• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Kiryu

Those teams were good to years ago. The Rams were 2-14. Lot of ground to make up. Sucks that SEA keeps doing great moves but possible to catch SF in a couple of years
Seahawks were only "half game" behind SF 49ers to take NFC WEST crown. It's highly possible that SEA and SF will be NFL's best team in couple of years. Only SF can counter against SEA/Percy Trade is their 16 draft picks.

Seahawks were only "half game" behind SF 49ers to take NFC WEST crown. It's highly possible that SEA and SF will be NFL's best team in couple of years. Only SF can counter against SEA/Percy Trade is their 16 draft picks.

i love the percy trade. gave up too many picks and paid too much money for a lockerroom cancer

eznark

Banned
Thank you, sir. I probably didn't notice it.

I think he is getting a little punch drunk:

Colts sign OT Gosder Cherilus (5 years, $34M; $10M guaranteed): MILLEN Grade
Gosder Cherilus was solid last year, but he hasn't always played well. He's struggled for the most part ever since being chosen in the first round of the 2008 NFL Draft by Matt Millen. Cherilus has just been a borderline starter overall, so it's only fitting that this gets a Millen grade.

What the hell are the Colts thinking? Don't they actually want to make sure Andrew Luck is protected? There were so many quality right tackles available like Andre Smith and Sebastian Vollmer, so why bring in Cherilus for a ton of money? It's almost like they took advice from Millen himself.

eznark

Banned
Been waiting for this one:

Colts sign OLB Erik Walden (4 years, $17.5M; $8.6M guaranteed): MILLEN ON DEER ANTLER KIELBASA SPRAY Grade
This was the worst signing of the first day of free agency, which is saying a lot because a number of dumb moves were made.

What the hell are the Colts thinking? Erik Walden is borderline rosterable. He was so bad in Green Bay that I had numerous Packer fans e-mail me about how thrilled they were to finally be getting rid of him. Walden does absolutely nothing positive on the football field. He shouldn't have been signed for $1.75 million, let alone $17.5 million.

I have no doubt that Matt Millen kidnapped Colts' general manager Ryan Grigson, locked him in a closet, drenched both of them with deer antler kielbasa spray and then made this signing on his own. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that.

squicken

Just saying, Gigson nailed the draft last year. Not just Luck. I also watched the Packers not look too hot at times on defense. I'm going to trust that he sees something there that others don't

Now, maybe he grossly over-paid to get his guy. Walden said it was only for 4m guaranteed. Not exactly ruinous

Been waiting for this one:
Walden is a decent enough pass rush when the other size of the field is stacked.

Obviously a dramatic overpay (what is guaranteed $$$?) but he's less shitty than people say.

He'll burn out 8 weeks into the season if given full reps.

eznark

Banned
Walden is a decent enough pass rush when the other size of the field is stacked.

Obviously a dramatic overpay (what is guaranteed $$$?) but he's less shitty than people say.

Lol, he was first on the chopping block is Bishop was able to come off of IR. He is useless and a wife beater. Good riddance.

DHB is no deep threat...........He's an extremely fast "possession" receiver that lacks the "possession" part, he's got horrible hands but man I loved his work ethics. If he wasn't making first round money pre-cap, he'd still be on the Raiders. If used properly as an underneath kinda guy and if he would catch balls, he'd be a great WR because he's huge for a WR 6'2" 210lbs and runs a 4.3. He was definitely a pure Al Davis pick.

So in other words, if he could catch the football, he'd be a great receiver haha. He's also terrible with his routes, probably accounted for half of Carson's INT total. He is a big tough guy tho, with a great work ethic. Kinda surprised he didn't take a paycut and stay around, but maybe they wanted to upgrade, and with Streater outplaying him, it made him expendable.

squicken

Walden guarantee "only" 4m, but no idea what year two cap hit is if cut

effzee

Don't know what to expect of the Eagles signings.

We might still sign Francois but of all the DBs and Safeties available Fletcher and Chung were not even on the radar for me. Hopefully this doesn't mean they are done upgrading those positions because they still need another starter at both spots but I guess for that they will just draft rather sign one of the remaining FAs.

Why Chung over Quin or Goldson? Money?

Same with Fletcher. Most beat writers made it seem like Smith was almost a certainty.

Meh bring on the draft.

Lol, he was first on the chopping block is Bishop was able to come off of IR. He is useless and a wife beater. Good riddance.
Says who?

Who was going to play OLB then? Jones? Zombo?

QrnIB8bm.jpg

Moses is the only somewhat competent guy at OLB on the Packers roster outside of Maffews.

After Nick Perry shows everyone what a joke he is this year, people will be begging to have Walden back.

Begging. Like a dog.

Says who?

Who was going to play OLB then? Jones? Zombo?

QrnIB8bm.jpg

Moses is the only somewhat competent guy at OLB on the Packers roster outside of Maffews.

After Nick Perry shows everyone what a joke he is this year, people will be begging to have Walden back.

Begging. Like a dog.
Every guy mentioned in your post (except Perry, who the jury is out on) is a chip off the same training-camp-fodder block. Swapping one in for Walden is a non-issue because all of them, including Walden (especially Walden), suck.

Giants too cheap to offer him 2 million a year. I'll take him for that price.
5.25 million/yr average. Though I suppose up your goiing off of the guaranteed money....

He's a solid player. Qualiity blocker and can develop into a good receiver which he's still a bit inconsistent. Funny guy, too. Other priorities for the team that needed the money.

BigAT

Players hardly get the full contract. I only count guaranteed money.

Players hardly get the full contract, but you use the full contract length for division? Serious amounts of Bobmath going on here.

Didn't the Bears pass on giving Bennett a multi-year deal and signed Davis instead? Some Chicago reporter tweeted that earlier today.

Last season? It wouldn't surprise me. No one really wanted Bennett last year (Giants managed to get him for just a one-year, $2.5M deal) and his value only went up this year after he looked good in the Giants system.

Stay away from him!

Sorry bro, he's coming back to Baltimore. He's not what he was, but when healthy, he's an upgrade over Kruger. Sorry Brownies.

And as for Ellerbe, I'm not phased. Jameel McClain is coming back and he's better. Still need one more ILB, but Ozzie will grab a stud in the middle rounds. Shit, Ellerbe was undrafted.

bionic77

Sorry bro, he's coming back to Baltimore. He's not what he was, but when healthy, he's an upgrade over Kruger. Sorry Brownies.

And as for Ellerbe, I'm not phased. Jameel McClain is coming back and he's better. Still need one more ILB, but Ozzie will grab a stud in the middle rounds. Shit, Ellerbe was undrafted.
I will legit sue the Ravens and move them back to Cleveland if this happens.

Mrbob

Last season? It wouldn't surprise me. No one really wanted Bennett last year (Giants managed to get him for just a one-year, $2.5M deal) and his value only went up this year after he looked good in the Giants system.

Looked good despite having Eli to throw him the ball.

brentech

Walden got the playing time, but I don't really see a difference between him and Zombo. Jones I don't think stands a chance to be successful on the outside, much less inside.

They all really are just replaceable cogs, albeit bad, cogs in the system.
Minus a few good plays here and there like most any NFL player that gets to take the field.

Top Bottom