• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Milchjon

How can you not be a Flacco fan after reading that?

For real, it's kinda hard to hate the guy.

nfl_joefts_300.jpg

Striker

Do Giants fans want Bennett back? Is he worse or better than Cook? I just don't want Dustin Keller. Schotty doesn't get to build Jests West
I'd love Bennett back, but now if he's trying to get $2.5-3 million a year, because they cannot afford that with a big hole at DT and needing to re-sign Cruz and/or Nicks. Cook is a delight to watch though, but he's not a great fit in all schemes. He is likely to cost much more than Bennett, too.

As it seems now Giants will probably mangle with low tier FA's like Anthony Fasano to pair up with 2nd year guy Adrien Robinson. They still have Bear Pascoe and will probably take a TE in the draft, as well.

You Americans and your sugar with tea.

McDonalds tea is so sweet it hurts my teeth. I have to get it unsweetened and then add sugar.

Probably asked for some sweetner at the window. The sweet tea is disgusting. Might as well drink sugar water.
I don't like it so sweet that the sugar is the only thing you taste (I try to avoid "southern" style sweet tea) but I can't stand it unsweetened. Coffee on the other hand is best black.

McDonald's sweet tea is great.

WedgeX

Banned
Are we talking about iced tea or good ol' hot tea?

Dude is Hank Hill in shoulder pads. I tell u what.

But he didn't break his ankle getting his team to the Super Bowl. Only to have Jimmy boy blame him for losing the Super Bowl decades from now.

Jennings should get pretty much the identical contract I imagine.
If Hakeem stays healthy and has another big year in 2013, it's the type of contract he should see from the Giants as well.

I suppose having a number of good players isn't a bad thing for Reese, but he has a clear #1 in Hakeem who has had health issues in every season he's played.

He has a slot receiver that's put up big production in two season and who wants to be payed like a #1 and who hasn't missed a game since he became a starter.

Which do you pay? It's doubtful the Giants are able to dump 10-11 million per on both. Cruz is a Giant in 2013 whether he likes it or not unless some team is willing to pay him the 10/yr he wants and give up a first. The hope has to be that either someone else steps at the slot position making Cruz expendable or that someone like Reuben Randle can show he's a clear #1 and make Hakeem expendable.

Glad I'm not an NFL GM...

EDIT: Number breakdown for Bowe:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/bowe-moves-into-top-three-with-56-million-deal/

1. $15 million signing bonus.

2. $750,000 fully-guaranteed base salary in 2013.

3. $250,000 workout bonus in each year of the contract.

4. $8.75 million base salary in 2014, $4.25 million of which is fully guaranteed now and $4.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. The $4.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year.

5. $10.75 million base salary in 2015. $1.5 million is guaranteed for injury now, and it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 (not 2015) league year.

6. $9.75 million base salary in 2016.

7. $9.75 million base salary in 2017.

bionic77

How can you not be a Flacco fan after reading that?
As a fan I would expect my star qb to take better care of himself.

I used to be one of his bigger fans but I think I am starting to hate him. Because of him Ray Lewis got to go out a champion. I was always hoping he left the game in chains.

eznark

Banned
That was the number he made public. I imagine he was hoping for $10m or so.

4. $8.75 million base salary in 2014, $4.25 million of which is fully guaranteed now and $4.5 million of which is guaranteed for injury only now. The $4.5 million becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 league year.

5. $10.75 million base salary in 2015. $1.5 million is guaranteed for injury now, and it becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2014 (not 2015) league year.

Quite a favorable deal for a wide out. There is no way Jennings will get those same guarantees. Guaranteed $20m if he makes the roster next season. That's ballsy. Bowe seems like the kind of guy who will Antonio Freeman it starting the 4th day of next season.

squicken

Bowe and Hartline both over-payed. No way Rams will give that to Amendola. Guessing they will address OT in FA and WR in draft

eznark

Banned
Hartline's may be all incentives, who knows. Bowe was a big overpay.

I actually think it'd be hilarious if Greg Jennings didn't end up in Miami and was exiled to Believeland instead.

What could you possibly have against Greg Jennings??

