• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

They will give him extension to reduce the cap hit in 2016, or he will be cut...

That's the thing: they can't cut him. He'd be $26m in dead money. It's why giant signing bonuses and restructures are stupid. Players gain additional leverage b/c they cost extra money to cut. Somehow Flacco will have even more leverage then than he did coming off a Super Bowl win. He is their QB for a long time unless he just falls off a cliff

BigAT

Future give us the scoop on Canty.

I'd probably rather have Canty but Jenkins knows the system and would be cheaper so it's just odd is all.

Played DE in the 3-4 of Dallas before coming to New York and playing DT in their 4-3 system. I imagine he would move back to DE with Green Bay. He's good when he's out there, but he has had some injury issues recently. Started the season on the PUP last year due to knee surgery, which even when he came back it looked like he might not have fully recovered from.

jakncoke

Banned
Chris Wesseling ‏@ChrisWesseling
Since 2009, no WR has more 40-yard catches (27) or 40-yard TDs (16) than Mike Wallace. He's going to be a rich man. Huge loss for Steelers.

That's a lot of big plays to replace. Probably not good though and easily replaced by Sanders or Brown in that system

edit

Isn't that match supposed to symbolize everything that is wrong with European soccer?

Is it really that hard to find a fast guy that runs only screens and vertical routes?

Future give us the scoop on Canty.

I'd probably rather have Canty but Jenkins knows the system and would be cheaper so it's just odd is all.
Big covered most of it. He's played the 3-4 DE in Dallas so he's certainly familiar. Played well there and when healthy, he played very well as a 4-3 3-Tech. The health issues are a concern. Spent most of 2009 as an ineffective body due to injuries. 2010 and 2011 were top quality years. 2012, back to the injury well...

Played DE in the 3-4 of Dallas before coming to New York and playing DT in their 4-3 system. I imagine he would move back to DE with Green Bay. He's good when he's out there, but he has had some injury issues recently. Started the season on the PUP last year due to knee surgery, which even when he came back it looked like he might not have fully recovered from.
Big covered most of it. He's played the 3-4 DE in Dallas so he's certainly familiar. Played well there and when healthy, he played very well as a 4-3 3-Tech. The health issues are a concern. Spent most of 2009 as an ineffective body due to injuries. 2010 and 2011 were top quality years. 2012, back to the injury well...
You told me this before, I think.

Interesting Ted's bringing him in then despite the injuries.

But as I said he's younger. The defense needs some toughness so he'd be a good pickup.

eznark

Banned
You told me this before, I think.

Interesting Ted's bringing him in then despite the injuries.

But as I said he's younger. The defense needs some toughness so he'd be a good pickup.

I think they are trying to find guys that can DL on passing downs when they go to a 2-4-5 look or on their psycho package. Canty is more athletic than Raji so he'd be a pretty good fit there potentially. He should also be cheaper than the other options given his injury history. I wouldn't say interest in him precludes interest in others, however.

squicken

More on harmful restructures

Brisiel converted $3,000,000 of his former $4,350,000 base salary into a guaranteed roster bonus, to be paid after the start of the new league year. While this lowered Brisiel’s 2013 cap number to $2,810,000 from $5,060,000, a savings of $2,250,000, it also added $750,000 to each of his remaining cap hits. Though this got the Raiders roughly $1,500,000 under the cap, it’s a seemingly strange move by General Manager Reggie McKenzie considering Brisiel’s notoriety of being a ZBS fit, the system the Raiders are moving away from, and Brisiel’s perhaps injury influenced poor performance in 2012.

The Raiders would have only been on the hook for $2,240,000 in dead money had they severed ties with Brisiel this offseason, and now if they deem him a poor fit going forward, would be on the hook for $3,930,000 in dead money after the season.

And Al Davis offered to make hue Jackson GM?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/e...s-al-davis-offered-him-raiders-gm-job-in-2009

jakncoke

Banned
Rams got Chris Givens in the 4th and he had 5 or 6 catches over 50 yards. But a couple of those were on slants (slants slants slants) that broke long

Sam Bradford is a bad qb though, I believe we could have anyone fast run straight and have Ben fuck it going deep with relatively the same success as Mike Wallace. I dont know who ever wrote that also didnt think to account for we're against the salary cap so signing a guy who didnt give a single fuck last year to 50 million or whatever deal is insanely dumb and only bad teams make those types of moves.

mr2xxx

Banned
They backloaded Flaccos contract like a mutha. Ravens better hope Flacco becomes elite, if not then they better start hitting it out the park in the draft.

squicken

If the Steelers need another WR who runs real fast in a straight line, went to UT, comes cheap, and drops passes, they can draft Goodwin

I still believe he can be a pretty good Qb maybe even Elite, i would of been happy with him being the Browns qb.....I still believe!

