• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Well I think it's that time of year again bros.

I'm going to start collecting names for people that want to participate in the 2013 GAF NFL MOCK DRAFT. I'll do it like last year: I won't assume you're in unless you tell me. FA starts on March 12 so to make sure nobody gets fucked by losing picks we'll wait until after that to start, but I want to get the names in ASAP.

Rules are just like last year - It should be considered a consensus pick - team members should collaborate to choose someone instead of one just blurting out their pick. I'll be less patient in waiting; say, four hours selection time per team. You don't make the time, you get skipped. No trades - we're not doing a full 7 round mock so there's nothing of value to trade. Just pick who you believe your team will pick in your spot.

Only doing 1 round this year - every year people ask for 2 rounds and every year the second round dies 10 picks in, with Futurevoid and LJ providing 9 of them.

I'm in for Raider Nation.

Novid

Banned
Gaf - > Internet - > SI Cover -> Gaf?

BErQKeCCcAAOb231.jpg

I know we joke about dark lord brady but this...

brentech

GRRM, the notorious Giants/Jets fan has this to say about Eli.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mo...game-of-thrones-sports-podcast/#ixzz2MmjLRd00

SI.com: For you the Starks are heroes, and you told us a couple of months ago that they would be the NFL equivalent of the Giants since the Giants are your team. If we extrapolate this, who is Eli Manning in your universe?

Martin: Eli Manning would probably be someone like Loras Tyrell, the Knight of Flowers, who has a bigger brother, Lord Garlan Tyrell, who is an even better swordsman than he is (laughs). So you have that brotherhood relationship there.

I'm going to take this further and show some of the more humorous bits:
SI.com: Is there a sports team that is parallel to the Lannisters or the Targaryens?
Martin: Being a fan of the Giants and also the Jets, the two teams that I hate of course are the Dallas Cowboys in the NFC and the Patriots in the AFC. So I tend to identify them with the villains in some cases. These are both very powerful institutions, very rich institutions as The Lannisters are rich. I think the Cowboys are the most valuable franchise in the NFL and the Patriots are up there, too. They have very powerful owners and they exercise a lot of power in the league. Both Robert Kraft and Jerry Jones carry a lot of sway. Even the Commissioner does not disregard them lightly. And they use their power for ill!

SI.com: Am I wrong to see Bill Belichick as a Lannister?
Martin: I call him Evil Little Bill on my blog so in some ways he might be worse than a Lannister. Maybe he's a Greyjoy.
So, Belichick is a Drowned Man, and would presumably sell his son for a SB win.

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora
Broncos like pass rusher Elvis Dumervil, but not at $12M/year. They are seeking a lower deal, and situation could end up with his release...

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora
Broncos paying Manning $20M/year, Bailey is around $10M, and Von Miller will be getting paid huge soon enough.

squicken

If they trade him they might as well trade everyone they have for picks.

You aren't going to the playoffs next year, and he will for certain walk. Now that mean you get a 3rd round compensatory pick, but what's the reason to keep him around? Think he's going to be on his best behavior on a bad team?

ChanHuk

Banned
I do that weekly, but I've said too much lol

I actually wonder if Hue wouldn't have done a better job than Reggie though

Hue already shown that he's a shitty GM with the Palmer trade. Reggie is actually doing a pretty decent job for the situation he inherited. No draft picks, Al Davis signature contracts, and a thin roster. This team will be in a much better situation in 2014. I'm predicting 5-6 wins this season.

The Sideline View's Adam Caplan expects the Browns to pursue one of Chase Daniel, Brian Hoyer and Matt Moore in free agency.
The Browns are serious about putting heat on 29-year-old sophomore Brandon Weeden, and any of Daniel, Hoyer or Moore would have a legit shot at beating him out in camp. The only player with any real experience, Moore's odds would obviously be the strongest, but Daniel's reputation has steadily grown as he's backed up Drew Brees. Hoyer is a restricted free agent, but shouldn't draw an imposing tender.

Hue already shown that he's a shitty GM with the Palmer trade. Reggie is actually doing a pretty decent job for the situation he inherited. No draft picks, Al Davis signature contracts, and a thin roster. This team will be in a much better situation in 2014. I'm predicting 5-6 wins this season.

Reggie hasn't won me over yet, neither has Allen as a coach. But yeah Hue messed up with the Palmer trade, still I think he would have taken the initiative more and gotten things done.

I think Reggie needs help managing the cap and player contracts. I believe in him as a scout, but I don't think he's shown himself to be a great or even good GM thus far. That's why I was hoping the rumors about Holmgren were true.

Wes

venison crêpe

I'm going to start collecting names for people that want to participate in the 2013 GAF NFL MOCK DRAFT. I'll do it like last year: I won't assume you're in unless you tell me. FA starts on March 12 so to make sure nobody gets fucked by losing picks we'll wait until after that to start, but I want to get the names in ASAP.

Rules are just like last year - It should be considered a consensus pick - team members should collaborate to choose someone instead of one just blurting out their pick. I'll be less patient in waiting; say, four hours selection time per team. You don't make the time, you get skipped. No trades - we're not doing a full 7 round mock so there's nothing of value to trade. Just pick who you believe your team will pick in your spot.

