• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Wasn't aware of that, thought they ran a 4-3. Well then there you go. He's 29, which isn't too old, but definitely on the slide. He's small as well, and not so hot against the run. Even with that said, he's still an excellent pass rusher. The question is, is he worth $12 million a year? The Broncos don't seem to think so, and I don't know. The $12 million figure is like the ghost of McDaniel's past coming back to haunt us.

Eagles are so far under the cap they just need to find guys that can play and not worry about if they are overpaid this year or not. If he plays well this year they could sign him long term to a more reasonable deal.

mr2xxx

Banned
I don't get what people are quick to call AJ Jenkins a bust. Don't most good WR take about a year or two to really start becoming productive anyways? He did have some nice catches during preseason last year. I know he turned down Rice's offer to work out but it's still way too early to make any sort of judgement at this point....

Yeah it takes time, mostly 3 years. But the fact he was a 1st rounder and healthy but didn't see the field much or even get a catch is not a great start.

I don't get what people are quick to call AJ Jenkins a bust. Don't most good WR take about a year or two to really start becoming productive anyways? He did have some nice catches during preseason last year. I know he turned down Rice's offer to work out but it's still way too early to make any sort of judgement at this point....

i'm not calling him a 100% bust and i get the thinking that wr's need time. it's one thing if he just had pedestrian numbers or didn't get onto the field because our top 3 or 4 WR's were lighting the league on fire.

AJ jenkins couldn't get on the field even after our #3 and #4 WR went out with season ending injuries. in the NFC title game, on a crucial 3rd down, who was on the field in 5 wide? teddy ginn and chad hall. that's right, chad hall had as many passes thrown his way in the NFC title game as AJ jenkins did all year: 1 (jenkins dropped a wide open pass against the cards in the final week of the season)

i hope to be wrong but it just doesn't seem like he has what it takes

Godslay

Banned
Eagles are so far under the cap they just need to find guys that can play and not worry about if they are overpaid this year or not. If he plays well this year they could sign him long term to a more reasonable deal.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens. I'll miss him though if he goes. I'll be a bit upset if we replace him with Freeney though.

mr2xxx

Banned

Despite creating a "Dream Team" they did a great job on not spending much.

Godslay

Banned
Oh gross. No, please no.

The more I look at though, Osi and Freeney are very similar in terms of age and stats. They are budget options that I think we are going to have to live with.

Nah, brah, I think the Denver trained coaches could out coach Reid even if they had lost both eyeballs in stabbing incidents in chokeland's black hole, thug fest stadium.

I think KC is more solid than Oakland and SD. Allen was only here for 1 year and only one year as a HC, and McCoy is a rookie as a HC. I'm gonna bet on KC pulling out wins in each case.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The more I look at though, Osi and Freeney are very similar in terms of age and stats. They are budget options that I think we are going to have to live with.

Yeah, looks like you're right. I think I'd take Osi over Freeney though. I dunno why.

jakncoke

Banned
he played in a few games, just had 0 catches!

also, as you and many others saw last year, you need to have depth. we were hurt in the playoffs because of injuries at WR. aj jenkins is unlikely to ever live up to his first round pick status but that doesn't mean he can't contribute here and there. look like a complete wasted pick right now though

He also had 1 target all season long lollll

Narag

Nothing really. It's just about time to put him out to pasture though. He's old!

Although I'm entirely unqualified to really prove this point, I like to think he'd still be fine in a 4-3 so long as he was playing opposite another good DE. Freeney/Mathis seemed symbiotic as it seemed anytime one would go out, the other would just disappear but hey, what do I remember?

JCizzle

i'm not calling him a 100% bust and i get the thinking that wr's need time. it's one thing if he just had pedestrian numbers or didn't get onto the field because our top 3 or 4 WR's were lighting the league on fire.

AJ jenkins couldn't get on the field even after our #3 and #4 WR went out with season ending injuries. in the NFC title game, on a crucial 3rd down, who was on the field in 5 wide? teddy ginn and chad hall. that's right, chad hall had as many passes thrown his way in the NFC title game as AJ jenkins did all year: 1 (jenkins dropped a wide open pass against the cards in the final week of the season)

i hope to be wrong but it just doesn't seem like he has what it takes

Think of him being redshirted. Harbs wanted that for him and LMJ.

