• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
He's not, but can you deny his impact last year and in the playoffs? I'll grant you he's no longer a #1 (if he ever truly was), but for what he can specifically bring possession-wise (strong hands, hard off the line), would you not classify him, at the very least, Top 15 in the league right now?

If he is not a #1 then he isn't in the top 15. Like I said he's a nice player and it's a good deal, I don't get why people need to build this into some sort of monstrous swindle though.

Had he gone on the market I doubt he gets the contract he is getting right now, that's really my only point.

Every team but the Niners.
Teams that lose their last game of the year are horrible failures.

He's not, but can you deny his impact last year and in the playoffs? I'll grant you he's no longer a #1 (if he ever truly was), but for what he can specifically bring possession-wise (strong hands, hard off the line), would you not classify him, at the very least, Top 15 in the league right now?

Every team but the Niners.

I can easily think of 15 guys I would rather have.

bionic77

Don't be. The teams that win in March are never the teams that win in January. Who were the big FA signings for the Ravens, Giants and Packers the last three years?

There is no "transcendent" free agent in this class, only bodies. There isn't a Justin Smith or Charles Woodson that can literally turn around a unit by themselves.
The truth is boring.

Next you will tell him that power rankings don't mean anything or that 4 win teams with 5k qb's usually don't win the SB the next season.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Reggie Bush to the Lions looking more likely

As of right now, the Lions look to be the likely winners.

While the Cardinals seem to have a greater need, given the decision to cut Beanie Wells and intention of LaRod Stephens-Howling to hit the open market, the Lions have been without a versatile tailback since Jahvid Best’s career was derailed by an October 2011 concussion.

Goldston and Bush coming to Detroit??? Hnnnggggg

effzee

Totally useful. Comparing him to 24 year old Harvin and 26 year old Wallace is hilarious.

Depends on the team. For SF opposite VD and Craptree he is very valuable. Unlike Moss, a high character guy who will be a good leader and security blanket for Colin. Any team that thinks it can win now this coming season, Boldin for a 6th round pick at 6m a year might be more valuable than an immature injury prone problem child like Harvin who will close 10 m per year.

eznark

Banned
high character guy who will be a good leader and security blanket
lol

I can easily think of 15 guys I would rather have.

Even without Jennings he'd be a #4 in GB. That's three on one team. Obviously he wouldn't be the number one on any team except maybe St. Louis and now Minnesota? So I guess he is a top 40 WR at best. He won't get the number of targets that he got in Baltimore anywhere else.

Everyone on NFL.com seems to believe the Broncos are going to pick up Freeney and Mendenhall on free agency. I assume if everyone believe's they're getting Freeney that means they believe they're not resigning Doom.

Mendenhall might be a good pick up, I don't really follow the Steelers, but he seemed to be a good RB in the past.

Everyone on NFL.com seems to believe the Broncos are going to pick up Freeney and Mendenhall on free agency. I assume if everyone believe's they're getting Freeney that means they believe they're not resigning Doom.

Mendenhall might be a good pick up, I don't really follow the Steelers, but he seemed to be a good RB in the past.

How in favor of the Taliban are people in Denver?

My wife says the same. I don't think she means it as a compliment though!

I always knew you were Eli.

eli-manning-shirtless-pool-04022012-03-435x580.jpg

JABEE

NY Jets get set to trade Pro Bowl cornerback Darrelle Revis in effort to re-build struggling franchise, the Daily News has learned

The Jets and Darrelle Revis are headed for a divorce.
The Daily News has learned that Gang Green is poised to trade the Pro Bowl cornerback in the coming days at the right price in its first significant step to re-build the franchise.
Sources have told the News for weeks that owner Woody Johnson has no intention of signing Revis to a long-term contract extension.

