• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Draxal

"if we were going to go LB"....;)

DE, OL, CB in that order. With Mara's recent comments about getting better in the trenches and considering where we are with Boothe, I think we might finally see the Giants invest in an offensive lineman if the DE they want isn't there in the first.

Yeah, it's just the off the field flags for Ogletree are even larger then Teo's imaginary girlfriend.

I kinda honestly like what I read about Arthur Brown, and would entertain a trade down for him if the Giants could find a willing partner.

And yeah, I do think this year is might be the year that they would invest in an olineman, but I thought it was last year as well (I wanted Zeitler).

I hate this. Pats can't draft WRs at all. Would rather they trade for some established WR then draft one.

Aha! But now McDaniels is king in draft land and look what magic he did for the Rams!

I know how you feel, but maybe, just maybe, Bill decides to draft a guy based on past production and not some scrub from a small school who ran the fastest 3-cone. Plus when he drafts 2 guys, maybe he gets lucky with one!. Fact is we just need WRs and with our limited picks, we will probably get them via the draft.

LevelNth

Banned
The latest Walter mock just shows how there is no way the Niners are using all of their picks this year, there is just too much depth on the roster already. S is our weakest spot as it was thin behind Goldson and Whitner to begin with, and Whitner likely won't be back after this year either.

But we have Haralson back at OLB, and Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson from last year's draft, all for depth there. We also have Kilgore and Looney inside on the OL to replace Goodwin.

I'm not expecting much trading up, but I am expecting a couple trade outs into 2014. We will have a huge WR need next year.

This year should be all DL and S, with some TE/WR here or there.

SonnyBoy

One more quick one from Pro Football Focus while we have it open. In just his rookie season, Robert Griffin III was extraordinarily accurate with his passes.

PFF calculates an adjusted completion percentage that takes into account drops, batted passes, and passes that were off the mark because the quarterback was hit as he threw the ball.

So RG3’s official NFL completion percentage was 65.6 percent, good enough for fifth in the NFL. But when adjusted for drops (Griffin suffered from a 8.9 percent drop rate, the worst in the NFL), etc., his completion percentage was 79.6 percent. Only Aaron Rodgers had a better mark, 80.2 percent.

Not that you needed to be told that RG3 was pretty darn good but to be able to put the ball on target like that as a rookie is remarkable.

Source

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Wouldn't you have to take Joeckel over Fisher based on college alone? I mean SEC tackles see the best defenses in college sports whereas I couldn't even tell you who Central Michigan plays.

Or is the combine weighed that much more than film?

brentech

That sounds awesome!

I could play basketball/golf, ride my bike outside, grill, open the pool, unleash the kids in the yard. Instead we just got like 5 inches of snow two days ago.
Want to ride my bikes so bad, fuck.

Took it off my indoor trainer a few weeks back when we had a nice day, and now it's just hanging in the garage. Want a nice bike ride

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
That sounds awesome!

I could play basketball/golf, ride my bike outside, grill, open the pool, unleash the kids in the yard. Instead we just got like 5 inches of snow two days ago.

Yeah but you can't go outside in Texas for two to three months a year. It's like winter only you have to hide in the AC instead of the heat. At least if you're me, I saw people running outside for extended periods in Dallas. That's crazy.

My truck doesn't have AC. It wasn't fantastic!

my truck has a freon leak and I have an interview coming up for a new job so I'm waiting to get a new car until I find out if I got it or not

Yeah that does suck :(

Good luck on the interview. I hope you get the job!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Latest round of CBS Mock Drafts (Had to split in to three images)

Ugh...If the Lions draft Mingo or Ansah I'll be furious.

While I'd rather have Ansah over Mingo, I'm extremely uncomfortable drafting such a raw player who has had little experience in football. Sounds like a recipe for disaster with this franchise.

If I were a betting man, though, I'd say that's who they take. After the senior bowl out of nowhere his name started appearing for Detroit's pick at #5. My guess is some coaches were making it known.

squicken

Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN
49ers have hired Mick Lombardi, son of Michael Lombardi, as Jim Harbaugh's assistant with some coaching responsibilites.

Love it. Hiring friend, not people who earn it. Does it matter much? Nope. Maybe they 0.0001%. Maybe Dahl makes them 2% worse. But they are going the wrong way. Only one team for the Rams to catch

Ugh...If the Lions draft Mingo or Ansah I'll be furious.

While I'd rather have Ansah over Mingo, I'm extremely uncomfortable drafting such a raw player who has had little experience in football. Sounds like a recipe for disaster with this franchise.

