• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

i'm not even talking about off field issues. just from a production standpoint, the seahawks gave up way too much. what do you expect harvin to do for the seahawks? play in 16 games? have 1000 yards receiving? be an mvp candidate? lulz. harvin is no better than 3rd amongst NFC west WR's on his best day.

great return guy though! but are you going to have your $67 million man returning kicks?

I watched the dude win FLA a national title game. Tebow got all the pub but Harvin was all over the field. You are right, he's not a traditional WR. He'll take pitches out of motion, the rare handoff, screens, short passes in space. He makes people miss and breaks tackles. Rare NFL skills that cannot be coached

Kiryu

i'm not even talking about off field issues. just from a production standpoint, the seahawks gave up way too much. what do you expect harvin to do for the seahawks? play in 16 games? have 1000 yards receiving? be an mvp candidate? lulz. harvin is no better than 3rd amongst NFC west WR's on his best day.

great return guy though! but are you going to have your $67 million man returning kicks?
Harvin is better than any first round draft picks that would have been for Seahawks so Seahawks and Viking have a "Win-win" trade.

You may say "Take Greg Jenning, 1st, 3rd, and 7th pick" but Viking got no QB to throw to G. Jenning.

brentech

Finished connecting the PC together. Successful POST.
Do need to order a DVI-DVI cable since the brand new monitor did not supply it >.<

Also ordering a new mouse and maybe keyboard.

Don't worry if you can't get me Win8 Future, not a big deal if not, but just let me know when you get the chance after meeting up with your friend.

Was a little worried building this system, never had such a large heatsink to attach.

Yeah it's silly to say it doesn't matter. Like I said earlier, the Redskins did shit wrong all the time. That they also did FA wrong with great frequency doesn't make it a silly endeavor. Also, teams with elite QBs are always going to be in contention, while also not having the cap room to shop at the high end of free agency (unless the team has a QB on a rookie deal). It's having the elite QB that makes them winners, not avoiding big deals free agency
I don't think the point of the article is to say that it doesn't matter. It's that you can't build a team through FA primarily. If you're building the core of your team that way than you've obviously fucked yourself in the draft over an extended period of time. The Giants FA moves listed bolstered and filled holes but the core of the team was there already.

cdyhybrid

He was only the leading candidate for OPOY before he got hurt.

Get an iPhone.

But I want to play games.

squicken

Jason Cole &#8207;@JasonColeYahoo
I wonder what Greg Jennings' sister will tweet after she sees Ponder throw?

lulz

I don't think the point of the article is to say that it doesn't matter. It's that you can't build a team through FA primarily. If you're building the core of your team that way than you've obviously fucked yourself in the draft over an extended period of time. The Giants FA moves listed bolstered and filled holes but the core of the team was there already.

Yeah can't build core, though wasn't Plax are core guy on that first SB team?

Yeah can't build core, though wasn't Plax are core guy on that first SB team?
Yeah, can't argue much against that. One of the bigger FA signings the Giants have done over the years (the Canty and Rolle contracts being the other but they filled obvious needs at the time).

I watched the dude win FLA a national title game. Tebow got all the pub but Harvin was all over the field. You are right, he's not a traditional WR. He'll take pitches out of motion, the rare handoff, screens, short passes in space. He makes people miss and breaks tackles. Rare NFL skills that cannot be coached

lol now i can't tell if you are trolling or not. who gives a fuck what he did in college. and for all of his incredible talent last year, he averaged 11 ypc. not even top 30 in the league. he is a dangerous guy in some regards and that has to be respected but he is being paid like he's elite and the seahawks gave up draft picks that would be for an elite wr and he is not an elite wr

effzee

Which was the case for the Eagles. Before 2011 they would sign a guy here and there or maybe one big name but mainly their core was always built through the draft. Reid's first big signing was Jon Runyan. Then 5 years later with TO and Kearse. Then 3 years later with Asante and then 4 years later when they went nuts in 2011.

But they had. They thought they had enough of a core to make a SB run but their poor drafting left some huge holes on the defensive side. So they thought they could sign a bunch of players. And who knows it might have worked, or worked much better than it did, if at the same time Reid wasn't too busy experimenting with the coaching staff.

