• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

If Harvins attitude problem is fixed he will be amazing in Seattle. This coming from a Vikings fan. If you don't think what he brings in the Receiving/Running/Return game makes him elite then I would be interested in hearing what players you think on the 49ers are elite.

Also the main reason his YPC wasn't huge is because the majority of his passes were either at the line of scrimmage or 1 to 2 yards out and then he would turn it into something.

eznark

Banned
I actually wonder how much his terrible selfish attitude ended up helping him get a big contract from Seattle. They attributed ALL of his injury history to faking it. Normally if you see a player missing significant time due to brain issues they aren't getting much guaranteed money. Being a whiny twat ended up helping him a ton.

If Harvins attitude problem is fixed he will be amazing in Seattle. This coming from a Vikings fan. If you don't think what he brings in the Receiving/Running/Return game makes him elite then I would be interested in hearing what players you think on the 49ers are elite.

tell me what he "brings" to the receiving/running/return game. cause the numbers certainly don't show it. what else should i base it on if not his prior production?

Also the main reason his YPC wasn't huge is because the majority of his passes were either at the line of scrimmage or 1 to 2 yards out and then he would turn it into something.

which is the main reason that his yards after the catch were high

cdyhybrid

Athleticism != Production.

Based on numbers, there are guys that are better than Harvin right now. He does have more potential than other guys due to that athleticism, but he doesn't apply it as effectively as less athletic guys do.

With that being said, Welker is more effective at applying athleticism in order to produce.

Welker's best year is considerably better than anything Harvin has produced in a full season. Even if you extrapolate last year's production over 16 games, he doesn't come close to Welker's best year.

I think you are underestimating Welker's ability to produce barring the gifts of elite athleticism.

I won't deny that Welker is elite at what he does. I'm just saying that if Harvin reached his potential, he would be clearly superior to Welker, and I think the situation he is in now (compared to the situation in Minnesota) gives him a MUCH better chance to reach that potential.

Perhaps I misspoke by calling him an elite player. I'll admit that I probably should have said elite talent, since elite player would also imply elite numbers.

Godslay

Banned
If Harvin's production matched his potential he probably wouldn't have been available in a trade.

Sure, he got the deal based on his ability. If he can leverage his talent to production on the field, he's going to be great. From the sounds of it, he's the perfect fit for the offense in Seattle, and he got paid. So he sound have no more barriers to being fucking amazing.

I won't deny that Welker is elite at what he does. I'm just saying that if Harvin reached his potential, he would be clearly superior to Welker, and I think the situation he is in now (compared to the situation in Minnesota) gives him a MUCH better chance to reach that potential.

Perhaps I misspoke by calling him an elite player. I'll admit that I probably should have said elite talent, since elite player would also imply elite numbers.

Agreed. An elite player is proven by numbers, an elite talent is based upon athleticism, skills, etc.

WedgeX

Banned
tell me what he "brings" to the receiving/running/return game. cause the numbers certainly don't show it. what else should i base it on if not his prior production?

He can be an elite player. When he's not Curtlering out of games. Or actually having headaches.

He can be an elite player. When he's not Curtlering out of games. Or actually having headaches.

but a lot of people "COULD" be elite players in the NFL. people make excuses for harvin being on a shitty team.... where are those excuses for a guy like calvin johnson? or larry fitzgerald? or a laundry list of other guys who have put up numbers over the years on bad teams

cdyhybrid

Top 8 in total yards his first three years (missed a bunch of games last year due to injury)

Top 6 in yards/touch his first three years, he was #9 last year

#1 in yards/kick return the last two years

Top 6 in kick return TDs every year in the league including #1 in 2011 and #2 in 2012

He averaged 8.9 YAC last season, 6.5 the two seasons before

but a lot of people "COULD" be elite players in the NFL. people make excuses for harvin being on a shitty team.... where are those excuses for a guy like calvin johnson? or larry fitzgerald? or a laundry list of other guys who have put up numbers over the years on bad teams

