• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Think along the lines of The Hobbit without the bloat and glorious 80's effects and sensibilities (Murren, Tippett and other effects heavy weights working their magic) A staple of my childhood. I remember begging my parents to take me to see it when I was 10-11.

As mentioned, the BD/DVD combo just came out. It's 15 on Amazon.

Sounds cool, I'll check it out. 8)

Also, 40 days until the NFL draft!

Damn, just got on facebook. My packer friends are excellent at weaving together status updates that get the point across that they dont care that Jennings is leaving because he's old n' busted but at the same time are completely pissed and slingin' unsolicited insults at Viking fans.

lol.

In all seriousness Jennings is getting a bit more than I'd feel comfortable with but whatever, the Vikings have cap space.

I still love Willow but I showed it to my wife just a few years ago, and she hated it.....

I'm not sure if it holds up since the effects were eclipsed by shows like Hercules much less stuff like LOTR.
I'm a sucker for 80s effects work. Stop motion, puppeteering etc. Being a child of the 80s it has a charm that's timeless for me. Willow 18 years holds up better today for me than something like The Phantom Menace from an effe ts standpoint.

Warwick Davis has indeed had a heckuva career. For you Star Wars fans, he's the man underneath the suit for Wicket n ROTJ. More recently, he played the banking goblin in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows and he's in Jack and The Giant Slayer.

brentech

Damn, just got on facebook. My packer friends are excellent at weaving together status updates that get the point across that they dont care that Jennings is leaving because he's old n' busted but at the same time are completely pissed and slingin' unsolicited insults at Viking fans.

lol.

In all seriousness Jennings is getting a bit more than I'd feel comfortable with but whatever, the Vikings have cap space.
He's a pretty good receiver. Probably top 15 in the league, but he didn't play most the season and the Packers are stacked at the position.

Nice to have him stay if it happened, but at the same time he's getting up in age for a non super elite WR and it's not likely he'll make it to end of contract as a starter. We have young guys that need to start getting on the field.

I don't act like it's nothing, but I trust Ted and for the reasons above.

Colasante

I'm finally catching up on all of the Patriots news from today.

I love the Adrian Wilson signing. Can be a perfect mentor for Tavon Wilson and can replace Spikes as a linebacker in the sub defense. Donald Jones was a fine signing. I'm pretty excited about Emmanuel Sanders. Initially I wasn't sure he was worth a 3rd round pick, but then I remember we probably wasted a 3rd on Bequette last year so it's more acceptable. I'm not sure how good he actually is though, I never really took notice of him watching Steelers games.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I'm a sucker for 80s effects work. Stop motion, puppeteering etc. Being a child of the 80s it has a charm that's timeless for me. Willow 18 years holds up better today for me than something like The Phantom Menace from an effe ts standpoint.

Warwick Davis has indeed had a heckuva career. For you Star Wars fans, he's the man underneath the suit for Wicket n ROTJ. More recently, he played the banking goblin in Harry Potter and The Deathly Hollows and he's in Jack and The Giant Slayer.

Oh I love Labryinth and all that stuff but there are parts like the two headed monster where it felt like Lucas didn't bring his A game. It's still one of my fond childhood memories but it doesn't hold up as well as others. I'll agree that a lot of this CGI stuff looks like garbage more than the janky 80s stuff. I'll take real effects over CG any day.

effzee

He's a pretty good receiver. Probably top 15 in the league, but he didn't play most the season and the Packers are stacked at the position.

Nice to have him stay if it happened, but at the same time he's getting up in age for a non super elite WR and it's not likely he'll make it to end of contract as a starter. We have young guys that need to start getting on the field.

I don't act like it's nothing, but I trust Ted and for the reasons above.

I can't seem to remember but has he had a history of injuries? Only remember this past season being major.

49ers are looking at Craig Dahl. Good Lord please sign there, Craig!

his highlights. GIF overload. May crash browser

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/1/11/3865382/heres-craig-dahls-2012-season-through-gifs

as a special teams player. i don't see the harm. we just signed a guy from the browns yesterday to fill a special teams hole (we've lost 3 core special teams players so far.... well not lost but they are FA's and haven't resigned)

edit-

actually after looking at those gifs i dont even want him on special teams

bionic77

I'm finally catching up on all of the Patriots news from today.

