• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Edit: dammit future
Roto:
Profootballtalk.com reports the Jets have a "good" trade offer on the table for Darrelle Revis.
The offer is classified as "good" in terms of compensation coming the Jets' way and the financial terms that would be extended to Revis. However, that financial package has yet to be shared with Revis and his representatives due to GM John Idzik not giving Revis' camp permission to discuss a new contract with other teams. The Falcons, Broncos, and 49ers have recently denied interest in Revis, but a rumor of Eagles GM Howie Roseman "crunching numbers" and "putting together an offer" for Revis surfaced on Sunday.
The plot thickens, more ammo for Barkley

squicken

I doubt Jennings gets big money, but it only takes one dumb team. Revis to Iggles is interesting. Weird that his agents aren't involved. Maybe Woody will just hand them a take it or shut up and stay offer?

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
though we never used Ronnie Brown so can't fault him for not producing.
RONNIE-BROWN-PASS-ATTEMPT.gif

Which is fair. But even he likely wouldn't have seen the field if Jacobs didn't lose his mind.
It's cute that you thought Jacobs behavior was him losing his mind and not an example of his general way of being.;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lwe01OVb2s

Coughlin had to put him in his place after he had a hissy at Ahmad being the starter (his best friend!). He signed with a team with 20 running backs and expected to get significant carries (DERP). I love that big dope and he'll no doubt sign one of those one day contracts to retire a Giant but dude could be a complete moron more often than not.

Edit: dammit future

The plot thickens, more ammo for Barkely

I heard today that they Eagles really want Revis but they want to give him a low salary this year, like $6m, and then give him a huge roster bonus if he is with the team next year, like $20m+. I wonder if his agent would be okay with that. It would protect the team if his knee is fucked, and give him the crazy money he wants if he is healthy.

Still a chance Jennings comes back to the Bay.
There is and I'd laugh if he draws less money than the franchise tag but I'd rather have him gone at this point.

Offense needs new looks and having him back would probably give MM less of a reason to humble out and scheme differently.

2TE, 2RB offense wooooo!

Love how the Vikings get the Packers leftovers and then the Seahawks get the Vikings.
Lot of Seachickens/Packers connections because of Holmgren, Thompson, and Schneider.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
There is and I'd laugh if he draws less money than the franchise tag but I'd rather have him gone at this point.

Offense needs new looks and having him back would probably give MM less of a reason to humble out and scheme differently.

2TE, 2RB offense

Why do you want him gone? We lost Driver and we want Finley gone right? I'd love to keep him for a few more years.

Why do you want him gone?
For three reasons:

A: He's going to take a nice chunk of change. Two: Health/durability concerns.
And D: This team's delusional insistence on west coast football and 4 WR verts.

we want Finley gone right?
Finley is staying, like it or not.

He's playing for a contract so I'm sure he'll do the best his little candy shell peanut brain can handle.
We'll see how that turns out, of course. I could see him sabotaging the year because his agent tells him it's the right move.

We lost Driver and we want Finley gone right?
Driver did jack shit last year and was transparent most of 2011 as well. The loss is entirely sentimental.

effzee

I heard today that they Eagles really want Revis but they want to give him a low salary this year, like $6m, and then give him a huge roster bonus if he is with the team next year, like $20m+. I wonder if his agent would be okay with that. It would protect the team if his knee is fucked, and give him the crazy money he wants if he is healthy.

Don't know how to feel about getting Revis.

Obviously he is the best CB in the league. Or was. And him being on that defense automatically elevates our secondary from hot garbage to decent with Boykin opposite him.

But we need so much more on D than just one elite CB. Boykin might be a starter but hasn't proven it yet for CB#2. Need an upgrade over both safeties. If we trade for Revis do we still go out and sign Quin or Goldson? With Revis I guess Smith is out of the picture.

And what would they give up? I'd imagine it would have to be a package picks and at the least this year's 2nd round pick. I am assuming this year's 2nd and maybe another 2nd next year o 3rd. If they can pull that off and offer him an incentive laden contract I'd be ok with it. Excited but also very cautious. dReAm TeAm 2.0 lIvEs!

Hmm if they trade for him and keep Nnamdi? Dream Madden line up from 2 seasons ago.

BTW I don't think the Eagles make the move. It will be someone else.

