• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Signing Cruz, given his age, is basically just over-paying a WR draft pick, with the bonus that he doesn't have to sit out a year. Or maybe teams view him as unique to the Giants offense

Yep, I said about a month ago that Cruz would be my favorite. I would rather pay him and give up a pick than draft Tavon Austin and keep trying to develop players. Cruz is better in the slot than Amendola and has a much greater chance of breaking free for bog plays. He is expensive, but he is a young and dangerous playmaker who could finally be one of the biggest missing pieces to the puzzle. We haven't had a solid receiver in years.

squicken

Russ Wilson likes to post pictures of his wife on Twitter. Very strange

By that standard, the market for Mike Wallace should have been readily evident as soon as he was tendered. Afterall, you're just overpaying a WR draft pick, right? You can argue the subjective quality of the two receivers all you like but the RFA market just has not been proven to work like that. I could be wrong and the market for Cruz could be huge and teams will be offering their first rounder and a 10m/yr contract to get him. We'll see...

I'll take that 22nd pick if the Rams want to give it up.;)

I think Wallace was and is more of a risk than Cruz is. Also, the WR market changed last year with Garcon and Jackson. Teams finally realized you can't give young QBs no WRs and expect them to develop. Freeman was a totally different player once he had VJAX to go and gets his throws. Ideally, you draft them. But if you can't, then you have to sign them

btw teams signing RFAs have to give up their own pick, so it would 16. It's tough. Rams only have 3 WRs on the current roster. Basically choosing to let Danny go, and then either take Austin and pay him little, but assume risk of unknown rookie, or pay Cruz, and live with that salary

Yep, I said about a month ago that Cruz would be my favorite. I would rather pay him and give up a pick than draft Tavon Austin and keep trying to develop players. Cruz is better in the slot than Amendola and has a much greater chance of breaking free for bog plays. He is expensive, but he is a young and dangerous playmaker who could finally be one of the biggest missing pieces to the puzzle. We haven't had a solid receiver in years.

I'm with you, but I think the Rams may have screwed themselves with the ridiculous Lauranitis extension last year. He's 15m on the cap next year, and restructuring just screws the cap in a later year

Also, the WR market changed last year with Garcon and Jackson. Teams finally realized you can't give young QBs no WRs and expect them to develop. Freeman was a totally different player once he had VJAX to go and gets his throws. Ideally, you draft them. But if you can't, then you have to sign them
Yep, and this is the number one reason why so many people expect Ireland to go all out for Wallace. He lost out on Garcon and Jackson last year because he underestimated their market value and it made life for Ryan Tannehill quite difficult. I don't expect he'll make that same mistake this offseason.

squicken

Yep, and this is the number one reason why so many people expect Ireland to go all out for Wallace. He lost out on Garcon and Jackson last year because he underestimated their market value and it made life for Ryan Tannehill quite difficult. I don't expect he'll make that same mistake this offseason.

It's funny how people evaluate players. Freeman sucked until they spent a billion dollars fixing the OL and WR, and upgraded the coaches. Now, he melted down at the end of the year. But early on, at least, he was putting up big time numbers

Sounds like you have a coaching issue....

Absolutely. Coached the Saints defense last year. One of the worst coaches in NFL history. The only WR left from his tenure was recommended by McDaniels

It's funny how people evaluate players. Freeman sucked until they spent a billion dollars fixing the OL and WR, and upgraded the coaches. Now, he melted down at the end of the year. But early on, at least, he was putting up big time numbers
I don't understand what happened to Freeman at the end of last year, honestly.

Sounds like you have a coaching issue....

I mean no offense but the "quick fix" is what keeps losers .....losing.
Wait... are you trying to tell me Alex Smith isn't going to lead the Chiefs to a Super Bowl?

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Any recommendations for a good modem and router? I'm looking to spend less than 200$ and need something straight forward to set up.

I feel like anymore the cable company provides these all in one things that work pretty well. I haven't had a problem with either of the things TWC and Comcast has given us. I had a lot of trouble with the modem from Cox though but that wasn't even DOCSIS 3.0 or whatever capable.

Wait... are you trying to tell me Alex Smith isn't going to lead the Chiefs to a Super Bowl?
I'm pretty confident in saying no.;)

Though we've discussed this a bit (not specifically YOU but in the thread), Smith isn't meant to take them to the promised land. He's there to improve that win percentage as the team is built. He's a stop gap player and I think Reid and the Chiefs top brass understand that.

I'm pretty confident in saying no.;)

Though we've discussed this a bit (not specifically YOU but in the thread), Smith isn't meant to take them to the promised land. He's there to improve that win percentage as the team is built. He's a stop gap player and I think Reid and the Chiefs top brass understand that.
Yeah, and in that respect I can see why the move was made. I really only made that comment to distract myself from the fact that the Dolphins going after Mike Wallace is probably a perfect example of what you're talking about.

squicken

I don't understand what happened to Freeman at the end of last year, honestly.

