• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

I know you are trying to be offensive, but that's absolutely 100% true. I'll do anything to avoid Arrington as being an outside (#1/#2) CB.

No I mean I think Pats fans over-inflate him as a CB b/c they've had it so bad. He's not a top level performer, but he's not a liability

What I don't get is the idea of a prove it one year deal? Lots of players are and will be on the same type of deal. Just the same thing again next year

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk

Per source with knowledge, Talib passed on two other multi-year offers to stay in New England on one-year contract

Maybe Bill is a calming influence and Talib knows he's in a good position there.

Colasante

No I mean I think Pats fans over-inflate him as a CB b/c they've had it so bad. He's not a top level performer, but he's not a liability

What I don't get is the idea of a prove it one year deal? Lots of players are and will be on the same type of deal. Just the same thing again next year

It won't be the same next year. Talib and DRC are on one year deals now, but the free agent CB market next year has just Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings, and Corey Graham. Shouldn't be nearly as flooded.

Tom Penny

He's high risk for getting suspended and wasn't all that durable last year.

squicken

He's high risk for getting suspended and wasn't all that durable last year.

I'm referring to the trend of the offseason, not just at CB. Bennett, DRC, Talib. Lots of guys thinking they will show their stuff and make a lot more money next offseason. I think they will just be a year older with possible injury histories. If I were an agent, I'd tell my guys to get as much guaranteed as they can, even if it means an additional year for a modest increase

Do we know what deals if any, have been fielded to Asomugha? Would be awesome if Pats could sign him too.

Greg Cosell on the latest Shutdown Corner Podcast said he's been done for 3 years. Just physically can't do the job anymore

Tom Penny

I'm referring to the trend of the offseason, not just at CB. Bennett, DRC, Talib. Lots of guys thinking they will show their stuff and make a lot more money next offseason. I think they will just be a year older with possible injury histories. If I were an agent, I'd tell my guys to get as much guaranteed as they can, even if it means an additional year for a modest increase

Players betting on themselves. He only took 5 mil to stay so Belichick probably gave him a case of Adderall :)

Bowser

Talib's deal is for 1-year, $5 million FYI.

Maybe the Panthers can bring Munnerlyn back on a 1-year deal now since the CB market seems to be shit

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
You guys have a solid roster. But Norv loves throwing to the TE. Staple of Air Coryell. And no one else in your division has more than one good WR, so there's no reason to have two good CBs

Still 10 other teams on the schedule though

Jak speaks the truth.

It would be great if the Browns were able to draft Milliner but seems he'll be off the board by the time it's our pick.

Dragon

Banned
Arrington in the slot is awesome. I just know he has major weaknesses as a 1 or 2.

Arrington was targeted 20 times from the slot, allowing just 11 catches for 115 yards, according to ProFootballFocus.com. He gave up just 0.71 yards per cover snap on the inside, good enough for second best in the NFL

I can't wait to see our completely new, yet still equally shitty secondary in action.

Wilson might be valuable as a small linebacker hybrid in certain sets since the Pats linebackers are ass slow. I was reading about that on espnboston

jakncoke

Banned
Pretty sure I recall nnandi sucking dick in Philly, are people just blaming Philly and thinking he'll return to Oakland form? Or just blocking out how much he sucked in Philly and only remembering Oakland days.

Pretty sure I recall nnandi sucking dick in Philly, are people just blaming Philly and thinking he'll return to Oakland form? Or just blocking out how much he sucked in Philly and only remembering Oakland days.

i'd like him on the niners because i think he will be productive with us. carlos rogers was a bum when he left washington and magically under harbaugh and co's tutelage he became a pro bowler.

nnamdi has the physical talent and the niners coaching staff is one of the best in the league. i think a short small contract is low risk, high reward for us.