And very surprising how many players have been linked to the Eagles:
Quin
Goldson
Smith
Revis
Winston
Francois
Cook

and possibly others. Lurie wants it bad.

Yeah I think Lurie and Roseman are both desperate to rebuild as quickly as possible and show that it wasnt Reid/Banner that made them good for so many years. This will definitely be an exciting offseason. Eagles have to sign a vet CB and Safety, and draft a guy at both positions. Boykin is a nickel corner, no way is he an outside guy. He is so small teams would just match a tall physical guy up against him.

effzee

Yeah I think Lurie and Roseman are both desperate to rebuild as quickly as possible and show that it wasnt Reid/Banner that made them good for so many years. This will definitely be an exciting offseason. Eagles have to sign a vet CB and Safety, and draft a guy at both positions. Boykin is a nickel corner, no way is he an outside guy. He is so small teams would just match a tall physical guy up against him.

So assuming they have a decent nickel back (plus maybe KR) they still need two starting CBs.

I am going to assume both DRC and Nnamdi are gone. Cap space is there. How would you feel if they use a 2nd round pick this year to get Revis? I wouldn't care how much they pay him really as long as he is healthy and they still sign a veteran S (Quin or Goldson) and draft another CB and S.

And then at #4 they can still take a tackle or if they sign a RT through FA, they can pick whoever is left as the top defensive player. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with either Jordan, Floyd, Star, or whoever else is a top prospect on D.

I would be really thrown off if they trade down and then mid first round take Geno Smith. Like really thrown off.

So assuming they have a decent nickel back (plus maybe KR) they still need two starting CBs.

I am going to assume both DRC and Nnamdi are gone. Cap space is there. How would you feel if they use a 2nd round pick this year to get Revis? I wouldn't care how much they pay him really as long as he is healthy and they still sign a veteran S (Quin or Goldson) and draft another CB and S.

And then at #4 they can still take a tackle or if they sign a RT through FA, they can pick whoever is left as the top defensive player. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with either Jordan, Floyd, Star, or whoever else is a top prospect on D.

I would be really thrown off if they trade down and then mid first round take Geno Smith. Like really thrown off.

I would bet my life they dont take Geno. Lurie never goes to workouts, and not only was he at Genos but he was super public about it. They are trying to get a stupid team to trade up for him. I am worried about Revis since he just started to run again, but if it is a 2nd this year and then a conditional pick next year that isnt to bad. I really want 2 vets in the secondary, since I agree Nnamdi and DRC are gone. I dont want 2 rookies and a 2nd year CB, that would be so bad. Trade for Revis and then sign Quinn or Goldson and draft a safety+CB in the draft and the biggest weakness on the team could become a strength. I think Watkins is going to retire, so I would love to see them get a RT and let Todd go back to guard. I think they trade down and take Jordan in the draft. He seems like an athletic freak, and a great fit for the aggressive defense they say they want to run.

i'm not calling him a 100% bust and i get the thinking that wr's need time. it's one thing if he just had pedestrian numbers or didn't get onto the field because our top 3 or 4 WR's were lighting the league on fire.

AJ jenkins couldn't get on the field even after our #3 and #4 WR went out with season ending injuries. in the NFC title game, on a crucial 3rd down, who was on the field in 5 wide? teddy ginn and chad hall. that's right, chad hall had as many passes thrown his way in the NFC title game as AJ jenkins did all year: 1 (jenkins dropped a wide open pass against the cards in the final week of the season)

i hope to be wrong but it just doesn't seem like he has what it takes

Which is fair. But even he likely wouldn't have seen the field if Jacobs didn't lose his mind.

At the same time, the adjustment for running backs is usually fairly quick since the position is pretty much based a lot on instincts. I dunno.. I just don't really think that Jenkins deserves the bust label he gets from the fans for his performance so far (from what I've read on various boards). If he doesn't contribute significantly next year (I say this because even catching 1 pass would be a huge improvement), then yeah it's on him..but he's a work in progress..

Sucks that it sounds like we're going to lose Goldson. Though I'm not too bummed about it...He really should be a SS anyways...

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
For three reasons:

A: He's going to take a nice chunk of change. Two: Health/durability concerns.
And D: This team's delusional insistence on west coast football and 4 WR verts.

Finley is staying, like it or not.

He's playing for a contract so I'm sure he'll do the best his little candy shell peanut brain can handle.
We'll see how that turns out, of course. I could see him sabotaging the year because his agent tells him it's the right move.