If I were a betting man, though, I'd say that's who they take. After the senior bowl out of nowhere his name started appearing for Detroit's pick at #5. My guess is some coaches were making it known.
Everything I've read/seen indicates your Head coach really likes Ansah, and he did get a chance to coach him at the senior bowl. As for Mingo I hate him and don't understand why people have him going so high. Should be a interesting draft for all I suppose

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
NFL-Gaf Mock Draft 2013

1. Chiefs - ZootedGranny
2. Jaguars - Tamanon
3. Raiders - ChanHuk, Mackenzie 92
4. Eagles - Yankeehater, JABEE
5. Lions - WedgeX, Goldlion054, Kastrioti, Plinko
6. Browns - BlackGhost, Wes, theBatman
7. Cardinals - Squall ASF
8. Bills - LJ11
9. Jets - Fox318
10. Titans - Fidelis Hodie
11. Chargers - Nightz
12. Dolphins - The_Darkest_Red
13. Buccaneers - Colonel Nasty
14. Panthers - Bowser
15. Saints - cajunator
16. Rams - squicken, B for Bendetta
17. Steelers - DeaconKnowledge, chuckddd, Angmarsking701, 789shadow
18. Cowboys - cashman
19. Giants - Futurevoid, BigAT, Striker
20. Bears - cuevas, phd., Vio-lence
21. Bengals - eznark
22. Rams (from Redskins) - squicken, B for Bendetta
23. Vikings - BannedEpisode
24. Colts - SpinDasher
25. Vikings - from Seattle - BannedEpisode
26. Packers - eznark, TheLegendary
27. Texans - MechDX
28. Broncos - Godslay, Hunter S Thompson
29. Patriots - Dutch Patriot
30. Falcons - Talon
31. 49ers - FrenchMovieTheme
32. Ravens - BaltimoreLarry, Nakazato

Missing reps for the bolded teams. Please. Let's get fans to represent before we move to alternates.

Rules for NFL Mock Draft 2013 (If i'm forgetting anything or you have questions, feel free to point them out.):

Fans of the team pick for their own team. If we don't get enough of those, then we pick other people to fill the slots.

Rules are just like last year - It should be considered a consensus pick - team members should collaborate to choose someone instead of one just blurting out their pick. I'll be less patient in waiting; say, four hours selection time per team. You don't make the time, you get skipped. No trades - we're not doing a full 7 round mock so there's nothing of value to trade. Just pick who you believe your team will pick in your spot.

Collaboration is encouraged. We're trying for an open dialog this year so debating in the thread is encouraged, however if your team is the secretive type feel free to take it to PMs.

Dre3001

Latest round of CBS Mock Drafts (Had to split in to three images)

Funny how people think Geno will get past the Jags

They sent the whole organization pretty much (GM, all coaches, Team Pres., Director of Ops, etc) to his pro day and both the GM and head coach spoke with him for over 2 hours afterwards.

Thats awfully alot just to try and fake interest to get other teams to trade up

effzee

They sent the whole organization pretty much (GM, all coaches, Team Pres., Director of Ops, etc) to his pro day and both the GM and head coach spoke with him for over 2 hours afterwards.

The Eagles also went to see him at his pro day and a private workout the day before.

The GM, Coach, and Owner. Last time Lurie (Eagles owner) went to a private workout was McNabb in 99.

They also spoke to him for a long time and made him throw 80 + passes (typical Andy Reid game) and put him through some tough physical exercises. Yet people think all of that was to throw other teams off.

Who knows. Could be but I get the feeling the Eagles are genuinely interested in him. Vick is only on a 1 year contract. Foles is Foles. Yes this isn't the great QB class and Geno isn't hyped like other guys in previous years but if you hit on a QB it doesn't which class you pick him from now does it?

I still think the Raiders are in play for Milliner. Our secondary is in shambles and we haven't been able to get any help in FA.

CBs rarely get drafted that high. Maybe you guys can trade down with a team interested in Geno.

Though I don't get why the Raiders wouldn't be one of the teams seriously in it for Geno.

bionic77

Yeah but you can't go outside in Texas for two to three months a year. It's like winter only you have to hide in the AC instead of the heat. At least if you're me, I saw people running outside for extended periods in Dallas. That's crazy.
The day is long as fuck in the summer though, so you just go outside at like 7.

I have a bad knee so it feels and works better when I am in the heat. Plus I like sweating when I work out. I only hate 105+ weather or anything above 90 when I have to walk around in a suit. But when I am not working I love the heat. Then you can get out the shorts and flip flops. And as a parent you cannot underestimate how much better life is when your kids can play outside.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The Eagles also went to see him at his pro day and a private workout the day before.

The GM, Coach, and Owner. Last time Lurie (Eagles owner) went to a private workout was McNabb in 99.

They also spoke to him for a long time and made him throw 80 + passes (typical Andy Reid game) and put him through some tough physical exercises. Yet people think all of that was to throw other teams off.

Who knows. Could be but I get the feeling the Eagles are genuinely interested in him. Vick is only on a 1 year contract. Foles is Foles. Yes this isn't the great QB class and Geno isn't hyped like other guys in previous years but if you hit on a QB it doesn't which class you pick him from now does it?

CBs rarely get drafted that high. Maybe you guys can trade down with a team interested in Geno.

Though I don't get why the Raiders wouldn't be one of the teams seriously in it for Geno.

These posts make me happy. If Smith is taken ahead of #5, it's more possible that one of Fisher, Joeckel, or Milliner fall.

..and its official.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 2m

According to several reports, NFL has officially eliminated the "Tuck rule" at owners' meetings in Phoenix.

