• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Hunter S.

Why is everybody going nuts for Welker?

He's not even an upgrade over Decker.
He is easily an upgrade to Stokely our slot reciever. Nothing against Stokely, loves Denver, is friends with Manning, hell of a fighter. Guy cannot play forever and is less talented, and by no means has Welker's numbers. But, I am pretty sure Denver would rather keep the younger, Thomas and Decker as the top two. They were very good.

WedgeX

Banned
The Lions officially announce the signing on twitter.

Tim Twentyman ‏@ttwentyman

Lions have agreed to terms on a five-year deal with S Glover Quin, according to league source.

If Twentyman says it, I suppose we must believe.

Back to celebrating!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
OK, new numbers from the Bush signing:

4 yrs, $14 million with about four million guaranteed. If true, I'm ecstatic about this move.

I know its only talking heads, but kinda surprised how many sites are claiming Miami is doing so well in FA. Do people really think Mike Wallace was worth that contract? Ellerbe? Wheeler? Hell, even when they resigned Hartline, I thought they overpaid for someone averaging 60 catches a year, and had 1 TD last year. I mean, it COULD work out, but Id put my money on it not.

Laron Landry in Indy. Not terribly high on him, but they need to get Tom Zbikowski off the field. Even if Reed is about done, would love Reed to come to Indy for a year or two.

Dragon

Banned
I know its only talking heads, but kinda surprised how many sites are claiming Miami is doing so well in FA. Do people really think Mike Wallace was worth that contract? Ellerbe? Wheeler? Hell, even when they resigned Hartline, I thought they overpaid for someone averaging 60 catches a year, and had 1 TD last year. I mean, it COULD work out, but Id put my money on it not.

Miami already had a good defense (although I think Sean Smith is a free agent so maybe that may change a bit). Their offense was stagnant for the most part and getting playmakers in the passing game is incredibly important. Wallace may not be worth what he's being paid but he's certainly better than the dreck they had before.

They are making a lot of high risk, high reward moves. Opinions will be all over the place with that kind of thing.

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2013recap.php

Buccaneers sign S Dashon Goldson (5 years, $41.25M; $22M guaranteed): C Grade
The Buccaneers spent heavily last spring, and all that got them was a 7-9 record. They apparently haven't learned from their mistakes. They inked the top-available safety, Dashon Goldson, to a massive contract Wednesday afternoon.

There are two issues with this. First, Goldson doesn't fill a need. With Mark Barron and Ronde Barber starting and Ahmad Black waiting in the wings, the Buccaneers didn't need to upgrade the safety position. Second, it's never a good sign when a player goes from a Super Bowl contender to a mediocre franchise just for financial purposes. It works out sometimes, but it often fails.

WedgeX

Banned
Lions starter time! New additions in bold!

QB: Stafford
WR: Megatron, Burleson, Broyles, Young Sr.
RB: Bush, Leshoure, Bell
TE: Pettigrew
RG: Sims
RT: Cherilus
C: Raola
LT: Backus
LG: Peterman

Possible roster replacements for the line include Reiff, Fox, Nagy, Austin, and Hilliard. Backus has not made a decision on his retirement.

DE: Avril, vandenBosch, Young, Lewis
DT: Suh, Fairley
CB: Houston, about 30 rookies
FS: Delmas, Quin
SS: Spievey

Jones was added for depth both behind Suh/Fairely and on the ends.

K: Hanson
P: Harris, Clingan
LS: Muhlbach

Muhlbach remains unsigned.

Dragon

Banned
Good sign, Welker was married in June in Aspen, Colorado. Apparently, the Mountains are pretty awesome here.

I'm sure Welker will suddenly be good now that he's on the Broncos :D.

I don't like that the Pats are depending on Gronk, Hernandez and possible Amendola to stay healthy.

I'd say they could draft someone, but they haven't drafted a good WR since Branch. And that's using the word good loosely.

The trashing of the Dolphins for signing the two LB's is kind of silly. The guy says there is no need there but Burnett and Dansby were both pretty bad in coverage, and this was especially apparent against teams with great receiving TE's like New England. With the league going more and more in that direction it makes sense that you'd want to have some LB's who are younger and better in pass coverage, which is why I think Ireland has been focusing on that area so much. Their other defensive needs (like CB) will probably be addressed in the draft.

Cardinals sign RB Rashard Mendenhall (1 year, $2.5 million): C+ Grade
Rashard Mendenhall is not a good running back. He's sluggish and injury-prone. He fumbles quite often and doesn't break tackles. I can see why the Cardinals signed him, given that he's familiar with Bruce Arians from their time together in Pittsburgh, but this is just meh. If Mendenhall ends up being Arizona's starting running back, the Cardinals will be in trouble.

WTF? Mendenhall is not a fumbler.

Top Bottom