Teams draft busts over and over. Or sign players who are overrated. You can doom your team with poor drafts and over spending. Either way you need to be smart in both. If you are amazing at drafting and have a franchise QB you are pretty much set for a good 5 seasons. You can sign guys to make that big run. IF NOT then you better get better at drafting and probably need to hit on more FAs.

bionic77

Packers fans think he is expendable but I always bought Jennings was really good. Better than Wallace and Harvin, but with only 2-3 years left.

He was only the leading candidate for OPOY before he got hurt.

lol really? so lets say he replicated exactly what he was doing prior to the injury. his stat line would have been:

104 rec, 1,354 yards, 6 TD
44 rushes, 192 yards, 2 TD

those are the numbers of an offensive player of the year?? heheheha. alright

eznark

Banned
Packers fans think he is expendable but I always bought Jennings was really good. Better than Wallace and Harvin, but with only 2-3 years left.

Definitely better than Wallace. Not Harvin.

It's not that he isn't good, but the Packers still have fucking Nelson, Cobb and Jones. Not to mention Finley. Spending money on Jennings would have been dumb.

Kiryu

lol now i can't tell if you are trolling or not. who gives a fuck what he did in college. and for all of his incredible talent last year, he averaged 11 ypc. not even top 30 in the league. he is a dangerous guy in some regards and that has to be respected but he is being paid like he's elite and the seahawks gave up draft picks that would be for an elite wr and he is not an elite wr
Really? Seahawks won't get any elite WR at #25 overall pick and Percy Harvin is way better than that draft pick.

squicken

It's not a slam dunk for SEA b/c it's so much money and draft capital. I think he is a unique talent that just wasn't fully used by MIN. He was on the most talent rich college team I have ever seen, and was the clear star, doing lots of non-WR things to win the game. MIN did that with him, but I think SEA will do it better b/c of how great the QB and rest of the team around him are

It's kind of like asking me who the better 4th round pick will be. I may never heard of either guy, so when it's close, I'll just go with the better organization

cdyhybrid

lol really? so lets say he replicated exactly what he was doing prior to the injury. his stat line would have been:

104 rec, 1,354 yards, 6 TD
44 rushes, 192 yards, 2 TD

those are the numbers of an offensive player of the year?? heheheha. alright

With no QB and as the only WR on the team? Yeah.

Don't be afraid, just squicken already. You're stressing yourself out about this and minicamps haven't even started.

Besides it was the national media that gave him that label, not me.

Godslay

Banned
Statement from Elway on Dumervil
Posted 3 minutes ago
By DenverBroncos.com
A statement from EVP of Football Operations John Elway on defensive end Elvis Dumervil.

STATEMENT FROM DENVER BRONCOS EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS JOHN ELWAY:

&#8220;For the last week, Elvis Dumervil and his agent were aware of our desire to change the financial terms of his contract to ensure he would remain a Denver Bronco. After numerous conversations with both Elvis and his representative, we submitted our final contract proposal to Elvis today at 11 a.m. MDT. Based on our previous discussions, we believed our offer was fair and were hopeful it would resolve this matter.

&#8220;Due to the procedural elements that were involved in executing the new proposal, we imposed a 1 p.m. MDT deadline for a decision, one hour before the NFL&#8217;s waiver wire at 2 p.m. MDT. Our deadline was clearly communicated to Elvis&#8217; representative.

&#8220;At 1 p.m. MDT, we were informed by Elvis&#8217; representative that he declined our offer. We then prepared Elvis&#8217; termination notice to officially file his release with the NFL office.

&#8220;At approximately 1:25 p.m. MDT, however, we were informed that Elvis changed his mind and accepted the same contract we proposed nearly two-and-a-half hours earlier. Although we expressed our concern regarding the time constraints, we were assured that the signed documents would be submitted to us before the league&#8217;s waiver deadline.

&#8220;We did not receive the documents from Elvis by the league&#8217;s deadline and were forced to release him shortly before 2 p.m. MDT.

