• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Bread

Banned
Shit! The Lions signed Bush? I feel like the NFL has been completely flipped on its head with such a dynamic player going to an offense with the best young QB in the league, the GOAT WR and GOAT DT. The NFC North will never be the same.

bluemax

Banned
I wouldn't be, you guys don't have glaring ball and chain contracts. Only thing is you guys have an inordinate amount of extensions coming up around the same time. You might be forced to let a great guy or two walk.

Yeah. I think some of the guys who are older and more replaceable will walk. Namely squicken's favorite Brandon Browner.

Also I just saw a quote that said the first time Percy met Russell yesterday Russell was at the practice facility watching film. I love Russell so much.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shit! The Lions signed Bush? I feel like the NFL has been completely flipped on its head with such a dynamic player going to an offense with the best young QB in the league, the GOAT WR and GOAT DT. The NFC North will never be the same.

Only true thing in that sentence.

WedgeX

Banned
Anybody know when Quin is scheduled to visit the Lions?

And Anwar Richardson is having some fun with the Bush signing.

mlive said:

Reggie Bush signs a four-year deal with the Detroit Lions

12416470-large.jpg

Colasante

I don't get why everyone is shitting all over the Lions signing Reggie Bush. Unless it's a terribly expensive contract, that seems like a smart addition to me. They throw the ball more than any other team so having a catching RB like Bush makes sense.

I feel so confident in the Ravens in 2013 I'm going to put this out there now: If the Ravens don't make the post-season I will not post on Neo-Gaf until the 2014 draft.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
For all the Bush-bashing, there's no way he'll be getting 35 carries a game with LeShoure and Bell behind him. He'll play the role that Jahvid Best was supposed to play in Detroit with the other guys complementing him. I'm not worried about durability issues here.

Colasante said:
I don't get why everyone is shitting all over the Lions signing Reggie Bush. Unless it's a terribly expensive contract, that seems like a smart addition to me. They throw the ball more than any other team so having a catching RB like Bush makes sense.

This is my worry.

eznark

Banned

Joicque Bell was a better receiving back than Bush last year.

LevelNth

Banned
It's a great signing, providing they didn't guarantee too much or pay in the hopes he'll be a three down guy. But I'm not sure why they would bother anyways, Leshoure is solid between the tackles.

So we'll see. The reaction is mainly due to the large Packer and NFC North feuding here.

eznark

Banned
It's a great signing, providing they didn't guarantee too much or pay in the hopes he'll be a three down guy. But I'm not sure why they would bother anyways, Leshoure is solid between the tackles.

So we'll see. The reaction is mainly due to the large Packer and NFC North feuding here.

Not really. Leshoure is a better pure runner and fits their offensive line which I think (and I could be wrong) is more solid in run blocking between the tackles. Joique Bell is younger, cheaper and most importantly better as a receiver than Bush.

This is getting blinded by a name. It's not a good fit unless they decide to do exactly what you say not to, and that's play him every down.

The only thing this gives the Lions is hype coming off an abysmal season that probably hurt a lot of fan enthusiasm.

Plinko

Very happy about this move.

Regardless of all today's signings, if this team doesn't end up with a competent safety this offseason it will be a colossal failure.
eznark said:
Not really. Leshoure is a better pure runner and fits their offensive line which I think (and I could be wrong) is more solid in run blocking between the tackles. Joique Bell is younger, cheaper and most importantly better as a receiver than Bush.

You're wrong. This team isn't solid anywhere in run-blocking.

Plinko

A decent organization would have focused on defense and the o-line. Bell is legit and can do everything Bush can do....for $630k

Yes to the statement about focusing on defense and o-line (although we do have the upcoming draft...:lol who am I kidding) but I disagree about Bell doing what Bush can do.

effzee

I like Bush and he played well for Miami. He also helped me win two FF leagues as my third back. He also talked shit to the NY Buttfumbles. Good for him and the Lions.

LevelNth

Banned

This is getting blinded by a name. It's not a good fit unless they decide to do exactly what you say not to, and that's play him every down.

The only thing this gives the Lions is hype coming off an abysmal season that probably hurt a lot of fan enthusiasm.
I don't agree. Bush is more dynamic and versatile in that he can run much better than Bell as well.

eznark

Banned
^ I said he is better as a receiver. Versatility is only valuable if you are on the field most down.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/OL

Detroit's offensive line was actually solid in the run game as long as it never, ever, ever ran off-tackle left. Strong up the middle and surprisingly strong off of Cherilus....oh, well, surely his replacement will be good!

Joique Bell was the second highest rated RB in the passing game by Pro Football Focus last year. So the big splash addition to the Lions receiving game is actually a step back.

Good job, Millen.

Boom. Leshoure and Bell provided a decent tandem last season, and as ez stated, Bell outclassed Bush as a receiving back. Having a third-down back on the hook for possibly a large sum when they have a younger, cheaper option doesn't make much sense.

Mendenhall signing a 1yr deal with the Cards.

*rings bell*

Steelers West got another one!

Boom. Leshoure and Bell provided a decent tandem last season, and as ez stated, Bell outclassed Bush as a receiving back. Having a third-down back on the hook for possibly a large sum when they have a younger, cheaper option doesn't make much sense.

Where are you guys reading that he's going to be a 3rd down back? That wasn't his role in Miami.

Rorschach

Don't write my eulogy yet, you still have to deal with me, minimum, til end of December.

World champs biiiiiiiitch.
"I'm going to throw a bitch fit and leave the thread if my team doesn't make the playoffs. I'll be back for the draft!" Ballsy bet, man!

My bet is that I won't post after losses. Only wins! I won't be posting much.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
"I'm going to throw a bitch fit and leave the thread if my team doesn't make the playoffs. I'll be back for the draft!" Ballsy bet, man!

My bet is that I won't post after losses. Only wins! I won't be posting much.

My bet is that you will miss us too much and will still post after losses!

effzee

I'll hold off further judgement on the Bush deal until we see the money. If its cheap then I don't see the problem. Detroit needs to move away from throwing the ball so much anyway because Fatford isn't that good.

Plus its just one move. They still have the draft to shore up their OLINE and defensive needs. Milliner is most likely sitting there at 5. One of the tackles KC doesn't take is still there. Warmack will be there though I don't know if you take G that high. And it seems likely that Safety Quin signs with them too.

Top Bottom