Fitz's numbers are very underwhelming once Warner left, though. Megatron is a freak among freaks and although we like to bag on Stafford, he's not a bad QB. Nowhere near Ponder, that's for sure.

and in non-football news, holy smokes the new david bowie album is so good! not much of a fan of modern bowie (lots of hit and miss) but this album is good from beginning to end! it'll take a few more months of listening to make the ultimate judgement but i'm pretty impressed!

if you are a bowie fan you should buy the album or illegally download it. if you aren't a bowie fan then go fuck yourself

Waste of Spaeth is back now? Are you kidding me? What in the blue fuck is this front office smoking...whatever it is, it's making Santonio Holmes jealous. I liked it better when the Steelers didn't sign anybody at all.

Kacar

That Football Outsiders 2011 had Malcolm Floyd as the 6th best WR.

But I still don't think harvin is top ten, hes good, proabably like 10-15 WR range.

Top 8 in total yards his first three years (missed a bunch of games last year due to injury)

Top 6 in yards/touch his first three years, he was #9 last year

#1 in yards/kick return the last two years

Top 6 in kick return TDs every year in the league including #1 in 2011 and #2 in 2012

He averaged 8.9 YAC last season, 6.5 the two seasons before

i'll give you that he is an elite KR! my whole point when i started this discussion is that he is overpaid: the seahawks gave up too many picks and what they paid him is too much for what he does (although they could cut him loose after this year and not take much of a hit)

Fitz's numbers are very underwhelming once Warner left, though. Megatron is a freak among freaks and although we like to bag on Stafford, he's not a bad QB. Nowhere near Ponder, that's for sure.

fitz has put up better numbers than harvin with drastically worse QB's than ponder. you may not think ponder is great (and he isn't) but he is much better than anything arizona has trotted out since warner left.

as for calvin, he has put up massive numbers before stafford. 1300 yards on an 0-16 team

Godslay

Banned
i'll give you that he is an elite KR! my whole point when i started this discussion is that he is overpaid: the seahawks gave up too many picks and what they paid him is too much for what he does (although they could cut him loose after this year and not take much of a hit)

He's the missing cog to that offense, that's why they paid as much as they did. He should make the offense that much more difficult to stop.

Harvin never disappears in games that he is in. The only reason he does not have elite numbers is because he either missed games due to migraines or because he was pissed off. That's why I said IF his attitude problem is fixed he will be elite. It's a big if because you have to have the right guys around him to reel him in, and personally if Frazier(who is respected by pretty much all his players) and AP can't do it I have no clue who can. Pete and Wilson have there work cut out for them.

harSon

Banned
Waste of Spaeth is back now? Are you kidding me? What in the blue fuck is this front office smoking...whatever it is, it's making Santonio Holmes jealous. I liked it better when the Steelers didn't sign anybody at all.

This off season hurts :( I'm pessimistic for the first time in a long time going into the next season...

I agree they paid him way too much, it should have been heavily incentive based at least so that if he decides to pout he is just throwing his own money away.

cdyhybrid

His versatility is what really sold the front office, I think. It'll make the option that much harder to defend. They can line up with Wilson in the pistol with Lynch behind him and Harvin next to him and do all kinds of shit out of a formation like that. And the threat his athleticism provides will open things up for everyone else on that offense.

Harvin never disappears in games that he is in. The only reason he does not have elite numbers is because he either missed games due to migraines or because he was pissed off. That's why I said IF his attitude problem is fixed he will be elite. It's a big if because you have to have the right guys around him to reel him in, and personally if Frazier(who is respected by pretty much all his players) and AP can't do it I have no clue who can. Pete and Wilson have there work cut out for them.

Everyone seems to love Pete and Russell so I'm not too worried about it. They wouldn't have brought him in if they didn't think they'd be able to handle him. This is the same front office that was willing to give TO and Braylon Edwards shots.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
This is why I am so flabbergasted. The dude had zilch on offense in Minnesota aside from Peterson and the main facilitator of his production (catching passes) was awful - PLUS he had injury issues and still managed to put up very good numbers when healthy.

