• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

eznark

Banned
Defenseless receiver didn't slow the game down appreciably and neither will this.

It's going to end up being a second-level, open field, offensive spearing flag and nothing more. Good rule change in my opinion.

The defense has had their head essentially taken away as a tool on the field. It's bullshit that the offense should be able to have such a potent weapon. IMBA!!!!!!! Glad the NFL fixed it.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 2m

NFL passes Jim Schwartz rule

That will close the loophole that cost the Lions the game against the Texans.

Recap:

Referee Walt Coleman granted Texans running back Justin Forsett an 81-yard touchdown even when replays revealed he was down by contact seven yards past the line of scrimmage. Lions coach Jim Schwartz challenged the play, breaking the NFL rule that prohibits a coach's challenge on plays such as touchdowns that are automatically reviewed. Because Schwartz's act was considered a delay of game, the rule prevented Coleman from reviewing the play. The touchdown stood.

Here is the reported change:

The committee will propose a rule change at next week's NFL owners meeting that would work the following way if a coach challenges an automatically reviewable play:

- The team would be charged a timeout.
- If the team has no timeouts remaining, it would receive a 15-yard penalty.
- The play would still be reviewed regardless. If the team wins the review, it would not get its timeout back.

squicken

So Marvin Lewis is on the competition committee. Part of the group that created and presented to the owners why the helmet rule was a good idea. And Mike Brown likes Marvin so much, he was the lone no vote. Because Bungles

Calm down Al. Shore up your front 7 before you worry about the back end.

Just worried about the secondary still. Taiwan Jones is on the roster as a CB lol. But hopefully Reggie can address that in the later rounds. Sherman was a 5th round pick if I'm not mistaken.

CBs rarely get drafted that high. Maybe you guys can trade down with a team interested in Geno.

Though I don't get why the Raiders wouldn't be one of the teams seriously in it for Geno.

Cause Palmer is not a bad QB and Pryor is about the same age as Geno despite going into his 3rd year and there's probably not a great deal of separation between the two. That, combined with our defensive needs just doesn't make it feasible.

Even if we dump Carson, I see us going with Pryor and giving him a shot this year. If we only win 2 games then we take a better QB next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R978jQELomo

Interesting test case. Is Peterson protecting himself, or delivering a blow? Hard to tell in real time
Under the new rules it should be flagged, yeah.

The Ahmad run I posted earlier in GIF:

boom2.gif

Contact is made with the shoulder but would technically be flagged because he is leading with his helmet.

Someone on BBI posted this oldie, too:

earl-campbell-headbutt-o.gif

ChanHuk

Banned
Just worried about the secondary still. Taiwan Jones is on the roster as a CB lol. But hopefully Reggie can address that in the later rounds. Sherman was a 5th round pick if I'm not mistaken.

Cause Palmer is not a bad QB and Pryor is about the same age as Geno despite going into his 3rd year and there's probably not a great deal of separation between the two. That, combined with our defensive needs just doesn't make it feasible.

Even if we dump Carson, I see us going with Pryor and giving him a shot this year. If we only win 2 games then we take a better QB next year.

Raiders don't have much cap space to work with unless they convince Palmer to somehow restructure. They also gave Rolandslo McClain permission to seek a trade, I'll take anything for him as he's getting paid 7 million to ride the bench. Guy had so much potential, he's just a knucklehead, YOU HEAR THAT RAVENS?!? Oh and Kelly isn't going anywhere either. Terrance Newman turned down the Raiders, fuck that bum.

We're not dumping Carson this season, it doesn't make sense financially. You'd only save about 4 million, how much did Tavaris Jackson and company sign for to be backups? It could be the same situation in Seattle with Wilson and Flynn. Pryor's contract is so cheap it doesn't hurt to keep Palmer as a backup. Even that, I have no faith in Pryor.

effzee

Well yeah that makes sense if you plan to keep Carson for a while. I don't think he is terrible either but he isn't that good either. And Geno is not the sure thing Luck and RG3 were.

squicken

Peterson play was shown as an example of an illegal play. Coughlin apparently spoke passionately in favor of the rule. Says he has seen tragedy on the field b/c of it, and takes his players aside to instruct them on proper technique when he sees them lead with their heads

edit: This also applies to DBs. When William Moore loaded up on Frank Gore as, that is now a penalty. Defenders can't use the crown of their helmets on runners

ChanHuk

Banned
Well yeah that makes sense if you plan to keep Carson for a while. I don't think he is terrible either but he isn't that good either. And Geno is not the sure thing Luck and RG3 were.

