• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Arizona and Buffulo sitting next to each other In the draft at 7 & 8 both seemingly needing Qbs, if they both fall in love with a person we could see a trade up.

I will legit sue the Ravens and move them back to Cleveland if this happens.

Seriously. I don't even know how some of these could even consider it. There's nothing but fucking abhorrence between these teams. You really can't sign with one after making a career with the other.

Likewise, I wouldn't want Ed Reed signing with the Steelers. GTFO.

bionic77

Seriously. I don't even know how some of these could even consider it. There's nothing but fucking abhorrence between these teams. You really can't sign with one after making a career with the other.

I would be ok making Reed a homeless guy in the city.

But fuck him playing for us.

ChanHuk

Banned
Sorry bro, he's coming back to Baltimore. He's not what he was, but when healthy, he's an upgrade over Kruger. Sorry Brownies.

And as for Ellerbe, I'm not phased. Jameel McClain is coming back and he's better. Still need one more ILB, but Ozzie will grab a stud in the middle rounds. Shit, Ellerbe was undrafted.

You guys can have our criminal Rolando McClain. He would be a good replacement for your retired criminal.

Looked good despite having Eli to throw him the ball.
He'll no doubt find his true potential with diabetes throwing him the ball. When he gets mouthy, Marty can shove a candy bar in his face and bribe the offensive lineman with some of that 20 million to "miss" blocks to get back at him (which to them means "do your job").

Godslay

Banned
Terrance Knighton deal almost done apparently. Guess his nickname is Pot Roast. :jnc

I'm also warming up to the idea of Mendenhall, he's still young and hopefully cheap.

cajunator

Banned
All you have to do is guess the pick. There's no wrong answers (actually, there is. We rarely get anything right in here with our mock).

Oh ok. Add me to the list then.

Holy shit:

Yeah that's um.....
Good luck with that I suppose.
Jermon was a turnstyle. He would fit in well with the Steelers Oline. The only problem is he was at least serviceable, so who will take his place? But he wasn't worth a contract like that. Bears done goofed.

minx

8 million guaranteed is pretty good for Bennett based off his performance last year. Huge upgrade over Kellen Davis who was making 2.5 million a year. Don't fall down on your way out Kellen. Not as thrilled with the Bushrod signing. Back loaded contract though as he only counts 3.5 million against the cap this year.

I guess since nobody else has brought their name up for the Vikings picks I can do it. I mean its pretty much just Slo, me and smokeymicpot these days anyway.

Us fans hate each other, but I'm sure there is a ton of mutual respect between the players. Although, I can't think of anyone but Kordell Stewart that has played for both. Harrison doesn't count.

Yet.

Us fans hate each other, but I'm sure there is a ton of mutual respect between the players. Although, I can't think of anyone but Kordell Stewart that has played for both. Harrison doesn't count.

Yet.

You forgot about Rod Woodson! And Dennis Dixon....well, he never actually appeared in a real game for you guys, did he?

edit: More likely to draft successor at QB: SD or PITT? Steelers notably not restructuring Big Ben

Ben is here as long as he can still play football. If anything we just need a backup that can actually play, but we have 100000000 other needs on both sides of the ball. They just need to bury Charlie Batch in the undertaker's casket and pick up some late round guy

Rivers, on the other hand... Chargers will jump at someone else if they found a steal in the draft, but can't imagine they would put Rivers in a timeshare. Probably would just get some speculative picks and redshirt them

Article in Milwaukee paper. GB wants SJAX, but at their price. Afraid his preference is ATL, and won't be leveraged. But TT has always liked SJAX. Just playing poker right now. So is Dimitroff, probably. No reason to break bank, despite how much he thinks he's worth
There's the Ted I know and love.

squicken

Ben is here as long as he can still play football. If anything we just need a backup that can actually play, but we have 100000000 other needs on both sides of the ball. They just need to bury Charlie Batch in the undertaker's casket and pick up some late round guy

