• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Ricky Jean Francois' flight is landing right now in Philly, so hopefully he will be signed by the time I get up tomorrow. No big splashy signing by the Eagles, but hopefully some good solid ones. All in all I am very happy with today.

MechDX

Wife has 3 pairs off Uggs. Got two pair last Xmas when UPS lost a pair replaced then found the first pair.

Oh and fuck Apple

MechDX

Ricky Jean Francois' flight is landing right now in Philly, so hopefully he will be signed by the time I get up tomorrow. No big splashy signing by the Eagles, but hopefully some good solid ones. All in all I am very happy with today.

Casey at TE is a GREAT pick up. His nickname here was Thor for a reason. Great hands and mentality that was never optimized by kubiak

squicken

But ermagosh he had like 20 40 yard catches and tds long ones omg omg /squicken

Aside from that, you aren't just paying a WR. You are paying to not retard the development of your QB. Name me a QB who developed into a good QB after throwing to 2012 MIA level targets his first few years?

jakncoke

Banned
All you have to do is guess the pick. There's no wrong answers (actually, there is. We rarely get anything right in here with our mock).

The further you are off though the more likely one of us is going to remember in other years and bring it up to mock you. Its all fun and games till Case picks Greg Hardy in the 1st ;)

Aside from that, you aren't just paying a WR. You are paying to not retard the development of your QB. Name me a QB who developed into a good QB after throwing to 2012 MIA level targets his first few years?

How is throwing screens or fuck it deeps going to help Tannehill develop curve? Unless they try to teach him how to run routes lol

Here's last year's again for reference:

GAF 2012 MOCK DRAFT - ROUND ONE :

Indianapolis (2-14) - LukeSmith, Narag - QB - Andrew Luck - How do you replace one of the best to ever play the position? Draft the quarterback called a "Sure Thing" by almost everyone. Andrew Luck is allegedly the total package. However, he's inheriting the reigns of the worst Indianapolis team since 1999. Thin at every position, with zero help at Tight End and Running Back, expect Indianapolis to be drafting in the Top 5 next year, too. A seven-win season in 2012 would be a triumph.

Washington (5-11) - mr2xxx, LiveWire - QB - Robert Griffin III - After trading a king's ransom to the St. Louis Rams, the Washington Redskins clearly believe that Baylor prospect Robert Griffin III, aka "RG3," is the man that can finally give the Skins stability at the quarterback position. Griffin's combination of raw athletic talent, speed, throwing strength and accuracy, field vision (as a passer and a runner), not to mention his visible leadership, charisma and work ethic clearly establish him as a can't-miss prospect. However, there remain some questions about his ability to succeed in his transition from NCAA to NFL. An ACL injury in college lurks as a potential for lingering performance issues given the assumed punishment a players' body will take at the professional level. Having spent the majority of his college career quarterbacking from shotgun/spread formations has some scouts worried whether he can fit into professional offensive schemes requiring 3-step drops and quick reads. Despite this, if ever there was a brighter future for a QB, it may only be for the man likely to be selected right before him--Stanford prospect Andrew Luck. Some even believe RG3's ceiling is potentially higher than Luck's. But let's not forget the NFL Draft history is littered with top-ranked busts, including Washington's own 1994 #3 overall draft pick Heath Shuler--a pick which the Redskins didn't have to trade two more year's worth of 1st round draft picks to acquire.

Minnesota (3-13) - Slo - T - Matt Kalil - The Minnesota Vikings draft Matt Kalil to serve as Christian Ponder's left tackle. The spot is currently held down by Charlie Johnson, but he struggled mightily last season against everyone - he'll move inside to left guard with the arrival of Kalil. The consensus on Matt Kalil amongst pro scouts is that he'll be a twelve year starter, All-Pro - type player, in the mold of Joe Thomas or Jake Long - and not that guy that the Rams drafted a few years back.

Cleveland (4-12) - Wes, hiryu - CB - Morris Claiborne

Tampa Bay (4-12) - I H8 Memes - RB - Trent Richardson - I love everybody criticizing the choice without saying who they'd pick. Reiff, overrated and not what we need on the right side. Blackmon, we are stacked at WR. LB's, C, and secondary, not worth anything higher than a 15. As I said, Bucs need Claiborne. If the real draft goes this way the Bucs are fucked and need to trade back to #13 or later where the players at positions we actually have a need at are slotted.