I love the Adrian Wilson signing. Can be a perfect mentor for Tavon Wilson and can replace Spikes as a linebacker in the sub defense. Donald Jones was a fine signing. I'm pretty excited about Emmanuel Sanders. Initially I wasn't sure he was worth a 3rd round pick, but then I remember we probably wasted a 3rd on Bequette last year so it's more acceptable. I'm not sure how good he actually is though, I never really took notice of him watching Steelers games.
Sanders is talented. Has a problem with fumbling. Not sure where he fits in their offense.

He is also dead to me. Hope he gets hurt or drops a lot of passes.

as a special teams player. i don't see the harm. we just signed a guy from the browns yesterday to fill a special teams hole (we've lost 3 core special teams players so far.... well not lost but they are FA's and haven't resigned)

edit-

actually after looking at those gifs i dont even want him on special teams

We know dude, we know

brentech

I think its only been last year.

He always seemed healthy enough to torch the vikings.
He missed time his first few seasons, then stayed healthy for a few seasons, then has missed more and more lately.
Not horrible history, but early on I thought he might be injury prone. Starting to seem that way again.

He missed time his first few seasons, then stayed healthy for a few seasons, then has missed more and more lately.
Not horrible history, but early on I thought he might be injury prone. Starting to seem that way again.

Well he certainly wont be getting as much mileage per game lol.

So Im not too worried.

effzee

Personally I think its a good pick up for you guys. He might not stretch the field like Harvin could but you got rid of a headache, gained a 2nd 1st round pick, and added a veteran WR who is 10 times better than everything else you have.

If Ponder pans out and improves you at least have skill position players to work with now. I wonder now if the Vikings draft a WR with one of the firsts they have.

SummitAve

Banned
Personally I think its a good pick up for you guys. He might not stretch the field like Harvin could but you got rid of a headache, gained a 2nd 1st round pick, and added a veteran WR who is 10 times better than everything else you have.

If Ponder pans out and improves you at least have skill position players to work with now. I wonder now if the Vikings draft a WR with one of the firsts they have.

Stretch the field like Harvin?? Harvin has never had a downfield game. Vikings haven't had somebody who could stretch the field since....Sydney Rice?? ...Fuck you Bernard Berrian.

Greg Jennings = Theon Greyjoy

url_zps7a563dfb.jpg

Sanders is talented. Has a problem with fumbling. Not sure where he fits in their offense.

He is also dead to me. Hope he gets hurt or drops a lot of passes.

Hold the phone, he hasn't signed anything....yet. And if he does, the Steelers can still match. And if they don't, who cares. After he bombs in NE the Steelers will pick him back up in 2 or 3 years.

Colasante

Hold the phone, he hasn't signed anything....yet. And if he does, the Steelers can still match. And if they don't, who cares. After he bombs in NE the Steelers will pick him back up in 2 or 3 years.

The 3rd round pick would probably help you out more than Sanders. I really have no idea why they're going so hard for Sanders, I assumed he was a tall and fast receiver or something, but he's only 5'11. He's a slot guy they'd try to use as a field stretcher.

Slo

I think we overpaid for Jennings, but I guess I'd rather the Vikings be buyers than sellers like we usually are. I'm sick of us being a farm team for the rest of the NFL, I'd rather see ownership taking chances and spending money.

BigAT

Did he play? He was one of Spags' scholarship guys but I have no idea why Fisher kept him around. So many big plays

No, just a special teams guy and backup safety. I know he ended up with Spags in St. Louis after the Giants waived him, was he actually starting games there? :jnc if so.

squicken

No, just a special teams guy and backup safety. I know he ended up with Spags in St. Louis after the Giants waived him, was he actually starting games there? :jnc if so.

Played in 32 games, started all 16 games last year

he played single high safety more than anyone in football. even ed reed. Can you imagine him as your last line of defense? It's like Fisher wanted to assure that they could lose any game at any time by him giving up a big play

sixteen games.

jbug617

Banned
Bucs sign Tom Crabtree

I don't know if he signed an offer sheet but Brown posted on twitter was weird earlier today. Maybe he knows something or maybe he just assuming.

Guess AB the last guy standing ! #SteelersNation

Bucs sign Tom Crabtree

I don't know if he signed an offer sheet but Brown posted on twitter was weird earlier today. Maybe he knows something or maybe he just assuming.

Apparently he has signed it, no word yet on how much it is though. Doubt the Steelers match it anyway.

Such an awesome offseason so far. Can't wait for Harrison to sign with the Rats and for the Steelers to bring back Jeff Reed, Anthony Smith and Ricardo Colclough.

Top Bottom