• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

cajunator

Banned
Seriously though, I do take forever to eat sometimes.
Although I just wolfed down a whole 3 part Chinese take out meal from the mall in one sitting.
It just depends how hungry and how good it is. If its super greasy I will take forever to eat it because that shit doesn't agree with me.

Seriously though, I do take forever to eat sometimes.
Although I just wolfed down a whole 3 part Chinese take out meal from the mall in one sitting.
It just depends how hungry and how good it is. If its super greasy I will take forever to eat it because that shit doesn't agree with me.

May as well make the diarrhea last all day?

cajunator

Banned
Mall Chinese food is almost always really awful. Panda Express is about as good as that category gets unfortunately.

This place is pretty good for mall food. But it has to compete against a japanese teriyaki place and a thai kitchen. Honestly Im surpised I ate the whole thing. Must have been really hungry. I didn't really eat lunch.

jakncoke

Banned
All Asian food sucks!

Yeah, i said it! Come at me bros

jxugv1gDNmRVx.jpg

BigAT

La Canfora saying GMs are speculating if Desean Jackson or Jeremy Maclin are Irsay's rumored WR.

Jim Irsay washes down a Vicodin with a belt of scotch then hops on Twitter and now for some reason every NFL reporter is wasting time in a desperate effort to decode what he said.

cajunator

Banned
Last year we lost Adam snyder(trash guard), Blake costanzo (special teams player), and josh Morgan (wr).

Can't wait for next years after the guys we've lost. We should get a 3rd rounder for sure!

How are you getting all the compensatory picks?
I dont really understand how those work to begin with.

BigAT

Basically it just has to do with the value of the players you lose vs. the value of the players you gain in free agency. I don't think there is any hard information available on the formula that determines who gets picks and in what rounds.

MechDX

We have lost guys like Meachem and Nicks and dont get any compensatory picks for those, yet they are in starting roles. Is there some negating factor?

Who did you sign to replace them on the roster?

http://bloggingthebeast.com/2013/01/27/2013-nfl-compensatory-pick-projections/

If you are unfamiliar with his work, the basics that affect comp picks are:

1. Players that are cut or not tendered as RFAs and ERFAs are not counted.

2. Players earning low minimum salaries do not count.

3. Each player signed cancels out one player lost.

4. The round of the pick awarded is primarily determined by the annual value of the contract signed. Signed players cancel out lost players with equal contracts, then lower contracts, before canceling out higher contracts.

It should be noted that although the NFL makes public the basic rules above, even the NFL teams do not know the exact picks that they will be awarded. They have to make assumption based upon past history, just as I have done.

It basically comes down to free agents you lost minus free agents you picked up. Free agents meaning they were not cut, their contracts expired. For instance Elvis dumervill will get the broncos nothing next year.

Then it has to do with the playing time of the guys you lost and gained

cajunator

Banned
Who did you sign to replace them on the roster?

We didnt really get a replacement for Meachem and Nicks was replaced with Grubbs, which wasnt that much of a downgrade so Im guessing that was one factor. Perhaps our front office is good at replacing talent (when it exists) so we dont get many extra picks. I highly doubt we are able to replace ALL the talent we lose though so it is just kind of odd.

squicken

We didnt really get a replacement for Meachem and Nicks was replaced with Grubbs, which wasnt that much of a downgrade so Im guessing that was one factor. Perhaps our front office is good at replacing talent (when it exists) so we dont get many extra picks. I highly doubt we are able to replace ALL the talent we lose though so it is just kind of odd.

Playing time and production matter. Nicks got hurt and Meachem was a bust for SD

Compensatory picks
In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year.[58] Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick. awarded at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7
If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft (These are known as "supplemental compensatory selections").
Compensatory picks are awarded each year at the NFL annual meeting which is held at the end of March; typically, about three or four weeks before the draft.

hmmm i guess salary is the primary factor?

MechDX

Playing time and production matter. Nicks got hurt and Meachem was a bust for SD

Doesn't matter what a player does when they leave its a matter of their production on the former team

Basically no one really knows the exact formula or teams like the Pats would constantly abuse it

cajunator

Banned

I haven't really followed them outside of our team so thanks for that info.
Carl didn't seem that injury prone really. I'm not surprised Meachem was a bust though. He didn't really catch on in NOLA either aside from being a deep threat like Devery.

Top Bottom