• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

See I actually read the story and thought that Kraft screwed over Brady with his fake sentiment act, the way he used it on the players in the CBA negotiations. Calls him "Tommy", a diminutive, like a father to a son. Gushing in his praise for Brady's unselfishness and dedication. He made the offer when he and Tommy were on a plane together, w/o the agent around. Then praises the agent for not screwing it up. He's very good

edit: Good read on the real ramifications of restructuring. It's not all funny money

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/42239236

Yeah, like I'm take Robert "Bill told me spying didn't help this team one iota and I believe him" Kraft at his word.

And Flacco is the TRUEST American because he's a winner and openly embraces capitalism.
You
People in this thread trying to paint selflessness as an American value. THERE ARE TOO MANY EUROPEANS IN HERE, THEY'RE TAINTING OUR MINDS!

Milchjon

Yeah, like I'm take Robert "Bill told me spying didn't help this team one iota and I believe him" Kraft at his word.

And Flacco is the TRUEST American because he's a winner and openly embraces capitalism.
You
People in this thread trying to paint selflessness as an American value. THERE ARE TOO MANY EUROPEANS IN HERE, THEY'RE TAINTING OUR MINDS!

Bah. I too believe in the survival of the stabbiest.

He always takes the German jokes, tho :-D

If we ever meet, I'll give him a few jelly donuts/Berliner.

Because I'm the German NFL-GAF deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So you'll joke about me. Because I can take it. Because I'm not your hero. I'm a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Europian knight.

You

E-U! E-U! E-U!

bionic77

You
It is going to be very enjoyable watching how you and BLarry react to Baltimore's huge fall off next year. It is going to worse than the Steelers after 2008.

The best part will be Flacco having that dumb smile on his face as it falls apart knowing he got his ring and his money.

>:-(

everyone else >>>>you==ari
If you like it that is all that matters.

Did not even come close to living up to the hype for me (It was supposed to be open world, rpg, plus somehow have a fighting system that was equal to VF3). Graphically it was amazing at the time, but if the gameplay is not fun then I don't give a fuck. It was ahead of its time but I don't usually like those type of games much anyways.

Milchjon

I don't think this sentence belongs on GAF.

But yeah, I've never seen a world that felt so alive in any other game. And since I like a touch of escapism in my games, I'll always love it. I've had as much fun with other games, but I don't think I'll ever love one as much.

It's the game that made me a gamer back then and Shenmue III would be the game to make me a gamer again.

bionic77

I don't think this sentence belongs on GAF.

But yeah, I've never seen a world that felt so alive in any other game. And since I like a touch of escapism in my games, I'll always love it. I've had as much fun with other games, but I don't think I'll ever love one as much.

It's the game that made me a gamer back then and Shenmue III would be the game to make me a gamer again.
Fuck you are young.

I started gaming in the arcade and on Atari. My mind was blown several times over the ensuing decades, but the first time I remember being blown away was by Super Mario Bros. on the NES. The jump from Atari to that is almost a big a the jump from SNES to Mario64.

So many great games along the way.

I honestly can't even remember the first game that got me into games. Was probably something like PacMan or Asteroids when I was like 3 or 4.

bionic77

Serious question, do you guys still have faith in Ben?
Most Steelers fans knew he was going to break down in the second half of his career.

He can still get it done, but the big question mark to me is his health. His body has failed him in the last two seasons, both injuries were to his legs. And last year was probably the least punishment I have ever seen him take as a qb.

Other than his health he is not the problem, but time is quickly running out on him and our window for getting back to Superbowls.

Milchjon

Fuck you are young.

I started gaming in the arcade and on Atari. My mind was blown several times over the ensuing decades, but the first time I remember being blown away was by Super Mario Bros. on the NES. The jump from Atari to that is almost a big a the jump from SNES to Mario64.

So many great games along the way.

I honestly can't even remember the first game that got me into games. Was probably something like PacMan or Asteroids when I was like 3 or 4.

I only started gaming in my teens.

Sanjuro

Normally I don't think he is the problem. He just is the type to gut it out when he shouldn't be, putting the team in a tough spot for certain games. I think you need a solid backup pocket passer.

Like Ryan Mallett!

bionic77

Normally I don't think he is the problem. He just is the type to gut it out when he shouldn't be, putting the team in a tough spot for certain games. I think you need a solid backup pocket passer.

Like Ryan Mallett!
We have too much money tied up in old players on defense to be able to sign a good backup passer. And we have struck the fuck out in the draft whenever we have drafted a number two.

I don't even know what we are going to do next year. I mean Sandwich might be our best option and if Ben gets hurt by the usual shit team going for his legs (looking at you Kansas City and Cleveland) then we will be fucked as usual in the last month of the season. Too bad the league doesn't protect athletic qb's...

xnipx

It is going to be very enjoyable watching how you and BLarry react to Baltimore's huge fall off next year. It is going to worse than the Steelers after 2008.