People will think I am trolling, but I'm not. Tomlin could find himself on the hot seat if the year goes bad. PITT can finally cut Ben after this year and, while taking a hit, still save money. They have not restructured his deal. They are at least leaving open the option of cutting him

People will think I am trolling, but I'm not. Tomlin could find himself on the hot seat if the year goes bad. PITT can finally cut Ben after this year and, while taking a hit, still save money. They have not restructured his deal. They are at least leaving open the option of cutting him

Why bother? Ben's play hasn't been degrading. He just gets killed on the field. If anything he should have a pretty long career due to his wolverine-like healing factor. No matter how bad Tomlin has it the team will never cut the QB to save money unless his career is over. We all remember the Kordell days.

Unless we get an Russell Wilson level talent in a future draft I really can't imagine the team dropping Ben until he's what, 38? He'll retire a Steeler unless his arm really goes in the tank

well shut my mouth. Still can cut him next year and save, but if they restructured him, that seems unlikely. thanks for the info

I do think Tomlin might be on the hot seat if the team tanks though. As for Ben, they've pretty much proven that they will stick with him through pretty much anything. I think only a serious injury gets them to get rid of him.

squicken

Why bother? Ben's play hasn't been degrading. He just gets killed on the field. If anything he should have a pretty long career due to his wolverine-like healing factor. No matter how bad Tomlin has it the team will never cut the QB to save money unless his career is over. We all remember the Kordell days.

Unless we get an Russell Wilson level talent in a future draft I really can't imagine the team dropping Ben until he's what, 38? He'll retire a Steeler unless his arm really goes in the tank

Yeah I was way off. My sense is that PITT is due for a down year, and historically, the Rooneys demand blood from the coaching staff when that happens. Figured that Tomlin's time might be up, but on Ben, I was very wrong. Maybe the GM is the one who pays?

Just don't like the roster there. Going to need to find that pass rusher somewhere. Keep aging in secondary. Need that impact player they always used to find

Yeah I was way off. My sense is that PITT is due for a down year, and historically, the Rooneys demand blood from the coaching staff when that happens. Figured that Tomlin's time might be up, but on Ben, I was very wrong. Maybe the GM is the one who pays?

Ben has two rings, to the Rooney's he is basically family. He would need to go on a full-on, Plax style media binge to sour them. If anything I think the team thinks more of Ben these days for playing in generally ridiculous conditions. If he wasn't a medical marvel with painkilling shots he could have retired already.

Just don't like the roster there. Going to need to find that pass rusher somewhere. Keep aging in secondary. Need that impact player they always used to find

Nor do I. Wallace was problematic but he was a good deep threat. Now we've got Antonio Brown, a maybe in Emmanuel Sanders and then Plax and Cotchery as veteran backups, basically no running game and our OL is still basically leaking like the Titanic. The team is great at making mid level guys play better (especially on defense) so I'm sure we'll do alright in the draft but we just don't have enough picks. Two in every round doesn't even feel like enough.

My guess is we end up signing some cheap FAs once the post-draft desperation settles in, but long term it may be better to tank hard for a year. What pick did we draft Ben with? 11?

Wanted to chime in on the Browns activity today.

Kruger - Good signing. Expensive, yes, but when you're getting a top 5 FA, expect to spend, and the Browns have money. While not as naturally gifted, the Browns have a good young defense, especially at D-line around him to help him thrive. 8 Million isn't all that bad with all the talk of 10 million a year you first heard.

Bryant - Amazing signing. Sure, D-line wasn't a weakness, now it's a fantastic strength. You can never have too many good lineman, and now they can rotate them out and keep them fresh. Bryant is young and just entering his prime. Not only can he stop the run but also Collapse the pocket. The asking price was well worth it in this case.

What I'd like to see still is Lewis from Pittsburgh, or the RG Schwartz. TE I'm upset Cook is gone, but I'd be pretty happy with Myers or even Keller. Finish it by signing Jason Campbell or someone like Vince Young to give Weeden a good QB competition.

