• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

effzee

3 year deal for Sean Smith. So the Chiefs have Dunta Robinson, Brandon Flowers and Sean Smith. Dunta I've never been a fan of but not a bad stable of corners.

Yeah Reid and his style of D, whatever it might be, puts a premium on CBs. More than anything during his 14 years in Philly he reached, overpaid, and crowded the CB position.

Kinda pissed the Eagles didn't sign this guy especially now looking at the contract. In dire need of CB help and so far only signed an injury prone CB from the Rams who might not even be a starter.

When your secondary needs 4 new starters and the FA pool is deep with good secondary players it makes no sense to settle on guys like Chung and Fletcher.

LevelNth

Banned
Guys, all this bickering is preventing us from discussing the important matters at hand.

For example, Minnesota actually gave Jerome Simpson a raise.

WedgeX

Banned
Chris Houston gives some insight into what was going on in the Lions locker room last year. Aka swelled-in-the-head Young, Sr., Cliffy A, and the rotating menagerie of the secondary.

mlive said:
"Getting good players in our locker room," Houston said. "I think we had a lot of distractions last year on the offensive side of the ball. There were so many free agents on the defensive side of the ball and the chemistry wasn't there, but I think upstairs, they're doing a great job of getting guys in here who are about football.

"Good guys, mainly, in the locker room. Once you have that, and guys are on one accord, the sky's the limit, and I don't think that was the case last year."

"One thing I see with a lot of playoff teams, they're more of a brotherhood," Houston said. "I think because of free agents we had -- there were so many -- guys didn't know where they were going to be, and the chemistry wasn't there like it was the year before when we went to the playoffs."

squicken

jets lose bell and laundry :(

Yeah but you are getting Kolb over Cassell. Cassell probably to Vikes

Chris Houston gives some insight into what was going on in the Lions locker room last year. Aka swelled-in-the-head Young, Sr., Cliffy A, and the rotating menagerie of the secondary.

When teams lose, the bad behavior usually comes out. But I do agree that the Lions had a toxic mix there. I'm just not sure how much Suh isn't part of that. He had lots of enemies at NEB. He's very clever. Presents a good image in commercials and media appearances. Gives to charity.

But you look at the way he acts with all his traffic incidents. He thinks rules don't apply to him. All the nice stuff is a facade. In summation, I'm not saying he's a serial killer, I'm just saying I'm not sure he isn't

I don't think Sean Smith or Robinson are all that great, but their signings give the Chiefs a bunch of flexibility in the secondary.

I've read they're eyeing Robinson at FS, so they'd have Flowers, Smith, & Arenas at corner with Robinson and DeQuan Menzie with corner/safety options, and Husain Abdullah, Kendrick Lewis and Eric Berry locked at safety.

eznark

Banned
Suh had a good run:

Dave Birkett @davebirkett
By restructuring @ndmukong_suh's contract, the #Lions created $7.68 million in cap room. Suh's cap number for 2014, though, is now $21.4M

Dave Birkett @davebirkett
There's no way the Lions can franchise Suh should they not sign him before FA. The cost would be $25.7 million

Enjoy your last year with your "greatest core in football history" Kas.

WedgeX

Banned
Suh had a good run:

Enjoy your last year with your "greatest core in football history" Kas.

He is most certainly headed to SEA after the Lions.

I'm a big fan of Brady and made some creepy posts about his hair back in the day, which is probably where that came from, but not a Pats fan. I was born in Grand Rapids and raised as a Lions fan, although I don't live there anymore. Still more credence than 90% of Packers fans out there.

Makes sense!

Chase Daniels contract details:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

QB Chase Daniel received three-year, $10 million deal from Chiefs. $3.33 million per year. Per source.

Aaron Ross passed his physical and officially signed today as well:

Ebenezer Samuel @ebenezersamuel

Aaron Ross is officially back with Giants. Has passed his physical and signed.

effzee

Didn't someone from the Eagles say the same thing? Miami and Denver confirmed to crash.

Yeah well the Eagles drafted so poorly and were so late in the Reid era that no one, including the owner and Reid, had the patience to draft and rebuild yet again. So they tried to plug every hole with a FA. Holes they created themselves.

Anyway they signed talent but didn't account for how everyone would come together. It backfired big time but not because all the guys were malcontents. You still had the problem of the DLINE coach, Jim Washburn, basically running the D based on his Wide9 scheme, undermining the DC Castillo, who of course never coached D before in his life and was previously the OLINE coach. It go so bad according to reports that Washburn would call Castillo a girl in front of the players and yell at him.

