• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Derp, was supposed to edit my last post.

tumblr_me0j3gqbl71rr18jao1_500.gif

Good depth signing! Early bird gets the worm, something something still tons of cap space.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Adam Schefter ‏ @ AdamSchefter
Lions would like to swoop in and sign all three FA visitors today: RB Reggie Bush, S Glover Quin, DE Jason Jones. Lions team to watch today.

Striker

Browns be filling holes. Also hearing murmurs Browns will fill CB and TE holes within 24 hours.
I do like the Browns 3-4 setup so far

Rubin-Taylor-Bryant at DL
Kruger-Jackson-?-Groves at LB

And I'm assuming they'll be targeting either Brandon Myers at TE. Dustin Keller would then be the best TE left in the market.

And I'm assuming they'll be targeting either Brandon Myers at TE. Dustin Keller would then be the best TE left in the market.

Let's not forget about Jabaal Sheard.

I somehow felt this was needed in this thread.

tumblr_lok5mgsMho1qld4llo1_400.gif

She's purdy.

Yep it's looking great, Hughes and Winn for DL rotation, James Michael Johnson will make a push for some good playtime at ILB this year I feel. We'll see how Sheard does, this gives the Browns more flexibility for him, or possibly a trade.

I could see Cocong possibly being cut, freeing up more cap space for the Browns, same with Usama Young

I'd much prefer Myers to Keller, With Chud being a TE guru, could get some real spectacular production from him.

I really like what the Browns have done so far in FA. I wonder if they will sign Fitz, he is a definite upgrade over Weeden and he shouldnt cost a ton. I really can see the Browns with Fitz competing for a playoff spot in what should be a weak division this year.

I really like what the Browns have done so far in FA. I wonder if they will sign Fitz, he is a definite upgrade over Weeden and he shouldnt cost a ton. I really can see the Browns with Fitz competing for a playoff spot in what should be a weak division this year.

Ugh. Fitz is not the Browns' answer. He's a stop gap, a journeyman. We don't need someone like him to push us over the top. We're still trying to develop Weeden. I'd much rather someone like Jason Campbell or Chase Daniel, to give Weeden a Camp competition, or dare I say, a trade for Mallet.

squicken

Wallace ended up with 30m guaranteed. Probably two years like everything else

Squicken you need to curb your obsession with cutting and firing everyone.

Look at what the Raiders are doing. The best way to rebuild is to take the big bad. I was wrong about been, and I am not saying that Tomlin will be fired. But tell me I am wrong that the Rooneys haven't demanded accountability after a bad year?

squicken

RT @ArmandoSalguero: P Wheeler visited Miami as UFA on 3-24-12, didn't sign. Went to Oakland for $700K. Miami got him Tues for $26M

Rams gave Cook 19m guaranteed. For a TE!! Unreal

For reference, Gronk got 13m guaranteed on his extension. Cook got WR money

Draxal

Look at what the Raiders are doing. The best way to rebuild is to take the big bad. I was wrong about been, and I am not saying that Tomlin will be fired. But tell me I am wrong that the Rooneys haven't demanded accountability after a bad year?

I'll be honest, I think the Giants are going to have a bad year this year as well, however I see the Steelers/Giants in a similiar situation they're in retooling years and not rebuilding. You're not rebuilding when you have an Eli or Ben in their prime.

The do demand accountability. They also know that to maintain a consistent winner you don't start lopping off heads for a poor season.

Talent is getting old. Not much Tomlin can do about that. Cowher had 3 consecutive losing seasons with no fear of reprisal. Owenership had faith in him and knew the team was building a winner.

Steelers nation is used to winning but we've had it good the past 10 years. Maybe another poor season or two will cull all the fairweather fans.

Wes

venison crêpe
"Sources tell the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Eagles have pulled out of the Darrelle Revis trade talks.

The Jets are reportedly in talks with the Bucs and another mystery team. That unknown organization is not the Eagles. Although they have a need at corner and plenty of cap space, GM Howie Roseman is clearly wary of breaking the bank in the free-agency market once again after the failed "Dream Team" experiment of 2011. He made a sharp, cost-effective deal with former Rams corner Bradley Fletcher on Tuesday night. "

via Rotoworld

"Sources tell the Philadelphia Inquirer that the Eagles have pulled out of the Darrelle Revis trade talks.

The Jets are reportedly in talks with the Bucs and another mystery team. That unknown organization is not the Eagles. Although they have a need at corner and plenty of cap space, GM Howie Roseman is clearly wary of breaking the bank in the free-agency market once again after the failed "Dream Team" experiment of 2011. He made a sharp, cost-effective deal with former Rams corner Bradley Fletcher on Tuesday night. "

via Rotoworld

Yeah it sounds like the Jets are asking for a ton for Revis. I dont get it, he has held out twice already, he is coming off a major injury, and he wants huge money. I am glad it isnt going to be the Eagles that give up a ton for him and then give him a huge contract.

via Rotoworld

Revis to the Browns.

Jason La Canfora ‏ @ JasonLaCanfora
Browns could still make more deals today. Have some interest in Redskins TE Fred Davis

While I like Davis, would rather have Myers, no big injury history.

As for Revis, sure we'd all love a healthy Revis. Denver took the risk for Peyton. Who's going to take the risk (and a huge one, money +1st rounder) for Revis. Could have a huge payoff too. Imagine Revis and Haden both in their prime.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I am taking the offseason crown away from Miami for the time being and putting it back on the heads of the Browns.

It's a close race though, could go either way.

eznark

Banned
How is it depressing? I love not having to overpay for discarded garbage like Bushrod. I love it. It's like throwing money down from a dirigible and watching poors scramble and scrape.

