• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Competition Committee is basically proposing that runners can't lower their heads when running. Frank Gore out of the league. Also no peel back blocks, even within tackle box. not sure how that affects wham blocks

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet
The Competition Committee will go after RBs who uses the crown of their helmet outside the tackle box. Knew this was coming.

What the fuck? Is this even football anymore?

For the new page:

Wrong agency and misreported on the Delmas deal. No deal as of yet...

Keenan Lewis will be a Saint:

Sean Jensen @seankjensen

CB Keenan Lewis will sign a five-year, $26 million, including $11 million guaranteed, with the Saints, a source says.

Jeff Backus is retiring for the Lions:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

The Lions announced that starting LT Jeff Backus is retiring. Well, that creates a need.

EDIT: Eagles sign Kenny Phillips:

#Eagles agree to terms with the following free agents: S Kenny Phillips (1 year) and CB Cary Williams (3 years)

Smokey

Remember that time you threw a fit and wanted to see birth certificates from people in NFL gaf while crying like a baby cause your team is ass? Remember when you disappeared for long periods of time because your 25 years of NFL watching betrayed you and your garbage ass predictions blew up in your face? Remember that time you started a thread about a girl looking at you in class, you pathetic virgin fuck?

Pow pow pow man down!

squicken

Is Favre still available?

The Vikes are putting it out that Cassell is not there to be compete, but can't put the genie back in the bottle that Schefter opened. It may signal that they will be drafting a QB with the extra pick

edit:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
Matt Cassel will average about $4m/yr with Minn, with chance to earn more if he plays. 2 yr deal can be voided after 2013 by the QB

Lot for a "backup"

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Wow, huge news about Backus I expected him to stay for at least one more year. That guarantees a pick on Oline at #5 or #36.

Matt Millen's first pick as our GM back in 2001, and he started every single game except for one last year. Its the end of an era. An era I'd like to forget.

effzee

Hold the phone, three years later
Walked outta the swamp with 10.5 gators

LUDA!

Loved that song.

For the new page:

Wrong agency and misreported on the Delmas deal. No deal as of yet...

Keenan Lewis will be a Saint:

Jeff Backus is retiring for the Lions:

EDIT: Eagles sign Kenny Phillips:

Fuck what the fuck are they doing? Of all the guys Chung and Philips? Ugh.

Like the pick up of Williams though. He sure can push a ref around!

Jackson to Atlanta:

Adam Schefter & #8207;@AdamSchefter
Another free-agent jolt: Rams free-agent RB Steven Jackson has reached agreement with the Atlanta Falcons.

Of all the guys Chung and Philips? Ugh.
The fuck? Phillips when healthy is a massive upgrade over the shit you have in the secondary. Health should be your only concern and if its a one year signing for cheap you made out...

I've given Backus shit at times but he gave his all for us every season. I'll always respect that. I wish he could have retired after seeing an actual team turnaround but with this organization that day might not come anytime soon.

Just watch Mayhew draft Fischer at #5 and a WR in the second round.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Remember that time you threw a fit and wanted to see birth certificates from people in NFL gaf while crying like a baby cause your team is ass? Remember when you disappeared for long periods of time because your 25 years of NFL watching betrayed you and your garbage ass predictions blew up in your face? Remember that time you started a thread about a girl looking at you in class, you pathetic virgin fuck?

untitled-16u2i18_zps7ac6daf3.gif

KingKong

if they were a competent team they would have admitted that Ponder didnt work out, gone after Smith and kept Harvin, but instead they end up with two terrible quarterbacks that have no one to throw to. Amazing

effzee

Wow, huge news about Backus I expected him to stay for at least one more year. That guarantees a pick on Oline at #5 or #36.

Matt Millen's first pick as our GM back in 2001, and he started every single game except for one last year. Its the end of an era. An era I'd like to forget.

You guys almost have to pick Fisher or Joeckel now don't you? Especially if you want to make sure Bush gets to 1800 yards.

I should probably be more concerned about the Vikings but I'm not.

Speilman is a very solid drafter and he has a ton of ammo. If we get results half as good as last year we will be in a very good position moving forward.

At this point I would really like to see them sign Jennings though.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Eagles gave former Ravens CB Cary Williams a three-year, $17 million deal, including $10.5 million guaranteed.

