• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

Well we are set at RT with Massie after the strides he made late last season and we already have Potter as a decent OT backup. RG is our biggest hole on the OL, Snyder is just straight garbage so I'm honestly fine with Warmack only being able to play that position if he's going to be pro bowl caliber. Would really enhance the run game too. I can see the argument for not going with someone that limited so early in the draft, however. I've seen Mike Jurecki say he likes Cooper more and I think Cooper sounds better than Fluker based off of what I've read. Suddenly I find myself hoping Fisher falls to us.

I really like Cooper. He is supposedly really sharp and can eventually be moved to center. Having linemen that can play multiple positions is so important b/c there will always be injuries. Something I never appreciated as a kid was Bruce Matthews playing all over the line for the Oilers. Center, guard, left tackle. Probably the best player in team history, and I never really got to notice him

edit: The play where Richardson ran over Coleman is being used by the league as the type of play they want banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yDH6x5JW7M

xnipx

nah

There's very little salt between the Ravens and Skins. Shit, guys from Bmore come down to D.C to party and ham it up with Skins players all the time.

Even NY guys roll down on occasion. Giants anyway.

They come down to take the skins and wizards players hoes. They aren't friends. There have been many beefs over stadium girls. Including involving McGhee when he was here lol

Talon

I don't really understand what tailbacks are supposed to do in that situation then. You're just not allowed to get lower than the tackler? How are you supposed to break a head-on tackle? Just give yourself up like it's a flag football game?

I understand the point is to avoid leading with your helmet, but that's sort of impossible to do when you're literally lowering your shoulders.

squicken

I don't really understand what tailbacks are supposed to do in that situation then. You're just not allowed to get lower than the tackler? How are you supposed to break a head-on tackle? Just give yourself up like it's a flag football game?

I understand the point is to avoid leading with your helmet, but that's sort of impossible to do when you're literally lowering your shoulders.

The league is saying that they will be fine as long as the defenders aren't lowering their heads either. Goodell flatly said it will pass, so it's hear to stay

Tom Penny

It's about time they take away some advantages to offensive players. Lowering the head is dangerous to the defensive player. Safety first.

It's about time they take away some advantages to offensive players. Lowering the head is dangerous to the defensive player. Safety first.
Bah. Give the running back a sword in the hand he's not holding the football with and the defensive player should be dual wielding axes! Lets quit fucking around!

Hard to imagine but the Cowboys are in even worse cap shape than the Steelers:

John Clayton @ClaytonESPN

After signing Ernie Sims to a one-year deal, the Cowboys have only about $100,000 of cap room.

Also, the Lord Goodell and the league have told the Skins to forget about getting any cap money back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-league-will-not-yield-on-salary-cap-penalty/

According to the other person with knowledge of the matter, Goodell personally told the team that the league is unyielding on the salary cap reduction, the remaining $18 million of which must be absorbed by the Redskins this year. It was not clear to whom Goodell delivered that message or when that happened. But Goodell left open no possibility that the league will reconsider, the person said.

“It won’t happen,” that person said.

According to one of the people, the league won’t relent in part because it does not believe there is any reason to do so, and in part because any change to the penalty would have to be ratified by the other NFL teams and the players’ union. Both groups approved the original penalties given last year to the Redskins and the Dallas Cowboys, who received a $10 million salary cap reduction over two years.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
The only thing I don't like about Culver's concretes is they melt so fast! They're always soup within a few minutes and this is sitting inside.

I suppose it's a possibility that Houston has mutant heat that permeates even the inside of an air conditioned building though.

cajunator

Banned
Reddit mock draft

http://i.imgur.com/zRFpilU.png

I would be suprised if the rams would take Patterson over Austin. They are very high on Austin and know Amendola's loss means the slot needs addressing. That being said I would be okay with it and letting Givens play the slot.

Hmmm. Barkevious Mingo would be an excellent addition and a local favorite since he played at LSU. Wouldnt be a bad choice.

The only thing I don't like about Culver's concretes is they melt so fast! They're always soup within a few minutes and this is sitting inside.

I suppose it's a possibility that Houston has mutant heat that permeates even the inside of an air conditioned building though.

Yes. The heat puts AC units to the test down here. If you get into a car sometimes the air inside is so stifling its hard to breathe. I usually crack the windows down a little bit so the hot air can escape. Plus I have a sunroof and that definitely helps get the heat out.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
I think it's fate that Wes Welker left New England.

I was at a Futureshop playing a demo of Madden 13 on the vita and I was using the Pats.