Ralph Vacchiano @RVacchianoNYDN 1m

Also passed, per reports: Running backs can no longer lead with the crown of their helmet ... That's an officiating nightmare, by the way.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 54s

Running back rule passed, 31-1. Illegal to lower crown of helmets. Tuck rule also passed.

How are they going to officiate the RB rule?

I'm really curious to see this.
This is now illegal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFKg69cSw4E

I want to pull out the gif of Jacobs trucking LaRon Landry back in '08. The reason being is because he doesn't lead with the crown of his helmet there. It's a shoulder hit direct to Landry's body but I'm sure officials will now flag that shit cause its "close enough".

So frustrating, so stupid.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter 1m

Tuck Rule passed 29-1, with New England and Washington abstaining.
:jnc

squicken

not the side, not the front, not the back. Just the crown. And only outside the tackle box. I have lots of problems with the NFL's rules, but this one is really just going to end up with offsetting penalties and guys getting fined. Very little impact.

People just don't understand that it's only the crown of the helmet that is outlawed. Can still lower your should and hit guys with the side of the helmet. Frank Gore can still lower his head between the tackles

KingGondo

Banned
How are they going to officiate the RB rule?

I'm really curious to see this.
This is just a way for the league to claim they're being proactive about CTE, but it'll be a nightmare to officiate and make the game worse.

I fear the TRENT TRUCK will have to tap the brakes.

People just don't understand that it's only the crown of the helmet that is outlawed. Can still lower your should and hit guys with the side of the helmet. Frank Gore can still lower his head between the tackles
I'm sure the refs will do a bang up job of making that distinction and injecting nuance into their calls!

..and its official.

Oh boy....going to be interesting to see how these calls go in the preseason and see if they're still struggling with it by the time the regular season starts. Some of these people, like Fisher, talk about it as if it's easier than we're making it. But you know some of these refs are just going to toss flags without any real thought to it. That's really my biggest problem with it. Most of the time it's not the rules that are the problem, it's the dopey refs that are all over the map in terms of interpreting and enforcing the rules.

Draxal

Vote on the helmet rule is coming today. No delay into May it seems. It looks like its going to pass, too.:(

Football Outsiders has an article on Adjusted Games Lost due to injury worth reading. Should give you a sense of whether you're right or wrong about your team being hit by the injury bug hard or not.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2013/2012-adjusted-games-lost

#1? The Niners.

Worst? The Packers.

Ya, that's why I won't give Barnwell too much shit for his predicitions of the Niners regressing. Health matters, and it's really abnormal to be top of the leagues in games played by starters 2 years in a row.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This is just a way for the league to claim they're being proactive about CTE, but it'll be a nightmare to officiate and make the game worse.

I fear the TRENT TRUCK will have to tap the brakes.

Oh dear god you're right.

BG! We made a huge mistake! Trent Truck is being downgraded into a mid-sized SUV. :(

squicken

I'm sure the refs will do a bang up job of making that distinction and injecting nuance into their calls!

There's no way they can do it well. Fisher said that they are taught on err on the side of safety, and if both guys lower their helmets, it will be offsetting penalties. The fines will get their heads up. but it happens so infrequently. How often does a RB in space drop his head and use it as a ram? That's the rule. He can still lower his head to protect the ball. Just can't lower it and use it as a weapon as in your Bradshaw video

The way I feel about it is that so many rules go against the defense, that this is a rule that make offensive players protect themselves, or get penalized. To me, the NFL rewards offensive players for making themselves defenseless, or exposing their heads to contact. This is a slight tilt to the defense, which imo is good

ET9wqjk.png

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I wish I was a football fan back then.

Maybe I would have learned to hate Tom Brady too instead of just have a mild dislike for him when he's on the football field because he's pretty good. :(

squicken

Rooney's lone team to vote to keep Tuck Rule. Twitter speculation being that since Ben won't throw the ball away, it benefits them for possibly dropped pump fakes to be ruled incomplete

cdyhybrid

This is just another sign that the evil reign of the cheating Patriots is over. Tammy's #1 henchman leaves to play for the greatest QB in the game not named Russell Wilson, and the imaginary rule that started their run is now being recognized as such.

P.S. Fuck you Goodell.

P.P.S. Go Hawks

Realistic question but can Roger Gooddell get fired or is he pretty much the commissioner until he steps down?

Owners would have to fire him, and he's doing a fine job of fucking over everyone else to benefit the owners.

The way I feel about it is that so many rules go against the defense, that this is a rule that make offensive players protect themselves, or get penalized. To me, the NFL rewards offensive players for making themselves defenseless, or exposing their heads to contact. This is a slight tilt to the defense, which imo is good
You say it's uncommon but that's exactly the point - how much more common is it going to become when refs call a shoulder to the chest of the defender leading with the crown of your helmet? By your own admission, the refs won't know how to officiate it well.

It's just another rule change that will lead to ambiguity in how the call is made and slow the game down with more yellow flags on the field.

I wish the NFL would be as aggressive with the helmet tech as they are with their rule changing.

...it's all about the safety chuck!

The Bengals were the lone team to vote against the helmet rule change by the way.

Top Bottom