Yet with all this happening in front of his eyes, Reid brought both back in the same role and it only got worse. And then instead of firing Washburn for being an asshole, he kept him, and fired Castillo. Washburn continued being a cunt and was eventually let go.

Just a toxic environment. Maybe if they had a good strong stable of defensive coaches and a real DC, all those pick ups would have worked.

I don't think Sean Smith or Robinson are all that great, but their signings give the Chiefs a bunch of flexibility in the secondary.

I've read they're eyeing Robinson at FS, so they'd have Flowers, Smith, & Arenas at corner with Robinson and DeQuan Menzie with corner/safety options, and Husain Abdullah, Kendrick Lewis and Eric Berry locked at safety.

Eric Berry should be an Eagle. Can't believe how many times Reid passed up talented Safeties to only draft DLINE busts.

jets lose bell and laundry :(

And with Revis most likely traded, how many starters does that leave from last years D? 2?

Eric Berry should be an Eagle. Can't believe how many times Reid passed up talented Safeties to only draft DLINE busts.
Earl Thomas being the most obvious one. I still remember watching that draft at a buddies house (he's an Eagles fan) and they announced the Eagles had moved up he went nuts "Earl Thomas! Gotta be Earl Thomas!" and then they announced Brandon Graham and he was like "WHO FUCK IS THAT?!".

:jnc

squicken

The AFC is so bad it's not impossible that Chiefs make a quick turnaround. Not really seeing any sort of huge deals that look awful, except maybe Bowe. Depends on his effort level going forward

Colasante

All I want is for the Pats to sign two legit corners or Talib and Reed.Pats aren't going to do shit though.

I haven't heard news about Brent Grimes visiting anybody, which makes me irrationally hope that means he's in secret meetings with the Patriots. Probably means he's just negotiating with the Falcons further. Still, I'd love it if they managed to sign both Talib and Grimes for around what Sean Smith is making.

eznark

Banned
NFL is proposing the elimination of the tuck rule. A QB's arm going forward would constitute a fumble.

This actually pretty much guarantees he is going to get a contract extension.
Will they have the room? Would you want it? Spreading out that massive cap hit (and adding to it with an extension) is going to be crippling for years.

squicken

Competition Committee is basically proposing that runners can't lower their heads when running. Frank Gore out of the league. Also no peel back blocks, even within tackle box. not sure how that affects wham blocks

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The Competition Committee will go after RBs who uses the crown of their helmet outside the tackle box. Knew this was coming.

TheFatOne

NFL is proposing the elimination of the tuck rule. A QB's arm going forward would constitute a fumble.

Will they have the room? Would you want it? Spreading out that massive cap hit (and adding to it with an extension) is going to be crippling for years.

No need to change a good rule. It's fine the way it is.

eznark

Banned
Competition Committee is basically proposing that runners can't lower their heads when running. Frank Gore out of the league. Also no peel back blocks, even within tackle box. not sure how that affects wham blocks

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The Competition Committee will go after RBs who uses the crown of their helmet outside the tackle box. Knew this was coming.

Pretty important distinction

LevelNth

Banned
49ers would get a 4th for a 7th round backup leaving? The compensatory picks are so confusing.
It doesn't exactly work that way, I'm being hyperbolic, but they are determined based on the size of the contracts of players leaving versus size of the contracts of players signed.

FA only. Released or traded players don't factor in.

So right now the Niners have lost 4 players (Sopoaga, Ricky Jean, Goldson and Walker) all to pretty large (min. 4m/year) contracts, and only signed Dorsey to a 2yr, 7m contract.

Earl Thomas being the most obvious one. I still remember watching that draft at a buddies house (he's an Eagles fan) and they announced the Eagles had moved up he went nuts "Earl Thomas! Gotta be Earl Thomas!" and then they announced Brandon Graham and he was like "WHO FUCK IS THAT?!".

One of these days we need to have an NFL-GAF meetup at the NFL Draft or something. I'd love to see some of the reaction live.

Draxal

The best part about that one is they thought the Giants were after Graham, when they were after JPP the entire time.

effzee

Ah don't remind me. I almost tore out my hair over that. Graham might round out to be a decent player though he has been either injured or minimally effective so far.

I want to punch Reid in his fat walrus face.

squicken

Pretty important distinction

Yeah I got that confused with the peel back proposal. Twitter says rule aimed at what got the Pats RB knocked out in the playoffs last year. Apparently Peterson is a big offender currently.

League also going to enforce leg pads, as well as poor field conditions

Top Bottom