1st and 10 on my own 40 I had Welker wide open. I am about to throw and suddenly the entire screen goes yellow, when it comes back all of a sudden I have committed a safety and Wes Welker has a broken fibula.

Even on the replay the same yellow flash popped up.

This is the greatest endorsement of the Vita I have ever read.

Godslay

Banned
When is the mock draft starting up? I'm going to be pretty busy the coming couple of weeks with work and deadlines (some projects got fast tracked, goddamit!), probably won't have much time. Did anyone find out Deacon's sentence?

cajunator

Banned
That was like 8 years ago.

Also,fuck the Broncos.Fucking fucks.

I know he has lost some steps. But the Saints use a lot of TE sets and he will come in handy. Jimmy Graham isnt the fastest guy either but we just need a second backup TE with some experience and Ben should work well.
Also the Broncos are heroes man.

When is the mock draft starting up? I'm going to be pretty busy the coming couple of weeks with work and deadlines (some projects got fast tracked, goddamit!), probably won't have much time. Did anyone find out Deacon's sentence?

He's back the 27th. I think somebody said we might start on Saterday.

Good luck with all the deadlines.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Apparently Trent Richardson is the poster boy for what Goodell wants to get rid of:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/trent-richardson-a-poster-boy-for-ban-on-runners-lowering-heads/

As the NFL considers a rule change this week that would penalize runners for lowering their helmets into tacklers, Browns running back Trent Richardson is being presented as the poster boy for the proposal.

Specifically, a play in the September Eagles-Browns game, when Richardson was making his rookie debut, has been used as the example by the Competition Committee of the kind of play that needs to be banned, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. On the play in question, Richardson lowered his helmet into Kurt Coleman of the Eagles, sending Coleman’s helmet flying.

TrentRichardsonTruck.gif

kurt-coleman-gif.gif

TRENT TRUCK!!!

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Saturday is the day I floated earlier.

HEAR THAT EVERYONE?

MOCK DRAFT STARTS SATURDAY! STATE YOUR OBJECTIONS NOW OR FV WILL DRAFT A SCRUB FOR YOU!

Saturday is the day I floated earlier.

HEAR THAT EVERYONE?

MOCK DRAFT STARTS SATURDAY! STATE YOUR OBJECTIONS NOW OR FV WILL DRAFT A SCRUB FOR YOU!

What time and how many rounds?
It starts this SATURDAY the 23rd.

Every team/group gets 4 hours to make their choice and we move on to the next selection. Any team that doesn't make a selection means that I will select Manti Te'o for you. The next team in line gets Manti Te'os girlfriend and each subsequent selection will be a variation on Manti (Manti Te'os invisible blocking, etc.).

You've been warned!

In actuality I will try to select the pick that makes the most sense according to team need but its more fun to make fun of Manti!

squicken

So Chefs on the clock starting 10 am EDT Saturday?

edit: stupid Lions. Restructured Suh and Megatron's deals. 11m in space freed but pushed down the line. Mayhew and Schwartz sacrificing future to keep their jerbs

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - Luke Joeckel
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets - Fox3182
10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red
13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints - cajunator
16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals - eznark
22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta
23. Vikings - BannedEpisode
24. Colts - SpinDasher
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Missing reps for the bolded teams. Please. Let's get fans to represent before we move to alternates.

Rules for NFL Mock Draft 2013 (If i'm forgetting anything or you have questions, feel free to point them out.):

Fans of the team pick for their own team. If we don't get enough of those, then we pick other people to fill the slots.

Rules are just like last year - It should be considered a consensus pick - team members should collaborate to choose someone instead of one just blurting out their pick. I'll be less patient in waiting; say, four hours selection time per team. You don't make the time, you get skipped. No trades - we're not doing a full 7 round mock so there's nothing of value to trade. Just pick who you believe your team will pick in your spot.

Collaboration is encouraged. We're trying for an open dialog this year so debating in the thread is encouraged, however if your team is the secretive type feel free to take it to PMs.

MechDX

From a Texans forum, comments from John McClain on Sports 610:

Basically paraphrasing here since I'm at work.

1. Said the Texans would look to sign Charles Woodson on a 1 year deal to groom a rookie safety if Ed Reed doesn't sign.

2. Also said that since Watt and Cushing's deals are coming soon, they were prepared to let all FA walk and basically build through the draft. Said the Texans are scared Watt will have another big season and command big $$$.

3. Also will look to add a vet WR after the draft closer to training camp.

Well fucking "DUH!". He wont go anywhere either.

Top Bottom