• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

I'm not saying building through the draft is bad, what I was saying is it's hard to just totally rely on one or the other to build a team, it takes a good combination of both.
Steelers almost exclusively sign FA for depth. Building through a system is a proven tactic that perennially successful teams like the Steelers, Packers, Giants, Patriots, and Ratbirds use exclusively.

Jets release Sione Pouha and Panthers release James Anderson.

SR68Ewp.gif

What happened to him? He used to be pretty good right? Could be a nice big backup for Vince.

Draxal

The Bears are interested in the Vikings Phil Loadholt:

Looks like they'll spend their way to an offensive line considering they've also been linked to Giants guard Kevin Boothe as well.

I doubt Warmack makes to 19. Cooper is a possibility but we know what's going to happen. DE, CB or another WR.:)

Well let's be honest here, If I suggested Wilson last year you would have laughed it off (I think you did laugh it off as I preferred Wilson over Doug Martin, I think Reese/I caught the McCoy envy disease).

I have no clue in how they are going to draft this year.

And I think Warmack might drop with his issues, but its a pure preferential pick on my part. I think his weakness make him undraftable for the Giants (not that smart, and not versatile).

Well let's be honest here, If I suggested Wilson last year you would have laughed it off (I think you did laugh it off as I preferred Wilson over Doug Martin, I think Reese/I caught the McCoy envy disease).

I have no clue in how they are going to draft this year.
I laughed off a running back in general early on last year mainly because I didn't think they would bother in the early rounds. Not just Wilson. I warmed up to Doug Martin in the first because he was pro-ready and frankly if Martin was available, I still would have preferred him over Wilson. It doesn't mean I won't be cheering for David if he breaks out.

I posted up a list of first rounders in the past 6-7 years and there's definitely a pattern to what we do. DE, CB or a skill position (WR/RB). Those are the top three and I'm big into patterns/trends so I'm sticking with that.

Dragon

Banned
Wow, pranksters recorded two NFL GM's talking about FA and a few other things to boot. Bills GM Buddy Nix and Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik specifically!

http://deadspin.com/pranksters-reco...source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

They talk about the new FA rules, trade talks, Ryan Fitzpatrick etc. How does this happen? :jnc

This is so amazing. I hadn't heard of the Dominos thing before but it's genius.

Fitzpatrick must be ecstatic with their description of him.

If LJ11 were here he'd be even less bullish on Fitzmagic!

Draxal

I laughed off a running back in general early on last year mainly because I didn't think they would bother in the early rounds. Not just Wilson. I warmed up to Doug Martin in the first because he was pro-ready and frankly if Martin was available, I still would have preferred him over Wilson. It doesn't mean I won't be cheering for David if he breaks out.

I posted up a list of first rounders in the past 6-7 years and there's definitely a pattern to what we do. DE, CB or a skill position (WR/RB). Those are the top three and I'm big into patterns/trends so I'm sticking with that.

Him picking Wilson was so against the trends last year, that you would have been justified in laughing it off based on trends, and he fully admitted in the press conference afterwards saying the trends aren't what you think they are always.

I think he will be drafting on an evaluation of need + best player available, but I just see so many positions as needs right now, and the one cb that can be slotted to us it just not an ideal fit for Fewell's system (Rhodes). And the metrics they use to judge players is not well known to the public... so I'll be honest in that I have no clue in who they are going to draft. If they aren't able to resign Boothe, I think it does increase the chance of drafting a guard on that basis, but like I said this is all idealistic conjecture on my part.

Meier

TomahawkNation.com ‏@TomahawkNation
Cowherd had a stat on Q: Flacco completed 62% of his passes when he targeted Boldin, 48% to everyone else.

$120 million.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So, fellow Packers fans, what is your snack of choice as you prepare to watch the plebes bite and claw for scraps?

Pretzels.

Only thing I'm looking for Green Bay to do at this point is to get some depth on that defensive line. Makes me think that we'll try to get Richard Seymour for one season or something like Benson.

TomahawkNation.com ‏@TomahawkNation
Cowherd had a stat on Q: Flacco completed 62% of his passes when he targeted Boldin, 48% to everyone else.

$120 million.

Short passes to Boldin, deep passes to everyone else. Those percentages dont seem that surprising to me at all.

Meier

Short passes to Boldin, deep passes to everyone else. Those percentages dont seem that surprising to me at all.

Is Torrey Smith going to be the guy he goes to on short yardage passes now? Won't they have to spend at least $6m to get a guy who is going to be solid and capable enough to replicate Boldin's production?