Just saw this run across twitter. Just a quick flash of stats. There are obviously variables like the level of QB play Bowe has had to deal with by comparison, as well as the fact that Nicks/Cruz share the field while Bowe has almost nothing across from him (I'm sure there are more we could come up with) but just a general gauge of market value on pure numbers production:

Last 3 yrs for Bowe: 45 gms, 212 rec, 3122 yds, 23 TD
Last 3 yrs for Hakeem Nicks: 41 gms 208 rec, 2936 yds, 21 TD
Last 2 yrs for Victor Cruz: 30 gms, 168 rec, 2628 yds, 19 TDs

I actually think it'd be hilarious if Greg Jennings didn't end up in Miami and was exiled to Believeland instead.
I have no idea how credible Bob McGinn is but he tweeted this a week or two ago:

Things can always change, but I've been told that #Dolphins' Joe Philbin isn't a huge fan of Greg Jennings as a player. Needs a WR but ...
If that's to be believed it doesn't look promising. If they don't take a WR in FA I really hope they go for one very early in the draft (as in, first or second pick).

squicken

Just saw this run across twitter. Just a quick flash of stats. There are obviously variables like the level of QB play Bowe has had to deal with comparison, as well as the fact that Nicks/Cruz share the field while Bowe has almost nothing across from him (I'm sure there are more we could come up with) but just a general gauge of market value on pure numbers production:

Last 3 yrs for Bowe: 45 gms, 212 rec, 3122 yds, 23 TD
Last 3 yrs for Hakeem Nicks: 41 gms 208 rec, 2936 yds, 21 TD
Last 2 yrs for Victor Cruz: 30 gms, 168 rec, 2628 yds, 19 TDs

it's hard to compare Bowe's stats to anyone because of how bad the quarterback situation was. Giants should tender Cruz and sign Nicks imo

Cagey

Banned
If Hakeem stays healthy and has another big year in 2013, it's the type of contract he should see from the Giants as well.

I suppose having a number of good players isn't a bad thing for Reese, but he has a clear #1 in Hakeem who has had health issues in every season he's played.

He has a slot receiver that's put up big production in two season and who wants to be payed like a #1 and who hasn't missed a game since he became a starter.

Which do you pay? It's doubtful the Giants are able to dump 10-11 million per on both. Cruz is a Giant in 2013 whether he likes it or not unless some team is willing to pay him the 10/yr he wants and give up a first. The hope has to be that either someone else steps at the slot position making Cruz expendable or that someone like Reuben Randle can show he's a clear #1 and make Hakeem expendable.

Glad I'm not an NFL GM...

EDIT: Number breakdown for Bowe:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/05/bowe-moves-into-top-three-with-56-million-deal/

It's easier to replace Nicks.

For me, the number of oversized second contracts on this roster (Webster, Rolle, Snee, Diehl) are the impediment to getting our WR situation worked out.

For the Giants, I think it's a roster construction philosophy that heavy investment dollar-wise at the WR position isn't wise. For a team without a QB, sure. For a team with one, I don't think I agree. Not in today's NFL.

For me, the number of oversized second contracts on this roster (Webster, Rolle, Snee, Diehl) are the impediment to getting our WR situation worked out.
Most of which should be sorted out by next season as I doubt any of those 4 are on the roster for the money they are due. Rolle is likely the next cap casualty.

Wrayfield

Not sure they are looking for an FA upgrade for this position now. Really depends on their draft plans. Wouldn't mind stocking up on receivers a la Packers. Sign Jennings, draft a speedster in the 1st round, hope Tannehill doesn't get killed in the pocket chucking them deep balls out there.

Cagey

Banned
Most of which should be sorted out by next season as I doubt any of those 4 are on the roster for the money they are due. Rolle is likely the next cap casualty.

Agreed, though it's disconcerting David Diehl is a thing that still exists on an NFL roster. Getting to 2014 offseason with neither Cruz or Nicks inked would undoubtedly mean one walks. We should aim to avoid that scenario.

Striker

If either Diehl or Webster go into the season with their current cap number I will be pissed off. But I am hoping something occurs after FA begins and they either accept paycuts or both are released. Sign a low vet FA corner to adjust into the starting role and compete with T2 and Hosley. We saw how easy it was to replace Diehl by signing a journeyman like Locklear, too bad he got injured, though.

Got some movie watching out of the way.

Argo was good to great. Best picture? Don't know but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

The Master had some amazing performances and was impeccably shot but oh boy did it bore me to tears. I usually love PTA's stuff, too.:(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Not sure they are looking for an FA upgrade for this position now. Really depends on their draft plans. Wouldn't mind stocking up on receivers a la Packers. Sign Jennings, draft a speedster in the 1st round, hope Tannehill doesn't get killed in the pocket chucking them deep balls out there.

Wanna stack up on receivers? Draft them in the 2nd and 3rd round. There's a lot of value at that position in those rounds. Grab a pass rusher in the first round instead.

Wrayfield

Wanna stack up on receivers? Draft them in the 2nd and 3rd round. There's a lot of value at that position in those rounds. Grab a pass rusher in the first round instead.

It worked for your team. If you have the right talent evaluators, I couldn't agree more.

Top Bottom