He was a lot better when his attempts per game were low. Best work came off play action. They also lost some linemen to injuries, which hurt their run game, and forced him to throw more. I've never been a big fan, but I think he's a guy who can do well when protected.

edit: fucking moron. Stop taking dumb crap that doesn't work and get your scrawny ass on that HGH and adderall and stem cells that all the good QBs take

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hJLFriG2yA&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, and in that respect I can see why the move was made. I really only made that comment to distract myself from the fact that the Dolphins going after Mike Wallace is probably a perfect example of what you're talking about.
That's part of the "win now" mentality that teams just have today. It makes them push out young QB's ASAP as opposed to letting them sit a year and develop. I hate it but then its born out of the fans and their complete impatience with rebuilding.

Honest question: If David Gerrard had stayed healthy last season - would Tannehill have been your starter?

The Dolphins put a pretty good coaching staff together on the field last season - does Philbin have any say on personnel?

squicken

Dave Richard ‏@daverichard
"We always dreamed of playing together. This week presents that possibility." -- SJax on joining Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay.

Dave Richard ‏@daverichard
"I think they're one good running back away from winning the Super Bowl." -- SJax on joining the Falcons. He chuckled after saying that.

Also says going to PITT a possibility, though all of it is just him trying to create a market.

Honest question: If David Gerrard had stayed healthy last season - would Tannehill have been your starter?

The Dolphins put a pretty good coaching staff together on the field last season - does Philbin have any say on personnel?
Yeah, there was a big push to keep Tannehill on the bench for a year and honestly that may have been the plan initially but obviously it didn't work out that way.

I think Philbin has some say in personnel but it probably isn't very significant, it seems like those shots are mostly being called by Ireland now. I also remember hearing that Sherman and Philbin both had some say in picking up Tannehill, which is easy enough to understand given Sherman's history with Tannehill. Philbin and Ireland seem to agree on some general philosophies though, and even though I'm joking about the coaching I do have some faith in Philbin (and a small bit left in Ireland). Philbin has stated that he is a fan of building through the draft and Ireland has made similar comments. The big difference this year is that they have a ton of cap room so they can afford to take some chances in free agency without hurting their draft status.

There are definitely some signs that the Dolphins are trying to avoid the "win now" mentality, like letting go of Brandon Marshall and Chad Johnson, but whether or not they'll stick to that mentality as time goes on remains to be seen.

jakncoke

Banned
With Matt Moore resigning that makes the qb market even more lol. who the best 3 available lol, Hartline 30 million deal is about 11 million over that one site prediction, will be interesting to see how off they are on the others

BigAT

With Matt Moore resigning that makes the qb market even more lol. who the best 3 available lol, Hartline 30 million deal is about 11 million over that one site prediction, will be interesting to see how off they are on the others

I saw this list on my Twitter earlier. Not the first to say this obviously, but it helps explain, at least somewhat, why the 49ers were able to get so much for Alex Smith this year.

"With Matt Moore signed, top FA QBs:
1. J. Campbell
2. D. Garrard
3. C. Daniel
4. Drew Stanton
5. Josh Johnson
6. Vince Young."

That's a really sad group if you're currently a team without a franchise QB. Especially given what is available in the draft this year.

jakncoke

Banned
lol that gotta be one the worst FA classes in a long long time and with the perceived draft class talent could be a very big lol mark in a couple years

JABEE

What are the Eagles plans going to be tonight. I think they should try to improve on the offensive line. I'd bring in Adrien Wilson to see if he can help our problem at safety. Anybody is better than Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman. The Eagles have over 30 million in cap space. Let's get to work.

What are your plans YankeeHater, Brinbe, and Xeke?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
What are the Eagles plans going to be tonight. I think they should try to improve on the offensive line. I'd bring in Adrien Wilson to see if he can help our problem at safety. Anybody is better than Nate Allen and Kurt Coleman. The Eagles have over 30 million in cap space. Let's get to work.

What are your plans YankeeHater, Brinbe, and Xeke?

Bring back Vince Young. Dream Team 2.1!

cdyhybrid

Radio was talking about the possibility that Denver cuts Elvis if they can't agree on his pay cut/restructuring and the Seahawks signing him. Do want. I'd be surprised if he did actually get cut, though.

Signs pointing to releasing DeAngelo Hall:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...3/08/signs-point-to-release-of-deangelo-hall/

Hall said at the end of the 2012 season that he was willing to do whatever it took to rework his deal and remain in Washington. One person speaking on the condition of anonymity said that Hall’s representatives had proposed to contract restructure, but the Redskins informed them that they still were hoping to get at least some of the $18 million back and couldn’t talk money because wouldn’t know where they stood until closer to the start of free agency. The Redskins had twice pushed back negotiations with Hall’s representatives in February while holding out hope for resolution to the cap dispute.

Top Bottom