Is Torrey Smith going to be the guy he goes to on short yardage passes now? Won't they have to spend at least $6m to get a guy who is going to be solid and capable enough to replicate Boldin's production?

Ray Rice checkdowns all day.

Hey diddle diddle, Ray Rice up the middle.

I have no idea how they will replace Boldin, he seems like a very difficult guy to replace. I am sure they think they can get someone cheaper in there or they would have kept him.

squicken

Keep seeing Rams linked to Jake Long. Why would a cap flush team let a former #1 overall LT, in his prime, hit the free agent market, if he's healthy? They wouldn't. Better be cheap

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Ugh, I thought free agency started at 12 EST not 12 PST.

A guy on NFLN just said Mike Wallace to Miami is almost a certainty.

LevelNth

Banned
Loved Tucker and Florio's analysis of the Boldin deal, and frankly, and this is damn rare, but I think I agree with Florio's theory of how it went down.

Boldin claimed loyalty to the Ravens (play for them or retire rhetoric), Baltimore tried to use that as leverage, Boldin got pissed and said no way, and Ozzie was stuck in a jam where he couldn't back off in order to save face with the rest of his negotiations, so they had to cut him. Getting the pick was simply the tiny consolation prize in what was an idiot, messed up negotiation tactic.

How do you not value Boldin at 6m per? Yes, he's 32, and yes, it's debatable as to whether he is a true #1 WR still, but he has great hands and NEVER gets injured. Easily one of the toughest WR in the game right now. To value a 2m pay cut over this is asinine IMO, and they will have a VERY hard time replacing his worth and experience at 4m per.

In a league that is seeing Mike Wallace's and Percy Harvin's and Dwayne Bowe's getting 11m+ a season, with their various issues, almost half that for a proven talent that's still damn solid is a bargain.

What's so glorious and enjoyable about this is how much this is going to expose Flacco's weaknesses right after signing that contract. I love when horrible franchises act horribly.

WedgeX

Banned
The Lions don't have to worry about drafting a kicker now.

mlive said:
After taking a few months to evaluate his situation, Detroit Lions kicker Jason Hanson has decided he'd like to play another season according to USA Today's Mike Garafolo.

"If I can't do it here, I can't do it anywhere,'' Hanson said. "I'm in a good situation where I know my routine. At my age, even if I feel like I'm at the top of my game, with a family here, just to go chase that elusive (title with another team) ... the only fun I see is if we did it here. If I play, that would be a thousand times cooler than doing something different.''

At the end of the regular season, Hanson did say money wouldn't be an issue. The veteran's minimum for a player with 10 or more years in the league is $940,000.

effzee

They can't replace Boldin. It'll be interesting to see how they fill that hole. Smith is growing into a good WR but behind him...?

They can always draft someone with size and speed. I love Boldin but he isn't a top 5 or at a point in his career where he isn't replaceable.

effzee

Why would SF go for Reed over Goldson? Money? Reed can only be a year or two rental at most.

I know Goldson has limitations but he isn't even 30 yet. Why not lock him up long term? Aren't the CBs a bigger weakness for SF?

WedgeX

Banned
Why would SF go for Reed over Goldson? Money? Reed can only be a year or two rental at most.

I know Goldson has limitations but he isn't even 30 yet. Why not lock him up long term? Aren't the CBs a bigger weakness for SF?

Maybe Harbs shook Goldson's hand too roughly and he won't return? Thus opening up Detroit's interest. Schwartz has many problems, but an overenthusiastic hand shake is not among them.

eznark

Banned
Boldin is fine but it's weird to see people pretend like he is the same guy he was three years ago. Wide outs age quickly and are a dime a dozen.

squicken

In a league that is seeing Mike Wallace's and Percy Harvin's and Dwayne Bowe's getting 11m+ a season, with their various issues, almost half that for a proven talent that's still damn solid is a bargain.

What's so glorious and enjoyable about this is how much this is going to expose Flacco's weaknesses right after signing that contract. I love when horrible franchises act horribly.

Which teams here are horrible?

LevelNth

Banned
Boldin is fine but it's weird to see people pretend like he is the same guy he was three years ago. Wide outs age quickly and are a dime a dozen.
He's not, but can you deny his impact last year and in the playoffs? I'll grant you he's no longer a #1 (if he ever truly was), but for what he can specifically bring possession-wise (strong hands, hard off the line), would you not classify him, at the very least, Top 15 in the league right now?

squicken said:
Which teams here are horrible?
Every team but the Niners.

jbug617

Banned

Reed is the backup plan if Goldson is gone (which I think he is).

Edit: apparently the Pats have not made Welker an offer yet.

Top Bottom