Only doing 1 round this year - every year people ask for 2 rounds and every year the second round dies 10 picks in, with Futurevoid and LJ providing 9 of them.

I volunteer to take on board all of what the Browns rabble say then pick what I think is the best instead.

ChanHuk

Banned
Reggie hasn't won me over yet, neither has Allen as a coach. But yeah Hue messed up with the Palmer trade, still I think he would have taken the initiative more and gotten things done.

I think Reggie needs help managing the cap and player contracts. I believe in him as a scout, but I don't think he's shown himself to be a great or even good GM thus far. That's why I was hoping the rumors about Holmgren were true.

He's done a great job managing the cap. The only thing really that raised an eyebrow was Branch's contract. Otherwise Reggie has said it himself, they're in a complete rebuild mode. He's gotten rid of a lot of Al's asinine scholarships.

squicken

Caplan is saying that Chase Daniel has added a lot of arm strength since getting to the Saints, like Brees did, and is going to draw interest around the league

--

Rams cut Wayne hunter

Mike Sando, ESPN.com ‏@espn_nfcwest
Wayne Hunter one of 16 players to start on Rams' OL over past two seasons. 49ers have had seven.

Tom Penny

This whole Welker thing. As long as they get a legit outside WR I don't care if he gone. They are going to move Hernandez around and use him like a WR and run 3 TE sets with Ballard, Him and Gronk. Bank on it.

Couple of Stevie Johnson things

-Janoris Jenkins, echoing Revis or Sherman, said Stevie was the hardest guy he had to cover. But said he ran "cornflake routes". I have no idea what that means

-Stevie is trying to recruit people to BUF. Jennings told him he wants to play where it's warm, and Bowe re-signed, so now he wants Brandon Gibson. Quite the step down

I love Stevie, great guy to watch play.

I'm going to start collecting names for people that want to participate in the 2013 GAF NFL MOCK DRAFT. I'll do it like last year: I won't assume you're in unless you tell me. FA starts on March 12 so to make sure nobody gets fucked by losing picks we'll wait until after that to start, but I want to get the names in ASAP..

I'm in for the Pats. Gonna rock this shit again like last year PatsGAF

He's done a great job managing the cap. The only thing really that raised an eyebrow was Branch's contract. Otherwise Reggie has said it himself, they're in a complete rebuild mode. He's gotten rid of a lot of Al's asinine scholarships.

Eh, I'd disagree with you there, the Brisiel restructure made no sense (and was too much to begin with) most recently. Palmers contract restructure last year was shortsighted and now they gotta try and do it again. DHB, Kelly and Huff all have huge hits this year and need to restructure. He took a big cap penalty hit by cutting Routt last year when it would have made more sense and cost less to do it this year and would have given us a better secondary than we had. Still no idea what they're doing with McClain, but he's got a big cap number this year as well. It's a mess and we're still in pretty bad shape with a lot of free agents that we need to return next year.

I'm also still not a fan of the Allen hire and giving him too much power as a first time coach, he should have vetoed some of his decisions (like fuckin Knapp) and been kept on a shorter leash. Fassel should have been retained along with some others on the coaching staff like Wiz.

ChanHuk

Banned
Brisel is gonna either be traded or used as our pulling guard this season. Carlisle did it under Hue in a PBS. Huff has restructured, Palmer is Hue's mess while DHB and Kelly are again under Al. As for Routt, he offered nothing but a cancer in the locker room. I have faith in Reggie, this is first real offseason I suppose. Allen was/is too green, but you had to look at the roster he had; his most moronic thing was Knapp.

Fox318

You aren't going to the playoffs next year, and he will for certain walk. Now that mean you get a 3rd round compensatory pick, but what's the reason to keep him around? Think he's going to be on his best behavior on a bad team?
I'm saying if they trade him they should trade everything they have and build for the long term future. They might as well fire Rex if they give up on Revis. Plan for a winning season in 2017. Tank this year and next year and trade Mangold, Cro, DBrick, and otherness. Cut or trade Holmes and make Mark Sanchez sit on the bench the rest of his jets career or trade him to a CFL team or the Mathematics hot dog eating contest.

TheFatOne

This whole Welker thing. As long as they get a legit outside WR I don't care if he gone. They are going to move Hernandez around and use him like a WR and run 3 TE sets with Ballard, Him and Gronk. Bank on it.

I feel the same way. I don't care if he stays or goes if they get a legit number 1.

ChanHuk

Banned
I'm saying if they trade him they should trade everything they have and build for the long term future. They might as well fire Rex if they give up on Revis. Plan for a winning season in 2017. Tank this year and next year and trade Mangold, Cro, DBrick, and otherness. Cut or trade Holmes and make Mark Sanchez sit on the bench the rest of his jets career or trade him to a CFL team or the Mathematics hot dog eating contest.

The Jets are just in denial of being in rebuild mode.

Tom Penny

I feel the same way. I don't care if he stays or goes if they get a legit number 1.

Problem is the market is thin. If they don't sign Welker they are going to try to 2 for 1 it with Amendola and Edleman and hope one can survive the season but they will be running the same offense. I want them to change it. It hasn't worked against more physical press type teams.

Top Bottom