Although Revis’ health complicates matters – he’s less than five months removed from ACL surgery – the best window to deal him is during free agency, which starts Tuesday at 4 p.m., before the already-select market for Revis dries up.
“I think (the Jets are) going to move Revis,” a source familiar with the situation told the News on Tuesday. “Bet it. If he isn’t traded by tomorrow, (general manager John) Idzik is an idiot. One buyer might dry out. He has to move him. The risk of keeping him kills the franchise for five years and Idzik is gone.”
ProFootballTalk.com reported on Monday night that the Jets had a “good” trade offer on the table for Revis that would satisfy the team’s desire to get sufficient draft pick compensation and the Revis camp’s need to sign a long-term deal. The report also indicated that the Revis camp was unaware of the offer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/jets-ready-deal-revis-rebuild-team-article-1.1285899

It begins. Let's do it Eagles!

Edit:

Sheil Kapadia said:
.@AdamSchefter just mentioned the Eagles as one of the teams showing interest in Dolphins OT Jake Long

https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/statuses/311508989370322944

squicken

They have an extra first rounder, trading Harvin for Cruz isn't the worst deal in the world.

The more I think about it, the more it just makes sense to use that on a draft pick. Won't get the top WR in the draft, but there will be good options. Keep that OL together and draft targets. Realistically, they are building their team for the guy who takes over for Ponder next year

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Steelers have restructured the contract of outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, saving $4.05 million against this year's salary cap. Multiple sources are reporting it Tuesday morning, just hours before the start of free agency.

A true American hero.

effzee

I live in NYC so I hear tons of the sports radio here and this morning on the fan it was hilarious to listen to just how much the Jets are fucked.

Mike Tanabaum was a terrible GM. The contracts he handed out to guys like Holmes, Sanchez (why the fuck did they extend him?), and coupled with the terrible drafts have really handicapped the franchise. Only 9 million under the cap and even that after cutting some key veterans. About 5 million, at least, of that will be set aside for the rookies they draft. They have no room to sign anyone and are left with no talent at the skill positions (WR/RB), no QB, terrible OLINE, no pass rushers, no LBs, and just one elite CB coming back from an ACL tear.

Oh and he negotiated a contract with Revis where he has a clause against being franchised. WTF?

Plus they have a terrible owner who cares more about selling tickers (Tebow and PSLs) than he does about keeping the talent they do have. They backed themselves into a corner now where they have to trade Revis.

I get why they have to trade Revis. Elite top CB but he alone can't make that D good. Especially with the pass happy league with relaxed rules to promote passing.

They have so many needs on offense and defense, in addition to QB, they have to reload with as many picks as possible and hope to build a better overall team than to keep one elite player. But then why, if you are rebuilding, do you not fire Rex? Why haven't they released Tebow yet?

What are the cap hits for releasing Holmes? I know the way they signed Sanchez they can't release him without a huge hit this season but why is Holmes still on the team?

If Izdik (sp?) somehow turns this mess around he should get the best GM of all time award. He needs to hit 3-4 homeruns this draft alone.

Dream Team blew up in flames but at least we never fucked up our cap this bad and didn't give out contracts such terrible guys who completely ruin the franchise.

WedgeX

Banned
Terrell Suggs made a movie?

The AV Club said:
The Coalition was clearly a labor of love for all involved, and a decidedly DIY affair. Suggs repeatedly points out props and wardrobe items he purchased himself—including a dress he flew overnight to Vegas to buy, and brought back to the film’s Arizona shoot the next day. Suggs’ quest to obtain the perfect dresses for his female characters becomes a running theme: Later, he tells stories about paying to have a specific Gucci dress flown in from a Neiman-Marcus in Hawaii, and advising his male lead about the sex scene he was about to film, “First and foremost, don’t rip my dress.”

Suggs’ dress obsession is indicative of the overall superficiality of the commentary, which spends the majority of its time pointing out the fancy cars, jewels, and locales on display and lauding the attractiveness of the cast, which seems to have been a major concern: “We always said that from the beginning, we want them to be beautiful, everybody be beautiful,” explains Mingo.

Commentary in a nutshell: “Remember when you bought this dress, you didn’t know what size she was, so you bought two for her?”

effzee

Pats fans what is the word on Sebastian Vollmer? Good? Ok? Made to look good because of Brady?

I so want to get our RT from FA.

LevelNth

Banned
I was just going to comment on that line. Are you calling one of the most successful teams of the last decade horrible simply because they whooped you in the Superbowl?

