• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Offseason Thread 2013 - Here comes the wait

Don't knock it til you tried it

ScQ87cW.png

lmao

awesome

jbug617

Banned
So you guys think the MLB is going to move their game? If the Ravens have to go on the road to open the season it will be against Denver.

James Walker posted an article on the top 5 receivers in the AFC East over on ESPN:

1. Mike Wallace
2. Steve Johnson
3. Santonio Holmes
4. Danny Amendola
5. Brian Hartline

Obviously this is mostly speculation at this point but the thought of the Dolphins having 2 of the top 5 in the division (and number 1) is incredibly refreshing after last season. It's also nice seeing Welker off the list.

All things considered it's a pretty bad division in terms of receivers, though.

Milchjon

James Walker posted an article on the top 5 receivers in the AFC East over on ESPN:

1. Mike Wallace
2. Steve Johnson
3. Santonio Holmes
4. Danny Amendola
5. Brian Hartline

Obviously this is mostly speculation at this point but the thought of the Dolphins having 2 of the top 5 in the division (and number 1) is incredibly refreshing after last season. It's also nice seeing Welker off the list.

[Wallace] had eight touchdowns last season, which is five more than all of Miami’s receivers in 2012.

I wasn't aware of how bad you guys had it last year.

I wasn't aware of how bad you guys had it last year.
It was so bad, man. Some people might try to place the blame mostly on Tannehill but it honestly came down to the simple fact that none of the receivers were explosive enough to create big plays on their own, and once they got to the red zone they might as well have stayed off the field.

I like Hartline and Bess, but those guys just aren't going to score a lot of TD's, especially when they are the two best receivers on the team. I'm sure Tannehill is pretty excited about the signing of Wallace and Gibson, and Keller isn't a bad pickup either, although I'm not convinced he's too substantial an upgrade over Fasano.

cajunator

Banned
One of our drivers is from boston. Its hilarious hearing him curse the cold weather up there in that accent. He's a good driver.

Fuck cold weather.

I want to go outside in shorts. I don't mind any heat under 100 degrees. The only thing I don't like about summers in the North East are the bugs.

Fuck wasps. No one will cry if they go extinct.

I don't either. Its 68F right now which is pretty nice, but it needs to get a bit warmer. 80s at least.

Anybody get the Hobbit?

Soon. Loved that movie! I find it funny that they are stretching it to three films for a 300 page book!

It was 91 degrees in the Woodlands on Monday.....awful.

91 isnt bad. Its pretty nice.

I wish the NFL would be as aggressive with the helmet tech as they are with their rule changing.

NFL doesnt actually care about helmet safety. that will cost more money.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R978jQELomo

Interesting test case. Is Peterson protecting himself, or delivering a blow? Hard to tell in real time

Man, this rule is going to suck.

Philbin finally giving some insight into how involved he is with personnel decisions:

(On how much input he’s had the offseason regarding signing free agents and the Draft) – “Yeah, it’s a collaborative effort. Jeff and I work closely together. His staff does a great job with their film evaluations. Our coaching staff, I think if you ask Jeff, has worked their tails off in regard to both the free agent evaluations and they’re into the college draft process as well. So it’s a cumulative effort. Certainly, I’m not the money. I don’t discuss contracts and offer him this much or that much. That’s not my area of expertise. They certainly kind of take control, but I think we both kind of decide that we like this player, we think he can help us, he can contribute to our success and let’s go after him. And then, certainly, I’m kind of out of it next.”

(On if he’s a little more involved in the personnel on the roster as opposed to last year when it was his first year) – “I’ve had more time. Let’s put it that way, absolutely. In the first year, you’re putting together a staff. You’re putting your calendar together, time frames, all those things. Obviously, we have a much better handle on that at this point. I would say definitely more of my time has been devoted to personnel.”
I like the sound of all of that!

effzee

I didn't realize posting the location for this years pro-bowl and making a joke about peoples excitement level equated to a complaint. I generally couldn't care less about the Pro-Bowl either but I understand why people take issue with it. They could do far more interesting things than a fake football game the players don't even care about but to each their own in that regard.

