• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
I think they probably have room to do both. The quarterback market is essentially set for the next couple of years while the LB market (and specifically the OLB market as more teams start to look at ways of stopping read-option) is going to boom. So I'd rather see them do it the other way.

You already know you're giving Rodgers whatever he wants. Matthews might be a bit trickier.

squicken

I think they probably have room to do both. The quarterback market is essentially set for the next couple of years while the LB market (and specifically the OLB market as more teams start to look at ways of stopping read-option) is going to boom. So I'd rather see them do it the other way.

You already know you're giving Rodgers whatever he wants. Matthews might be a bit trickier.

Good point. Guess they have the same agent, so that's always tricky. I still wonder if Andre Smith and Vollmer are better off having waited so long.

squicken

League won't play opener on Wed b/c it's Rosh Hashanah, and Thursday is a scheduling conflict with the Orioles, so BAL may not host the opening game

edit: Did the Texans at least fire Marciano?

jbug617

Banned
Sucks that Baltimore might not open the season at home. I wonder if there is any way to change the Orioles game to a 12pm start.

Greg

ted-thompson-packers-2.jpg
:jnc

caught me off guard and I almost spit some of my coffee out

squicken

Tried to lure him for league minimum and a signing bonus of Primanti's. Almost worked!

Wifey said that the Rams didn't offer the most money. And the Rams offered 1m per year more than the Phins. So unless another team shows up, he took less money to play for the Rams than play for the Steelers

I want the Pats to sign Darius Hayward Bay.

He has crazy physical talent but there are serious question about him. I think the Pats offense might be to complicated for him to tep in and be successful right away, and I doubt a team like that would be patient with him. He needs to go to a team where he can get on the field right away and show something so that a team will give him the time to really develop. A team like the Rams should grab him.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Wifey said that the Rams didn't offer the most money. And the Rams offered 1m per year more than the Phins. So unless another team shows up, he took less money to play for the Rams than play for the Steelers

:jnc

That's some Florio level logic right there. The next time the Steelers offer a fa the most money will be the first time.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
League won't play opener on Wed b/c it's Rosh Hashanah, and Thursday is a scheduling conflict with the Orioles, so BAL may not host the opening game

edit: Did the Texans at least fire Marciano?

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to throw the Browns in there. :D

effzee

Probably. I was hoping the Eagles would go after a tackle, but Spaddaro said on Eagles Live on Friday that the Eagles arnt interested in any of the FA tackles. I really wonder what kind of market there will be for Vollmer or Smith.

I don't think the Eagles will either but wouldn't go on Dave's word. He is just the PR who knows less than people like to believe. Some insiders were saying they had no interest in Cary Williams the same morning he signed so who knows. I'd love Vollmer or Smith.

Talon

Contract details on SJax.

The contract free-agent running back Steve Jackson recently signed is salary-cap friendly for the Atlanta Falcons it its first year.

According to contract details obtained by ESPN.com, Jackson’s first-year cap figure will be only $2.916 million. His three-year deal is worth at least $12 million and included a $3.5 million signing bonus.

Jackson’s base salary in 2013 will be $1.75 million, with $500,000 of that guaranteed.

In 2014, Jackson’s base salary jumps to $3 million and his cap figure rises to $4.166 million. In 2015, Jackson’s base salary increases to $3.75 million and his cap figure is scheduled to be $4.916 million.

The deal also includes unspecified escalator clauses that could increase Jackson’s base salary in 2014 and 2015.
So we'll cut him loose after two years at most. Bad era to be a tailback. That's rookie or even nickel corner numbers.

Details on Kenny Phillips contract with the Eagles:

RT @MikeGarafolo: Kenny Phillips' deal with the Eagles: 1 year, $1.85m; up to another $1m in incentives.

Shows you the level of interest the Giants had in resigning him. That's pretty much what Stevie Brown is getting paid thanks to his RFA tender.

bionic77

I like Bradshaw and all, but doesn't your team need less players that are hurt all the time instead of more of them?
We need a feature back. All we have is backups at this point.

I would love to have a feature back even for 8 games per year. By my math that is still better than 0. Our coach is not smart but a smart coach can protect a RB from injuries but splitting up carries. We could use Redman or someone else to spell him and for fourth quarters.

Bradshaw could replace Moore, who we have really missed. We don't have any rb's with his versatility right now.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
We need to discuss the gaf draft. I propose we begin first thing Saturday. I also propose that fv should be the drafter for missing participants. :eek:

edit - eznark, you have the Bengals.

squicken

Sure, the league is no longer interested in the Ravens opening the season cause Joe Flacco has no star power.

