• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

So like if you are a fan of Real Madrid, you're basically in a 2 team league. Or with Chelsea, a 4 team league. What are you watching game to game? Trying to not lose vs bad teams? I mean I guess you could say that applies to the Pats over the last decade of so, given that division, and how it's all prelude to the playoffs

But idk, especially the Spanish teams. Seems like 90% of the games are just pointless

Sidenote : Chelsea is a terrible team, they're not playing for a championship.

Draxal

2 key differences: The total number of games (soccer is starting to become almost like baseball/basketball in that regard) and the fact that football even at its worst is almost always a visual spectacle. I mean, buttfumble originated in one of those games!

Is Werner getting alot of coverage in the German papers with the draft upcoming? I recall NFL Europe was always more popular in Germany than the other countries (I know all the army bases kinda had an effect on that 2).

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Reggie Bush' top two destinations appear to be either the Lions or the Cardinals

To no surprise, Reggie Bush won’t be back with the Dolphins. So where will he go?

Teams to watch include the Lions and the Cardinals. Detroit previously has been linked to Bush, a move that would be no surprise in light of the fact that Jahvid Best likely will never play football again. The Cardinals simply need the talent, and Bush has it.

The fact that the Cardinals have needs makes them even more attractive for Bush, because he wants to be the top dog on the depth chart. In Detroit, there’s a chance that won’t happen.

You guys getting nervous? A changing of the guard is happening in the NFC, and thus the NFL.

Bush won't get the opportunity to be the "top dog" in Detroit, but his career will wither away in Arizona with no QB/playmakers for the foreseeable future. If Reggie were to help bring a Super Bowl to Detroit he would be worshiped for eternity. He has no chance at that in Arizona.

squicken

Sidenote : Chelsea is a terrible team, they're not playing for a championship.

I thought in the EPL, the goal was to get in the top 4 so they could play in the Champions League? Aren't they a top 4 team usually?

edit: Dumbest FA story so far. David Carr does not want to start or play. He wants to get paid to be a backup. For some reason he is being linked to TB as competition for Freeman

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/david-carr-drawing-interest-from-two-teams/

Milchjon

Is Werner getting alot of coverage in the German papers with the draft upcoming? I recall NFL Europe was always more popular in Germany than the other countries (I know all the army bases kinda had an effect on that 2).

Haven't read anything so far. I think the draft is to foreign a concept, so newspapers would have to explain. The Super Bowl usually gets a few articles, and before XLVI Vollmer got a bit of attention for being German and "the bodyguard of one of the best players ever, who's also married to Gisele Bundchen".

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So like if you are a fan of Real Madrid, you're basically in a 2 team league. Or with Chelsea, a 4 team league. What are you watching game to game? Trying to not lose vs bad teams? I mean I guess you could say that applies to the Pats over the last decade of so, given that division, and how it's all prelude to the playoffs

But idk, especially the Spanish teams. Seems like 90% of the games are just pointless

Is soccer like baseball and to some extent basketball with not having a salary cap?

Bread

Banned
Anyone here tryout windows 8? Seriously considering getting one of these windows 8 laptops. On microsoft surface can you use Word? Trying to figure out surface or laptop

squicken

Is soccer like baseball and to some extent basketball with not having a salary cap?

Yes, except there is no draft or salary control for young players. Rich get richer, and it is exponentially growing b/c the sport is so global that big teams take more and more of sponsorships

Milchjon

The whole system in European soccer is fucked. Everything but the Champions League is a joke.

It's like letting NFL teams play against High School teams for 40 games per season, and then let them play a shortened real season at the end (Champions League).

Edit: Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but I just hate soccer.

Draxal

Yes, except there is no draft or salary control for young players. Rich get richer, and it is exponentially growing b/c the sport is so global that big teams take more and more of sponsorships

Ayup, pretty much American sports is 100% communism (Hi Green Bay) compared to capitalist paradise soccer.

It's pretty much the reason MLS will be nothing more than a joke.