Things got way, way too hot in GB yesterday. Cool down Ted. Walk away.

It seems like all the Steelers fans are acting like losing Wallace is no big deal, but I hope they've got a replacement for him. You might not realize what it's like to have an offense that can't stretch the field at all but let me tell you, it sucks. Even stuff that you don't credit to Wallace, like 15 yard crossing routes over the middle of the field to another WR, are somewhat affected by him being out there.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers win 8 games this year, honestly.

Wes

venison crêpe
@TonyGrossi
Nemeses #Browns and #Eagles now in competition for free agent CBs. Who pulls trigger first?

I'm still rooting that we get Lewis.

Keith Britton ‏ @ KeithBritton86
Was told # Browns still also have interest in Cary Williams at CB, too. One of many, many teams interested in the 28-yr-old
Keep draining the Ravens.
Also exciting time to be a Fins fans, seems they're going after Keller too. Didn't expect them to go this hard in FA

eznark

Banned
So between the Browns, Lions and Dolphins (all of whom seem to be the clear big spenders this FA period) does anyone think any of them will win 8 games next year? Maybe Miami?

So between the Browns, Lions and Dolphins (all of whom seem to be the clear big spenders this FA period) does anyone think any of them will win 8 games next year? Maybe Miami?

I think Browns or Fins could. Both have big questions at QB though. I really like the Browns team outside of QB and WR.

squicken

Really like idea of Fred Davis to CLE. High risk b/c of achillies, but if he comes back, young and cheap. Phins still have a lot of work to do on that secondary, but should be easier to fix up that with so many CBs on market. Safety is where it seems shallow

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Detroit doesn't have the cap room to be a "big spender." Detroit could easily win 8 games if they shored up the secondary, though. The safety position absolutely killed the team last year.

Also, some in Detroit are reporting that Detroit is the "mystery team" in in the Revis talks.

No thank you. If that happened I'd be infuriated.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

The AFC North could be a bit weak this year so I feel the Browns may have a shot at 8 wins. But I'll have to wait to see what else they do this offseason/draft. Our front 7 looks pretty solid but we still need another CB and need to see what happens with the offense.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I think the Dolphins have a pretty good shot at the playoffs.

They were 7-9 last season. The Jets and Bills will suck even more ass next year. 10-6 isn't impossible especially if they get a few more guys and Tannehill develops a bit.

Really like idea of Fred Davis to CLE. High risk b/c of achillies, but if he comes back, young and cheap. Phins still have a lot of work to do on that secondary, but should be easier to fix up that with so many CBs on market. Safety is where it seems shallow

I'd take Fred Davis at a bargain price. We already have Jordan Cameron, and I think Chud and Norv could get a lot out of him. Fred is only 27 though, so it's not like he couldn't come back from the achillies.

I know I'm biased but I would be very surprised if the Dolphins didn't win 8 games this year. They won 7 games last year with a substantially worse roster (plus a rookie QB, plus a rookie head coach, plus we haven't even had the draft yet) and they lost two games in OT and three other games by 7 or less.

Things would have to go catastrophically wrong for Miami to be worse than they were last season. Unless Jake Long, Reggie Bush, Sean Smith, or Karlos Dansby were significantly more impactful than they get credit for, which I just don't see.

eznark

Banned
Who is replacing Long? I think that might be an issue. I'm still not sold on Tannehill and I worry about giving a second year QB a guy with such a strong and abrasive personality. Poor Ryan is going to be pressure to throw it to Wallace every single play.

That said, I really just want some optimism on record so I can laugh at you all.

Dolphins have the 8th toughest schedule (if measured by 2012 records) and I think their schedule was closer to the bottom of the pack last year. Things don't have to go catastrophically wrong, they can just go a little sideways and suddenly your playoff Team on The Rise Youngry Bunch wins 4 games and everyone is fired.

Detroit doesn't have the cap room to be a "big spender." Detroit could easily win 8 games if they shored up the secondary, though. The safety position absolutely killed the team last year.

Also, some in Detroit are reporting that Detroit is the "mystery team" in in the Revis talks.

No thank you. If that happened I'd be infuriated.

How could the Lions even afford to give Revis $15m a year?

I'd take Fred Davis at a bargain price. We already have Jordan Cameron a body at TE, and I think Chud and Norv could maybe get something out of him. Fred is only 27 though, so it's not like he couldn't come back from the achillies.
Rumor that HoFinely is gonna get released?
I wanna see who we sign at Qb

eznark

Banned
Rumor that HoFinely is gonna get released?

Now that is some action I can get behind! Where did you see that?

Also:
Andrew Brandt @adbrandt
With Raiders' releases ystday, more than $30M of nonroster (dead) $ this yr. Instead of $123M Cap, they're playing w/about $90M.

Raiders are the new Astros

Sounds like Bush signed with the Lions. He is back at their facilities right now.

Hmm, that's intriguing as well. Wonder what he'd cost.

Finley would demand more than Cook. It's going to be a really, really bad signing for whoever does it.

It seems like all the Steelers fans are acting like losing Wallace is no big deal, but I hope they've got a replacement for him. You might not realize what it's like to have an offense that can't stretch the field at all but let me tell you, it sucks. Even stuff that you don't credit to Wallace, like 15 yard crossing routes over the middle of the field to another WR, are somewhat affected by him being out there.

I'd be surprised if the Steelers win 8 games this year, honestly.

Unlike the Dolphins, Steelers other receivers are more than just warm bodies.

Top Bottom