Hunter S.

I think KC is more solid than Oakland and SD. Allen was only here for 1 year and only one year as a HC, and McCoy is a rookie as a HC. I'm gonna bet on KC pulling out wins in each case.
Reid has a reputation. But, he does not guarantee success beyond average. I am not convinced that Alex Smith has enough offensive threats to make them overly dangerous. The Cheifs defense could improve. San Diego still has a team that could do better if Rivers plays like old. But, yeah, the Raiders remain one of the least talented teams. Last lowest overall salary in the league last year and not much talent.

I cannot believe the booty the Vikings received for Harvin, wow. Hope he can stay healthy for him. It's high reward high risk, but if he stays healthy, he's a game changer and an even better weapon for Wilson.

Godslay

Banned
Although I'm entirely unqualified to really prove this point, I like to think he'd still be fine in a 4-3 so long as he was playing opposite another good DE. Freeney/Mathis seemed symbiotic as it seemed anytime one would go out, the other would just disappear but hey, what do I remember?

If he can pull off a 8-10 sack year at around half the price of Dumervil and stay healthy? I'd take it.

Reid has a reputation. But, he does not guarantee success beyond average. I am not convinced that Alex Smith has enough offensive threats to make them overly dangerous. The Cheifs defense could improve. San Diego still has a team that could do better if Rivers plays like old. But, yeah, the Raiders remain one of the least talented teams. Last lowest overall salary in the league last year and not much talent.

KC is a more talented team than both SD and Oak imo. Added with Reid, I think they will be better than most give them credit for. What the hell do I know though? I don't got no crystal ball!

eznark

Banned
Harvin trade makes last years Marshall trade look damn good.

Not really. The Seahawks are super bowl contenders so it makes sense they would go all in on what they think is an integral missing piece. When a garbage ass .500 team does it it's just idiotic.

I'm sure Peterson is pissed because the Vikings' rep is further in the shitter now but let's be honest here,
Harvin has been injured, concussed, or "I want out of this fucking shithole of a state" inactive for the past couple of seasons.

Hello good sirs.

Wasnt their a report today that said Harvin was displeased by ponders Qb play.

ProFootballCentral ‏ @ PFCentral
Cleveland also made a call about Cassell as well.

ProFootballCentral ‏ @ PFCentral
Minnesota & Arizona have called Chiefs about QB Matt Cassell few teams have.
Figured we probably would with Moore and Hoyer off the market

effzee

Despite creating a "Dream Team" they did a great job on not spending much.

Well that's also because a lot of the Dream Team signings were just 1 year deals.

Steve Smith
Ronnie Brown
Vince Young

All brought in to be backup depth players and only on 1 year contracts. None returned for obvious reasons, though we never used Ronnie Brown so can't fault him for not producing.

Babin was released after 1.5 seasons and didn't count much against the cap. Jenkins was also released. Nnamdi was the only big ball buster signing and if he is released tomorrow, that's another 11 million off the cap.

If Nnamdi is released tomorrow, with all the other releases that already happened, they will be nearly 40 million under the cap.

So they have the room to really sign anyone they really wish to. And personally don't care about "overpaying" because whatever hit you take this year can be off set with another round of cuts next off season plus LOL NFL contracts.

It was never a matter of FA being bad, just picking the right players. As much as the Nnamdi signing blew up in their faces, it didn't help that the defensive coaching situation was so bad that it ruined the rest of the team. With that said I want them to target the younger guys so if they work out and and the rest of the team is rebuild these guys can grow together as a core.

So what's the buzz about where Jennings is going?

I haven't been paying attention.
Nothing much at all from what I've read.

Revis trade moving along?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/jets-have-good-offer-on-table-for-revis/

A league source tells PFT that the Jets have an offer on the table for Revis. Per the source, the offer is a “good” one, both as to the compensation given to the team and the financial package that would be extended to Revis.

Another source tells PFT that, if such an offer has been made, the financial component has yet to be shared with the Revis camp. To date, the Jets and Revis have had no talks, and the Jets have not given Revis’s agents permission to talk to other teams regarding a new contract.

Top Bottom