Yes.
Yes.

If he is not a #1 then he isn't in the top 15. Like I said he's a nice player and it's a good deal, I don't get why people need to build this into some sort of monstrous swindle though.

Had he gone on the market I doubt he gets the contract he is getting right now, that's really my only point.

Teams that lose their last game of the year are horrible failures.
I'm not talking overall, his age is too big of a hit there. I'm just talking about what he can bring as a possession receiver. Plus when all you give up is a 6th round pick and his salary is 6m, he isn't the same category as the younger, 'true' #1 guys.

I was more so comparing him to #2 equivalents. Like say Brian Hartline.

eznark

Banned
He's a really nice addition and a huge upgrade for the 49ers. Slight overpay but totally worth it is my guess. You compared him to Harvin, not me!

Godslay

Banned

Doom sounds like he's a goner. Would rather draft a guy than any other rb, save sjax.

JABEE

So is DRC still good and not give a shit in Philly, or is he done?

He still has his skills and is an athletic talent, but he kind of gave up at the end of the season like Nnamdi. He's only 26 years old. His speed and other talents haven't eroded.

bluemax

Banned
~ FRESH BROWNS HUBBUB ALERT DELIVERY COMING THROUGH! ~

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500.gif

Lot of talk on twitter about Keenan Lewis to the Browns is looking ever increasingly likely. Apparently a Pittsburgh station has been talking it up that he's sure to leave.

I hope the Browns make more moves just so I can see the gif more.

LevelNth

Banned
He's a really nice addition and a huge upgrade for the 49ers. Slight overpay but totally worth it is my guess. You compared him to Harvin, not me!
Nonsense!

In a league that is seeing Mike Wallace's and Percy Harvin's and Dwayne Bowe's getting 11m+ a season, with their various issues, almost half that for a proven talent that's still damn solid is a bargain.
I merely meant those guys are getting HUGE bucks, so it's not hard to value what Boldin brings to a table for almost half.

Pats fans what is the word on Sebastian Vollmer? Good? Ok? Made to look good because of Brady?

He had some health problems, but before that he was the best RT in the league and he can also play LT real well. I'm wish I wasn't serious, because we might lose him. Plus, he's a German.

Patriots haven't offered Welker anything yet?

They probably talked, but haven't put a real deal on the table.

In Bill we trust.

squicken

Patriots haven't offered Welker anything yet?

smh. They really hate that guy for some reason. Karaft gets putting shit out that they really want to keep him. Then he'll leave and they'll say he never gave them a chance to match or some crap

He has a ton of talent but he only plays when things are going well. When the going gets tough, DRC gets going.

Sounds like a good team will get him for cheap. Hopefully the Colts!

so many interesting tweets right now, i have to leave for a minute before all the fun starts but here are some

ProFootballCentral ‏ @ PFCentral
Colts & Browns are the biggest free agent feud right now. They are battling over several players

Daniel Wolf ‏ @ TheDanielWolf
I forget who mentioned this a few days ago but dont be surprised if # Browns trade Sheard. Anything possible w/ new regime & D transition.

Marc Sessler ‏ @ MarcSesslerNFL
@ CharleyCasserly doesn't see Banner exhausting cap, but hints TEs @ JaredCook89 + Brandon Myers might BOTH be # Brownstargets # freeagency

ProFootballCentral ‏ @ PFCentral
Teams that have called about Victor Cruz . Vikings, Rams, Patriots, Browns

Evan Sidery ‏ @ ESidery
# Colts have dropped out of the race for Andy Levitre. They're now going all-in on a pursuit of Louis Vasquez.

Dragon

Banned

Vollmer is pretty damn good but has had back issues prop up periodically. I'm not sure he's worth elite tackle money for that reason but I would be ecstatic if the Pats retained him somehow.

bluemax

Banned
Why would SF go for Reed over Goldson? Money? Reed can only be a year or two rental at most.

I know Goldson has limitations but he isn't even 30 yet. Why not lock him up long term? Aren't the CBs a bigger weakness for SF?

San Francisco's safety play cost them the Super Bowl and almost cost them the NFC Championship game.

Top Bottom