Geno fell off the face of the NCAA the second half of the season, might be because his o-line was putrid. But even at his pro day, how can you be impressed with a guy throwing the ball he's been practicing on doing since the end of the season? The guy did put up 600 yards and 8 TDs in one game, shows you the lack of defense presented in the NCAA.

squicken

Geno fell off the face of the NCAA the second half of the season, might be because his o-line was putrid. But even at his pro day, how can you be impressed with a guy throwing the ball he's been practicing on doing since the end of the season? The guy did put up 600 yards and 8 TDs in one game, shows you the lack of defense presented in the NCAA.

It's so dumb. It sucks to not have a QB, but talking yourself into Geno is throwing away 4 years as you figure out he is no good

Mayock on the rule change for anyone interested:

“While I applaud the league for most of what’s going on with the safety concerns, and all players and former plays applaud that, I look at this rule and I say, at some point I think we’re crossing a line,” Mayock said. “To me, a running back has got to be able to drop his pad level. And when a running back drops his pad level, his head goes with it. That’s just the way you play football. And from a defensive player’s perspective — which I was — I understand and respect that. I think it’s part of the game, and I don’t think you can legislate all contact and all forcible head hits out of this game.”

squicken

Goodell deferring to Fisher to speak to the rules at his press conference.

Can we start getting calls, please? The sweet, cheaty ones, like NE and PIT get

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Defenseless receiver didn't slow the game down appreciably and neither will this.

It's going to end up being a second-level, open field, offensive spearing flag and nothing more. Good rule change in my opinion.

The defense has had their head essentially taken away as a tool on the field. It's bullshit that the offense should be able to have such a potent weapon. IMBA!!!!!!! Glad the NFL fixed it.

Agree 100%. I can't believe all the Chicken Littles at PFT claiming that this will "ruin football forever."

Please.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Mayock on the rule change for anyone interested:

Mayock is a douche. I can't listen to anything this guy says. He thinks he knows more than anyone about the game of football.

effzee

It's so dumb. It sucks to not have a QB, but talking yourself into Geno is throwing away 4 years as you figure out he is no good

Well there is no sure science. We have seen plenty of can't miss sure things come out of the draft and turn out to be busts.

Geno might not have impressed or won over many people but I doubt NFL GMs/Scouts are simply impressed with how he threw in his shorts on pro day. There has to be more there. They interviewed him, watched him at the combine, have tape on him, and now his pro day performance. I don't want to take him at #4 but would have loved for him to drop down to the 2nd or 3rd round like Wilson did.

squicken

Well there is no sure science. We have seen plenty of can't miss sure things come out of the draft and turn out to be busts.

Geno might not have impressed or won over many people but I doubt NFL GMs/Scouts are simply impressed with how he threw in his shorts on pro day. There has to be more there. They interviewed him, watched him at the combine, have tape on him, and now his pro day performance. I don't want to take him at #4 but would have loved for him to drop down to the 2nd or 3rd round like Wilson did.

I just don't like the way his game fell apart at the end of the year. He was all over the place with his accuracy, and he doesn't have as big an arm as people assume. Yeah, good 2nd or 3rd gamble. But people are talking top 10!

LQX

I've always seen RBs leading with the helmet as natural instinct to protect themselves, with knocking opposing players out of their potential tackle as just a by product. A lot of penalties and sore shoulders this season.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 10m

NFL officiating director Dean Blandino says that any penalty for improper helmet use will not be imposed from the line of scrimmage.

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 10m

The new helmet-use rule is not reviewable by replay, according to NFL V.P. of officiating Dean Blandino. It's a judgment call.

Just some clarification on the rule change that have been mentioned a little.

Also:

ProFootballTalk @ProFootballTalk 4m

Roger Goodell confirms Pro Bowl will be played in Hawaii next year again.
I know you're all ultra excited!

ChanHuk

Banned
I've always seen RBs leading with the helmet as natural instinct to protect themselves, with knocking opposing players out of their potential tackle as just a by product. A lot of penalties and sore shoulders this season.

