• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

It's so hard to find a good coverage safety. Everything I see on FA safeties is "good in the box must play downhill". Ed Reed is the only decent guy in coverage and he's 900.

Thought it was obvious Justin was hurt and not really functional. You guys had a great run of health, but the lack of depth got exposed. People keep talking about you guys bundling picks to move up, but you really need to start developing replacements to some of these guys

As for the coverage issues, you know my thoughts on Fangio. I think the talent has hid his flaws

we had good depth to start the season at the defensive positions. haralson is a starting caliber olb, out for the year. we had dobbs who is actually a pretty good defensive lineman, out for the year (injured in the 2nd rams game i think). RJF isn't bad for depth but no justin smith. we need to have a better d-line rotation is what we need. all our starters play like 95% of the snaps and it's just too much

we had good depth to start the season at the defensive positions. haralson is a starting caliber olb, out for the year. we had dobbs who is actually a pretty good defensive lineman, out for the year (injured in the 2nd rams game i think). RJF isn't bad for depth but no justin smith. we need to have a better d-line rotation is what we need. all our starters play like 95% of the snaps and it's just too much

Im so glad we drafted Harrison Smith.

PFF rated him 6th best in coverage as a safety. He needs work with his tackling (Not effort but form, he can hit) against the run but hes awesome.

squicken

Based on every game I've seen on Young. He is faster, better route running abilities and has hands as good as Hartline. He was honestly the perfect #2 to Megatron.

Young burned Sherman numerous times, including one for a 50+ yard bomb, when we played the Seachickens this year despite Shermans shittalking on Megatron.

Youngs rookie season stats are comparable to Hartlines career season last year. Its a
Goddamn shame Young is a bipolar schizo cause the dude is talented. I was looking forward to seeing what he would do with the Rams but I think he needs to spend a few years in the CFL and grow up. Even then that may not be possible considering how hard headed he is.

That's the thing about Sherman that so annoying. I have seen numerous guys smoke him. He's just really good, but nothing close to Revis. I'd rather have Patrick Peterson for the return ability.

I like Harvin, and he probably deserves 10 million a year but he is delusional.

At this point I just want the Vikings to cut ties. Get what they can for him. Guess I'll have to get a Smith or Walsh jersey.

squicken

Mike Wallace to the Vikes is the biggest waste of his talents. Ponder can't throw a deep ball unless he rainbows it. By the time he finishes his play fake to Peterson, Wallace will be out of his range

Milchjon

Damn, I miss fried gator. Florida's the best state in the country, idc what GAF thinks.

"Florida Man Thinks Florida Is Greatest State"

Edit: Oh God, :jnc

Florida Man Accused Of Masturbating In Front Of Girl, Claims He Was Fixing Hole In His Pants

Florida Man Arrested Peeking Over Woman's Fence, Tells Cops He'll Tell Wife A Story About "The Garden Or Something"

Florida Man Gave Teller Full Name While Robbing Bank

Court Rules Judge Can't Ban Florida Man From Ohio
(My favorite)

I finally saw the Sherman-Bayless clip. I enjoyed it up until Sherman told Skip that he was better at life. That whole exchange almost sounds like something that ESPN would cook up. They now have something to spend 30 minutes on during First Take.

jakncoke

Banned
While the Vikings and Harvin's agent, Joel Segal, have yet to exchange contract proposals, it's believed that Harvin wants money closer to what Calvin Johnson got from Detroit in 2012 (eight years, $132 million) than to Jackson or Bowe. That's an average of $16.5 million per year compared to a little more than $11 million for Jackson and Bowe. As one person put it about Harvin, he considers himself a "special" player and executives around the league have fed that attitude by telling people close to him how difficult it is to cover Harvin.

Jesus fucking christ did he not just watch Mike Wallace fail at this last year.

What got your little panties into a bunch?

r0AYH.gif

When Florida gets shipped off, Gator can jump over to the main land, because he's cool

1. Chiefs -
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets -
10. Titans -
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins -
13. Buccaneers -
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints -
16. Rams - squicken
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals -
22. Rams (from Redskins) -
23. Vikings -
24. Colts -
25. Seahawks -
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans -
28. Broncos - Godslay
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers -
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Mike Wallace to the Vikes is the biggest waste of his talents. Ponder can't throw a deep ball unless he rainbows it. By the time he finishes his play fake to Peterson, Wallace will be out of his range
Wallace to Miami makes way, way more sense. I'd say if they're willing to spend the money (which by all accounts it sounds like Ireland is) he's theirs.

Future All-Pro safety Devin McCourty will not allow Wallace to do anything deep against us.

In my dreams
It won't matter because Cordarelle Patterson will be burning Steve Gregory on the other side.

