• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Godslay

Banned
Because Edelman played 9 games. They were definitely thinking about moving on from Welker. He wasn't even starting initially. A ton of bad blood between the 2 sides. Before he got franchised last year they offered him 2/18 guaranteed and he said no.

Week 2/3 he was producing like past Welker. Edelman got hurt in December. He started slow, and I thought the phase out thing was put to bed a long time ago?

TheFatOne

His stats are the pretty much the same from 2011 to 2012. Doesn't seem like much of a phase out.

NE
GP:16
Receptions: 122
Targets: 172
Yards: 1,569
TD: 9

NE
GP:16
Receptions: 118
Targets: 174
Yards: 1,354
TD: 6

Like some other posters have said initially like first three games Pats were trying to phase him out. If I remember correctly his snap count was down, and Edelman started in the second game. His stats don't really reflect that because it was clear early Edelman was not the guy, and the Pats had some injuries. Early on there is no doubt the Pats were trying to replace Welker with Edelman, but then had to change.
Week 2/3 he was producing like past Welker. Edelman got hurt in December. He started slow, and I thought the phase out thing was put to bed a long time ago?

Like I said Welker didn't really start out slow Pats kept his snaps down.

Edit: He was still very effective when he was out there because of the chemistry between Brady and Welker, but the Pats were definitely trying to phase him out. It's just that Welker is too good.

Fox318

Jets extended Sanchez. Makes sense you can recognize a dumb move.

Is Kraft gonna have a patch for new girlfriend?

tpy57sH.jpg

Colasante

Edelman started over Welker week 2 against the Cardinals. In that game, Hernandez hurt his ankle and missed a couple of weeks, and Welker started again the next week. Had everyone stayed healthy Welker would have been phased out, but he was forced back into the lineup by necessity.

Godslay

Banned
Like some other posters have said initially like first three games Pats were trying to phase him out. If I remember correctly his snap count was down, and Edelman started in the second game. His stats don't really reflect that because it was clear early Edelman was not the guy, and the Pats had some injuries. Early on there is no doubt the Pats were trying to replace Welker with Edelman, but then had to change.

Like I said Welker didn't really start out slow Pats kept his snaps down.

Edit: He was still very effective when he was out there because of the chemistry between Brady and Welker, but the Pats were definitely trying to phase him out. It's just that Welker is too good.

Edelman started over Welker week 2 against the Cardinals. In that game, Hernandez hurt his ankle and missed a couple of weeks, and Welker started again the next week. Had everyone stayed healthy Welker would have been phased out, but he was forced back into the lineup by necessity.

I'll take your word for it, but it sounds like bullshit to me.

If he was trying to phase out Welker, it proves Belicheck was a dumbass handling it. Who gives a shit if the guy produces out of his mind and wants to get paid for it the following year? He's still on your team, and is better than Edelman. You are still paying him to play that year. So you are telling me that want to phase out a paid asset, for a guy that is making less and is not as productive? Silly.

I'd take the answer of McD playing around with different play sets or even a little slap for 2 games. A full on phase out doesn't make sense, even with injuries. He was too valuable in that offense.

Kacar

I think the Amendola signing is great for NE, he can provide for most of what Welker did. That's all if he stays healthy, which he probably won't.

bionic77

If he was trying to phase out Welker, it proves Belicheck was a dumbass handling it. Who gives a shit if the guy produces out of his mind and wants to get paid for it the following year? He's still on your team, and is better than Edelman. You are still paying him to play that year. So you are telling me that want to phase out a paid asset, for a guy that is making less and is not as productive? Silly.

I'd take the answer of McD playing around with different play sets or even a little slap for 2 games. A full on phase out doesn't make sense, even with injuries. He was too valuable in that offense.
If you play him less he is worth less on the free market. That way Welker stays a dirty poor or the Pats can wrap him up for a lot less.

Class organization!

Kiryu

Only 2 ? You'd think he'd try and get something long term unless he hoping to boost his value in those 2 years and come back for huge contract. Is Avril the one that wanted Mario Williams type money?
I only heard 2 year w/ 15 million. That's estimate by ESPN

mr2xxx

Banned

It''s not BS and yes Bill is a dumbass for pulling that stunt with Welker.

jakncoke

Banned
"Drew Stanton joins Arizona Cardinals; Kevin Kolb out?"

This headline made me lol, you gotta be pretty low that someone could think Stanton is going to push you out

Godslay

Banned
If you play him less he is worth less on the free market. That way Welker stays a dirty poor or the Pats can wrap him up for a lot less.

Class organization!

Yeah, I get it, but if you aren't utilizing your best players during the current season to save $2 million dollars later, it's not a good move.

It''s not BS and yes Bill is a dumbass for pulling that stunt with Welker.

Maybe so, maybe Amendola might work out better. Only time will tell I guess.

Sanjuro

It's a gamble. At the very least, Brady might stop being a bit too one-dimensional. I like Amendola. He is white. What's not to like?

Maxim726X

Just read about the big news of the day... Wow.

Was it really the difference in the 2 million dollars that caused Welker to walk away?

Damn that offense is going to look completely different next year.

MechDX

reed_zps7bc69305.png

There is talk that the Texans have already talked to Reed. They didn't even make an offer to Quin to try an keep him and now this just popped up on my Facebook feed

He is neighbors in Miami with Dre which just adds fuel to the fires.

Erik Noriega Might as well draft Leon Sandcastle.

a few seconds ago via mobile · Like

From the facebook comments. jnc

mr2xxx

Banned
Yeah, I get it, but if you aren't utilizing your best players during the current season to save $2 million dollars later, it's not a good move.

Maybe so, maybe Amendola might work out better. Only time will tell I guess.

Maybe? Sure it could possibly turn out better but you are replacing a guy who has more catches than every other player in the past 6 years vs a guy that struggles to get on the field. Besides Tom only has 2-3 years left, why risk it in the first place?

Top Bottom