Oh I meant more in general. I see everyone on these boards complain about the pro bowl game but they really won't change it until the ratings dip. I just have to accept the fact that some people enjoy it and that these some people are actually quite a lot of people.

YH what you posted about Chip and DJAX just gave me a football boner! But literally everything he said is just so the opposite of Reid that I want to name him Coach of the Year already.

While Chip Kelly sat with reporters and discussed his approach to competition at the quarterback position while also debunking the notion that he’s some football mad scientist, he also revealed a few specific pieces of information related to what we should expect personnel-wise from the Eagles in 2013.

First, on the topic of Jason Peters, Kelly said that he expects the left tackle to be a full participant when the team convenes April 1 for the offseason conditioning program. Peters, of course, tore his Achilles twice last offseason and missed the entire 2012 season – one year after earning All Pro honors in 2011.

Kelly also hinted to reporters that the voluntary veteran minicamp which is afforded to teams with a new head coach is likely to take place during the third week of April, prior to the NFL Draft at the end of the month. It stands to reason that Peters has a chance of suiting up for the Eagles during that week for the first time since the end of the 2011 season.

As for the offensive line in general, Kelly outlined what he and the Eagles look for from the quarterback protectors.

"I think everybody's looking for the same thing," he said. "You want an athletic person at all spots, but they still have to be tough, hard-nosed, physical. Be able to knock people off the football."

The athletic ability and specifications of Kelly’s ideal players remained in focus when he was asked about a perceived preference for "bigger" players on both sides of the ball.

"You have to adjust to what you have," said Kelly. "No one's starting from square one and saying, how do we build the perfect defense, offense and special teams and you don't have 100 first-round draft picks either. So you could say, 'Hey, I really like that guy,' but he's gone. So you always have to make adjustments to what you do. But we want taller, longer people because big people beat up little people."

As long as they can catch the little people, that is. Which is why Kelly is also looking forward to unpacking the explosive speed of wide receiver DeSean Jackson. Kelly hinted, according to reports, that Jackson may be more involved in the punt return game than he was last season, but he also said comparisons between Jackson and Oregon standout DeAnthony Thomas, who excelled under Kelly both as a receiver and out of the backfield, are hit and miss.

"I think they're both similar in size and fast, but DeSean's a wide receiver and DeAnthony's a running back," said Kelly. "When we got DeAnthony, we looked at some of his traits and thought it was beneficial to get him involved, because we had LaMichael James and Kenjon Barner, how do we get him on the field at the same time? And he kind of naturally gravitated towards wide receiver, so he was kind of a running back/wide receiver for us. I don't know if DeSean has those qualities, but DeAnthony's been a running back his entire life and DeSean's been, from what I understand, a wide receiver his entire life, so they're not similar from that standpoint. They're both really, really fast. I think that's a similarity that is exciting to get a chance to get our hands on. But I don't look at DeSean as a running back."

Particularly the bold text! Never in a million years would Reid go for size over speed or adjust any of him game plan to fit the personnel. Now Chip has to do it but its just so refreshing to hear a coach say he will look at what he has and then devise his gameplan. Not the other way around. That you don't have unlimited draft picks so you have to work with a lot of guys whose skills might not be perfect for what you used to run.

Fuck yeah Chip!

1. Mike Wallace
2. Steve Johnson
3. Santonio Holmes
4. Danny Amendola
5. Brian Hartline

How is Stevie not number one there? Dude is top 10 in the NFL easy.

I can't get over the awesomeness that is this hat:

nLszuW0.jpg

I'm gonna look all over California for that thing.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Might be the best time for Ozzie Newsome to come on home to Alabama, to be AD.

• Mal Moore retires
  • Baltimore has fallen apart.

Win Win!