Rorschach

Reggie Bush' top two destinations appear to be either the Lions or the Cardinals

You guys getting nervous? A changing of the guard is happening in the NFC, and thus the NFL.

Bush won't get the opportunity to be the "top dog" in Detroit, but his career will wither away in Arizona with no QB/playmakers for the foreseeable future. If Reggie were to help bring a Super Bowl to Detroit he would be worshiped for eternity. He has no chance at that in Arizona.

I can't tell when you're serious anymore.

Godslay

Banned
Anyone here tryout windows 8? Seriously considering getting one of these windows 8 laptops. On microsoft surface can you use Word? Trying to figure out surface or laptop

I have it on my wife's desktop. It's not too bad. I installed classic shell, so it essentially Win 7 in appearance and behavior.

The reason I did this is because the monitor doesn't have a touch screen, so you lose some of the benefit of going to 8. I got the desktop on a smoking deal so I couldn't pass it up. If you are getting a touchscreen laptop or Surface then it's probably worth it to keep it with the tiles.

From what I understand the Surface Pro runs Win 8 it will run the same Word you will get on a desktop/laptop. The non Pro Surface is a little different in that it runs an Arm variation so the programs it can run will be different. It does have it's own version of office afaik.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette says re-signing free agent CB Keenan Lewis is beginning to look "difficult" to do.
"Maybe they will pull a rabbit out of their hat," writes Ed Bouchette. We wouldn't bank on it. The Steelers set themselves up to lose Lewis by signing William Gay last weekend. Ike Taylor and Cortez Allen are currently slated to be on the outside. Lewis should draw plenty of interest, and a team to watch is the Browns.
AFC north dream team starts Tuesday

3D printing is the NFL's great hope to solve concussions! New brains for all! Maybe Titus Young can get someone else's brain!
I remember his rookie year I drafted him pretty high in fantasy and people thought I was crazy, it paid off beginning of the season. Brady and Bradshaw led me to a Chamionship that year :)

I have it on my wife's desktop. It's not too bad. I installed classic shell, so it essentially Win 7 in appearance and behavior.

The reason I did this is because the monitor doesn't have a touch screen, so you lose some of the benefit of going to 8. I got the desktop on a smoking deal so I couldn't pass it up. If you are getting a touchscreen laptop or Surface then it's probably worth it to keep it with the tiles.

From what I understand the Surface Pro runs Win 8 it will run the same Word you will get on a desktop/laptop. The non Pro Surface is a little different in that it runs an Arm variation so the programs it can run will be different. It does have it's own version of office afaik.
Interesting I'll have to do some more research, best buy is having a 100 dollar off windows 8 laptops sale this week. I'm hoping to get my taxes back this week and trying to decide between surface and a laptop

squicken

Joel Corry ‏@corryjoel
Tony Gonzalez may have a little Brett Favre in him since he can be lured out of "retirement" with a raise & an abbreviated pre-season.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I can't tell when you're serious anymore.

I'm being dead serious. We can hang with any team in the NFL and I truly believe that. If we can get into the playoffs (and I think we will) there is no team that we can't hang with.

Even with our WR corp decimated, sans CJ, we were up 17-3 against the Packers at Lambeau field, with another TD drive coming up, before some bad luck set in.

On Thanksgiving we were on our way to beating the darling, and overrated Texans, before bad luck and some shitty referee calls.

Stafford led us to yet another comeback victory against the Seahawks combined with a 400 yard 3 TD performance at the start of the season.

2012 was an anomaly, and a season a young, cocky team has to go through to learn. If this team sucked and had no talent I'd be the first to call them out. We have the pieces that all SB contenders need (mainly a young, stud QB).

Lol I'm shakin in my boots

bionic77

pssh with how science and health is going, I bet most of us live to 100 in here. imagine sports trolling each other in 2050 . If neogaf ever dies or goes offline we gotta keep this going on another forum lol
You don't want to live that long. Your body might last that long but our brains go to shit in your 70s and 80s. I would rather die at 80 with no dementia or Alzheimer's than live to 100 and be batshit insane and not remember anything.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Lol I'm shakin in my boots

Can you honestly say that the 49ers are that much better than this Lions squad, led by Stafford, Megatron and Suh?