&#8220;Due to this situation, there are now salary cap implications associated with this transaction that we must consider with regard to potentially re-signing Elvis. At this moment, we are discussing all of our free-agency options to determine what&#8217;s best for the Denver Broncos.&#8221;

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Statement-from-Elway-on-Dumervil/020fdc76-b358-488b-a9d1-2de642fc3b80

Fucking idiot agent.

I also noticed Squicken pointed out 4 million+ in dead cap money. That would have happened if we released Elvis earlier in the week, no change there. 12 million dollars saved, 4 million in dead cap.

Draxal

It depends on what you consider the core in all honesty. The 2007-8 teams, the oline was really strong and I would consider O-Hara/Mackenzie the core in that along with Snee. But obviously by 2012 Mackenzie was no longer part of that core.

Brees is pretty much the core of the Saints right now.

It's just so easy to use free agency wrongly, you have to use it as a scalpel and not a hammer.

He was expendable since the Packes know how to draft wrs. A lot of teams don't.

Godslay

Banned
Rich Eisen &#8207;@richeisen
Jets fans are now lamenting that the fax worked perfectly for the Tebow transaction.

What might have been Fox318!

Definitely better than Wallace. Not Harvin.

It's not that he isn't good, but the Packers still have fucking Nelson, Cobb and Jones. Not to mention Finley. Spending money on Jennings would have been dumb.
But now we'll probably keep Finley. This sucks.

Screw you, Jennings! ;_;

But now we'll probably keep Finley. This sucks.

Screw you, Jennings! ;_;

Finley will turn it around this year, you'll see!

...12 months later...

Finley will turn it around this year, you'll see!

I wonder what the issue will be this year. Now that we've finally got the mystical mojo between Rodgers and Finley fixed, I have a feeling this year's season long saga will revolve around Finley's equipment just not feeling right. Red Batty will have his hands full this year; lots of extra time will be spent between he and Finley outside of the laundry room to make sure they're on the same page. The drama will be riveting

brentech

Greg jennings abou to put the Vikebike on his back

wooooooooooooo(provided he stops doing commercials)

Ponder could turn into something, but I doubt he becomes more than mediocre position filler.
Still a chance, but I expect to see a lot of underthrown balls in their future. This is already knowing what he's done with AP distracting defenses all game.

Can't wait for his sister's explosions.

eznark

Banned
Nearly $10m a year for 5 years with $18m guaranteed??????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It's not a slam dunk for SEA b/c it's so much money and draft capital. I think he is a unique talent that just wasn't fully used by MIN. He was on the most talent rich college team I have ever seen, and was the clear star, doing lots of non-WR things to win the game. MIN did that with him, but I think SEA will do it better b/c of how great the QB and rest of the team around him are

It's kind of like asking me who the better 4th round pick will be. I may never heard of either guy, so when it's close, I'll just go with the better organization

uh, the vikings used him exactly as you described his strengths. he's not an elite WR and i don't even think you would argue that he is.

With no QB and as the only WR on the team? Yeah.

Don't be afraid, just squicken already. You're stressing yourself out about this and minicamps haven't even started.

Besides it was the national media that gave him that label, not me.

i like how you leave out that the vikings had the best RB in the league. most elite WR's would take advantage of that. also, that "awful" QB got the vikings to the playoffs without percy "elite WR" harvin. the vikings were 5-2 without harvin, 5-4 with him.... so yeah, definitely an elite WR!

Really? Seahawks won't get any elite WR at #25 overall pick and Percy Harvin is way better than that draft pick.

lol what? so you already know how each and every draft pick will turn out? you should be hired by an NFL team!

squicken

18m guaranteed, 27m over 3 years. It's high for sure. He's worth it if healthy. Obviously HUGE if

edit: Harvin is an elite player. But as a WR, not elite. Have to find a way to get him touches. Similar to how Tavon Austin will have to be used

well seeing the terms on Jennings I'd be scared of either deal, but that's as a Rams fan, where injury gambles never pay off

Wes

venison crêpe
Evan Silva &#8207; @ evansilva

NFL Network's @ RapSheet is hearing # Cardinals are "unlikely" to draft a QB in the 1st round (So Stanton vs. Hoyer.):

Top Bottom