Lots of people assume that MLB will just move the Os to a day game, but I don't think they'll do that. Not a good look to just let the NFL push them around.

dk is banned until the 27th. I think we can wait for him to get back before we draft. Still some big FAs out there to fall, which would affect things anyway

Unless, of course, you're the missing piece, Reggie Bush. That guy is going to gain 3,000 yards from scrimmage this year!

Don't forget all 840 touchdowns!

I sort of hope Detroit can find a way to sign Dummervil for a reasonable number. They're already in cap trouble after the FA signings they've already had and next year will be even worse. But I would love for Doom to solidify the DE spot for a while. I just want to be happy, damn it. :-(

We need a feature back. All we have is backups at this point.

I would love to have a feature back even for 8 games per year. By my math that is still better than 0. Our coach is not smart but a smart coach can protect a RB from injuries but splitting up carries. We could use Redman or someone else to spell him and for fourth quarters.

Bradshaw could replace Moore, who we have really missed. We don't have any rb's with his versatility right now.

The do need somebody potent at the position. But Bradshaw's had a lot of foot injuries, so that makes me nervous. They better make sure he's going to be able to put in some good years, don't want another Duce Staley.

The do need somebody potent at the position. But Bradshaw's had a lot of foot injuries, so that makes me nervous. They better make sure he's going to be able to put in some good years, don't want another Duce Staley.
Bradshaw has little speed left anymore thanks to the foot problems but he runs tough and brings some good anger/attitude to the backfield. As mentioned, he's excellent in pass protection. Easily the best back the Steelers have had in that regard in a long time (which should do wonders for Ben). He'll come cheap and even if he misses his usual 3-4 games he would be worth it.

Steelers or Packers would be a great situation for him. As mentioned, I don't want see him rot with some shit organization. He was a great Giant and a big part of the two SB runs we had. I hope he ends up with one or the other...(preferably the Steelers in the AFC)

bionic77

How do the Bungles draft? What combination of combine stats and criminal history record do they use to draft their players?

We ain't getting anyone great.

If Bradshaw was great he would not be coming so cheap. But I will settle for solid and someone who excels at a few skills. As long as he is smart, can pass protect and catch out of the backfield I think he can add a ton to our team. The foot problem makes me wonder if he can be our feature back, but at the very least he seems like a great 3rd down back and for a screen game (which I can't remember the last time we had).

Bradshaw has little speed left anymore thanks to the foot problems but he runs tough and brings some good anger/attitude to the backfield. As mentioned, he's excellent in pass protection. Easily the best back the Steelers have had in that regard in a long time (which should do wonders for Ben). He'll come cheap and even if he misses his usual 3-4 games he would be worth it.

Steelers or Packers would be a great situation for him. As mentioned, I don't want see him rot with some shit organization. He was a great Giant and a big part of the two SB runs we had. I hope he ends up with one or the other...(preferably the Steelers in the AFC)

Hope you're right, I certainly like the idea of him over Beanie freakin Wells.

bionic77

Hope you're right, I certainly like the idea of him over Beanie freakin Wells.
Bam Morris is available.

He is in great shape for a guy who is in his 40s and has cut back his marijuana habit to a very respectable 8 ounces a day. He really fits in with our current strategy of bringing back washed up players who will play for the league minimum.

Jesus if we don't start drafting better we will be the North's version of the Jets...

cajunator

Banned
Saints sign Ben Watson:

Thats interesting that they would spend some cap space signing a TE. But aside from Jimmy we dont have a reliable backup TE anymore. Mostly journeymen. Hopefully this guy can block because the aging Oline will require his services to max protect.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Who was Jim Irsay tweeting about if it wasn't Cruz?

Somebody from a team going through turmoil like the Eagles? Desean Jackson? I could see that trade happening.

squicken

Who was Jim Irsay tweeting about if it wasn't Cruz?

Somebody from a team going through turmoil like the Eagles? Desean Jackson? I could see that trade happening.

He said it wasn't Cruz, and then today said it wasn't Calvin Johnson. Cards media people are adamant that they will never trade Fitz

bionic77

Man college girls are hot. And dumb as shit. I can't help but notice everytime I go to a Starbucks that is near a college location.

You young studs should take advantage while you can.

One word of advice, they won't be impressed by your proficiency at video games (leave your pink 3DS at home) or knowledge of sports. You should be able to figure out the rest on your own, and if you can't then you deserve to be alone. Google Japanese love doll.

Top Bottom