St. Louis (2-14) - squicken - DT - Dontari Poe - I know he's considered the top DL prospect in the draft, which is why I put him there. Tannehill will be drafted before #6, which brings Richardson in to play. The Rams would draft him or trade it to someone who wants him. They want to be somewhere 10-15 and start the run on WRs. And really, no position group busts like defensive linemen. It's almost pointless as a fan to even bother learning anything about them. The Rams drafted Quinn last year and I barely noticed him. Is he a bust? Will the new staff coach him up?

Jacksonville (5-11) - Tamanon - WR - Justin Blackmon - The Jaguars(assuming they don't somehow trade their first for Tebow(dammit)) will select with their pick Justin Blackmon, WR Oklahoma State. Thus ending his NFL career.

Miami (6-10) - Junie12 - QB - Ryan Tannehill - Since the Dolphins whiffed on Flynn, Manning and small hands, I decided to just say fuck it and draft Tannehill in the top 10. I know some Phins fans are probably angry at this pick but hear me out. There is no way that Tannehill will escape top 10 let alone top 15, there is just too many teams desperate for a QB ( looking at you Browns and Chiefs). It's similar to the Ponder pick last year. If you want your guy, then just get HIM! Even though we're not completely sold on him he is not going to cost us a fortune and what we have left to lose? If the guy doesn't work out then fine, we'll just draft a better prospect next year and the year after that until we find our guy! Plus I don't know if we're going to get Tebow or not and I don't want to leave the off-season empty handed at QB so it's better to be safe than sorry :p

Carolina (6-10) - Bowser - DT - Fletcher Cox - Let's face it - the Panthers were abysmal on defense last season. But it was truly the defensive line (as well as injuries), and particularly the tackle position, that created a ripple effect on the entire defensive unit. The Panthers played two rookie third round picks at DT, and while there were some bright spots, they were few and far between. Both starting DTs didn't offer much in the way of run support OR pass rush, essentially serving as warm bodies in the middle of the line. Cox is a strong, athletic DT (30 repetitions of 225 pounds, 4.79 seconds in the 40-yard dash), but unlike Poe (who is already off the board) and Brockers, has backed up his measurables with his on-field play in his time at Mississippi State (114 total tackles, 24.5 tackles for loss and 8.5 sacks in his career). Also, with the Panthers said to be looking to incorproate more 3-4 looks into the defense this season, Cox's versatility and athleticism should allow him to shift outside to DE when Carolina shifts to 3-4 looks.

Buffalo (6-10) - LJ11 - T - Riley Reiff - I mean there's not much to say, they don't have a LT, so they don't have a choice. Can gamble with Massey or Adams being there in the 2nd but there's a dearth of tackles in this league. Got to take one early.
Kirpatrick, Wright, Perry, Coples are all candidates but you can't stretch the field if you don't have a LT.

Kansas City (7-9) - Futurevoid - OG - David DeCastro - I doubt he drops this far but just in case this is another pic to solidify their offense of line and protect Matt Cassel. DeCastro has all the tools to be a dominant guard in the league.

Seattle (7-9) - Canuck76, Bluemax - DE - Melvin Ingram - Over the course of the few drafts Seattle has built up their defense, specifically the secondary with good success. While we've been taking on a hard nosed defensive identity, we've established ourselves at covering in the secondary and stopping the run. However our defense hasn't put great pressure on the quarter back. Ingram will change this. An explosive DE who never gives up on a play Ingram is a force to be reckoned with. Pairing him up with our already stout interior run stopping, Ingram is a quarter back hunter, using his quickness and bull rushing to reach the quarter back. One weakness he does have is his reaction time, he's usually the last one off the block. However once he gets going he's a train headed straight for the QB, showing not a lack of speed but simply bad reaction time. Some would argue for Quinton Coples at this spot but i don't think he has the maturity that a rebuilding franchise needs

Arizona (8-8) - Squall ASF, BakedPigeon - LB - Courtney Upshaw - While the Cardinals greatest need is addressing the Offensive Line, there are no tackles available worth reaching for at the 13th pick and Guard David DeCastro is off the board. The Cardinals have an upstart in OLB Sam Acho one one side and a rotational player with upside in O'Brien Schofield on the other, but would like to bring in another piece who can provide a pass rush every down at a high level. Upshaw was the Defensive MVP in the BCS Championship game on a very talented Alabama defense and will add another weapon to Ray Horton's young talented defensive unit.

Dallas (8-8) - Sviatoslav - CB - Dre Kirkpatrick - With the 14th overall pick the Dallas Cowboys select CB Dre Kirkpatrick. If anyone watched the Cowboys play last year they would know that they had a porous O-line and a horrible secondary. With Jerrah overpaying a couple scrubs in free agency to fill holes in the O-line and Decastro gone (twice!), the secondary is where the focus will be. Dre Kirkpatrick is the best secondary player available and Jerry has shown he has no problems employing (and facilitating) drug users.