Curious to see what they paid for Kenny. He was pretty much done with the Giants after last season since he didn't like his role in the secondary so I'm sure they got a nice one year deal on him. Hate to see him go to a division rival. Great player when his knee isn't a mess.

WedgeX

Banned
Reiff was drafted last year for a reason. With Backus gone now too, he'd better fill LG, LT, or RT now.

Oh, Lions roster update!

QB: Stafford
WR: Megatron, Burleson, Broyles, Young Sr.
RB: Bush, Leshoure, Bell
TE: Pettigrew
RG: Sims
RT: Cherilus
C: Raola
LT: Backus
LG: Peterman

Possible roster replacements for the line include Reiff, Fox, Nagy, Austin, and Hilliard.

DE: Avril, vandenBosch, Young, Lewis
DT: Suh, Fairley
CB: Houston, about 30 rookies
FS: Delmas, Quin
SS: Spievey

Jones was added for depth both behind Suh/Fairely and on the ends.

K: Hanson
P: Harris, Clingan
LS: Muhlbach

A girl stared at me once whilst in class. I had a cup of coffee with her.

Did she keep staring at you over her coffee mug?

effzee

Jackson to Atlanta:

The fuck? Phillips when healthy is a massive upgrade over the shit you have in the secondary. Health should be your only concern and if its a one year signing for cheap you made out...

Of course but then again compared to what we have so is Chung. I don't mind Phillips as much I guess but of all the guys available I don't like the two we settled on. Quin and Goldson are both in their mid 20s and we had the money to get them.

Still 1 year deal isn't too bad.

Ravens lose another starter. What's the word on Cary Williams?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I've given Backus shit at times but he gave his all for us every season. I'll always respect that. I wish he could have retired after seeing an actual team turnaround but with this organization that day might not come anytime soon.

Just watch Mayhew draft Fischer at #5 and a WR in the second round.

Same here. Backus wasn't great overall but last year he played well. Huge blow to the line.

Now Detroit has to draft OL, and I worry that Fisher is gone at #5.

squicken

SJAX isn't washed up. Doesn't fumble, one of if not the best pass protection RBs, and can catch the ball out of the backfield. What he cannot do is create big plays. He was as much hampered by the Rams OL the past few years as the passing game

effzee

The Kenny Phillips news is fucking sickening. Literally makes me want to vomit.

The last time we stole someone from the Giants, it didn't work out too well for us.

If he is healthy its a great pick up. But a big IF.

Warming up to it though. Cary Williams I am kinda shocked about.

With him and Fletcher I guess drafting Milliner is out at #4.

Adam Caplan hinting Connor Barwin might be up next for the Eagles. If that happens all in all not a bad group of signings.

Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl
"Joker" up next for the Eagles? Stay tuned

Keenan Lewis deal is done, he is a Saint:

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Former Steelers CB Keenan Lewis reached agreement with Saints on five-year deal with max value of $26.3 million, including $10.5 mil gtd.

The last time we stole someone from the Giants, it didn't work out too well for us.
I'm hoping it works out just as well this time around...;)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I am definitely in the minority but I actually like that rule change about the runners outside the box making contact with the crown of their helmets. It's smart.

And, again, anybody who hates the rule changes can stop blaming the league and start focusing on the hundreds of retired players suing the league.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
I should probably be more concerned about the Vikings but I'm not.

Speilman is a very solid drafter and he has a ton of ammo. If we get results half as good as last year we will be in a very good position moving forward.

At this point I would really like to see them sign Jennings though.

This my same feeling. Last year shocked me. No need to worry at this moment.

Carey Williams on if the Ravens offered him a deal:

WNST ‏@WNST
Williams: "I didn't get anything from them, and that's what happened. There was no deal on the table. That 15 million was off the table."

I think that was pretty damn clear heading into the offseason.

effzee

Same here. Backus wasn't great overall but last year he played well. Huge blow to the line.

Now Detroit has to draft OL, and I worry that Fisher is gone at #5.

All depends on the Eagles I would think. If they sign one of the FA RTs (fingers crossed on Sebastian Vollmer) then Fischer will be there at 5. If they don't sign one by the draft, then yeah I don't see Fisher lasting past the Eagles.

Another scenario that is possible though unlikely is that if Danny Watkins develops at all they can leave Todd Heremanns at RT and Watkins start at Guard.

Top Bottom