In other news, sounds like the Hartline deal is official:

The wide receiver and the Dolphins have agreed to terms on a five-year, $30.775 million deal, league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. The deal includes $12.5 million in guaranteed money.
Sounds like a good deal for him but I'm glad he's staying.

It won't matter because Cordarelle Patterson will be burning Steve Gregory on the other side

Patterson won't even get to Gregory, because he would still be trying to get out of Dowling his beastly jam at the LoS.

Serious though, I really hope Dowling magically stays healthy. The way he handled Brandon Marshall when he was still on the Dolphins was pure sex.

Patterson won't even get to Gregory, because he would still be trying to get out of Dowling his beastly jam at the LoS.

Serious though, I really hope Dowling magically stays healthy. The way he handled Brandon Marshall when he was still on the Dolphins was pure sex.
I'll be honest, I couldn't remember this Dowling guy so I had to look him up. Apparently he played two games in 2011 before being placed on IR (on my birthday, by the way) and then played half the 2012 season before going on IR again? I'm surprised he's even on the roster at this point.

I can see why you're fond of him, though. He's a UVA grad so there's a chance he could have some of that Shoob magic.

I'll be honest, I couldn't remember this Dowling guy so I had to look him up. Apparently he played two games in 2011 before being placed on IR (on my birthday, by the way) and then played half the 2012 season before going on IR again? I'm surprised he's even on the roster at this point.

I can see why you're fond of him, though. He's a UVA grad so there's a chance he could have some of that Shoob magic.

Man I wanted the Eagles to draft him so bad. Now I am so happy that they didnt. He is totally made of glass.

How many of the weirdos come from Orlando, Tampa, or Miami?

I always assumed that all the weird shit happens in the rest of the state where there is nothing. We have to keep Florida just for Disney World and Miami. The rest can be sold or sawed off.

All the weird shit is committed by people from the north.They come down here and think they can do whatever they want.

5 years $30 M for Hartline? Ireland sucks so damn much it's amazing.
The team isn't exactly in a position to be conservative when it comes to WR's right now. I'm willing to give Ireland this offseason and next year before I give up on him.

His production was solid last year (in terms of yards but not TD's admittedly), but that was with a rookie head coach, a rookie QB, and little to no help from the rest of the WR's. I think the thought is that Hartline could develop into a very good #2 WR if the Dolphins go after Wallace/Jennings and/or pick up a WR early in the draft. It's a little risky but considering their WR situation and the fact that he showed great chemistry with Tannehill last year I don't think it's necessarily a bad move. Everyone is always criticizing Ireland for being overly conservative, so it's time to see what happens when he decides not to be.

We'll see how it goes!

Sounds like the Chiefs mentality when they got Cassel. Tying $30M/5yrs to Hartline is a terrible way to solve the WR problem.
Hartline has a big potential upside playing with a good #1 and a good QB. He hasn't been afforded that combination in previous years. Like I said, it's risky, but it's about time Ireland took some risks.

Hartline has a big potential upside playing with a good #1 and a good QB. He hasn't been afforded that combination in previous years. Like I said, it's risky, but it's about time Ireland took some risks.

I don't even know what you mean by conservative. He went after Harbs, he went after Manning, he got Bush, he traded one of the best WRs in the league, and then traded our best/2nd best CB. It's not like we've been an inactive team since he took over..

I don't even know what you mean by conservative. He went after Harbs, he went after Manning, he got Bush, he traded one of the best WRs in the league, and then traded our best/2nd best CB. It's not like we've been an inactive team since he took over..
Conservative in the spending money sense. He didn't do enough to get those guys you're talking about and he didn't want to pay those guys who are gone now. He's taking some risks by spending some money now.

Yeah he definitely has the skill to be a very good CB, but missing most of his first 2 years cant inspire much confidence. This has got to be the year for him.

Yeah, he has to make the roster this year again and actually not land on IR or he's probably gone. Still he's quite cheap, so he's not hurting them too much.

It's so hard to find a good coverage safety. Everything I see on FA safeties is "good in the box must play downhill". Ed Reed is the only decent guy in coverage and he's 900.
Phillips is a quality coverage safety. He just can't stay healthy. Don't know where it is you're looking...;)

Suddenly Gondo's boner grew as one of Weeden's potential competitors had vanished.
2 year, 8 million dollar deal according to twitter.

Wrayfield

Wow that is very surprising. I am shocked he didnt leave for believeland and a real chance to start.

Somewhat surprised myself. I know they're not allowed to talk to other teams, but maybe his agent tried to gauge the interest with other teams and there was little? Okay back-up for us in case Tannehill get hurt.

Top Bottom