• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

MechDX

Bye Barwin! Maybe if you focused on football and not being a prius driving, blogging hipster you would have been paid here!

Mercilous time!!!

squicken

So squicken, what can I realistically expect from SJAX?

Good pass pro. Hasn't fumbled in like 300 touches. Good pass catcher. Low TD numbers more a function of opportunity than lack of ability. Much better than Quizz or Turner were last year, but he won't be adding some big play element to the run game. Should still look for that in the draft, b/c you'll need to pace him for the playoff run. He wasn't injured, but he has a lot of miles, and the last half of the year, he didn't practice

I'm all for signing Gibson, might as well keep improving the WR's. They had about 40 mil of cap space going into free agency and they've saved a little more by cutting guys like Dansby.

The Rams are down to nothing with Amendola and SJAX gone. Gibby was the lone guy with much experience at a skill position. You know how bad the Rams WR group was, yet the Rams didn't try and bring him back

Why would you want him if his old team with a gaping need at WR didn't?

jakncoke

Banned
what a day pitt loses to cuse and we lose lewis to the aints. what the dollar amount?

edit nvm 26.5 and 10.5 guaranteed. man we backed ourself against the cap so much we cant even afford that

bionic77

Is there any question he's going to flourish with Peyton? I saw a stat that Manning completes over 73% of his passes to the slot receivers. Even with Welker's increased drop rate lately he's going to be an incredible asset.
I have no doubts on Welker but who knows about Peyton.

Getting Welker seems almost unfair for the Broncos. If Peyton can regain the ability to throw a spiral past 15 yards then the AFC might be fucked.

Milchjon

I wonder if he is prepared to go from pitcher to catcher.

You're the worst.

:jnc

Also, that's sad. Pats pug's gonna cry all over again.
PHOTO_16457991_148597_33525845_ap.jpg

The Rams are down to nothing with Amendola and SJAX gone. Gibby was the lone guy with much experience at a skill position. You know how bad the Rams WR group was, yet the Rams didn't try and bring him back

Why would you want him if his old team with a gaping need at WR didn't?
You mean like the Pats and Welker? I get what you're saying but I don't know all the issues since I don't keep up with the Rams much. What are your thoughts on Gibson, though? Are there some good reasons why the Rams wouldn't mind losing him?

exarkun

Damn Barwin only got 3 sacks last year, and that was with JJ in the midlle.

I mean, they moved him around ALOT. Put Merciulus is sometimes, etc. Not gonna make excuses, and it might be kind of a shitty deal, but its not bad. His 2011 season was great! So if he flashes that potential during his time in Philly, its a good deal.

10 million guaranteed. Same as Amendola.

The rumor is now that Amendola signed before Welker on Tuesday and the Pats just didn't announce it. Either way sounds fucking dumb.

I thought only 10 million guaranteed?
The initial report said it was all guaranteed at 6 million/year. I could be wrong...

effzee

That's worth 6 years, 36 million and up to 40 mill with incentives.

No guaranteed money though as of yet so it might not be quite as bad as that sounds...

Sounds like a lot but again NFL contracts don't mean shit. 2 off seasons ago Eagles went out and spent tons of money and they still are one of the teams with the most cap space this off season.

Not anymore maybe but still. If he is good then great for us. If not I don't see how they can't walk away from him and his contract just like they just did with Nnamdi, Jenkins, and a bunch of other veterans.

What I do love about this move is that though he has been at most a solid starter, he is at least a starter caliber LB. And we haven't had that. Plus if he we are switching to a 3-4 he fits the system and again allows them to select the BPA @ 4 without worrying about drafting for a need. They could still draft Jordan and just load up on pass rushers.

MechDX

I mean, they moved him around ALOT. Put Merciulus is sometimes, etc. Not gonna make excuses, and it might be kind of a shitty deal, but its not bad. His 2011 season was great! So if he flashes that potential during his time in Philly, its a good deal.

4 of his 11 sacks in 2011 came in one game against the Jags....

effzee

Which is why I said to wait for the guaranteed money cause that does mean shit.

Even then hipster environment friendly Lurie probably liked Barwin's causes enough to justify the money.

I am assuming this is it for us. Maybe another veteran or two later down the road but in terms of the "big" signings this is probably it.

Which also means if Fisher is there at 4 I don't think we pass him up. Bye bye Watkins unless he takes a huge cut to be a back up G.

squicken

You mean like the Pats and Welker? I get what you're saying but I don't know all the issues since I don't keep up with the Rams much. What are your thoughts on Gibson, though? Are there some good reasons why the Rams wouldn't mind losing him?

He's probably fine as a 3rd WR. But can't beat press and like B said, just has brutally timed drops

Talon

Good pass pro. Hasn't fumbled in like 300 touches. Good pass catcher. Low TD numbers more a function of opportunity than lack of ability. Much better than Quizz or Turner were last year, but he won't be adding some big play element to the run game. Should still look for that in the draft, b/c you'll need to pace him for the playoff run. He wasn't injured, but he has a lot of miles, and the last half of the year, he didn't practice
We have Quizz and Snelling to pace him. Snelling's a guy you never hear about outside of Atlanta, but he's old reliable...and niftier on his feet than Turner, a very good receiver out of the backfield, and a willing blocker.

I don't see any scenario where we carry 4 tailbacks.

Top Bottom