The best part will be Flacco having that dumb smile on his face as it falls apart knowing he got his ring and his money.

Did not even come close to living up to the hype for me (It was supposed to be open world, rpg, plus somehow have a fighting system that was equal to VF3). Graphically it was amazing at the time, but if the gameplay is not fun then I don't give a fuck. It was ahead of its time but I don't usually like those type of games much anyways.

I'll guarantee anything we will have a better record than the steelers next year

bionic77

I'll guarantee anything we will have a better record than the steelers next year
I am hoping to win 9 or 10 games.

I don't see the Ravens winning 8.

Superbowl hangover is real. You had your fun. Now prepare for the embarrassment that follows.

eznark

Banned
We have too much money tied up in old players on defense to be able to sign a good backup passer. And we have struck the fuck out in the draft whenever we have drafted a number two.

I don't even know what we are going to do next year. I mean Sandwich might be our best option and if Ben gets hurt by the usual shit team going for his legs (looking at you Kansas City and Cleveland) then we will be fucked as usual in the last month of the season. Too bad the league doesn't protect athletic qb's...

Spending resources on a backup quarterback when you have a clearly excellent number one that the offense relies on is fucking moronic. There is no backup in the league (and lots of starters) who would not be able to win with that Steelers offense. If you lose Ben the season is over. Why waste resources on a guy you know can't win. Unless you can sign One of the eight or nine other players who are roughly as good as him to backup, what's the point?

Draft and pray!

Sanjuro

Ravens are fools. I was serious about getting Alex Smith. He is a pretty similar quarterback and would fit their system. Giving them the flexibility to spend more on the defense the are so well known for, which is falling apart starting next season.

Ravens are fools. I was serious about getting Alex Smith. He is a pretty similar quarterback and would fit their system. Giving them the flexibility to spend more on the defense the are so well known for, which is falling apart starting next season.

There is no way Smith could operate Flacco his patented 'Fucking chucking it to Smith 69 yards deep and hope for the best'-offense.

Sanjuro

There is no way Smith could operate Flacco his patented 'Fucking chucking it to Smith 69 yards deep and hope for the best'-offense.

I don't think Flacco is very good deep. He has a better arm, but there is a reason Flacco is making those passes.

A: He has probably the best receiving core in the game.

Got to see my brother-in-law this weekend (Chiefs fan) and he was incredibly excited about the Alex Smith deal. I was trying not to rain on his parade too much but he was super optimistic about it, as in "Chiefs SB win in 3 years" optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex Smith isn't the starting QB for the Chiefs in 3 years but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

squicken

Both take lots of sacks, but not really similar imo. Alex has a below average arm while Flacco has one of the best. Alex is more athletic and more accurate on short throws, but Flacco isn't really that kind of QB. If you are going to run a fuck it I'm going deep offense, which the Ravens do, Flacco is a much better fit than Alex.

There's lots of talk that Alex is a bad fit for KC, since read likes to go vertical even though he is ostensibly a WCO guy

Sanjuro

Both take lots of sacks, but not really similar imo. Alex has a below average arm while Flacco has one of the best. Alex is more athletic and more accurate on short throws, but Flacco isn't really that kind of QB. If you are going to run a fuck it I'm going deep offense, which the Ravens do, Flacco is a much better fit than Alex.

There's lots of talk that Alex is a bad fit for KC, since read likes to go vertical even though he is ostensibly a WCO guy

Flacco has well above average receivers.

They both are game managing quarterbacks. Don't make mistakes, move the ball. Same shit.

I don't think Flacco is very good deep. He has a better arm, but there is a reason Flacco is making those passes.

A: He has probably the best receiving core in the game.

I agree that Smith is one of the best deep threats in the game, and has the ability to compensate for shitty throws, but Flacco is made for that offense with his arm. Not a whole lot finesse to it, I think Smith wouldn't be able to be successful there.

It's also gonna be interesting to see how Flacco would deal with losing Boldin, since Joe heavily relies on him going and getting the ball instead of delivering it to him.

Got to see my brother-in-law this weekend (Chiefs fan) and he was incredibly excited about the Alex Smith deal. I was trying not to rain on his parade too much but he was super optimistic about it, as in "Chiefs SB win in 3 years" optimistic. I wouldn't be surprised if Alex Smith isn't the starting QB for the Chiefs in 3 years but I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Is your wife the only smart one in the family ;)?

eznark

Banned
You didn't say they were top five, you said they were the best. I think you could make an argument for them having a top receiving corps, but they aren't in the discussion for best in football.

They both are game managing quarterbacks. Don't make mistakes, move the ball. Same shit.