Oh I meant more in general. I see everyone on these boards complain about the pro bowl game but they really won't change it until the ratings dip. I just have to accept the fact that some people enjoy it and that these some people are actually quite a lot of people.
Gotcha. Apologies for the misunderstanding...

squicken

Might be the best time for Ozzie Newsome to come on home to Alabama, to be AD.

• Mal Moore retires
  • Baltimore has fallen apart.

Win Win!

And by giving Flacco that giant deal, he insured they'll be bad for 5 more years, so no one can ever say De Costa was the man behind the curtain. Smart plan

I keep my apartment on 65, haha. My wife isn't a huge fan of that at times, though.
*brofist*

I'm the same way. Drives my wife nuts, too since he wants the place to 75 or above and that's just uncomfortable as hell for me. I'm a heat generator when I sleep so while my wife is covered in 4 blankets, I'm in my shorts and a T-Shirt with no covers. :jnc

effzee

And by giving Flacco that giant deal, he insured they'll be bad for 5 more years, so no one can ever say De Costa was the man behind the curtain. Smart plan

Pretty sure this won't happen. They might miss the playoffs this coming season but they will be a playoff team soon enough.

Ozzie could also always hit out of the park again in the draft.

Powers is on the Cardinals now, watch him all of a sudden have a career year after leaving us.

Tim Jennings still irritates me, even if it was more of a scheme/coaching thing in Indy. Dude would play 15 yards off everyone, give up a dozen 10 yard catches, and STILL get beat deep time and time again. Then he goes to Chicago....

squicken

Damn, this is a great quote by Shad Khan

If you are honest with yourself and the team and the fans, there’s only one thing to do when it’s 2-14. When it’s 8-8 you can be conflicted as to how much baby and how much bathwater there is, but here there was no baby -- it was just water.”

cdyhybrid

Radio just said they're considering letting the players pick the Pro Bowl teams.

I should clarify: Each Pro Bowl team would have a captain and they'd pick the players they want on their team out of the Pro Bowl selections.

Tabris

NHL does that now. It's fun as it's like a fantasy team draft. It's like the only thing interesting about the all star game. Last pick gets a car.

squicken

NFL has given up making Pro Bowl a game. It will become a TV show. Goodell was talking about having bonuses based on last two minutes, per quarter. Regional combines, free agent signing day, path to draft. Lots of ways to create more "reality" TV that they can sell

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
On NFL AM, Nate Burleson guaranteed that Detroit would win the NFC North this year.

*Sigh*

I know some fellow Lions fans may disagree due to the inherent negativity that is in our blood stream, but we're as good and talented as any team in the NFL. The stats are there, we've finally add those last few pieces and the most important thing is now that the key components to our team stay healthy. 20 teams in the league would kill to have a 24 year old stud like Stafford at QB.

I saw a mock draft today that had the Iggles picking up Star Lotulei since he's been cleared by doctors. That would be great for the Iggles but us as well considering that allows Dee Milliner or Eric Fischer to fall to us.

Tabris

NFL has given up making Pro Bowl a game. It will become a TV show. Goodell was talking about having bonuses based on last two minutes, per quarter. Regional combines, free agent signing day, path to draft. Lots of ways to create more "reality" TV that they can sell

I'm for it. Why not get more football in?

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I still think he's tanking to move to LA.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=48qo6bJGgOc

The summary of the Jags under Khan.

No doubt about it at this point. The fact he and the NFL are trying to feign the idea the Jags will always be in Jacksonville will backfire like it did with Clay Bennett, David Stern and the whole Seattle Supersonics situation.

Although I feel bad for Jacksonville, there is no reason they should have an NFL team over the 2nd most populated city in the US, and possibly the most influential.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m
49ers gave K Phil Dawson a one-year, $2.25 million deal, including $1 million signing bonus. Great deal for Niners, not-so-great for Dawson.

I think he's just happy to go from the Browns to the Niners

To add something to this thread :

1. Liv Taylor was insanely beautiful. Top 10 all time, almost on Brady his level.
2. I'm craving sushi right now.

Top Bottom