• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Lunchbox

Banned
Imagine how much better the Lions' 27th ranked defense will be after practicing against Reggie Bush every week.

all teams will adapt the bend but dont break defense that Bill introduced.

After the criminals like stabby ray and reed retire, no one will be able get away with dirty hits and it will become the only future proof D

You don't want to play lunatic +, it's stab you in the eye hard, hard.

i'll handle these sons a bitches!

do you (or anyone) know if the DLC is worth paying for? i got the free one and found the side story potentially interesting but i dont know if i feel like forking over $6 or whatever it is for a few extra maps

Draxal

i'll handle these sons a bitches!

do you (or anyone) know if the DLC is worth paying for? i got the free one and found the side story potentially interesting but i dont know if i feel like forking over $6 or whatever it is for a few extra maps

It's mainly made for nostalgia purposes, so alot of the appeal of the dlc isn't going to hit for a western audience as most of the characters showing up in the dlc only appeared in japanese only games.

If you want to spend around 10 bucks.

You'll want to get the the golden pack for six bucks, gives you a great way to grind for gold/xp/and some strong weapons.

You also want Lost bloodlines 2, since it'll give you a brand new class (the dread fighter).

bionic77

I think I've set a bad example for Baltimore.

Hard is so hard. I'm doing something wrong.

Still awesome.
Not sure it was a good idea to start the series on hard as a rookie.

You really have to know which characters to level up and focus on clearing levels and leveling them up at the same time. The further you go the harder it becomes to overcome those early mistakes. Maybe less than the other games but it still makes the game harder. General lesson figure out which characters level up at a good rate and focus on them in different classes. I am on chapter 19 and my main two guys are Gods. Vaike is also a superhero and Cordelia can take out anyone other than archers by herself.

I am a little sword heavy in my secondary characters so far, but they group all the different enemies so close together the weapon mechanics don't seem to matter as much in this game.

bionic77

i beat it a few days ago. game of the year so far.

going to go through a second play through maybe next month or something on the hardest difficulty. nintendo has made a fire emblem fan of me for life!
Get the GBA games of you have a DS or GBA. They are both awesome as fuck.

Also lunatic is pretty insane in Fire Emblem. In the other games you really have to take advantage of certain things to get through. And also a lot of luck.

Draxal

Not sure it was a good idea to start the series on hard as a rookie.

You really have to know which characters to level up and focus on clearing levels and leveling them up at the same time. The further you go the harder it becomes to overcome those early mistakes. Maybe less than the other games but it still makes the game harder. General lesson figure out which characters level up at a good rate and focus on them in different classes. I am on chapter 19 and my main two guys are Gods. Vaike is also a superhero and Cordelia can take out anyone other than archers by herself.

I am a little sword heavy in my secondary characters so far, but they group all the different enemies so close together the weapon mechanics don't seem to matter as much in this game.

I think I went all sword/spears with a couple of casters myself. Pair up really kinda throws off the balance of units compared to other fire emblems.

From what I've heard, normal in this fire emblem is really easy compared to previous normals, while say one of the snes games is harder then this game's hard difficulty in the only difficulty setting the game has.

Let me look this game up...

PASS
:(

Schefter and Peter King saying Wallace is likely to go to Miami
I still don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, it should be a great fit. On the other hand, they will probably end up paying Wallace more than he's worth.

On Bush: I like the guy alright and I enjoyed watching him in Miami but I'm not at all sad to see him go. He's just too inconsistent as an every down back for my taste.

I still don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, it should be a great fit. On the other hand, they will probably end up paying Wallace more than he's worth.

On Bush: I like the guy alright and I enjoyed watching him in Miami but I'm not at all sad to see him go. He's just too inconsistent as an every down back for my taste.

Why does it matter if they pay him "to much"? The nice thing about NFL contracts is they are not guaranteed and you can cut or renegotiate with guys pretty much any time you need to. Plus the Fins are way under the cap. I think Wallace would be a great fit for them and really help their offense out. If they get him it will be a great move for them.

squicken

:(

Can't remember the exact quote, but it's something like "few people, in any profession, work harder when they get more money". It was in reference to the draft, but it holds for FA too. That said, the Phins need to give Tanny some help, and if they have enough room, they can front-load it so they can cut him with minimal harm later if it goes bad

Why does it matter if they pay him "to much"? The nice thing about NFL contracts is they are not guaranteed and you can cut or renegotiate with guys pretty much any time you need to. Plus the Fins are way under the cap. I think Wallace would be a great fit for them and really help their offense out. If they get him it will be a great move for them.
Yeah, I guess I'm more worried about the contract favoring Wallace too much besides just $/year. Regardless, there is a lot of risk involved with offering a huge contract to a FA WR so I'm just a little nervous about it, but you're right about it being a great fit for them. Tannehill has a great arm but no one to take advantage of it so it'll be great to see that need addressed (the biggest need for the team, in my opinion).

I just see stuff like, "third highest paid" and get kind of skeptical.

