I don't know if they can save him." <-- squicken says: Wasted a year of Prime Tebow is the crime here

-No market for Flynn b/c if Philbin didn't want him

Lunchbox

Banned

enjoy losing to the bengals and browns for the next 6 years

with you criminals out of the way and Brady being a team player and taking a cut, we are basically guaranteed atleast 3 more superbowls until the texans find a real QB

squicken

Peter King giving you guys the truth you don't want to hear about a real American hero, Thomas Brady

This is what I hear from people in the media business and on Twitter, by and large: The three-year, $27 million contract extension's a phony deal.

Or, put another way: He'll never play for $7 million, total, in 2015. The quarterback and the Pats have to have some agreement -- tacit, at least -- to re-do the deal if Brady's still Brady then.

-"No, no, no,'' Patriots owner Robert Kraft told me. "This is a real deal. Look at our track record. We don't do fake deals. The contract we have with Tom Brady is a real contract we will both live by."

- I just didn't want to ever see this become like Joe Montana leaving San Francisco, Emmitt Smith leaving Dallas, Brett Favre leaving Green Bay, Peyton Manning leaving Indianapolis. If Tom Brady played out this current contract and left us, there was no doubt in my mind that someone out there would pay him top dollar, and they should, for his ability, his leadership and his unselfishness.

-We're taking a chance making this commitment, and he's taking one, in terms of his ability to maximize pay. I just thought if winning is the most important thing to him, and I think it is, and it certainly is to our family, this gives us the best chance to win. Hopefully we have an elite quarterback that, even if his skills decline even a little bit, he'll still be better than 90 percent of the quarterbacks in the league.

- We're going to spend to the cap. Tom knows that it's not like whatever we don't pay him we're putting in the Kraft family pocket. He gets it, and now he's rooting for us to make the right decisions in building the team.

-"I credit Tom for doing the right thing and thinking outside the box. That's what we're trying to do as an organization, and certainly what Bill Belichick tries to do as a coach.

-"These people [more like YOU PEOPLE] don't know the relationship between Tommy and this team,'' he said. "Maybe they hate the Patriots, or they're jealous.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nf...ing-monday-morning-quarterback/#ixzz2MY9CNSHm
------
As for the other guarantees, the final three years will be guaranteed year by year. In some quarters it's been reported that Brady will have the final $24 million guaranteed if he's healthy and able to play in 2015. In reality, the 2015 salary will be guaranteed if he's healthy entering that league year, and the 2016 and '17 salaries guaranteed similarly, year by year, if he's healthy.

Brady has $33 million guaranteed today. The $7 million, $8 million and $9 million salaries in 2015, '16 and '17 will be guaranteed, but only if Brady enters each of those league seasons healthy.

Or is because because Brady isn't the breadwinner at home, where his wife takes in way more than he does a year? He really wants an untainted championship, which he'll never get. Pats salt is so tasty. It's nice to own such a selfrighteous franchise. Enjoy becoming the Eagles.

Why dont the Pats just restructure all their contracts into bonuses so they can totally ignore the salary cap? I mean, thats what they are doing with Tom.

He's still getting what he was getting before.

eznark

Banned
Peter King giving you guys the truth you don't want to hear about a real American hero, Thomas Brady

Peter King blowing Tom Brady?! Shocking!! Stop the presses!

Oh lol, Kraft is acknowledging that this is a steal of a deal for Brady so yeah, nice work Pete!

bionic77

I so would for Shenmue 3.

Also, ari called Shenmue "fucking awful". Is there still room on the ari hater bandwagon?
Shenmue 1 was not even that good of a game. It was so boring. Never played the 2nd, which was much better. It was ahead of its time in being the first open world game, but GTA figured out how to make one to appeal to the mass market by allowing you to kill and rape everyone instead of moving barrels and making money to buy ice cream and play space harrier. His girlfiend in the first one was hot though, and had huge tits if I remember correctly, but I think they were hidden underneath a sweater. That is all I remember about Shenmue. That Ryo was gay for sailors and they had at that time made the hottest female videogame character. Neither is why I am into videogames.

:lol @ Peter King ever giving us the truth about anything.

Remember all those dick sucking stories about Farve retiring? King just writes down whatever people tell him to.

He is almost as dumb as you are to worship at the false alter of Tammy Samantha Brady (I do give Tammy props though for not taking the name of the man in the house, most women just cave and give up their names for dat ring).

Milchjon

Shenmue 1 was not even that good of a game. It was so boring. Never played the 2nd, which was much better. It was ahead of its time in being the first open world game, but GTA figured out how to make one to appeal to the mass market by allowing you to kill and rape everyone instead of moving barrels and making money to buy ice cream and play space harrier. His girlfiend in the first one was hot though, and had huge tits if I remember correctly, but I think they were hidden underneath a sweater. That is all I remember about Shenmue. That Ryo was gay for sailors and they had at that time made the hottest female videogame character. Neither is why I am into videogames.

>:-(

everyone else >>>>you==ari

-Jets and Sanchez: "What Sparano did to that kid set him back," said one AFC personnel executive familiar with the Jets' situation. "They set him up to fail. The system gave him no chance. It was like a grab bag. Every play was recess. He's not near that bad. But I don't know if they can save him." <-- squicken says: Wasted a year of Prime Tebow is the crime here
Man, this gives me a whole new level of appreciation for Sparano.

Top Bottom