Philadelphia (8-8) - yankeehater, Brinbe, JABEE - LB - Luke Kuechly - The 2011 Butkus and Lombardi award winner, Luke is consistently seen as the top middle linebacker prospect in this draft. And although there may be better draft prospects out there at this point, he absolutely fills our top need at the moment. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Luke's young, smart, and at the combine, he capably showed he had the size/athleticism to potentially compete at the next level. He's simply a solid, no-brainer pick.

New York Jets (8-8) - darkside31337 - WR - Michael Floyd - Conventional wisdom has the Jets going defense here, and there are plenty of needs to address there, but in this scenario with Floyd falling into the Jets lap they should not think twice. Mark Sanchez desperately need a target across from Santonio, one capable of stretching the field as well as providing a red zone target which is a need now with the departure of Plax, and Floyd presents a combination of speed, size and hands that is simply too good to pass up.

Cincinnati - from Oakland (8-8) - eznark - CB - Janoris Jenkins - With the 17th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select Janoris Jenkins. The Bengals were planning on picking troubled cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick and letting the even more troubled cornerback Jenkins slip later in the round. However, Cincinnati drafts for need and does not care about character issues. Jenkins is arguably the best pure corner in the draft, and given that they have two picks in the first this year they can afford to gamble on talent and hope Marvin Lewis' extremely soft, cupcake like love will allow the kid to flourish. Or at least that he won't get himself stabbed by one of his baby-mamma's before becoming an impact player.

San Diego (8-8) - Nightz - DE - Nick Perry - The Chargers select Nick Perry. One thing that was quite obvious this past season was the lack of a pass rush. The Chargers could not get off the field or bring pressure on crucial third down situations, giving opposing QB's enough time to make plays. Perry will be brought in to play OLB and tasked with getting to the quarterback. This pick will also reunite Perry with coach Joe Barry, the former linebackers coach at USC who was hired by the Chargers this offseason.

Chicago (8-8) - yacobod, cuevas, PhD. - DE - Quinton Coples - With the 19th selection of the NFL-GAF Mock Draft, the Chicago Bears select defensive end Quinton Coples. The 6'5" 284 lb DE from North Carolina will be the perfect bookend opposite of fellow Tarheel Julius Peppers. The Chicago Bears have been looking for another outside pass rusher to take the pressure off of Peppers after failing to sign Mario Williams in free agency. The Bears are getting great value with Coples sliding down to the 19th pick of the draft.

Tennessee (9-7) - Futurevoid (sorry MOB and sf2fanatic, your 4 hours passed) - DT - Michael Brocker With the loss of Jason Jones, the Titans need to address the middle of their line. Brocker is raw but has a good deal of upside with an impressive frame. Jerel Worthy was another possible selection here as was a pass rusher like Whitney Mercilus (to improve the 31st ranked pass rush) but I think the upside Brocker has will appeal to the Titans.

Cincinnati* (9-7) - eznark - DT - Devon Still - Again, this is going by the general Bengals (idiotic) mantra of drafting for need instead of best available. The Bengals need some size and depth up front. Peko and Hayden aren't terrible, but they aren't world beaters either. Devon Still will fit in great! Coming from Pedo State, he was able to feast on shitty teams and disappear against strong opponents...just like the Bengals! He is strong, has a quick burst off the line and showed an ability to beat doubles (when he wanted to). He was marginally effective against the run and excelled as an interior pass rusher. Put him on a line with Peko, Dunlap and Geathers and he could be pretty damn special. He's also considered "NFL ready" which is a plus since that division is abject garbage and winnable immediately.

Cleveland - from Atlanta* (10-6) - Wes, hiryu *skipped* Futurevoid - WR Kendall Wright. They need weapons for Colt Mccoy who has nothing around him in the way of playmakers.

Detroit* (10-6) - Doorman, goldlion054, Plinko, beast786, Agent Icebeezy, PhoenixDark - OT - Jonathan Martin - Let's be realistic--this guy is gone WELL before this slot in the real draft. But, for now, we take the steal of the draft. A 6-6, 305-pound talent who shows great skill at both run and pass blocking. He did a great job protecting the blind side of the #1 pick in this year's draft, Andrew Luck, throughout his college career.The Lions would probably choose to groom him on the right side of the line after re-signing Jeff Backus and will let him take over the LT position next year. Some scouts believe Martin is even more talented and has more upside than both Matt Kalil and Riley Reiff, the other big names at the offensive tackle position in this draft. Overall, a solid lineman who should be an anchor for an NFL offensive line for years to come.