Its how I ran the ball in high school.......we were always told to bring the hat on LBs.....

effzee

Just some clarification on the rule change that have been mentioned a little.

Also:

I know you're all ultra excited!

Meh I don't care for the pro bowl but obviously enough people watch it so why complain about it?

I think it got higher ratings than some MLB and NBA postseason games? Or am I imagining that happened?

Meh I don't care for the pro bowl but obviously enough people watch it so why complain about it?
I didn't realize posting the location for this years pro-bowl and making a joke about peoples excitement level equated to a complaint. I generally couldn't care less about the Pro-Bowl either but I understand why people take issue with it. They could do far more interesting things than a fake football game the players don't even care about but to each their own in that regard.

EDIT: So this nugget come through as well:

Clark Judge @ClarkJudgeCBS 37m

Goodell says will talk in future on possible expansion of Rooney Rule to include OCs and DCs.

Draxal

I didn't realize posting the location for this years pro-bowl and making a joke about peoples excitement level equated to a complaint. I generally couldn't care less about the Pro-Bowl either but I understand why people take issue with it. They could do far more interesting things than a fake football game the players don't even care about but to each their own in that regard.

EDIT: So this nugget come through as well:

HOW DARE YOU POST ABOUT ELI MANNING HAVING ANOTHER CHILD AGAIN. IT MEANT HE HAD SEX AGAIN, WHAT ABOUT HIS GRIP STRENGTH?!!?

eznark

Banned
Matt Forte ‏@MattForte22 7m
Wow so they really passed that rule...last time I checked football was a contact sport. Calling bank now to set up my lowering the boom fund

LOLOLOL

Has Matt Forte ever hit anything hard?

Jason Peters' Return Expected Soon:

While Chip Kelly sat with reporters and discussed his approach to competition at the quarterback position while also debunking the notion that he’s some football mad scientist, he also revealed a few specific pieces of information related to what we should expect personnel-wise from the Eagles in 2013.

First, on the topic of Jason Peters, Kelly said that he expects the left tackle to be a full participant when the team convenes April 1 for the offseason conditioning program. Peters, of course, tore his Achilles twice last offseason and missed the entire 2012 season – one year after earning All Pro honors in 2011.

Kelly also hinted to reporters that the voluntary veteran minicamp which is afforded to teams with a new head coach is likely to take place during the third week of April, prior to the NFL Draft at the end of the month. It stands to reason that Peters has a chance of suiting up for the Eagles during that week for the first time since the end of the 2011 season.

As for the offensive line in general, Kelly outlined what he and the Eagles look for from the quarterback protectors.

"I think everybody's looking for the same thing," he said. "You want an athletic person at all spots, but they still have to be tough, hard-nosed, physical. Be able to knock people off the football."

The athletic ability and specifications of Kelly’s ideal players remained in focus when he was asked about a perceived preference for "bigger" players on both sides of the ball.

"You have to adjust to what you have," said Kelly. "No one's starting from square one and saying, how do we build the perfect defense, offense and special teams and you don't have 100 first-round draft picks either. So you could say, 'Hey, I really like that guy,' but he's gone. So you always have to make adjustments to what you do. But we want taller, longer people because big people beat up little people."

As long as they can catch the little people, that is. Which is why Kelly is also looking forward to unpacking the explosive speed of wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Kelly hinted, according to reports, that Jackson may be more involved in the punt return game than he was last season, but he also said comparisons between Jackson and Oregon standout DeAnthony Thomas, who excelled under Kelly both as a receiver and out of the backfield, are hit and miss.

"I think they're both similar in size and fast, but DeSean's a wide receiver and DeAnthony's a running back," said Kelly. "When we got DeAnthony, we looked at some of his traits and thought it was beneficial to get him involved, because we had LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner, how do we get him on the field at the same time? And he kind of naturally gravitated towards wide receiver, so he was kind of a running back/wide receiver for us. I don't know if DeSean has those qualities, but DeAnthony's been a running back his entire life and DeSean's been, from what I understand, a wide receiver his entire life, so they're not similar from that standpoint. They're both really, really fast. I think that's a similarity that is exciting to get a chance to get our hands on. But I don't look at DeSean as a running back."

Top Bottom