• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

squicken

I posted a link to that Football Guys Podcast earlier, and they were talking about the Chiefs. They know that some of the moves they made are costly, but they feel that they have to quickly change the culture and not lose the young players

LZ doesn't say his source, but I know he is close to Winston. He said the coaching was awful to non-existent, and the young players need to see the positive relationship between work and winning. One of the reasons they targeted Alex and the Jets guard was they wanted vets with solid reps for working hard and being good pros

They really want to trade the pick, and don't require what would normally be fair value for it. Grab either a WR or OT after moving back. AZ really wants an OT, no matter we hear about QB

Looks like George RR Martin hitting on Anne Boelyn.

She wipes her hand on her dress after touching him hahaha cracks me up. Reading his awful love scenes it would gross me out too

Nick Cave is fucking amazing! <3

that comment was a test. and you passed the test brother!

my only issue with nick cave is i feel like i need to listen to the albums in full. there are some songs that i can just hear on shuffle and be cool with it but for some reason most of it i can't do it that way. i guess it's the same with pink floyd and a few others bands too though. maybe it means they are on another level!

JABEE

Romo in Dallas for good?

ProFootballTalk said:
A contract extension for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo appears to be coming sooner rather than later.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones spoke Tuesday during the owner’s meetings in Arizona about the progress being made toward getting a new deal done with Romo.

“I’m not concerned that we are looking at a drawn out thing here,” Jones said, via Clarence Hill of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I’m not concerned that is going to in any way hamper any decision we want to make personal wise over the next few weeks.”

When asked if it was safe to say the Cowboys are closing in on a deal for Romo, Jones agreed.

“I’m okay with (saying) that,”
Jones said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/cowboys-closing-in-on-extension-for-tony-romo/

cajunator

Banned
I would think they kind of have to sign Romo.
he may not be very successful in the postseason and kind of a clutz but what other choices do they have that would be better? Taking one from the draft would be high risk unless absolutely necessary and Romo is not terrible enough to force a change.

So, the Twitterverse is discussing how the Pats might double dip on WR this upcoming draft. A complete revamp of the position, just like how they treated the TE position a couple of years ago and the RB position a year after that. I would be okay with that.

Romo isn't perfect but just remember all the trash we had between Aikman and him. Still can't believe we made the playoffs with Quincy Carter as a QB one year. ugh

I would think they kind of have to sign Romo.
he may not be very successful in the postseason and kind of a clutz but what other choices do they have that would be better? Taking one from the draft would be high risk unless absolutely necessary and Romo is not terrible enough to force a change.

Totally agree

God Bless America

This Land Is Your Land

Sing it, Ray!

WEEDEN-FLAG-1.gif

Cover yourself in this great flag of ours, KaveMan!

Follow the ways of your old and very wise quarterback of the future!

I still can't believe Weeds did that. Freaking first week of the season. lol.

I've never seen a single episode of Lost or the Sopranos.
I must have done something wrong.

Definitely. The Sopranos is a tour de force. Truly awesome. LOST is fun. I enjoyed it a lot while using marijuana heavily. If you think too hard about it it all starts to fall apart, but it is a really fun experience if you just sit back and enjoy the ride

I posted a link to that Football Guys Podcast earlier, and they were talking about the Chiefs. They know that some of the moves they made are costly, but they feel that they have to quickly change the culture and not lose the young players

It's a fair and plausible conjecture. I think by Reid simply not being Crennel and Smith not turning the ball over constantly, this current team can probably improve by at least 5 or 6 wins. I just have questions with the compensation and how it restricts the team going forward if they want to change quarterbacks.

My hope is that the Chiefs are actually forward thinking enough to draft Geno, as Smith is still on a two year deal and Chase Daniel is effectively on a one year deal, but I expect them to try like hell to trade down. Thankfully, there seems to be a market forming for G. Smith, so while the Chiefs won't be able to get a haul, they might be able to get back a 2nd rounder or more while still staying in the top 10.

As for the mock draft, I'll definitely represent the Chiefs, but until I see them sign Branden Albert to a long term deal, I expect 1.1 to be a tackle. I guess the only question is if it's Joeckel or Fisher.

Milchjon

It's a fair and plausible conjecture. I think by Reid simply not being Crennel and Smith not turning the ball over constantly, this current team can probably improve by at least 5 or 6 wins. I just have questions with the compensation and how it restricts the team going forward if they want to change quarterbacks.

My hope is that the Chiefs are actually forward thinking enough to draft Geno, as Smith is still on a two year deal and Chase Daniel is effectively on a one year deal, but I expect them to try like hell to trade down. Thankfully, there seems to be a market forming for G. Smith, so while the Chiefs won't be able to get a haul, they might be able to get back a 2nd rounder or more while still staying in the top 10.

As for the mock draft, I'll definitely represent the Chiefs, but until I see them sign Branden Albert to a long term deal, I expect 1.1 to be a tackle. I guess the only question is if it's Joeckel or Fisher.

WOOOOOHOOO

That's..... actually better than I expected. I imagine a similiar video regarding soccer from Americans who don't have children would be worse.

Yeah, it's not that bad.
They're also kinda funny and endearing.

bionic77

Love that my birthday can go from 70° one year to 25° the next by me. End of March is the best time of the year.
Fuck cold weather.

