• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Slo

Minnesota, the place where old NFC North players go to die.

Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
So DK got banned for what he said about Halle Berry but stealth 9/11 jokes in that Bloomberg thread are fine?

I must have a really weird sense of ethics.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The Pittsburgh Steelers announced in an official press release today, they have re-signed veteran long-snapper Greg Warren, who has been with the team since signing with them in 2005 as an un-drafted free-agent out of North Carolina University.

Championship!

He's a difference maker when he's healthy, he's just never healthy.

what difference does he make? he's like a shorter, unhealthier version of goldson. we might as well have kept goldson then.

further, if he's not good enough for the pathetic lions defense to keep then he doesn't belong in san fran. sorry brotha!

Kiryu

Who knows how well Avril will play when on adderall?

i3ssVCAk9nW3I.jpg

If there's one thing I hate more than Jay Cutler, its Cheatin' Pete.

icrMZvQuCL5zN.gif
Only thing I hate is Cheatin' Har

485292_501596933220333_1788359565_n.png

jakncoke

Banned
So DK got banned for what he said about Halle Berry but stealth 9/11 jokes in that Bloomberg thread are fine?

You've been around long enough to know its a minefield about being in the right or wrong place at the right or wrong time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
what difference does he make? he's like a shorter, unhealthier version of goldson. we might as well have kept goldson then.

further, if he's not good enough for the pathetic lions defense to keep then he doesn't belong in san fran. sorry brotha!

Honestly, the difference between the defense when he was/was not out there was huge. He had a tendency to launch himself like a bullet instead of making a tackle, though.

Colasante

I can't even imagine how that offense will run without him... He is arguably the most important receiver in the game.

It will change alright.

Amendola will step into Welker's place, likely with Edelman backing him up. Gronkowski and Ballard will be the two starting tight ends, while Hernandez operates more as a wide receiver. Lloyd flanking one side, and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick flanking the other. Utilize Shane Vereen more and use his pass catching ability. There's an opportunity for the offense to be better. Most importantly this will hopefully force Brady to spread his targets out more so the offense can't be stopped so easily come playoff time.

Tom Penny

Amendola will step into Welker's place, likely with Edelman backing him up. Gronkowski and Ballard will be the two starting tight ends, while Hernandez operates more as a wide receiver. Lloyd flanking one side, and a 1st or 2nd round draft pick flanking the other. Utilize Shane Vereen more and use his pass catching ability. There's an opportunity for the offense to be better. Most importantly this will hopefully force Brady to spread his targets out more so the offense can't be stopped so easily come playoff time.

They will run a lot of 3 TE sets this year. As far as the playoffs go stop abandoning the run would be an interesting concept.

MechDX

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
If Ed Reed leaves Texans without a contract, he could be headed to Niners. Woodson could be headed to Texans.

15 mins John McClain John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Texans and 49ers lost free safeties. Now they're after the same guys. Woodson is visiting Niners. Reed comes to Houston on Thursday.

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL
Carl Poston, who reps Charles Woodson, says Texans have contacted him bout Woodson, who's in San Fran. Ed Reed visiting Texans first

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...e-texans-source-says-20130313,0,4380932.story

Free safety Ed Reed is proving how serious he is about testing the open market, and possibly leaving the Ravens.

Reed is scheduled to begin his free agent visit with the Houston Texans on Thursday, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

The Texans have a reputation for being closers and have the advantage of employing wide receiver Andre Johnson, one of Reed's closest friends from the University of Miami. A Louisiana native, Reed emphasized during the Super Bowl week that he's interested in playing in the South.

Reed might not sign with the Texans immediately necessarily even though they've made an impressive contract offer already, according to sources.

The Texans have been involved from the start of the free agency signing period, immediately declaring their interest in Reed.

Reed or Woodson, Woodson or Reed, Texans or Niners.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I guess you didn't watch him there much

Not sure how anyone could be excited to pick up Packets defense cast offs but ok!