Handshake-gate 2011 you guys had to beat us on a game winning drive.

When we played you guys at SF on MNF, without a running back to speak of, you guys beat us 27-19. I saw nothing in that game that said you guys were that much better than us.

My point is, and has been, we're almost there. I respect what the 49ers have done under Harbaugh the last two seasons, but there is no doubt in my mind we can hang with you, and beat you.

I'm being dead serious. We can hang with any team in the NFL and I truly believe that. If we can get into the playoffs (and I think we will) there is no team that we can't hang with.

Even with our WR corp decimated, sans CJ, we were up 17-3 against the Packers at Lambeau field, with another TD drive coming up, before some bad luck set in.

On Thanksgiving we were on our way to beating the darling, and overrated Texans, before bad luck and some shitty referee calls.

Stafford led us to yet another comeback victory against the Seahawks combined with a 400 yard 3 TD performance at the start of the season.

2012 was an anomaly, and a season a young, cocky team has to go through to learn. If this team sucked and had no talent I'd be the first to call them out. We have the pieces that all SB contenders need (mainly a young, stud QB).

You were also gifted a win over the Rams by the replacement refs. Would have been 3-13. Stafford is worse than Sanchez

ChanHuk

Banned
Can you honestly say that the 49ers are that much better than this Lions squad, led by Stafford, Megatron and Suh?

Handshake-gate 2011 you guys had to beat us on a game winning drive.

When we played you guys at home on MNF, without a running back to speak of, you guys beat us 27-19. I saw nothing in that game that said you guys were that much better than us.

My point is, and has been, we're almost there. I respect what the 49ers have done under Harbaugh the last two seasons, but there is no doubt in my mind we can hang with you, and beat you.

Salty and spicy, I like you.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

A8bUQ5iCUAAjLNI.jpg

jakncoke

Banned
You don't want to live that long. Your body might last that long but our brains go to shit in your 70s and 80s. I would rather die at 80 with no dementia or Alzheimer's than live to 100 and be batshit insane and not remember anything.

Kastrioti is already there and probably not even 30 :(

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex

Regardless of Schwartz' stupid challenge, that call was an obvious call anyone could've seen from a mile away.

You were also gifted a win over the Rams by the replacement refs. Would have been 3-13. Stafford is worse than Sanchez

Not familiar with what call you're talking about, and honestly that was probably the only game I didn't watch last season. We also lost a game to the Titans because of the replacement refs so it evens out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjMeNmIYk6w

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2012/9/24/3380454/replacement-refs-nfl-mistakes-lions-titans

Watch the highlights and observe how the replacements give the Titans an extra 15 yards on a phantom call. I don't think there has ever been a call like that in NFL history.

bionic77

Win a few more games than the Browns and then I promise I might take your team seriously.

squicken

That won't be off.

What would be odd is you not jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm not a front-runner, so it's more likely that I'd switch to a Steelers fan

the b/r mock has Barkley going 7th to Arizona.

Bleacher Report's draft guy put it out at the Combine that they loved Barkley. Everyone said the dude is full of shit, but he 's sticking to his guns. It's the wrong type of QB for Arians' system

It's going to be kind of odd to see CLE and CIN dominate that division for the next few years
F the bungles, but yep we're coming together, can't wait to be able to act like a Jackass cause we win.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the Browns are "believed to be" interested in free agent DL Ricky Jean-Francois.
Add another to the list of suitors for Jean-Francois. The 6-foot-3, 295-pound 26-year-old lineman is a hot commodity. Cleveland could be in the market for someone to play the line with Phil Taylor and Ahtyba Rubin
DreamTeam.

tumblr_m4xacaJoRT1qjfrnao1_500.gif

Top Bottom