Bread

Banned
he's a great man to man cover corner, and they played him mostly in zone iirc. not hard to see why it didn't work out there.

jakncoke

Banned
i'd like him on the niners because i think he will be productive with us. carlos rogers was a bum when he left washington and magically under harbaugh and co's tutelage he became a pro bowler.

nnamdi has the physical talent and the niners coaching staff is one of the best in the league. i think a short small contract is low risk, high reward for us.

Wasnt part of his problem was he couldnt see shit then got contacts and bam suddenly not a int dropping bum?

Milchjon

I think mostly the latter, but didn't he also have to play more zone which wasn't his strong suit at all?

Wasnt part of his problem was he couldnt see shit then got contacts and bam suddenly not a int dropping bum?

that was the rumor from lavar arrington. he played with rogers in washington and on his radio show he said that rogers had horrible vision and the coaching staff never had him get his eyes tested or made him get contacts. then when he came to san fran harbaugh made him get them.

i usually don't believe a lot of these stories because they are exaggerated and changed over the years. he dropped quite a few picks last year

effzee

He might not return to form but he can definitely be better than what he was in Philly. He sucked for us but so did everyone else on that defense. He can't be that bad. Some of it has to be the coaching or lack of it and the guys he was playing with.

SF is probably his best fit on a low ball 1 year deal.

Talon

Freeney would be too expensive to be a 3rd down rotational player.
Abraham would play about every other snap with us, staying on the field longer on certain drives. He'd basically come off field on short yardage situations unless it was on 3rd down because he (magically) became a much better run defender with us. He used to have a reputation for running past the play (a la Freeney), but Abe couldn't really be accused of that now.

And this is when Abe was getting about $7-8 million/year. The snap count didn't matter, his production warranted it.

Now, Freeney's even more one dimensional, but I have to imagine Belichick was choosing one or the other.

Striker

Kind of like the Louis Murphy signing for the Giants. Curious on the money as it's a one year prove it deal.

Wish they'd do something with Diehl already, though.

Jennings posted a thank you message on Facebook a couple of hours ago. Most of the posts on that message...ugh.

I share a fandom with complete retards. How do these people function in their little bubble of righteousness?

Wes

venison crêpe
Jak speaks the truth.

It would be great if the Browns were able to draft Milliner but seems he'll be off the board by the time it's our pick.

I think he'll still be there. There's enough needs and talent on the board for the teams above us not to take the CB, a position that is typically not picked in the top 5.

If he's not there we could grab one of the top pass rushers instead or even trade back, pick up Warmack, Eifert or Rhodes and another pick or two!

Our FA spell has put us in a strong position come the draft. Could've been stronger but we can do multiple things come draft day which is always a good thing - you don't want your hand to be forced.

Slo

You mad, bro?

542762_10151557521565948_1048739128_n.jpg

Talon

Jennings posted a thank you message on Facebook a couple of hours ago. Most of the posts on that message...ugh.

I share a fandom with complete retards. How do these people function in their little bubble of righteousness?
The funnier thing is that...people post the most inane, ignorant vitriol with their real names.

So much for anonymity being a requirement to be an asshole.

xnipx

It's amazing how signing a merely "competent" cb like talib has pats fans thinking they will have a good defense next year

brentech

It's ridiculous how people treat players at times.
Only issue with Jennings is his constant message if faith and wanting to follow parents in becoming a preacher after NFL..... Then doing the money grab. I see that as conflicting ideals, but whatever.
Most players I have no qualm with that since they have short careers and need as much as possible for the later life (most guys are out of league by 32 if not before). It makes much more sense for a guy that only sees his low rookie contract and is likely to only get one contract after it.
Just not the case for Jennings. He's made a few handfuls of money along the way. But again, whatever. It's a small beef on his presentation and what actually seems about.

The thing is, people are griping about his lack of loyalty. Was Greg gonna take a paycut and be pushed down the depth chart to ease our troubled minds about him being a traitor? Good God.

Jennings wants to be the man again. Sucks to see him go, but I like competition, and the Vikings acquiring him will make our division much more interesting.

Top Bottom