Can't remember the exact quote, but it's something like "few people, in any profession, work harder when they get more money". It was in reference to the draft, but it holds for FA too. That said, the Phins need to give Tanny some help, and if they have enough room, they can front-load it so they can cut him with minimal harm later if it goes bad
That's a great quote. I guess I should just embrace it though, this entire offseason was set up for something like this to happen, and it's obvious that going conservative with FA's hasn't paid off for Ireland so far.

Yeah, I guess I'm more worried about the contract favoring Wallace too much besides just $/year. Regardless, there is a lot of risk involved with offering a huge contract to a FA WR so I'm just a little nervous about it, but you're right about it being a great fit for them. Tannehill has a great arm but no one to take advantage of it so it'll be great to see that need addressed (the biggest need for the team, in my opinion).

I just see stuff like, "third highest paid" and get kind of skeptical.

That's a great quote. I guess I should just embrace it though, this entire offseason was set up for something like this to happen, and it's obvious that going conservative with FA's hasn't paid off for Ireland so far.

The media always throws stuff like that out when guys sign but it never means anything. All that matters is how much is gauranteed, and how many years is the cap hit spread over. I remember when the Eagles sign Vick, and supposedly he was like the 3rd highest QB at $100m, he got $40m before he had to restructure. The agents leak these numbers to make it look like they are getting more for their clients, but unless the guy is amazing for his whole contract, they never get most of the money.

Rotoworld has a top 100 FA projections article. Where they'll end up and the dollars for each:

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/42734/309/top-100-free-agency-forecast?pg=1
12. Offensive tackle Jake Long -- If Long hits free agency seeking Joe Thomas money as has been rumored, he's going to be sorely disappointed. NFL teams are wary of Long's checkered injury history, two-year performance decline, and diminishing athleticism going on age 28. Some even believe he's no longer a capable left tackle and needs to move to the right side. The Fins are willing to pay Long like a top-12 left tackle and remain his likeliest suitor. Look for Long to sit on the market for about two days before realizing staying in Miami is in his best interest.

Free Agent Forecast: Dolphins on a five-year, $38 million contract.
I'd actually be pretty happy if things played out that way.

Jake Long not getting much interest
So far so good! It would really suck if the Dolphins had to focus a lot of attention on finding a suitable LT replacement early in the draft, I'd much rather them have the flexibility available to go after a CB or maybe even a DE with their first pick. And heck, if Patterson somehow stayed around that long I wouldn't even mind that pick, although that seems a lot less likely given all the Wallace talk.

squicken

The thing about Long is that he says he is fully healthy and dealt with injuries the last two years, but the injuries stated were his arm injuries. That wasn't his problem. He was play stiff and getting beat by anyone with lateral quickness. Lost his ability to get leverage and change direction

I don't care if STL signs him to play RT, but just don't spend much

Congratulations on missing out on the best open world game of the year, BlackGhost.
So much potential! I hope it delivers. I love the look of the game:

lego_city_undercover_promo_art.jpg

squicken

If it takes that long I doubt they will bother. I assume by June. I just hope it comes to PC as well. The mods!!!!!

I couldn't remember if the other Lego games came out on PC. I'm so far behind on games that I wouldn't get to until Christmas. I do kind of wonder how much filler will be on the next gen consoles. Last time, MS was picky about what they would certify at launch. I wonder if this time they'll just let the floodgates open to whatever the publishers want to publish

eznark

Banned
Yeah, just saw that in the OP. Sounds like a port is very unlikely. I also saw that EDGE gave the game a 5 which is a little troubling. Their reviews aren't gospel by any means but it's still a red flag to me.

Eh, it seems pretty focused on American 80's action movies. Of course rotten toothed red coats wouldn't get it.

squicken

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero
Text from Dolphins source responding when I ask if Wallace deal is done as reported by some media: "LOL the media."

Follow up text when I ask if Wallace will EVENTUALLY join the Dolphins: "Been hope for while and nothings (sic) changed. Working."

bionic77

Are any of the Lego games great?

Their gameplay is always sufficient but never mindblowing. I just like them because they are hilarious and fun to play. I wouldn't call any of the ones I played masterpieces though.

eznark

Banned
Text from Dolphins source responding when I ask if Wallace deal is done as reported by some media: "LOL the media."

Follow up text when I ask if Wallace will EVENTUALLY join the Dolphins: "Been hope for while and nothings (sic) changed. Working."

Indeed, Joe. Indeed.

Their gameplay is always sufficient but never mindblowing. I just like them because they are hilarious and fun to play. I wouldn't call any of the ones I played masterpieces though.

They get better and better. The latest Batman was awesome. The problem is frequency of release has burned out a lot of people.

I've never found any of them mindblowing, no. Really depends on how much you value the license. I've enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Lego game for instance. It's light hearted fun that I can play with my daughter but I never find myself getting too attached to it...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lego Star Wars is probably still the best but that's mostly due to the license for me. I really enjoyed Lego LOTR but at times it felt like it was phoned in compared to Lego Star Wars.

Top Bottom