• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Dragon

Banned
WR problems for the Vikings are now solved.

jerome_medium_medium.gif

Tony Gonzalez is back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...nzalez-will-return-to-atlanta-falcons-in-2013

The Atlanta Falcons kept working on changing tight end Tony Gonzalez's mind, whittling away at the "95% chance" that he was going to retire. All that work has paid off.

Fox Sports insider and NFL Network contributor Jay Glazer reported Tuesday that Gonzalez has informed the Falcons that he is coming back and the two sides are working on a new contract.

"After discussing it with my family and really, truly struggling with this decision I informed the Falcons I would like to return for one more shot," Gonzalez told Glazer.

Gonzo is the best tight end available in a deep market, but he doesn't sound interested in shopping his wares to other teams. The Falcons should be prepared for this moment; they have created salary cap room by releasing veterans like Dunta Robinson, John Abraham, and Michael Turner. Gonzalez is older than all of them, but he's also playing at a Pro Bowl level.

The Falcons offense could still use a running back, but their passing game should remain dynamic with Gonzalez sandwiched between Julio Jones and Roddy White. A deal is never "done" until the ink is dry, but it would be very surprising if the Falcons can't close a deal quickly.

Alright Steeler-GAF, what's the deal with Mendy? Seemed like a stud a few seasons ago but just had injury issues last year. Do you think he'll be injury prone going forth? Is he only good with a solid OL? Or can he overcome that like SJAX? I saw some poor performances when your OL was injured but I don't think he was back to 100 percent health at that point.

Talon

As usual, the AJC is about 10 minutes late to the Tony Gonzalez story.

The sports media in Atlanta gets scooped by national outlets more than any other city in the country.

Wes

venison crêpe
Another typical day in IRC-Land:
* Chan (Chan@dork-5C4E40F0.socal.res.rr.com) has joined #nfl-gaf
<~snesfreak> Bucs GM got pranked...somehow I blame YOU people for this
<Chan> I blame your team for being horrible
<~snesfreak> So, which team let Doug Martin score four TDs?
<~snesfreak> Oh right, yours
* ~snesfreak (snesfreak@) Quit (Quit: )
* Chan (Chan@) Quit (Quit: )

squicken

As usual, the AJC is about 10 minutes late to the Tony Gonzalez story.

The sports media in Atlanta gets scooped by national outlets more than any other city in the country.

I will fight you. STL media has never once broke a Rams story. They are good with the Cardinals but I think that's more to do with the lack of a large national baseball media

Talon

P57227F.png

Tony makes it official.
I will fight you. STL media has never once broke a Rams story. They are good with the Cardinals but I think that's more to do with the lack of a large national baseball media
We have the softest media in the country. You pretty much have to pull a Mike Vick to get criticized by anyone - radio, newspaper or otherwise.

Yunel Escobar acted like an asshat for half a season, and we didn't hear anything about it in the locker room...until the team let him go. Of course.

Also I have to retire my Harvin Jerseu along with my Carter and Randle.

Shame it took me so long to find another player I liked that much only for em to turn out a cancerous malcontent.

Guess ill shop around for a Harrison Smith.

effzee

So is DRC still good and not give a shit in Philly, or is he done?

Still can keep up with the WRs and cover but has no desire or ability to tackle.

Also seems to zone out at times.

San Francisco's safety play cost them the Super Bowl and almost cost them the NFC Championship game.

And Ed Reed solves those problems? I could argue lack of the pass rush they enjoyed earlier exposed the secondary but unless you are looking to draft and develop a guy why let Goldson go? Trying to win a SB this coming season so why risk bringing in old man Reed or a rookie?

If they want to pay him they should go after some of the other known Safeties available through FA.

And Pats fans Sebastian Vollmer it is for us. Bring on dreamteam 2.0!

cdyhybrid

Jim Trotter &#8207;@SI_JimTrotter
look for a rash of anonymous or "source close to the situation"rip jobs on harvin in the next day+ from vikings. #standardoperatingprocedure

I'm watching you Slo and BannedEpisode!

effzee

@ greggrosenthal
Steelers didn't even make CB Keenan Lewis an offer before FA

Yeah some lady reporter on NFL network just said that he has a good shot of being a Brown in addition to Kruger. Mentioned how the Steelers don't think they can match his market value so they didn't even bother making an offer.

NFL Network has a nice FA show going on. Talking about the same 2-3 moves that have been made and the possible 10 moves than can be made as soon as any minute now but its pretty cool. Don't get how Tanabaum gets to be on the show as any sort of analyst.

BTW how does one become an insider for any league? Like what did Jay Glazer do to become the guy who knows everything and everyone and breaks all the news?

BigAT

Jim Trotter &#8207;@SI_JimTrotter
look for a rash of anonymous or "source close to the situation"rip jobs on harvin in the next day+ from vikings. #standardoperatingprocedure

I'm watching you Slo and BannedEpisode!

It's not like this would be the first time negative things have come out against Harvin. People have been talking about it basically his entire career since he tested positive for pot at the combine.

Wes

venison crêpe
BTW how does one become an insider for any league? Like what did Jay Glazer do to become the guy who knows everything and everyone and breaks all the news?

If it's anything like Soccer in the the UK and elsewhere, become a beat journalist or reporter for a network and as you gain access to more and more press conferences, interviews and what not you grow your contact list substantially. Eventually you will be used to leak news or misinformation in the media just as much as you'll have sources you know who can give you news.

It snowballs.

Talon

Glazer's a brochowski that won't ever publish a negative story about the NFL. And he's involved with MMA training, so apparently he has connections across the EC with athletes due to that.

Same way that Berman unofficially became the spokesperson of the NFL.

Berman has been roundly criticized in media circles for being the lapboy of the NFL, but he stopped feigning any interest in doing actual reporting sometime in the 80s.

cdyhybrid

You have to know a lot of people and have them be comfortable with them telling you stuff without risking being snitched on.

Even though it makes it harder for us, I'm glad Tony G decided to come back.

Draxal

Glazer's a brochowski that won't ever publish a negative story about the NFL. And he's involved with MMA training, so apparently he has connections across the EC with athletes due to that.

Same way that Berman unofficially became the spokesperson of the NFL.

When Strahan gets into the HOF, Glazer is going to be his presenter, it's kinda insane how tight he is with some players.

TheFatOne

Pats fans what is the word on Sebastian Vollmer? Good? Ok? Made to look good because of Brady?

I so want to get our RT from FA.
When healthy Vollmer is a stud and one of the best tackles in the game. Recently he has had some back issues. He had a down year last year due to injury but he was still good. Guy is a beast

Striker

A Haden-Lewis tandem will be pretty good; if they're also able to land Kruger and a DL (Bryant was rumored), the defense will be tough to beat. Sheard being a possible trade option makes sense since he's probably better in a 43, but once they do that they will be forced to look at yet another pass rushing OLB.

Top Bottom