This assumes that Smith will be just as good without Harboner's nightly paddling's. John is a god fearing family man not a sadomasichistic domineering gimp beater like Jim. I just don't think Smith would be able to be properly humiliated in Baltimore to be successful. I'm thinking a bear like Reid might do the trick though.

Is your wife the only smart one in the family ;)?
Quite possibly... my father-in-law is a pretty down to earth Packers fan though, minus the "Packer Room" I suppose. I had to sleep in this over the weekend:

pack.jpg

Talon

It's pretty good. There was a percentage out there for drops out of total attempts, quite a few of the Ravens were right up there at the top. I don't think it's wrong to say they are within say the top five.

Not really. :jnc
Since when does "best" mean "within say the top five?"

Sanjuro

You didn't say they were top five, you said they were the best. I think you could make an argument for them having a top receiving corps, but they aren't in the discussion for best in football.

My error. Thought I said one of the best. I mean, my team is the Patriots.

It's pretty good. There was a percentage out there for drops out of total attempts, quite a few of the Ravens were right up there at the top. I don't think it's wrong to say they are within say the top five.

Boldin might just be the best WR for the playoffs nowadays, catching everything within 10 feet of him and like I said, Smith is the best pure deep threat, and not only with the catches he does make, but also with him taking away like 5 INTs already by becoming a DB on shitty throws. Add a developing Jacoby Jones, Pitta and Dickerson both average TEs and Ray Rice out of the backfield and Flacco has a nice unit around him.

Too bad for him he'll lose half of it because of his new contract.

squicken

I actually agree with you a bit on their WRs. They aren't they best in the league. But they are all a very good fit for what the Ravens do. How many players go deep and can fight for contested deep balls the way Torrey Smith does? Not the best route runner, but he adjusts to under-thrown passes incredibly well. He also has terrifying deep speed which opens things up for Pitta and Boldin, who both are also very good at intermediate routes and adjusting to deep and off target throws

It is a very well constructed group that fits with what the QB does well, and helps with what he doesn't

bionic77

Spending resources on a backup quarterback when you have a clearly excellent number one that the offense relies on is fucking moronic. There is no backup in the league (and lots of starters) who would not be able to win with that Steelers offense. If you lose Ben the season is over. Why waste resources on a guy you know can't win. Unless you can sign One of the eight or nine other players who are roughly as good as him to backup, what's the point?

Draft and pray!
The problem is that we suck serious dick at drafting and coaching qb's. We just got lucky with Ben.

Also praying has not helped to this point. Might have to step it up and go straight up sacrifice!

Patriot fans!

The Ravens have a good receiving core, but you have to be badly coached to give up those bombs from Flacco. The blueprint has been around for awhile on how to slow him down. All he can do is screens and deep bombs. Take away the bombs and stop Ray Rice and make Flacco dink and dunk. To this point he has been unable to do it. No idea how the Niners, Pats and everyone else was letting the Ravens receivers get behind them. Do they not watch film of how people stopped them? How hard is it to coach your secondary to play the deep ball and not get a PI on the underthrown ball?

eznark

Banned
Falcons have the most complete receiving corps in my opinion as long as you include TG. The only weakness would be shallow-to-mid route running but Gonzalez forces defenses to defend that space anyway.

How the fuck did that post not get a :bfb reply?

It was hyperbole, not stupidity. Ravens have really good receivers, especially for Flacco's game. They can take the top off of the defense with speed and can also make fantastic contested catches. If Jeff Blake had these receivers he might still be in the league!

Sanjuro

Who is the best WR group?

Unlike the Ravens, Brady makes our core better.

Patriot fans!

The Ravens have a good receiving core, but you have to be badly coached to give up those bombs from Flacco. The blueprint has been around for awhile on how to slow him down. All he can do is screens and deep bombs. Take away the bombs and stop Ray Rice and make Flacco dink and dunk. To this point he has been unable to do it. No idea how the Niners, Pats and everyone else was letting the Ravens receivers get behind them. Do they not watch film of how people stopped them? How hard is it to coach your secondary to play the deep ball and not get a PI on the underthrown ball?

I'm not being that crazy as people think. Everyone is sharing the same opinion. Didn't mean to say "THE" best.

You must think Desean Jackson is the best WR then. He had zero drops last year!

Remember when Yankee said the Eagle's had the best receiving corps? That was funny stuff.

Yeah that didnt work out at all. Jackson and Maclin are both good, but not great, and Avant actually is average at best, Celek is good, and I was also factoring Shady into that. You are right thought, they havent come close to being a top group.

Talon

Yeah that didnt work out at all. Jackson and Maclin are both good, but not great, and Avant actually is average at best, Celek is good, and I was also factoring Shady into that. You are right thought, they havent come close to being a top group.
The Eagles receivers are all on the Way Better in Madden list.

Top Bottom