I want to go outside in shorts. I don't mind any heat under 100 degrees. The only thing I don't like about summers in the North East are the bugs.

Fuck wasps. No one will cry if they go extinct.

effzee

I kinda hope they ruin this for themselves

Well the new GM seems like a smart dude. I don't think he will be tricked into a bad deal or lose out on value. And rebuilding the Jets, with the QB and cap situation seems like a long project so no rush to have him traded this very moment.

Manuels a interesting guy and I wouldn't mind the Browns drafting him if he's still avaiable in the 3rd, looks more likely well take a flyer on a Qb at somepoint. That many id be happy with besides him and Matt Scott.
On a side note I saw that we interviewed Landry Jones at his pro day, my heart almost sank

I fully expect either him in the 2nd or Geno Smith in the first for the Eagles now.

I fully expect either him in the 2nd or Geno Smith in the first for the Eagles now.

I definitely think it will be EJ in the 2nd, maybe they trade up and take him at the end of the 1st. It could all be a smoke screen but there is a lot of buzz about how much Chip likes EJ. How comes you havent added your name to the draft list? The braintrust could always use more Eagles fans.

effzee

I definitely think it will be EJ in the 2nd, maybe they trade up and take him at the end of the 1st. It could all be a smoke screen but there is a lot of buzz about how much Chip likes EJ. How comes you havent added your name to the draft list? The braintrust could always use more Eagles fans.

I don't know much about college football to be honest. And though I keep reading every day on the draft prospects, stocks rising or falling, and whatever else I can find I don't think I still know enough to make a proper judgement. For example some stupid articles and comments by Mayok on Geno Smith's pro day sold me on him all of a sudden!

squicken

Glad you are doing the mock. I do think you are dodging a bullet on Geno. I think people are just seeing what they want to see with him, and it may just be all talk. Mayock was gushing on EJ Manuel yesterday, and I never would have thought that possible. The rationale is he is a better prospect than Ponder, who went 12. Well, Ponder was one of the biggest reaches in recent years

Both Brugler and Rob Rang have Ty Eifert falling in the draft, mostly b/c it is a deep TE draft, and CHI and STL no longer have a big need there. Gonna really suck when some playoff team snags him at the end of round one

It's that good? Saw it for 30 bucks in a store, was tempted to pick it up.
From a gameplay perspective, there's nothing special about it. It's a pretty standard third person shooter with some decent visuals and acceptable gun play but the twists the story takes and what it has to say elevates it a bit above its competition, IMO. For $20-30 bucks, it's definitely worth it, yes.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
On NFL AM, Nate Burleson guaranteed that Detroit would win the NFC North this year.

*Sigh*

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Would you rather him say they'll finish 6-10?

Not sure what else you can expect a guy to say honestly.

No, I'd rather they be honest and say something like, "We can win the division--as a team, we just need to put it all together" or something like that. Never make a guarantee that you most likely won't back up.

TheFatOne

So, the Twitterverse is discussing how the Pats might double dip on WR this upcoming draft. A complete revamp of the position, just like how they treated the TE position a couple of years ago and the RB position a year after that. I would be okay with that.

I hate this. Pats can't draft WRs at all. Would rather they trade for some established WR then draft one.

brentech

From a gameplay perspective, there's nothing special about it. It's a pretty standard third person shooter with some decent visuals and acceptable gun play but the twists the story takes and what it has to say elevates it a bit above its competition, IMO. For $20-30 bucks, it's definitely worth it, yes.
Got for free with PS+
Was never even on my radar before, but as a fan of 3rd person shooters over FPS, I think it's well done. Good gun play and I like the cover system. There are some nice little adjustments you can make to make better use of your cover.

I don't know much about college football to be honest. And though I keep reading every day on the draft prospects, stocks rising or falling, and whatever else I can find I don't think I still know enough to make a proper judgement. For example some stupid articles and comments by Mayok on Geno Smith's pro day sold me on him all of a sudden!

It really was funny to see the reactions to Geno's pro day. People who had been down on him the day before were super positive after. I am surprised that throwing passes in your shorts to uncovered guys can impress people so much.

Draxal

I respect Kirwan a ton, but man going Werner over Cooper is ... like a punch in the balls to me. I didn't know Arthur Brown had 1st round potential, I thought he was going to be early second.

I think it's the first time I've seen a safety go to the Giants in the first.

I've seen Vaccaro slotted to a Giants in a couple drafts, just like Teo has been.

brentech

It really was funny to see the reactions to Geno's pro day. People who had been down on him the day before were super positive after. I am surprised that throwing passes in your shorts to uncovered guys can impress people so much.
I don't get that either. I suppose after seeing a couple hundred guys do it you get an idea of what it should all look like, but I still don't know how it can sway you too much.
More so only to the negative side.

I wouldn't take Ogletree either. Have to go cb/de/ol in the first imho.
"if we were going to go LB"....;)

DE, OL, CB in that order. With Mara's recent comments about getting better in the trenches and considering where we are with Boothe, I think we might finally see the Giants invest in an offensive lineman if the DE they want isn't there in the first.

Top Bottom