You are a smart man, BG. Holmgren tried to trade for him, though that's not a huge endorsement anymore ha

Someone mentioned on Twitter that Courtney Brown also ran a 4.5 and was even heavier, so that's not really a big deal for DL

jakncoke

Banned
If the Steelers need another WR who runs real fast in a straight line, went to UT, comes cheap, and drops passes, they can draft Goodwin

You are a smart man, BG. Holmgren tried to trade for him, though that's not a huge endorsement anymore ha

Someone mentioned on Twitter that Courtney Brown also ran a 4.5 and was even heavier, so that's not really a big deal for DL

One thing to note Haley runs more of a dink and dunk offense, Arians like to air that bitch out often. So thats another thing to consider when examining how big a loss Mike Wallace will be.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Boner rising

Hyper_Erection_Mode._From_Darling_076ca8_4032383.gif

squicken

Jay Gruden on Andy Dalton

“And obviously he needs to get better with his deep ball accuracy and touch, and there’s not really one part of his game that he can’t really improve upon. He has to get better in every phase — scramble ability, foot quickness, accuracy, deep accuracy, short, anticipation,” Gruden said in an interview with WLW, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “He’s got a long way to go. He’s done some great things for a second-year quarterback, won a lot of games and thrown some good touchdown passes, but we feel like he has not come close to his potential. That’s our job to get it out of him. And he knows he’s gotta play better, and we all do.”

Quikies83

Hard to ball when you're not on roids

@NFL_RealUpdates: Former #Chargers first round pick LB/DE Shawne Merriman has announced his retirement from the NFL at age 28.

Fuck that asshole. Guy really fucked up Priest Holmes' career.

I think they are trying to find guys that can DL on passing downs when they go to a 2-4-5 look or on their psycho package. Canty is more athletic than Raji so he'd be a pretty good fit there potentially. He should also be cheaper than the other options given his injury history. I wouldn't say interest in him precludes interest in others, however.
Right but they haven't even taken a look at Jenkins.

First guy I've heard them look at is Canty.

Milchjon

Ed Reed thinks the Pats would've won 2 more SBs with him...

Also, I know I should be grateful for the Pats being rational/smart about this, but I'm still kinda pissed about them lowballing Vollmer and Welker.

Talon

Also, I know I should be grateful for the Pats being rational/smart about this, but I'm still kinda pissed about them lowballing Vollmer and Welker.
Well, the Pats haven't won the SB since Rodney Harrison stopped suiting up in the backfield.

2013: Ravens - Reed
2012: Giants - I am not a fan of Rolle so pass
2011: Packers - Collins :*(
2010: Saints - Sharper (had a hell of a year but not much of an impact on the game that I recall)
2009: Steelers - Troy

Tamanon

Banned
Hard to ball when you're not on roids

@NFL_RealUpdates: Former #Chargers first round pick LB/DE Shawne Merriman has announced his retirement from the NFL at age 28.

Fuck that asshole. Guy really fucked up Priest Holmes' career.

He never got over MoJo knocking the steroids out of him.

squicken

Think Welker will be back. Vollmer I dunno. If they don't try and bring him back, like Jake Long, it probably means his medicals aren't so hot

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
We can be cancer bros.

"I don't trust you and your internet lies, poster. So I will argue with my poorly educated and even more poorly articulated nonsense."

I'm just shocked by the Dictator Defense Force. Ironic praising a guy who repressed civil liberties by using that freedom of speech!

Damn hope Merriman has a good rest of life if that dosent sound wierd, I remb my first or second year of fantasy I tried to draft him cause I thought no one knew about him.

bionic77

FMT, your avatar looks so good. Makes me smile every time. A big, slack-jawed, toothy Ray Lewis smile, like the he's sporting there.
Leave my bro alone you thug.

First you guys took his teams Superbowl. At least leave FMT with his dignity (look it up, this is not a word used very often by Ravens, who will eat anything).

FMT stay strong. Your day is coming. Pretty soon the Niners will be total garbage and rob some good team of a Superbowl.

Well, the Pats haven't won the SB since Rodney Harrison stopped suiting up in the backfield.

2013: Ravens - Reed
2012: Giants - I am not a fan of Rolle so pass
2011: Packers - Collins :*(
2010: Saints - Sharper (had a hell of a year but not much of an impact on the game that I recall)
2009: Steelers - Troy

You could have said Kenny Phillips:) He's more comparable to Reed than Rolle who played slot corner and SS more than FS.

That's the thing: they can't cut him. He'd be $26m in dead money. It's why giant signing bonuses and restructures are stupid. Players gain additional leverage b/c they cost extra money to cut. Somehow Flacco will have even more leverage then than he did coming off a Super Bowl win. He is their QB for a long time unless he just falls off a cliff

He's "only" 13 million in dead money. Yes, it would hurt like hell to cut him, but if he is worthy of being cut in 3 years, then the Ravens will bite the bullet and suck for a year.

Top Bottom