• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Bowser

No idea who this is, and I don't expect anyone to

Would have liked to have kept him, but he's a purely pass-catching TE and wasn't going to get much burn ahead of Olsen. I think he could be pretty good. Had a few big games a couple of years ago with Matt Moore as his QB and had a pretty good game against the Eagles on MNF last season.

Would have liked to have kept him, but he's a purely pass-catching TE and wasn't going to get much burn ahead of Olsen. I think he could be pretty good. Had a few big games a couple of years ago with Matt Moore as his QB and had a pretty good game against the Eagles on MNF last season.

Decent back-up/ #3 tight end. He was mainly used for blocking for the Panthers, but he can step out of the backfield and catch.

Like Bowser said, he wasn't going to beat out Olsen for No.1 reps.
Ic ic

Pay Flacco and then try to do a quick rebuild during the 2 years of post super bowl good will they will have. NFLN was saying that they could hve one of the youngest teams in the league this year.

With Flacco?!

Flacco benefitted from a veteran team. Doing it this way says that they have the confidence in Flacco being the leader with the old guard gone.

If that was their plan from the getgo, why didn't they lock him up at a lower price last year?

With Flacco?!

Flacco benefitted from a veteran team. Doing it this way says that they have the confidence in Flacco being the leader with the old guard gone.

If that was their plan from the getgo, why didn't they lock him up at a lower price last year?

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. Can't rebuild around Flacco, you need the parts around him.

Nakazato

With Flacco?!

They were only 1mil apart last year we made a horrible decision.

With Flacco?!

They tried to sign Flacco at the start of the year but he turned the deal down. If they hadnt won the SB then they would have kept who they could and made another run, but since they won they figured this was the best time to start over.

They were only 1mil apart last year we made a horrible decision.

image.php

eznark

Banned
Pollard is only 28, has only been in the league 6 seasons and has burned through three teams already. What's the deal with this guy?

Duxxy3

Is it in the Pats best interest to sign Pollard? He might not injure them this way.

I actually had safety as our biggest need in the off season. Bird with two stones if we get a good safety and prevent our star players from getting blown up.

Jags update:

Ryan O'Halloran @ryanohalloran

#Jaguars have waived WR Laurent Robinson. Passed his physical so no injury settlement.

Also:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

The Steelers have interest in former Bears TE Kellen Davis, who is being released after the Martellus Bennett signing

...and the Giants signed another kicker with Lawrence Tynes on the way out:

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas

K Josh Brown is signing with the Giants this morning, per multiple sources.

effzee

Can't believe the Eagles gave Chung starter money.

Yet on the site and the PR piece up, they mention all the pick ups yesterday as good depth signings who will contribute as starters and special teams players.

I don't know much about Chung outside of him not being great. Of course he played for Kelly so he might think he knows how to optimize his play, he is young, and they picked him up for the cheap so I don't have that much of a problem with it. But if the plan is to hand him the starting job I'll be pissed. Our safety play has been so bad since 09, we don't need to risks and experiment.

Still want Goldson or Pollard now. Didn't even know Pollard was under 30.

Sean Smith sign with anyone yet?

I'm loving this Ray Lewis interview on ESPN right now.

Missed it. What was it about?

Oh and in case anyone missed it, NFLN opened up programming today groveling at the feet of the Patriots organization and Bill after Warren Sapp said what everyone was thinking anyways...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameo...app-curse-bill-belichick-nfl-network/1984063/
"Before we give you the news of the day, we want to offer an apology. Last night during some live programming, we accidently aired an expletive. It will not happen again. So our sincerest apology to Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots, the Patriots family, Robert Kraft and his entire family. A classy organization out there. Once again, it's not who we are, it's not what we do and it will not happen again."

I don't know much about Chung outside of him not being great. Of course he played for Kelly so he might think he knows how to optimize his play, he is young, and they picked him up for the cheap so I don't have that much of a problem with it. But if the plan is to hand him the starting job I'll be pissed. Our safety play has been so bad since 09, we don't need to risks and experiment.

Chung was drafted before Chip Kelly became HC, but he was the OC, so he could know one or two things.

effzee

I wanna press the panic button :-(

Why? You have Ozzie. One of the best GMs in the business. And even with all these veterans who have now either retired or left, your D wasn't what it used to be. Yes they played inspired and better in the post season but its about time to you guys rebuild that D.

I don't think Kruger was worth that money. Reed is old and while not bad, no where near what he used to be. Ellerbie is the real loss and even he only came on strong recently and was a role player.

I think I would trust Ozzie to use the draft wisely and pick a veteran or two later down the road to keep the team as a playoff contender.

Set at QB, WR, and RB. Just need to add depth on that side of the ball.

Jags update:

Wasn't he contemplating retirement after the concussions?

I'm super ok with this. Best cover guy we have and a generally pretty solid corner. If one of the young guys, like Jonte Green and Bentely can develop into a starter, we could be in a pretty ok situation. Not desireable by any means, but still better than we have been. Can't forget about the Albion guy either, Greenwood. Coaching staff likes him alot, be he was on IR all year and its not like I take anything this coaching staff has to say with any value.

But I agree 100% with Plinko. The safety play on this team is utter garbage. Worst safety play in the NFL, far and away. Getting a guy like Glover Quin would be a great way to shore up alot of those problems. I really hope he lands in Detroit with the pretend cap space we have

eznark

Banned
Why would they apologize to Robert Kraft's family? Jesus Christ that guy has way too much power in the league. Cowering and groveling because Sapp said a story was played out? Pathetic.

effzee

Chung was drafted before Chip Kelly became HC, but he was the OC, so he could know one or two things.

Damn that makes it even worse. What would be a honest assessment of his play in NE? Our safeties were terrible in coverage, looked lost, poor at tackling, and took the worst possible angles almost every play.

Again I am trusting Chip completely as of now. I like that all of the signings, minus Sopoaga who is 31, are for young guys who might have not maximized their potential yet. Maybe they can bloom under the new defense being constructed.

If anyone honestly think that Tomlin will be on the "hot seat", they're morons. The Rooneys aren't the kind to panic, even if that's what the fans will do. Tomlin will be allowed to completely overhaul the team and given another run, so maybe in 6-8 years, he'll be in trouble.

Believe me, either Tomlin or Colbert will be on the hot seat. When Cowher had two shit seasons back to back in his 7th and 8th years, it was either him or Donahoe that was going to go. Cowher won the struggle and it proved out to be the correct move. Tomlin is in his 7th year. Now, Colbert's been there a long time, back to 2000, so maybe again it would come to that kind of choice and Tomlin will be fine, two SB trips may grant him some immunity. But make no mistake, a precedent has been set that the Steelers won't settle for continued mediocrity like they did in the 80s. If Tomlin spends too much time lingering around with bullshit .500 clubs or worse, someone will have to go. And Tomlin's current contract goes to 2016. If they don't like what they see, I don't see him getting this mythical 6-8 year run.

Top Bottom