Pittsburgh* (12-4) - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, AngmarsKing701 - LB - Dont'a Hightower - Linebacker U is short on Linebackers. how did this happen? Dont'a would fit in right away, is a stud with good sideline to sideline range, and would be a monster next to the already dominant Steelers linebacking corps. The Steelers were missing a lot last year, but chief among that was fear. Dont'a here will bring some of that shit back. He's easily the best still available.

Denver* (8-8) - Godslay - DT - Jerrel Worthy - My reasoning is, at this point we really don't have a DT. Broderick Bunkley is still a FA, our run defense is terrible, and the two guys who I was really eyeing (Still and Cox) are gone. We have no real depth at this position, and I think that Worthy allows us to have a player that will be an instant contributor. I feel that this is the safe pick assuming that Denver doesn't end up shifting to an offensive bent.

Houston* (10-6) - Vyer - WR - Reuben Randle - Texans' biggest need with an aging/injured AJ and only Kevin Walter and MOTHERFUCKING JACOBY JONES to pick up the slack. Of course, that was before the Texans lost half their Oline in this amazing offseason. So maybe they go there with this pick. Maybe not. Shit, how the fuck should I know.

New England - from New Orleans* (13-3) - Dutch Patriot, Alligatorjandro, Case, ActStriker, Bread - S - Mark Barron - Barron was a key to one of the great college defenses and is the best safety in this draft bar none. He has great size, great hands and is really physical. He can play the run and the pass really well and is groomed by Nick Saban so he knows defense. The Pats have a glaring need at safety so he makes perfect sense next to Pat Chung. He will also give McCourty the confidence to play like he did in his first year, McCourty played scared because playing a receiver at safety just doesn’t work.

Green Bay* (15-1) - eznark, Buckethead, mastershake, TheLegendary, brentech, Greg, wienke - LB/DE Whitney Mercilus - Packers are bound to fill pdeparted C Scott Well's position with the flexible Evan Dietrich-Smith.
The Pack badly needed to generate pressure in the 2011 season so hopefully Merciless will aid the Packers ailing pass-rush and provide Defensive Coordinator Don Capers to mix up stud LB Clay Matthews a little more at the hollowed Lando Field.

Baltimore* (12-4) - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato - OG/C - Peter Konz - With Grubbs gone and Matt Birk declining we need help on the interior line. Konz will play LG till next season when Birk gets cut or loses the jobs. And with Knoz being the best player at the position no way doesn't Ozzie not snatch him up.

San Francisco* (13-3) - methodman, FrenchMovieTheme, LevelNth - OG - Cordy Glenn - With the departure of guards Chilo Rachal and Adam Snyder, Glenn has the opportunity to make an immediate impact, with only one RG on the roster. He adds mass and athleticism to a line that overall is solid, but has always lacked a game changer at right guard.

New England* (13-3) - Dutch Patriot, Alligatorjandro, Case, ActStriker, Bread - DE - Vinny Curry - We might be reaching a bit here, but we don’t care. Vinny Curry from Marshall could be the solution to our pass rush problem. He has great size, great speed and he never quits. With his size he can play in either the 3-4 or the 4-3 and he has great knowledge of defenses. He shows up in big games and is a great leader for his team (current team captain) something that Bill loves in his players.

New York Giants* (9-7) - Futurevoid, Wellington, Striker, BigAT, The Frankman - OT - Mike Adams - Some analysts have Adams ranked above Glenn and a majority felt that he fit the BPA tag and addressed a massive need with Kareem Mckenzie being shown the door. The Giants have OT James Brewer on the roster as well who's been developing for a season as well so Adams can add depth. Some of his weaknesses should be masked by moving him to the right side of the line and Pat Flaherty, the Giants offensive line coach can help coach him through the inconsistencies he's shown in his college career. Some "off the field" issues shouldn't be too much of a concern as the Giants have shown the ability to look past those in drafting guys like Marvin Austin. The fact that he's played the LT position also provides added depth for the Giants moving forward with a successful move to RT for him.

Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
At least four other teams have interest in # Steelers DB Keenan Lewis, but # Browns have had nothing but initial contact to this pt

Ugh. I'm so disgusted with last year's choice. Even the writeup sucks. It's what I wanted, not what Hightower was.

Not doing that again this year.

Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
At least four other teams have interest in # Steelers DB Keenan Lewis, but # Browns have had nothing but initial contact to this pt
I call bullshit. So much interest, yet not a peep out of anyone?