Now he's coming to a team with a very good QB, a comparable running game, and better receiving talent around him, and people are acting like his numbers are going to be same as they were in Minnesota.

The adderall. DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE ADDERALL!

squicken

It's not near as far fetched. I think Harvin's one of the top talents at WR, like how Desean Jackson is. He's better than Jackson, though. Still has some untapped potential since he won't have guys like Jackson/Webb/Ponder throwing him the ball.

We've had crazy comparisons in here, for instance: Pierre Garçon > Larry Fitzgerald

Glad you agree with me Striker

..and going completely off topic. Tonights entertainment:

ilLNSZb36wmAW.JPG

squicken

I would also take Vincent Jackson over Harvin, but he's one DUI from being out of football. Plays hard though. Just had trouble with AJ Smith, and that's on AJ b/c so did everyone else

harSon

Banned
My Sundays might be free this fall.

I'll have the Pirates to rely on in the Fall :D ... D:

Or maybe the Steelers will channel their inner Penguin and overcome injuries, and have Kunitz-esque breakout seasons from some of its players!

Or maybe the Penguins can just win the Stanley Cup and I'll ride the victory high all the way through the NFL season :|

The likely scenario is me succumbing to Alcoholism.

WedgeX

Banned

I agree wholeheartedly.

i don't think anyone should get down on their team in march/april/may. so much crazy shit happens every year that you can't predict. who would have thought wussle would be so good last year and turn the seachickens into a contender? who would have thought joe flacco would be a superbowl winning QB? who would have thought the colts would be a playoff team after going 2-14 the year before?

that is the beauty of the NFL!

Haven't seen Willow, an exgirlfriend loved it though. Is it similar to something like Labyrinth?
Think along the lines of The Hobbit without the bloat and glorious 80's effects and sensibilities (Murren, Tippett and other effects heavy weights working their magic) A staple of my childhood. I remember begging my parents to take me to see it when I was 10-11.

As mentioned, the BD/DVD combo just came out. It's 15 on Amazon.

squicken

i don't think anyone should get down on their team in march/april/may. so much crazy shit happens every year that you can't predict. who would have thought wussle would be so good last year and turn the seachickens into a contender? who would have thought joe flacco would be a superbowl winning QB? who would have thought the colts would be a playoff team after going 2-14 the year before?

that is the beauty of the NFL!

You and I both called AZ being shit before the draft. Some teams suck. I also called the Colts but you guys can't be at Professor Football's level so I won't hold that against you

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
..and going completely off topic. Tonights entertainment:

Get out of my head Charles!

Just saw Wreck it Ralph tonight and its already one of my favorite animated movies of all time. I hope they make a sequel since there's so much they could expand on with the premise.

Godslay

Banned
Think along the lines of The Hobbit without the bloat and glorious 80's effects and sensibilities (Murren, Tippett and other effects heavy weights working their magic) A staple of my childhood. I remember begging my parents to take me to see it when I was 10-11.

As mentioned, the BD/DVD combo just came out. It's 15 on Amazon.

Random fact:

The lead character in Willow was also in Labyrinth. The little guy has a pretty interesting career. He's been in quite a few blockbusters. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hitchhiker's Guide, Ray, etc.

i used to love williow. i remember i watched the shit out of that movie on the vhs i had as a kid. i haven't seen it in years but i guarantee it stands the test of time. plus you get to see the rare non-fat val kilmer.

one time when i was working at a record store in hollywood val kilmer came in (this was in the early 2000's). he came in looking fucking tore up. wearing a grimey hawaiian shirt, flip flops, john stockon looking shorts.... just looking real disheveled and obviously high as fuck. so he's looking around for a bit and starts to hit up on this banging hot chick and after talking to her for a few minutes he scores her number and she is giggling and so on with him. must be nice to be famous :(

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I still love Willow but I showed it to my wife just a few years ago, and she hated it.....

I'm not sure if it holds up since the effects were eclipsed by shows like Hercules much less stuff like LOTR.

Top Bottom