Driver did jack shit last year and was transparent most of 2011 as well. The loss is entirely sentimental.

I'll admit I'm living in the past with Driver, I just hope Finley/Nelson/Cobb/Jones is enough to get by (it probably is). It's pretty obvious at this point that if we did keep Jennings, we'd still look for Cobb to take that #1 spot anyway. So I'm not saying we should overpay to keep Jennings since he would basically be our #2.

I will say that if we weren't willing to pay Cullen Jenkins a pittance and if we don't spend a small amount of money for Canty or even Richard Seymour, then there's zero chance we spend actual money on Jennings. No clue who is going to take over while Jerel Worthy is out though! More garbage defense! Awesome!

Alright you convinced me, we don't need Jennings at all.

effzee

I would bet my life they dont take Geno. Lurie never goes to workouts, and not only was he at Genos but he was super public about it. They are trying to get a stupid team to trade up for him. I am worried about Revis since he just started to run again, but if it is a 2nd this year and then a conditional pick next year that isnt to bad. I really want 2 vets in the secondary, since I agree Nnamdi and DRC are gone. I dont want 2 rookies and a 2nd year CB, that would be so bad. Trade for Revis and then sign Quinn or Goldson and draft a safety+CB in the draft and the biggest weakness on the team could become a strength. I think Watkins is going to retire, so I would love to see them get a RT and let Todd go back to guard. I think they trade down and take Jordan in the draft. He seems like an athletic freak, and a great fit for the aggressive defense they say they want to run.

I would love all of that but what makes you think Watkins is retiring?

New OLINE coach mentioned how much he wants to work with him to get him back to enjoying football and playing like he should. Watkins has been a bust so far but if he can serve as a good depth player backing up Mathis and Herremans it would be a very good situation. At the very least Mudd's scheme, which he couldn't grasp, is gone so he should have an easier time.

Goldson/Quin/Landry plus Revis/Smith would be stupendous. Boner worthy!

JABEE

Yes, yes

You're a Browns fan now?

New money. :jnc

How adorable.

In other news:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...vick-cancels-appearances-after-death-threats/

ProFootballTalk said:
Eagles quarterback Michael Vick has canceled plans to appear at several book signings in the next week after organizers received death threats.

Vick had been planning to sign his autobiography, Finally Free, at bookstores in Atlanta and Philadelphia, but his publisher said all of his appearances were canceled out of concerns for safety because Vick was the target of violent threats.

“While we stand by Michael Vick’s right to free speech and the retailers’ right to free commerce, we cannot knowingly put anyone in harm’s way, and therefore we must announce the cancellation of Mr. Vick’s book-signing appearances,” Byron Williamson, president of Worthy Publishing, told PhillyMag.com. “We’ve been assured these threats of violence, which have been reported to the police, are being taken very seriously by local authorities.”

Facebook pages publicizing the book signings were flooded with vitriolic messages toward Vick, who served 21 months in prison for his role in orchestrating a dog-fighting ring. “I would go there to slit your throat knowing how you treat animals” and “I would snap your neck if I met you” were among the comments.

They also made comments about hoping his kids died. I can understand being pissed at him if you are an animal person, but the people who posted shit like that are monsters.

I will say that if we weren't willing to pay Cullen Jenkins a pittance and if we don't spend a small amount of money for Canty or even Richard Seymour, then there's zero chance we spend actual money on Jennings. No clue who is going to take over while Jerel Worthy is out though! More garbage defense! Awesome!
Ricky Jean Francois, baby!

That's who they're going to spend money on.
Less snaps for fatass Raji, better defense, less we have to pay Raji.

As much as I think Worthy is just a guy, Pickett seemed to believe in him so that counts for something.

I would love all of that but what makes you think Watkins is retiring?

New OLINE coach mentioned how much he wants to work with him to get him back to enjoying football and playing like he should. Watkins has been a bust so far but if he can serve as a good depth player backing up Mathis and Herremans it would be a very good situation. At the very least Mudd's scheme, which he couldn't grasp, is gone so he should have an easier time.

Goldson/Quin/Landry plus Revis/Smith would be stupendous. Boner worthy!

I just remember the end of last season hearing that his ankle still wasnt healed and that it was a problem going back to college. I would love for him to come back healthy though.

effzee

Top Bottom