I like him as a ball hawk.. And our secondary is really solid as it is, I don't think he will be a huge huge part of it

squicken

Guess the Rams couldn't afford him

Or his knee didn't check out. Problem for the Rams is they will have to over-pay for FAs compared to SF and SEA. Really going to need to develop talent through the draft. If they sign Long, they will have to either take a hit next year and not sign anyone big, or keep pushing things down the road

Just finished watching "The Cold Light of Day."

About as mediocre a movie as you could possibly write, produce, direct and "star" in. Utterly forgettable.

Future, the next three movies on my Netflix list are Resident Evil: Retribution (sure to be laughably bad but a guilty pleasure nonetheless), The Apparition and The House at the End of the Street. Edit: Oops, sort of forgot the question. What order would you recommend for these?

I think you're the resident horror/thriller guru. My wife and I watched Sinister last week and while it was suitably creepy it wasn't Ring tier.

Or his knee didn't check out. Problem for the Rams is they will have to over-pay for FAs compared to SF and SEA. Really going to need to develop talent through the draft. If they sign Long, they will have to either take a hit next year and not sign anyone big, or keep pushing things down the road

Jim Thomas was saying they are in position to be in great cap shape next year. I just don't want to spend 2/8 draft picks on safeties.

Maxim726X

You're right, there's going to be some more variability in their game plan now... There's certainly a lot of talent from the TE position, and Amendola is talented when healthy but Welker was good for 10/120 every game. It was a nightmare to defend them because of him- They're going to be a lot easier to make a defensive scheme against now, I would imagine.

We'll see how much Brady and Bellicheck have left in the tank. I'm sure Bill wasn't expecting this.

Delmas out, Quin in? I'll take it.

BTW, Niners: next year, just run Gore on the outside toward whatever edge Avril is playing. You're welcome in advance.

Quazar

Will miss Goldson, dam he got a ton of money. Amendola was a huge pick up for Patriots as was Welker to Broncos.

Any news on Reed/Harrison? And what's the word on Dorsey, KC fans like him or no?

jakncoke

Banned

Yeah i just read that thread, there at least 3 people in their that just danced with the devil and came out clean some how

Colasante

You're right, there's going to be some more variability in their game plan now... There's certainly a lot of talent from the TE position, and Amendola is talented when healthy but Welker was good for 10/120 every game. It was a nightmare to defend them because of him- They're going to be a lot easier to make a defensive scheme against now, I would imagine.

We'll see how much Brady and Bellicheck have left in the tank. I'm sure Bill wasn't expecting this.

From the reports, it seems like they basically had their pick of Amendola and Welker and chose Amendola. Welker went back to them to match Denver's offer and Belichick chose not to. Seems like unless he was willing to take a true hometown discount, they just didn't want him around anymore. When I first read it, I imagined they were blindsided by the Denver news but I guess not. Very bizarre.

Maxim726X

From the reports, it seems like they basically had their pick of Amendola and Welker and chose Amendola. Welker went back to them to match Denver's offer and Belichick chose not to. Seems like unless he was willing to take a true hometown discount, they just didn't want him around anymore. When I first read it, I imagined they were blindsided by the Denver news but I guess not. Very bizarre.

Wow really?

Hmm... That is interesting. Can't believe Welker would leave over 2 million dollars, but maybe he feels as if he'd have a better chance with the Broncos. They have a defense.

Dragon

Banned

It's really how people report things. I've gotten away with some horrible shit in here for instance.

squicken

Jim Thomas was saying they are in position to be in great cap shape next year. I just don't want to spend 2/8 draft picks on safeties.

Yep cap is great for next year. If they decide to extend Bradford, they'll be able to put a huge roster bonus into that year and not get killed in later years. If they are doing things right, they are adding 4 impact players with the 4 first round picks at a low cost

They'll get a couple safeties off the scrap heap before the draft, but they will probably have to use a high pick to address FS. Just so hard to find a rangy S that can cover

edit: DRC to a one year deal? Is Elway God?

Colasante

Hopefully now the CB dominoes begin to fall. It's a buyer's market and the Patriots need to buy at least two starting corners. I was discouraged that they weren't going for Nnamdi, but hopefully they can get a #1 like Talib and a solid #2 like Derek Cox.

Top Bottom