• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Milchjon

Racist!

But seriously as one of those black men who can't swim just wasn't a priority. I can think of in my entire family (aunts/uncles/cousins/etc.) about 3 or 4 people who can swim.

The myth/rumour has always been because blacks seem to have more muscle mass they don't float as well so it's a bit tougher for us.

The NYT article mentions that.

Institutionalized racism was shored up by specious scholarship, like a 1969 report titled “The Negro and Learning to Swim: The Buoyancy Problem Related to Reported Biological Difference.”

Sounds more like a overall social/availability issue. I mean, even for white kids, the number of non-swimmers seems crazy high.

tmdorsey

Are you still trying not to reset at all?

Nope. When I lost like 3 units in one chapter, I had to reset. LOL. Plus I'm still learning and making some mistakes just by lack of knowledge. For example, I didn't know that both units of a paired unit turns end immediately if you decide to separate them. That eventually lead to their deaths in once instance.

Wrayfield

I decided to just Google it. Sounds crazy. Definitely worth the effort to try and change that situation.

We were sent to swimming lessons after some neighbours' kids drowned in a river. We were able to kinda floar and paddle in shallow water in lakes before but it's generally quite good to have proper lessons, especially if you go swimming in seas. 70%, man, that's a lot.

Also, it wasn't part of the curriculum in my German school, which grade did you have it?

Nope. When I lost like 3 units in one chapter, I had to reset. LOL. Plus I'm still learning and making some mistakes just by lack of knowledge. For example, I didn't know that both units of a paired unit turns end immediately if you decide to separate them. That eventually lead to their deaths in once instance.
It's good that you got over that hump, it'll be better for your sanity in the long run!

The NYT article mentions that.

Sounds more like a overall social/availability issue. I mean, even for white kids, the number of non-swimmers seems crazy high.

Why is it so important that Americans know how to swim? Seems a weird thing to take issue with. Just curious

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Racist!

But seriously as one of those black men who can't swim just wasn't a priority. I can think of in my entire family (aunts/uncles/cousins/etc.) about 3 or 4 people who can swim.

The myth/rumour has always been because blacks seem to have more muscle mass they don't float as well so it's a bit tougher for us.

Wait, KM is a black cat? I didn't know!

I actually thought it was an upbringing thing. Every black person in the 'burbs that I knew, knew how to swim. It's just that most black people don't live in the suburbs.

Milchjon

Why is it so important that Americans know how to swim? Seems a weird thing to take issue with. Just curious

Just genuine curiosity, no criticism intended. Because it's just such a natural part of growing up for Europeans to learn to swim, and for me and most of my friends it's a common recreational sport.

Also, it wasn't part of the curriculum in my German school, which grade did you have it?

I went to a Waldorf school, so I don't know how it compares to other schools, but I guess it was somewhere in 6th grade(So maybe not quite elementary school)? It's been a while.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Just genuine curiosity, no criticism intended. Because it's just such a natural part of growing up for Europeans to learn to swim, and for me and most of my friends it's a common recreational sport.

Yeah, but in America we play real sports. Sorry you think splashing about and kicking around a ball for zero points for hours on end is entertainment. Come to America where we just straight up kill shit for amusement and think the mark of manliness is how many brain injuries we've gotten while playing. Check out our national leaders! They've all played real, American sports growing up and look how smarter they are than your stupid kings and shit

I went to a Waldorf school,

Boston-Sunshine-Academny-Reports-Card.jpg

Milchjon

Yeah, but in America we play real sports. Sorry you think splashing about and kicking around a ball for zero points for hours on end is entertainment. Come to America where we just straight up kill shit for amusement and think the mark of manliness is how many brain injuries we've gotten while playing. Check out our national leaders! They've all played real, American sports growing up and look how smarter they are than your stupid kings and shit

I can straight up kill you in the pool though!

:jnc, yes indeed.

I want to emphasize that I still passed the normal German "Abitur" and actually did pretty well.

Plus, I can dance my name!

I know how to swim and so do most people in my area. IMO swimming is one of those things that everyone should know how to do. The earth is like 70% water.

Pools in school is weird. We didn't have one in my public school, or any school I knew of. Private had them. But in California, they all seem to have them. They have water polo teams.

Water Polo sucks. Treading water for long periods if time sounds fucking awful.

I know how to swim and so do most people in my area. IMO swimming is one of those things that everyone should know how to do. The earth is like 70% water.

If you live anywhere on/near a coast then it's obvious that you'd learn because you have the beach right by you and that's awesome. I agree with you personally since I'm on the East coast, but I can't blame people in middle America for not wanting or caring enough to learn. I happen to find swimming in a pool to be one of the more boring things you can do. The ocean is god-like though.

effzee

Apparently the Eagles and Texans were the first two teams to contact Douche Rosenhaus about RT Eric Winston as soon as he was released.

I would love for the Eagles to pick him up. If Peters is back to 100% he anchors the left side and our running game improves instantly. Winston at RT would be an improvement over everybody and more importantly this is Vick's blind side. Todd Herremans can slide back to G and we can have a pretty solid starting lineup.

Also frees us up from drafting Joeckel or Fisher at the #4 spot and opens the door to draft Jordan, Floyd, or Star. BPA defensive player at that pick.

Still why did the Chiefs release Winston? He has been solid and durable? Just to make room for Jockel?

If you live anywhere on/near a coast then it's obvious that you'd learn because you have the beach right by you and that's awesome. I agree with you personally since I'm on the East coast, but I can't blame people in middle America for not wanting or caring enough to learn. I happen to find swimming in a pool to be one of the more boring things you can do. The ocean is god-like though.

But they have rivers and lakes in the fly over states. Those are better than most of ocean imo. Less things to kill you usually.

effzee

MechDX summed it up.