What I'd like to see still is Lewis from Pittsburgh, or the RG Schwartz. TE I'm upset Cook is gone, but I'd be pretty happy with Myers or even Keller. Finish it by signing Jason Campbell or someone like Vince Young to give Weeden a good QB competition.
What do you think about Fitz in the competiton?

Nor do I. Wallace was problematic but he was a good deep threat. Now we've got Antonio Brown, a maybe in Emmanuel Sanders and then Plax and Cotchery as veteran backups, basically no running game and our OL is still basically leaking like the Titanic. The team is great at making mid level guys play better (especially on defense) so I'm sure we'll do alright in the draft but we just don't have enough picks. Two in every round doesn't even feel like enough.

My guess is we end up signing some cheap FAs once the post-draft desperation settles in, but long term it may be better to tank hard for a year. What pick did we draft Ben with? 11?

I think the OL will shape up to be a +, they've had the most young prospects they've had there in quite some time. They do need to find a decent RB though.

I am worried about that D though. Too many if's....If Woodley gets back into form and stays healthy. If Troy stays healthy. If they find somebody to start alongside Ike. If Worilds doesn't suck or they manage to find somebody to beat him out. If the young guys on the DL can step up and keep up the heritage of stuffing the run and freeing up the LBs.

And yeah, Ben was an 11th pick.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
If anyone honestly think that Tomlin will be on the "hot seat", they're morons. The Rooneys aren't the kind to panic, even if that's what the fans will do. Tomlin will be allowed to completely overhaul the team and given another run, so maybe in 6-8 years, he'll be in trouble.

Striker

Bryant - Amazing signing. Sure, D-line wasn't a weakness, now it's a fantastic strength. You can never have too many good lineman, and now they can rotate them out and keep them fresh. Bryant is young and just entering his prime. Not only can he stop the run but also Collapse the pocket. The asking price was well worth it in this case.
Doesn't Phil Taylor have a year left on his deal? Rubin is making a good penny himself, so they could be making a big decision between those two. That would have been my only question mark about the amount they signed Bryant for.

Hopefully there's something new for the Giants today regarding some OL (Diehl, Boothe).

Doesn't Phil Taylor have a year left on his deal? Rubin is making a good penny himself, so they could be making a big decision between those two. That would have been my only question mark about the amount they signed Bryant for.

Hopefully there's something new for the Giants today regarding some OL (Diehl, Boothe).

Both Rubin and Taylor are signed for this season and next. Taylor would have the better trade value with his friendlier contract.

While you could get something decent in a trade for either guy, I don't think it's smart to get rid of either guy as Taylor did miss 8 games last season and you finally have good depth with Winn and Hughes in the mix as well.

To me, I could see Sheard actually being the one moved, as we're not too certain how he'll adapt to playing in space as a 3-4 OLB.

All this makes the Browns draft pick at 6 very interesting. It also remains to be seen if they sign a vetern corner here, as Millner may be on the board as well.

As a Raider fan, McKenzie is doing the right thing, but it's pretty painful to see. This mess totally needed to be torn down and rebuilt the right way, no more band-aids signed to bloated contracts trying to fix glaring holes that at best will lead to an 8-8 record. While we are getting our spring cleaning done early, lets go ahead and cut Palmer so we can start to get out from his albatross contract as well. I only hope someone gets infatuated with a guy in the draft so the Raiders can trade back and pick-up more picks. There is little doubt in my mind the Raiders will be drafting first overall next year with our eyes set on Clowney or a franchise QB

I wonder what stage of grief Jennings is in after realizing nobody wants a semi old, semi oft-injured WR for 10+ million.

Come back home Greg, we'll forgive you for your transgressions.

Derp, was supposed to edit my last post.

Adam Schefter said:
Cleveland back at it bright and early: Browns reached agreement with former Cardinals LB Quentin Groves.

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500.gif

SonnyBoy

I saw a blurb that Bush has a visit with the Redskins after he meets with the Lions... #shrug I doubt he'll come, or that we can afford him. But a backfield with Morris, Bush and RGIII sounds pretty good.

Top Bottom