Steelers corners usually don't fare well on the open market either. It's okay booger, come on home.

Casey at TE is a GREAT pick up. His nickname here was Thor for a reason. Great hands and mentality that was never optimized by kubiak

Just saw an interview with him, I am excited to see how Chip will use him. He talked about moving all over the filed and being happy to do anything.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
All you have to do is guess the pick. There's no wrong answers (actually, there is. We rarely get anything right in here with our mock).

If the fans picking before our pick were correct, we would never miss. One of these days
next year
the Steelers will pick first and this shit will be easy.

maybe it's the cough medicine but am I crazy for thinking DHB could be a decent pick up for the Skins as a deep threat for Griff? What am I saying Aldrickson is probably already better.

ChanHuk

Banned
maybe it's the cough medicine but am I crazy for thinking DHB could be a decent pick up for the Skins as a deep threat for Griff? What am I saying Aldrickson is probably already better.

DHB is no deep threat...........He's an extremely fast "possession" receiver that lacks the "possession" part, he's got horrible hands but man I loved his work ethics. If he wasn't making first round money pre-cap, he'd still be on the Raiders. If used properly as an underneath kinda guy and if he would catch balls, he'd be a great WR because he's huge for a WR 6'2" 210lbs and runs a 4.3. He was definitely a pure Al Davis pick.

Good on the Texans for finally dumping Walter. MechDX must be happy

Broncos trying to sign Mendenhall? :jnc
Heyward-Bey finally cut by the Raiders? :jnc
Dolphins about to pay big for Wallace? :jnc

Good times. A shame the Steelers are a goddamn mess though. Can we draft a bulletproof vest for Ben? Make it two, I think we resigned Plaxico

How is throwing screens or fuck it deeps going to help Tannehill develop curve? Unless they try to teach him how to run routes lol
It's simple, man. Having a guy like Wallace opens up the offense because the defense suddenly has to respect the deep ball. All of a sudden Hartline isn't being covered by a team's best CB, Bess has more room to work, the box isn't constantly loaded with eight guys, and Tannehill's arm strength can actually be put to use. On top of that, you help your young RB Lamar Miller by keeping the defense honest.

Obviously Wallace will be expected to improve as a route runner and in the other fundamental areas he's lacking in. But the point is, this offense is screwed without a guy like Wallace, just like last year, which is why the team was set up for a move like this once Ireland realized he didn't have a replacement for Marshall.

I'm not saying all of this will work out exactly as planned, but the plan is pretty easy to figure out.

eznark

Banned
Holy shit:

Bears sign OT Jermon Bushrod (5 years, $36M; $17.7M guaranteed): Z- Grade
I can't take this signing seriously, so I'm not grading it seriously either. The fact that the Bears think they're actually upgrading J'Marcus Webb at left tackle by obtaining Jermon Bushrod is an absolute joke. In fact, I really don't think the front office has watched a second of Bushrod's tape.

Bushrod allowed tons of pressures every week. The reason his sack total was so low was because Drew Brees released the ball so quickly. Bushrod's sack numbers will increase exponentially as he's trying to block for Jay Cutler. That means Cutler will likely miss multiple games due to injury yet again. The Bears would be better off with Webb manning the blind-side position again. I find it so ridiculous that an NFL front office would pay so much money to a pedestrian player.

LevelNth

Banned
He bashes any former niners player that won't resign with them, what do you think he will say about a player who has never been on the niners.
Hey hey hey, I'm not bashing Goldson, Grant or McBath, and they most likely won't re-sign with us.

I'm only bashing the overrated ones who are getting overpaid by other FO's.

eznark

Banned
Hey hey hey, I'm not bashing Goldson, Grant or McBath, and they most likely won't re-sign with us.

I'm only bashing the overrated ones who are getting overpaid by other FO's.

You realize pretty much everyone disagrees with you and thinks Bushrod is essentially shit, right?

LevelNth

Banned
Yet you praised him for some bizarre reason.
Lol this is the second time you've stated I've said something I haven't. For a message board solely reliant upon reading...

His loss is a hurt to the continuity of the Saints line, which I think and will hope will be their downfall.

Other than that I could care less about Bushrod or how he affects the Bears; it's an irrelevant division in the NFC.

eznark

Banned
Lol this is the second time you've stated I've said something I haven't. For a message board solely reliant upon reading...

His loss is a hurt to the continuity of the Saints line, which I think and will hope will be their downfall.

Other than that I could care less about Bushrod or how he affects the Bears; it's an irrelevant division in the NFC.

lol they can sign Webb for league minimum and come out way, way ahead.

Top Bottom