The move caught me off guard only because the Chiefs aren't really up against the cap, and while you can do better than Winston, I didn't expect them to cut him outright.

Missed this post earlier. Sorry for asking the same question again.

Hmm questionable pass protection? Might not be a good look since he would be protecting Vick's blind side.

I assume Chiefs cut him because of the pass protection, which under Reid is more vital than run blocking, plus they plan on tacking Jockel or Fisher with the #1 overall pick so doesn't make sense to keep Winston around.

ChanHuk

Banned
Apparently the Eagles and Texans were the first two teams to contact Douche Rosenhaus about RT Eric Winston as soon as he was released.

I would love for the Eagles to pick him up. If Peters is back to 100% he anchors the left side and our running game improves instantly. Winston at RT would be an improvement over everybody and more importantly this is Vick's blind side. Todd Herremans can slide back to G and we can have a pretty solid starting lineup.

Also frees us up from drafting Joeckel or Fisher at the #4 spot and opens the door to draft Jordan, Floyd, or Star. BPA defensive player at that pick.

Still why did the Chiefs release Winston? He has been solid and durable? Just to make room for Jockel?

He can't pass protect and he's also a ZBS linemen when the Chiefs ran a PBS.

Webster took a pay cut and will remain a Giant for 2013. Salary is down to 4 million from 7.25 million.

Get Diehl a good pay cut and the cap situation is looking pretty good.

The ocean is god-like though.

The Atlantic Ocean is amazing. Long sandy composition beaches where you can walk out a quarter of a mile in lukewarm water up to your knees. You can spend all day there. Pacific sucks. Short, rocky deposition beaches, cut your feet on jagged rocks before you get eleven feet into the icy surf, even in July, then it drops too deep to walk. Get tied up in nasty kelp, bit to shit by beach bugs, and then there's the great whites. I don't give a fuck if almost no one gets attacked, they're there, and that's enough for me.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wait, KM is a black cat? I didn't know!

I actually thought it was an upbringing thing. Every black person in the 'burbs that I knew, knew how to swim. It's just that most black people don't live in the suburbs.

So you just assume I was some white cat eh? I can't even be mad you are a Packers fan this is understandable. I still love you though.

I also grew up in the suburbs so there goes that. :jnc

The Atlantic Ocean is amazing. Long sandy composition beaches where you can walk out a quarter of a mile in lukewarm water up to your knees. You can spend all day there. Pacific sucks. Short, rocky deposition beaches, cut your feet on jagged rocks before you get eleven feet into the icy surf, even in July, then it drops too deep to walk. Get tied up in nasty kelp, bit to shit by beach bugs, and then there's the great whites. I don't give a fuck if almost no one gets attacked, they're there, and that's enough for me.

The Pacific is huge, its just that Nor Cal doesn't have great beaches.

WedgeX

Banned
Age of Empires 2 is coming in HD with Steam support. I don't know if I even care which wide receivers Mayhew draft now.

Greg

Pools in school is weird. We didn't have one in my public school, or any school I knew of. Private had them. But in California, they all seem to have them. They have water polo teams.

Water Polo sucks. Treading water for long periods if time sounds fucking awful.
We didn't have one. And I can't swim.

Cagey

Banned
Webster took a pay cut and will remain a Giant for 2013. Salary is down to 4 million from 7.25 million.

Get Diehl a good pay cut and the cap situation is looking pretty good.

I wouldn't pay Diehl the vet minimum because of the potential for Coughlin to play him. He's negative value.

I wouldn't pay Diehl the vet minimum because of the potential for Coughlin to play him. He's negative value.
We have no depth at tackle or guard. Diehl plays both (poorly). I know Giants fans don't want to hear this but he's likely staying on the roster. I just want to make sure it's for a far fewer amount than what he's due to get paid.

If he IS cut, it won't be until another veteran is brought in to take his place and I don't see that happening until free agency...

Vio-Lence

Banned
He was pretty ordinary the year before last.

Someone will definitely spend on him. Probably a perennial non-contender who knows they are hot garbage and use free agency as a way to excite fans and sell tickets because they know come September there is nothing left to be excited about.

So my money is on Minnesota, Chicago or the Jets.

Bears don't have any cap space after franchising Melton. I don't see how they can be spenders in free agency this year unless they cut Peppers and make another big move. I could see the Bears drafting Tavon Austin and hoping to develop a slot guy then wasting money on Welker.

20. Bears - cuevas, phd.,

Sign me up for the Chicago Bears friend, I can't have that drunkard be responsible for the draft pick, would be worse than Jerry Angelo.

Draxal

We have no depth at tackle or guard. Diehl plays both (poorly). I know Giants fans don't want to hear this but he's likely staying on the roster. I just want to make sure it's for a far fewer amount than what he's due to get paid.

If he IS cut, it won't be until another veteran is brought in to take his place and I don't see that happening until free agency...

It is also dependent on Boothe resigning as well (I'll let you do the Dottino twitter post). They could so still go after a Cooper/Warmack or one of the ots in the draft.

edit.

For the fire emblem fans here, the actual good dlc came out tonight (Infinite Regalia, and the new class for dudes).

eznark

Banned
Age of Empires 2 is coming in HD with Steam support. I don't know if I even care which wide receivers Mayhew draft now.

I am going to destroy you.

Bears don't have any cap space after franchising Melton. I don't see how they can be spenders in free agency this year unless they cut Peppers and make another big move. I could see the Bears drafting Tavon Austin and hoping to develop a slot guy then wasting money on Welker.

I guess you missed the joke.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

<3 AoE2. I'm getting a gaming laptop next week and can't wait to hit up Steam.

First game I'll buy along with my laptop is Civilization V. Good God I can't wait to lock myself in a room for a 10 hour Civ marathon.

Top Bottom